Great Western Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust

01793 604020 Great Western Hospital, Marlborough Road , Swindon, Wiltshire, SN3 6BB

Johnnyv321 reviewed Great Western Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust

Urgent Care Department

I'd been suffering headaches for about 2 weeks and had my blood pressure taken. Turned out it was extremely high and I was told to seek urgent medical advice. I do not have a GP as on the rare occasions I am sick I tend to just get on with it so despite asking to register with a GP I could not find a receptionist anywhere who would even let me speak to a Dr. I then rang 111 who said my blood pressure needed urgent attention as I was potentially having a hypertensive crisis. They instructed me to go to Urgent Care at Great Western Hospital in Swindon. I waited for almost 2 hours to be seen and was quite concerned this whole time.
I eventually saw a nurse who asked me why I did not have a Dr and I explained. I began to explain why I was there and they cut me off saying 'It's not my problem'. I was totally taken aback and angry and immediately left. I'd had a pretty stressful morning trying to find someone to see and was really quite concerned for my health so this reaction from a nurse was surprising and upsetting.

Visited in September 2017. Posted on 12 September 2017 using Care Opinion

Great Western Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust has not yet replied.

Ali Harman gave Great Western Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

Eye Clinic - Fab staff

Having the unfortunate need to visit the eye clinic at present. All staff are very friendly & helpful and accommodating. In my particular case I received some conflicting advice however two members of staff have been instrumental in ensuring all my concerns are met, one has gone above & beyond to provide reassurance and prompt reviews, they really are my advocate.

Visited in July 2017. Posted on 25 July 2017

Great Western Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust replied on 05 September 2017

Thank you for your feedback on your recent experience at the eye clinic at the Great Western Hospital. I am sorry for the delay in our response. Please be assured your comments will be passed on to the relevant staff responsible for the mentioned areas which will be greatly appreciated.

Sue P gave Great Western Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

Amazing service

I dropped a heavy frying pan on my big toe and dislodged my toe nail leaving it half off bleeding and painful. I went to A and E expecting a long wait on a busy Saturday afternoon. My wait time was shorted than expected and the service I received was second to none. After a precautionary x-ray, the staff nurse anesthetized my toe, removed my nail, cleaned it and replaced it. The nurse was gentle and kind, explained everything to me and carefully taped the nail in place. As a result I had very little pain and still have a nail in place some 5 weeks later. Ì did not even know it could be done so a really big thank you for the service I received
Sue Phillipss

Visited in July 2017. Posted on 05 September 2017

Great Western Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust has not yet replied.

Trevor Williamson gave Great Western Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

A 111 call

On the advice of a local pharmacist I dialled the 111 service on Sunday the 2nd.July and described my symptoms. Within an hour a Doctor phoned me to give me an appointment at Chippenham Hospital. There I was given a prescription for a course of antibiotics by the out of hours doctor, which I then picked up from the chemist. My symptoms are now greatly
relieved thanks to all concerned. This whole process from start to finish had taken less than 2 hours, this is a remarkable service......thank you and congratulations to all of you on a brilliant NHS.

Visited in July 2017. Posted on 04 July 2017

Great Western Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust replied on 05 September 2017

Please accept my apologies for the delay in our response
Thank you for your feedback on your recent experience with the 111 service which we will pass on to the relevant area which will be greatly appreciated.

Linda T gave Great Western Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

Fantastic surgeon and wonderful care!

I just had to write and give my heartfelt thanks to the most excellent experience I had for my hip replacement. From the moment of arrival to my departure I cannot praise enough the care by friendly and extremely professional staff. Everyone ranging from the cleaner to the surgeon were welcoming, helpful and willing to keep me informed. I can't get over how attentive the people and the cleanliness was.the ward staff were amazing and there straight away if you needed them.
I jokingly told the staff I would put the hospital on trip advisor.
My wound was checked with Wow's of admiration by the nurses at my GP's and my mobility is brilliant already only 2 weeks after my operation.
Thank you so much and keep up the fantastic work you all do!

Visited in June 2017. Posted on 05 July 2017

Great Western Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust replied on 05 September 2017

Thank you for your feedback on your recent experience at the Great Western Hospital. I am sorry for the delay in our response. Please be assured your comments will be passed on to the relevant staff responsible for the mentioned areas which will be greatly appreciated.
I trust you are recovering well.

A&E / Woodpecker Ward

My father was brought to A&E in the early hours of the morning, I spent many hours with him and cannot speak highly enough of the care and courteous attention he was shown. The efforts of all in the department are truly remarkable given how very very busy they are.....Thank you.
Subsequently Dad was moved to Woodpecker Ward where the staff were superb, Dad was treated with great respect and caring.
My thanks to all concerned who work tirelessly and with such dedication, you gave me my Dad back.

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 16 February 2017

Great Western Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust replied on 20 February 2017

Thank you for telling us about your experience in the A&E department and Woodpecker ward, at the Great Western Hospital. We are delighted to hear your positive feedback on the care and treatment your Dad received. We will share your comments with both teams who will very much appreciate that you took the time to get in touch.

ENT Out patients

Superb, caring and patient service. 91 year old lady treated with the greatest care, concern and patience. Nothing too much trouble, and thorough examination and treatment from the staff.

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 24 February 2017

Great Western Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust replied on 27 February 2017

Thank you for your feedback on your recent experience at the Great Western Hospital. It was lovely to read that you had a positive experience in ENT .Please be assured your comments will be passed on to the relevant staff responsible for the mentioned areas which will be greatly appreciated.

Care of the elderly

My aunty was on Jupiter ward, the care and understanding she had for the time she was there was 100%. I would like to say a big thank you to all of the staff who tended her needs, who remained happy and committed to her until she sadly passed away.

Visited in January 2017. Posted on 08 February 2017

Great Western Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust replied on 09 February 2017

Thank you for your feedback regarding the care your Aunt received on Jupiter Ward at the Great Western Hospital. Please accept our sincere condolences on your loss, and thank you for taking the time to contact us at such a sad time. Please be assured your comments will be passed on to the relevant staff responsible for the mentioned areas which will be greatly appreciated.

Thyroid Operation

I could not have had better care whilst during in my consultations, during the operation or after the operation. Thank you

Visited in October 2016. Posted on 08 February 2017

Great Western Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust replied on 09 February 2017

Thank you for your feedback on your recent experience at the Great Western Hospital. Please be assured your comments will be passed on to the relevant staff responsible for the mentioned areas which will be greatly appreciated. I trust you are recovering well from your operation and I wish you the best for the future.

Anonymous gave Great Western Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 4 stars

Professional and Caring Scanning Appointment

I needed to have a couple of ultra sound scans yesterday and I wanted to say “thank you” for a great service.

The signage in reception was clear, the appointment was ahead of time, the facilities were clean, and all the staff I spoke to were helpful, polite and professional.

I often despair at the media for trying to create a dichotomy between “Caring” and “Professional” , as if someone cannot be both things. I’m grateful that the staff, especially the radiographer who did the actual scanning demonstrated that many people in our hospitals are able to combine both attributes, despite the pressures in the current system.

Visited in September 2016. Posted on 28 September 2016