The Newcastle Upon Tyne Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust

(0191) 233 6161 Freeman Hospital, Freeman Road, High Heaton , Newcastle-upon-Tyne, Tyne and Wear, NE7 7DN

Eric Peel reviewed The Newcastle Upon Tyne Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust

Change of appointment!

My name Eric Peel.

Firstly, I have to say I am a big Freeman Hospital supporter!

However, I received a letter changing my appointment with my consultant from November 21 to September 12th, not a problem. But I need an Echo Scan for the consultant to look at and assess. I've been told that my Echo Scan is still booked for November 21st and can't be changed. My simple question was, is there any point in me seeing the consultant without an Echo Scan as all my previous appointments I had to have one?

I think my biggest gripe has been the total breakdown in communications, i.e. trying to speak to someone who has any idea what's going on. I rang last week and I couldn't understand the member of staff who answered the phone, I was transferred to another person who, said they couldn't help me, before I even asked a question!
If it means I have to travel from Corbridge, Northumber to the Freeman Hospital in September and travel again in November so be it, I will do it.

Sorry, If I appear to be a pain, but trying to access this department and get some help and guidance has been very stressful.

Visited in September 2017. Posted on 05 September 2017

The Newcastle Upon Tyne Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust replied on 08 September 2017

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback on our Cardiology Services at the Freeman Hospital. We would like to sincerely apologise for your poor experience of our service and can confirm that your Consultant is aware that the Echo results will not be available for the new clinic date. However, should an Echo be clinically indicated on the day of your appointment the department will accommodate this. Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused to you as a result of this change.

Deric Fleck gave at The Newcastle Upon Tyne Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

Hernia operation

Went to the freeman for 7.30am on 23/05/17 to have hernia operation! It was very busy, but was not kept waiting long! I was put on to a ward, where a lovely nurse introduced themself, and showed me what i needed to do! I had my op around dinner time! and to say i was a bit frightened, is an understatement! i was re-assured by all of the staff involved! right from the receptionist, to cleaners, porters, nursing staff, and theatre staff! The op went fine! i was discharged later that day! All of the staff were truly professional and friendly! They are all truly angels in my eyes!

Visited in May 2017. Posted on 24 May 2017

The Newcastle Upon Tyne Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust replied on 03 July 2017

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback on NHS Choices regarding your recent experience when attending the Freeman Hospital for a Hernia Operation.

We are pleased your experience was so positive, that the staff were professional and were able to put your mind at rest for your operation. Our staff pride themselves on a team approach to ensure they meet the expectations of each individual and they will be happy to learn they were able to on this occasion when we feedback your positive comments to the team.

Anonymous gave The Newcastle Upon Tyne Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

IR dept. & Treatment day centre

Was a day patient on 12/4/2017 & can't thank all staff involved enough for their kindness, professionalism & caring. From the member of cleaning staff & porter to the nursing & IR staff & surgeon they were incredible. All worries & fears were allayed & I would have no qualms about returning should I have to. Thank you all so much.

Visited in April 2017. Posted on 15 April 2017

The Newcastle Upon Tyne Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust replied on 03 July 2017

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent hospital experience while attending the Day Treatment Centre and IR department on NHS Choices, together with a rating of 5 stars. We are very pleased to hear you felt supported and reassured during your hospital stay.

We are delighted you were put at ease and the whole experience met with your expectations. Thank you for your comments regarding the professionalism, dignity and respect you were shown by all levels of staff and we will take great pleasure in sharing your feedback with the whole team.

Jasona reviewed The Newcastle Upon Tyne Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust

Visiting

I spent ten minutes search ing the website for visiting hours. My daughter was also searching on her iPad. We couldn't find any information except the NHS website that said go to the hospital website.

Visited in April 2017. Posted on 15 April 2017

The Newcastle Upon Tyne Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust replied on 03 May 2017

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback regarding the information available on the internet and we are sorry that you had difficulty finding the information you required concerning visiting times. We have recommended that NHS Choices, a separate website to our Trust, make the information more easily accessible.

Information about visiting hours is available on our Trust website through the patient and visitor guides tab on the home page or via the following direct link:

Via NHS Choices the information is available through the following link: http://www.nhs.uk/Services/hospitals/MapsAndDirections/DefaultView.aspx?id=1232

Cusoe reviewed The Newcastle Upon Tyne Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust

Problems with communication

I was informed, by the surgeon, that I required a mitral valve operation and that the operation would take place in 6 to 8 weeks. Having heard nothing after six weeks I telephoned the surgeon's secretary. I left a message on the answerphone but received no reply. Over the next few weeks I regularly phoned three numbers provided on the answerphone message. Nobody ever answered my messages or returned 'phone calls. Eventually, after 12 weeks, I wrote a letter of complaint. However, it still took another 6 weeks before my operation.
Following discharge from hospital I was told that I would be reviewed by the surgical team in 6 to 8 weeks. After six weeks I again rang to ask about this. Over the next two weeks I rang several times. Staff could not access records or failed to return 'phone calls when promised. Eventually I was reviewed after 3 months. The surgeon commented, "They must have forgotten you".
The systemic failures in communication made me feel that my case was not being supervised or progressed by anybody and caused immense stress to myself and my family.

Visited in January 2017. Posted on 06 April 2017 using Care Opinion

The Newcastle Upon Tyne Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust replied on 10 April 2017

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback on your experiences regarding your mitral valve operation. We are extremely disappointed to read that you have had such an unsatisfactory experience with poor communication and follow up, and apologise for the distress this has caused. We note that you mention you have previously written a letter of complaint and we would be grateful if you could contact the Matron for Cardiothoracic Services directly so that we can look again at your specific areas of concern and ensure processes are in place so that the experience you have had is not repeated.

David Johnson gave at The Newcastle Upon Tyne Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

Could not be better

Just had gall bladder revived Friday 18 November 2016.from arriving at 7 am to leaving at 530 pm the day treatment centre could not have looked after me better. .every single member of staff I encountered were brilliant. Many thanks to you all . David Johnson

Visited in November 2016. Posted on 19 November 2016

The Newcastle Upon Tyne Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust has not yet replied.

Grateful Welshman gave The Newcastle Upon Tyne Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

Excellent cardiac rehab service

I had a heart attack in November, and was referred on to the Cardiac Rehab Service based at Kenton Centre, run by the Community Directorate. A truly excellent experience. The nurse was highly knowledgeable, helpful and very contactable for queries, and the sporting team equally superb. Couldn't recommend them strongly enough. Very grateful, thank you.

Visited in November 2016. Posted on 30 January 2017

The Newcastle Upon Tyne Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust replied on 07 February 2017

We would like to thank you very much for taking the time to leave your very positive comments about your cardiac rehabilitation classes at Kenton. The nurses in this team are part of the Cardiothoracic Directorate and work hard alongside the exercise instructors to support patients after their acute cardiac events and help support them to recover. We are extremely pleased to read that you have had such a positive experience, all members of the Community Cardiac Rehabilitation Team will be very pleased to read your comments.

Bigears reviewed The Newcastle Upon Tyne Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust

Didnt even know you could leave a review

Was rushed in the RVI last year A&E was excellent doctor and nurses were professional and very understanding... It was when a was put on the ward 47 it was terrible from nurses to the consultant it felt like they were to busy to understand your condition from not given me the correct meds to the doses and even on discharging me it felt like they couldn't get me out quick enough a had No money no transport a,was still unwell took me nearly 2hrs to walk home as was still in pain a did complain to the trust about this and a got no response from email so a very doubt my review will be published as looking through some of the reviews left Looks like No negative ones get left so how our they supposed to learn from it ye probably all indenial how at times you do get it wrong but wont admit it

Visited in August 2016. Posted on 20 February 2017

The Newcastle Upon Tyne Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust replied on 21 February 2017

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on NHS Choices about your admission to the Royal Victoria Infirmary last year.

We note and acknowledge your positive feedback about the staff in the Emergency Department.

Please accept our apologies that you felt the care you received on Ward 47 and the discharge arrangements were less than satisfactory. Without further details it is very difficult to investigate and comment on the issues that you have raised but we would be very keen to do so. We are always keen to learn from feedback, both positive and negative therefore Matron Sue Cook has asked that you contact her directly to discuss your concerns. Her direct dial is 0191 2829192. Alternatively you may wish to contact the Patient Relations Department on Email Patient.relations@nuth.nhs.uk or Telephone 0191 223 1382.

Hazel gave at The Newcastle Upon Tyne Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

Friendly and personal service

I attended ward 45 as a day case to have my gallbladder removed. All the staff were so friendly and really put me at ease. I was kept well informed throughout the day and felt really well looked after. The staff on ward 45 and the surgical team are a real credit to the NHS.

Visited in July 2016. Posted on 23 July 2016

The Newcastle Upon Tyne Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust replied on 12 August 2016

We would like to thank you for the compliments left for us on NHS Choices. We are delighted you had a positive experience and that the staff were friendly, whilst communicating effectively throughout your stay. Your feedback has been shared with the whole team involved, and they will be encouraged by you kind remarks.

Anonymous gave at The Newcastle Upon Tyne Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

Outstanding care from the excellent team on Ward 46

This was my second time on Ward 46 for fairly significant abdominal surgery. Given a previously very negative experience on Ward 44, the staff on 46 restored my faith in the NHS. All of the staff on the ward provided exceptional quality care and everyone - from HCAs to nurses, the support staff, the ward doctors and even the never-popular physios worked together brilliantly to provide high quality care throughout my stay. The level of clinical care and the attention to concerns and comfort were all first class. The staff were a friendly bunch with a good sense of humour that helped make the stay as good as it could be. Huge thanks to the whole team on 46.

Visited in July 2016. Posted on 27 July 2016

The Newcastle Upon Tyne Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust has not yet replied.