Lancashire Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust

01772 716565 Chief Executive's Office, Royal Preston Hospital, Sharoe Green Lane, Fulwood , Preston, Lancashire, PR2 9HT

Anonymous gave Lancashire Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 3 stars

Not the Best

I visited the Cardio Catheter Suite for removal of my internal loop recorder (the older version)..My appointment had already been cancelled once after both myself and my husband making arrangements with work. On the day I arrived for my appointment we waited for over 35 minutes before being told that due to an emergency they were running late.We were told to go and get food as had been nil food since previous night as instructed. So I knew straight away it would be 4 hours plus before I would have my op , We were then told to have a cup of tea and would be ""squeezed in''"in approx an hour. I queried being able to drink tea so soon before and was assured I would be ok. I then came back up and was taken into the ward and waited by my bed for over an hour but my husband wasn't told anything and another visitor went and told him I hadn't been to theatre yet. Then the nursing staff came and said I was just having a local anaesthetic which I said I wasn't happy with as I had such sedation on having the implant put in,that I knew nothing till I was in recovery and it had been a great experience. The member of staff told me due to how busy they were there wasn't the time for that level of recovery. I made it clear I wasn't happy,so they put a canular in for sedative. They needn't have bothered, I had 5mg of sedative,was fully alert,felt the awful local anaesthetic in my breast area and the ""slight""tugging I would feel was anything but slight, it hurt. I'm not a complainer of pain but I know the fantastic treatment I received when the implant was put in and the massive difference in this lstest treatment removing it. I felt everything except the inscision and stitches,Not good!!Then only because I know I always have to drink fluid at any visit I have to hospitals due to very low blood pressure I realised why a jug of water was left in front of me...not like the smiley nurse last time who explained I couldn't go home till the nurse was happy with it and kept checking me...oh no,on this occasion the water was just left and the nurse came back to 're take my blood pressure which was still low....I saidI""it's my blood pressure isn't it?this always happens" The nurse said oh right ,well its gone up slightly and did a "cringe""face and said "but if you're normally low""another cringe face...then you can go"" Nothing like my first experience which was careful monitoring and full explanations of everything. Totally unlike my visits to the lovely staff down I cardiology aswell....I felt due to the sudden rush of the added emergency there was lack of time which led to lack of care and basic kindness...maybe they should have 're arranged to a day where they had time to administer a decent level of patient care.My daughter was allowed to sit with me before and after my first op ,my husband was just left in the waiting area with no info till the other visitor commented how bad that was and went to him herself. Poor lady in next bed had no one at home and basically told to get on with it.

Visited in October 2017. Posted on 03 October 2017

Lancashire Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust replied on 09 October 2017

You are quite right in your description "not the best" and this falls so short of what we strive offer our patients in terms of excellence in care, of a standard we would want for our own loved ones.

Would you please consider contacting our Patient Advice and Liaison Service on 01772 522972; they will want to help take this foward for you with the Cardiac team. Please accept our apologies and we hope to hear from you via PALS.

Ceri Adams gave Lancashire Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

Medical assessment unit were amazing!!

I arrived from my GP on Thursday the 12th of October last week after suffering crippling pains in my head, I stayed for two days and was discharged on Saturday afternoon.

When I arrived one of the nurses could see I was distressed and took my hand(I had my eyes covered, as I had extreme photophobia) the nurse walked me to a chair and sat me down, they then ran and got me an eye shield and gave it to me to help me shield the light from my eyes.

Everyone in there were extremely brilliant, it was very busy and they were rushing around however the care I received was second to none. They gave everyone individual time and made sure everyone was okay, even the more difficult cases. I have never been so grateful to them, it believed it helped me recover quickly as it is only Monday and I’m back at work, feeling okay.

Visited in October 2017. Posted on 16 October 2017

Lancashire Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust replied on 18 October 2017

We're grateful to you for reaching out and letting us know about how things went for you at the Medical Assessment Unit, it's very reassuring for us to hear from our patients when things go well so that we can share and celebrate good practice.

We hope things have settled down now and you are fully on the mend

Anonymous gave Lancashire Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 1 stars

A&E then overnight stay

The ambulance to A&E was reassuring, thank you, you made an extremely painful and distressing time a lot less traumatising.

Once i got there whoever my nurse was started barking at me not to take so much gas and air, made me feel like i was a burden, expected me to sit in pain just because they needed my trolley for someone else, kept telling me to put my pants on (i had none on because i was in too much pain to get dressed before the ambulance came and as their painkillers wren't working i was still in too much pain) but i thought i'd try put them on with help except nobody helped me.

Same on the ward, as soon i eventually managed to hobble to the toilet they took my trolley, again leaving me in an excessive amount of pain. The stay overall was ok, i pretty much got as much painkillers as i asked for and eventually they started to work. I decided to catch up on some sleep now they were working, 30 mins later i was being woken up to be sent home as they needed my bed.

I feel like just because their painkillers did not work straight away they thought it was ok to treat me poorly because they expected me to be able to go home. Sorry but you don't know my body. I have cPTSD and it takes me just about everything to ask for help, i don't just ask for no reason. I was made to feel traumatised over my short stay in hospital.

Icing on the cake was waking me up from my sleep to send me home, despite my leg being numb and me being mostly unable to walk still, because they needed my bed. I was literally taken down to where the taxis come and dumped there. They didn't give me my painkillers before i went. I was too off my face on morphine to make sure i got sorted on the way out. No preparations were made for any home care either, not sure why they asked me if i could do self care.

I am on this website looking for PALS and hoping that next time this happens i will have someone there to make sure i am looked after properly and not treated like a burden because i don't magically get better when given strong painkillers..

Visited in October 2017. Posted on 19 October 2017

Lancashire Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust replied on 20 October 2017

We are concerned to read this and understand why you would feel this was a poor experience overall.

PALS can be contacted Monday to Friday 9 - 4pm on 01772 522972. They will liaise with the Emergency Department and the relevant ward to hopefully resolve this.

Anonymous gave at Lancashire Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

One stop clinic

Having been given an urgent referral, I visited the one stop clinic and could not have been more impressed with the amazing service. I had a ultra sound scan, a probe, and an examination and was given the results all within the space of approximately 20 minutes. The staff were friendly, efficient, professional and I was treated with the utmost care and dignity. I cannot fault the staff or the service provided.
I would like to thank all involved and would highly recommend this excellent service.
Thank you very much.

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 08 August 2017

Lancashire Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust replied on 08 August 2017

We're glad to hear this and it must have been a relief for you too. Thanks for letting us know - we will be sure to pass your feedback on to the team who will really appreciate it.

R Mason gave at Lancashire Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

Nothing short of amazing

I was an inpatient between the 18th and 20th July 2017 on Sellers Ward CDH. The service I received was nothing short of outstanding. The wards were spotless and the cleanest I have ever been on. The staff whether they be cleaners, hca's, APs, nurses, students or doctors were fabulous. Truly caring, professional and empathetic. Nothing was ever too much trouble for any of them. There was/is a wonderful nurse who is a credit to the trust, the students were wonderful and caring and will be fantastic qualified nurses. I was sad to go home. Thank you everyone for such wonderful care and treatment x

Visited in July 2017. Posted on 20 July 2017

Lancashire Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust replied on 21 July 2017

This is a pleasure to read and it will be so greatly appreciated by the team on Sellers as well as the Domestic Services Management. Thank you very much for letting us know

Betty Stevens gave Lancashire Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

A and E Preston

I attended A and E at Preston for a broken Humerus. Everyone I encountered from the reception , nursing triage, xray and Physiotherapy staff were excellent. They explained everything can only praise the staff. Thank you.

Visited in July 2017. Posted on 31 July 2017

Lancashire Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust replied on 01 August 2017

Thank you for your kind words of appreciation for the care and service provided to you when you attended our Emergency Department.

The staff work extremely hard to provide a service to meet the needs of individual patients, but it is always tremendously reassuring to receive confirmation from patients or their relatives that this is indeed the case.

I have ensured that your comments have been shared with the teams and also the management team.

We hope that you are recovering well from your injury.

Anne T gave Lancashire Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 1 stars

21 weeks and still waiting for urgent surgery.....

A close relative of mine has now been waiting well over the 'maximum 18 weeks' for kidney stone surgery. Despite suffering pain and nausea. contacting PALS, CCG, PHSO seems ineffective - the wait is scheduled to continue into October. I have just been reading the CQC's Quality Report published in April and the authorities are well aware that the 18 week waiting period was not being complied with and say the Trust must take action to improve this. If our distressing experience is anything to go by the efforts to improve are not working.

Visited in July 2017. Posted on 12 September 2017

Lancashire Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust replied on 15 September 2017

We understand the frustration of waiting for surgery when the patient is in pain. All patients are listed in order of when the referral is first received, taking into consideration each patient's clinical priority. Some types of kidney stone surgery are highly specialised and the Trust is not able to arrange extra lists elsewhere, such as through private providers, which would otherwise reduce patients' waiting times.

We are concerned to read that you felt PALS to be ineffective; PALS liaises with the relevant department with the aim of obtaining a thorough and clear explanation behind a patient's waiting time for surgery. If you feel this was not the case we would ask you to speak with the patient and request that they contact Mrs Cath Eaton, senior PALS Advisor, on 01772 522972.

Bob Futter gave Lancashire Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

Laparoscopic right hemicolectomy

I was admitted to Royal Preston Hospital on March 6th 2017 after referral by my GP worried about a raised acute phase protein level. I had presented with fatigue and abdominal discomfort. It was a long day as we waited for attention at different times. Much to my surprise I was admitted and given antibiotic intravenously as there was a chance I had a bacterial infection. In the few days I was in hospital there were a number of procedures for differential diagnosis purposes. Towards the end of my few days I met the consultant for the first time. They informed me I had a lump in my colon and that a colonoscopy was needed to determine the character of the lump.

The colonoscopy revealed a tumour in my caecum.

A little later I was given a date for pre-operative assessment and a provisional date for surgery. I felt well informed and listened to. At this stage I went to RPH and spoke with a specialist nurse and they were very helpful and supportive.

My pre-operative assessment indicated I was ‘very fit’ so the consultant surgeon performed, with their team, a laparoscopic right hemicolectomy on March 31st. I was admitted to Ward 12 for recovery. The organisation of all those involved was first class, I was still feeling informed and listened to. I had a difficult couple of days recovering and was in Ward 12 for a little longer than I had hoped. I struggled with ‘paralytic ileus’ but was assured by those around, especially the consultant, that all was well and I just needed a little time to recover. This reassurance at that time was important to my recovery. I was well cared for, kept informed and listened to throughout. The specialist nurse supported my recovery by helping me walk as well as continual verbal reassurance.

I recently celebrated my 65th birthday with all my family and the joy was unbounded for us all. I feel very fit.

The monitoring of my gut will continue and I feel in very capable hands. Thank you to all the team and all those involved with my treatment. Their expertise, knowledge and care were superb and my wife, my children, my grandchildren and all of my family are thankful.

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 07 September 2017

Lancashire Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust replied on 11 September 2017

This is an absolute pleasure to read and the teams will be delighted to read it. We have already passed this on to the ward manager and Matron for ward 12 as well as the senior consultants and we can assure you they will be very touched and pleased. It's vital to know about things when they go wrong but equally important to be able to celebrate great care delivered with compassion.

We do hope you are continuing to get stronger and feel better, no doubt being very well looked after now you are home with your family.

Thank you again for your kind comments.

Anonymous gave Lancashire Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 2 stars

Unhelpful receptionist at main admissions desk (RPH)

I attended RPH in the afternoon on 1st March trying to locate an elderly relative who had been admitted into hospital very poorly. As I did not have details of the ward he was admitted, I enquired about his whereabouts at the admissions desk in the main entrance. However, I encountered an extremely unhelpful receptionist who clearly had no interest in helping me & quickly directed me to the volunteers at the information desk. They couldn't find my patient on the list of patients they held at the time, & so rightly redirected me back to the receptionist on the admissions desk who by this time was helping another visitor alocate a friend of theirs! Then, when it came to my turn, they asked if i needed to make a future appointment. To which I replied "no" & explained to the receptionist that I had been sent back by the volunteers who said they should be able to help with my query. The receptionist took no interest at all in my query & very rudely said they had future appointment slips to sort out which patients had left. Surely, this could have waited, but the receptionist was intent on being awkward & unhelpful. This is the second time I have had the misfortune to encounter the same unpleasant person at the same desk. The receptionist has also previously behaved unprofessionally & hence both these experiences have prompted me to complain about them. The receptionist certainly tarnishes the reputation
of our wonderful NHS.
In the end, thanks to the lovely volunteer at the information desk who then went & found out where my relative was admitted.

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 01 March 2017

Lancashire Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust replied on 02 March 2017

Thank you for leaving your feedback on NHS Choices. It is very disappointing to read about your experiences which we will share with the Outpatients Reception managers. If you would like to discuss this in more detail please consider contacting our Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) on 01772 522972.

Anonymous gave Lancashire Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

Efficient & brilliant personal care at the Breast Clinic

After noticing a lump in my breast only 12 days ago, the NHS enabled me to see my GP within 2 days and my appointment at the Breast Clinic at Chorley Hospital was today. The speed of the appointment was impressive for which I was grateful as I was anxious. Within an hour of arrival (& I was early) I had had a mammogram, ultrasound, consultation with a consultant and fine needle aspiration for what turned out to be a cyst. It was the most efficient hour of my life. The organisation, thoughtfulness, consideration and personal care that I received from each individual was absolutely outstanding. Each expert was with me just the right amount of time to do what they do best. An amazing team.

Visited in December 2016. Posted on 06 December 2016

Lancashire Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust replied on 20 February 2017

What a lovely message, which will be so reassuring to our patients and greatly appreciated by our staff. We understanding that attending for such an appointment often carries with it a lot of personal stress and anxiety so it's very satisfying to hear that our team showed the thoughtfulness and consideration that they strive to offer each and every patient. Thank you for taking the time to share this.