Epsom and St Helier University Hospitals NHS Trust

020 8296 2000 St Helier Hospital, Wrythe Lane , Carshalton, Surrey, SM5 1AA

Anonymous gave Epsom and St Helier University Hospitals NHS Trust a rating of 1 stars

Terrible

Due to a very complex medical history (both personally and in my broader family), I have unfortunately had experience of 17 different hospitals in England.

I was recently sent to St Helier by my GP and was shocked. I appreciate that waits can be long, but there wasn't even anywhere to buy a bottle of water. There is a machine serving coffee, but there is no water available in the vending machine and the water fountain was broken. When I asked reception if I could have a cup of water, they said I would have to go to the (separately located) hospital shop but that I might be called whilst I was doing so.

To leave someone who is running a high fever and infection without access to any water for nearly 4 hours is completely unacceptable. Out of the many hospitals I have been in, I have been the least impressed by St Helier.

Visited in October 2017. Posted on 10 October 2017

Hello,

Thank you very much for your feedback. We're sorry to hear that your experience of St Helier Hospital was disappointing. We are keen to pass on your comments to the Facilities Team and look into the problems you've identified, and it would be really helpful to understand where in the hospital you were seen. If you could confirm, that would be very helpful (you can email esth.communications@nhs.net to discuss this further). Thank you.

Judy Cartwright gave Epsom and St Helier University Hospitals NHS Trust a rating of 5 stars

Day in A&E

I had occasion to spend a few hours in A&E a week ago last Wednesday after fainting. I would just like to say what wonderful service you provided. The staff were so kind and I was attended to within a few hours having undergone many tests. I was later discharged but I just wanted to express my thanks to all concerned. All too often complaints are made but I just thought it was worthwhile to register complete satisfaction for a wonderful service. Thanks to all concerned.

Judy Cartwright
18/10/17

Visited in September 2017. Posted on 18 October 2017

Epsom and St Helier University Hospitals NHS Trust has not yet replied.

Bernie gave Epsom and St Helier University Hospitals NHS Trust a rating of 2 stars

Stay at A/E

Have to say it gives me no pleasure giving poor review on my NHS hospital.
I was admitted by ambulance on Sunday 3rd September 11-30 pm with severe stomach pain.
Had blood taken, stomach x-ray. By 2-30 AM I needed to use toilet because of diarrhoea so made use of hospital pad. The bin in toilet was overflowing and had to use toilet another 4 times with pads, being 76 years old felt embarrassed as i was now thinking i had some sort of stomach bug and was spreading germs as with over flowing bin could not close lid.
5-30 am was told i could go. We had to wander round trying to find someone to remove needle from my arm, just wanted to get home but found i was not given back my medication i gave in the ambulance.

Visited in September 2017. Posted on 08 September 2017

Hello,

We are very sorry to hear of your experience with us, and would like to apologise for the discomfort you must have felt. We will pass your comments onto the team in A&E, but if you would like us to investigate your concerns further, please speak to our Patient Advice and Liaison Service on 020 8296 2508. Many thanks.

Anonymous reviewed Epsom and St Helier University Hospitals NHS Trust

mum sent home with broken arm

Took my Mum (83) to Epsom A and E last night. Just off the plane from Ireland holiday where she broke her Arm. we have picture of Break from X-ray taken in Ireland... Epsom sent her home without treatment.. their x-ray didn't show the green stick fracture the Limerick Hospital one does so its go home and come back when you are worse .. presumably when the fracture punctures the skin

Visited in September 2017. Posted on 17 September 2017

Epsom and St Helier University Hospitals NHS Trust replied on 18 October 2017

We are very concerned to hear this, and would appreciate the opportunity to look into your concerns further. If you haven't already done so, please contact our Patient Advice and Liaison Service on 020 8296 2508. Many thanks.

Anonymous gave Epsom and St Helier University Hospitals NHS Trust a rating of 3 stars

Communication

Been visiting blood test for last 4 weeks
Never told that they had been moved this week
Website still has old site locations
And when I found it I waited 45 -1 hr at 2pm in afternoon. stuck in middle of 49 people
It's really isn't an Improvement.

Visited in September 2017. Posted on 05 September 2017

Hello,

Thank you for letting us know. We are very sorry for any confusion (our website has now been updated), and would like to apologise for any delay you experienced.

jean williams reviewed Epsom and St Helier University Hospitals NHS Trust

hos.no.40049279 knee replacement. two words:fabulous care!

Had knee replacement 15.8.17. Care before and after op absolutely fabulous. Many, many thanks.

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 30 August 2017

Epsom and St Helier University Hospitals NHS Trust replied on 18 October 2017

What wonderful news! Thank you very much for your feedback - we are delighted to hear it.

Lisa Hodgson gave Epsom and St Helier University Hospitals NHS Trust a rating of 1 stars

Waiting time at pharmacy

Had an appointment for 1045 got to pharmacy at 1245 and was informed that there was at least 2 hour wait for the prescription to be ready still waiting 2 hours later
Can't believe that the waiting time in now at least 2.5 hrs
I'm in a position where I can't return as I live in twickenham
Another gripe is that the cost of parking doubles due to the time waiting for a prescription
Looking into moving to a different hospital due to the time spent waiting at pharmacy
Atrocious service but not the staffs fault

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 14 August 2017

Epsom and St Helier University Hospitals NHS Trust replied on 18 October 2017

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback. We are very sorry to hear you had such a long wait, and were unable to return to pick up a prescription. Our pharmacy teams are often very busy, but we are working to keep such delays down to a minimum. Many thanks.

Anonymous gave Epsom and St Helier University Hospitals NHS Trust a rating of 5 stars

Delivery suite: I would like to thank the midwife & doctor

I would like to thank the midwife & the doctor today who saw my daughter Charlotte today she is 28 wks pregnant & had some bleeding . They could have not have been more helpful caring . Did every possible test they could to make sure both her & the baby were fine . . I could not fault the service they provided made us both feel & ease & not an inconvenience & reassured her the whole time & made sure they were completely happy before sending us home . Thank you

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 02 August 2017

Epsom and St Helier University Hospitals NHS Trust replied on 09 August 2017

This sounds like a very worrying time for you and your family, and so we are pleased to have been of help. We'll share your comments with the maternity teams. We hope the rest of your daughter's pregnancy goes smoothly, and wish you and the family all the best.

You may know that we have launched a new campaign to find out what people think about the long term future of our hospitals. You can find out more and have your say online: https://www.epsom-sthelier.nhs.uk/epsom-and-st-helier-2020-2030. We're looking for opinion and views from as many people as possible, so please do have a look and let us know what you think.

Richard King gave Epsom and St Helier University Hospitals NHS Trust a rating of 5 stars

Visit to Eye Clinic

Last Monday I went to the Eye Clinic as a walk-in patient. I was concerned that my problem was not serious enough to warrant treatment but I had been advised by my Doctor to go. The Triage Nurse was wonderful- put me at my ease and, after looking at my records, decided that the Doctor would see me. I was subsequently examined by the Doctor and was given a new prescription which I picked up from the Pharmacy. All the people with whom I came into contact were very friendly, helpful and professional- that includes the person at the Main Reception, the people at the Eye Clinic Reception, the Triage Nurse, Doctor, and Pharmacy staff. What was even more remarkable and worthy of even greater congratulations was the fact that I arrived at 12.00 and I picked up my prescription at 1.15. Amazing treatment which could not have been bettered in a Private Clinic. However, this experience is not unique. My wife and I have had several visits to Out Patient services at St Helier over the last few years. Without exception, the treatment, the service and the time taken to be seen have been superb. I am sure that I am not the only one who thinks this highly of St Helier Hospital. Thank you all very much.

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 09 August 2017

Epsom and St Helier University Hospitals NHS Trust replied on 09 August 2017

Thank you very much for your lovely feedback, which we've shared with the senior nursing team in the Eye Unit. We are so pleased to hear that your experience with us went so smoothly and hope your new prescription is working wonders.

JEH gave Epsom and St Helier University Hospitals NHS Trust a rating of 1 stars

Outrageous service

My daughter was admitted to St Helier hospital after being transferred from Epsom hospital on Sunday, she had under gone keyhole surgery for suspected appendicitis, however she ended up with a burst cyst. In the hospital's defence the acted quickly. The aftercare was a lot to be desired, she was discharged the same day ( Monday) without and discharge notes or medication. As a mother I called the ward ( which was a mission in it's self) and asked for aftercare advise for my daughter, when i gave her name I was told that she is an adult and that she should know what had happened and what medication she was on! My daughter was completely non coherant and exhausted after days of not eating. I was then told they could not access her records and still as an adult she should know what to do, oh any one other thing apparently she did not have a op! I was fuming and asked if they can not give me any advise on aftercare should i go back to A&E or my GP they replied YES. They wonder why the waiting times are so long, why can't they just do a job properly. Anyway this resulted in a trip to our GP who have now referred her back to the hospital, I have to say I have little faith!

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 01 August 2017

Epsom and St Helier University Hospitals NHS Trust replied on 09 August 2017

Hello, we are really sorry to hear this and would like to be able to look into your concerns further. Please contact our Patient Advice and Liaison Service on 020 8296 2508 who will be able to address the concerns you have raised here.