East Kent Hospitals University NHS Foundation Trust

01227 766 877 Kent and Canterbury Hospital, Ethelbert Road , Canterbury, Kent, CT1 3NG

Barbara Wise gave East Kent Hospitals University NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

MRI scan at mobile Estuary View Whitstable

I would like to thank and praise the three members of staff who were working at the mobile MRI unit yesterday evening (8 August). They were extremely kind and understanding when I had a panic attack whilst being put into the scanner. They took time to calm me and look for an alternative way to help me complete the scan. I must admit I was so terrified I was ready to leave immediately which would have been a real waste as I had waited a number of weeks for the appointment. Not only were they professional, they were helpful kind and caring, ensuring the appointment reached a successful outcome and that I was comfortable and safe as I left following the scan. I do hope their management will pass on my appreciation and recognize their contribution.

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 09 August 2017

East Kent Hospitals University NHS Foundation Trust replied on 14 August 2017

Thank you for your feedback, we are delighted to hear that you had a positive experience and will pass your comments on to our Patient Experience team. Many thanks.

susan gave General dental treatment at East Kent Hospitals University NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 3 stars

doctors and nurse good, waiting list not

i think canterbury hospital is very good.clean and nurses and doctors and other staff are good ,but its the wating list are not as i was told two months wait thought thats not bad too put up with pain with my kidney stone but now i been told jan 2018 ,i find thats a long time to wait

Visited in July 2017. Posted on 04 October 2017

East Kent Hospitals University NHS Foundation Trust replied on 06 October 2017

Thank you for your kind comments about the hospital and staff. I'm sorry to hear your wait has been extended. If you would like us to look into this on your behalf please contact the PALS team. You can contact the PALS team by email at ekh-tr.pals@nhs.net or by phone 01227 783145/864314. Kind regards.

Anonymous gave East Kent Hospitals University NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 1 stars

Security on the labour ward is awful.

My daugher has just had a baby and wanted me there. I arrived a 5am, I pushed the buzzer and waited to speak to someone before being let in, but the door just opened and I walked in. I was not challenged in any way, the staff barely looked up. I could have wandered around without any problem at all. I had to go to the nurses station to ask what room my daughter was in and still I wasn't asked who I was or even taken to the room. Someone should have checked with my daughter that I was known to her, not allowed to just wander in. It was most disconcerting. The security needs to be sorted out before something goes drastically wrong.

Visited in July 2017. Posted on 20 July 2017

East Kent Hospitals University NHS Foundation Trust replied on 21 July 2017

Thank you for your review, we are sorry that your experience in the maternity ward was not satisfactory. So that we can fully investigate the issue, please can you get in touch with our Patient Experience team with details of the hospital involved. You can email the Patient Experience team at: ekh-tr.PALS@nhs.net
Many thanks
East Kent Hospitals

angry and anxious gave East Kent Hospitals University NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 1 stars

my father was referred by a cancer nurse for specialist review in jannuary - he has been seen and diagnosed with cancer - in july his operation was cancelled due to lack of beds and we are waiting for another appointment , but have been told even that could be cancelled.
east kent trust have broken the HS constituition and do not care - we have complained to PALS and we will be taking this further as not only have they broken the constitution more than once they have met us with no regard for the mental anguish this has and is still causing my parents.

I will not leave the hospital on his appointment day if they say the same thing.

The administration is appalling and did respectful

Visited in July 2017. Posted on 22 July 2017

East Kent Hospitals University NHS Foundation Trust replied on 24 July 2017

Thank you for your review, we are sorry that your experience has not been satisfactory and have passed this on to our Patient Experience team in order for them to investigate. If you would like to deal directly with the Patient Experience Team they can be contacted via: ekh-tr.PALS@nhs.net
Many thanks
East Kent Hospitals

Judgemental nurse on ward

Earlier this year I had a mastectomy as a result of reoccurring breast cancer. I stayed overnight on a non surgical ward and the only way I'll return to that ward is as a visitor or an unconscious patient.
I am on some analgesics as the result of side effects from previous cancer treatment. I'm not happy about this but the alternative is constant, severe pain. With this medication the pain is generally dampened down. i'm rarely completely pain free but I have learnt to cope with it to a large extent.
On the ward a staff nurse made the judgement that I obviously didn't need these medications, this was made clear by their comments to me. At NO point did the nurse ask me why I was prescribed them or if I used them regularly. As a result I was given tablets, at doses that the nursing staff decided I needed. There was no discussion with me,
Despite telling the HCA doing my obs overnight I was left in severe pain overnight.. So severe that I didn't drink anything so that I didn't have to move to go and use the toilet. This also resulted in a horrendous headache. At no point did anyone come to check on me or ask if I needed more analgesia.
I was finally given Oromorph shortly after the surgeon had come to review me in the morning. I don't think this was a coincidence. Oromorph is not one of my usual medications.
Before I left the ward I found out that I'd been written up for Oromorph and that one of my usual pain killers had been crossed off my drug chart.
In addition it took more than 6 hours for a tissuing cannula to be removed from my inner wrist despite my asking every time i saw a member of nursing staff. By this time my hand was beginning to swell and my wristband was cutting into my arm.
I didn't cry when I was told I had cancer again but I cried while I was on this ward. I was made to feel like a complete nothing.
I'm possibly going to sound like i'm full of self pity but given that I was on the ward as I'd just had a mastectomy I would have expected a little sensitivity to how I might be feeling. Well, I won't make that mistake again. The attitude of that one nurse was disgusting, why they are a nurse is beyond me. The nurse is clearly full of preconceived and uninformed opinions and extremely judgemental. I was under the impression that nurses are meant to be non judgemental and that they are taught that pain is what the individual perceives it to be. The nurse obviously missed that lecture, they would probably be better suited to the prison service.
I can't speak highly enough of the care I've received, from initial mammogram and surgical consultation through to theatre and recovery staff. I've been seen quickly and treated well. i'm being kept informed and up to date on what is happening with regard to ongoing treatment.
I don't think i'm a particularly offensive human being so I would be curious to know why I was treated in this manner on what is apparently a 'lovely' ward. I hope the next person admitted in similar circumstances is treated better?

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 26 April 2017

Chief Nurse and Director Of Quality, East Kent Hospitals University NHS Foundation Trust replied on 13 May 2017

I am so sorry to hear of your very unpleasant and upsetting experience. If you would like me to look into this further please email me on Sally.smith2@nhs.net.
I do hope you are now making a good recovery at very distressing times for you.
Sally

Angela Cooper gave Services of a dental hygienist at East Kent Hospitals University NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

Very professional and compassionat as always!

I visit dermatology regularly for my sun damaged skin, I'm a kidney transplant patient at KCH too. The staff from the receptionist, nurses, doctors and cleaners are excellent! I've had a few spots on my skin removed and the nurses and doctors in the operating room are so professional and sociable with me they make me feel at ease at once! The dermatologist nurse, who I always see is helpful, compassionate, caring and is interested in your life giving me confidence to talk to them about my problems and how having sun damaged skin, especially on my face, makes me feel!
They always fit my appointments in when it's convenient for me and have never let me down by cancelling. Even on the phone they are great to talk to.
A big thank you to all the staff in this department for making my visits easier to cope with.

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 26 May 2017

East Kent Hospitals University NHS Foundation Trust replied on 02 June 2017

Thank you very much for you praise for the care and communication you receive in the dermatology department. We are very grateful to you for taking the time to leave such positive feedback for them.

Greentoad21 gave East Kent Hospitals University NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 2 stars

Total Lack of Communication

My wife went in for a routine planned operation. Following the operation I rang on three occasions during the afternoon to find out exactly how she was. Nobody could give me any information and this was over a period of 5 hours. In fact I was passed from pillar to post with clearly no meaningful information being provided whatsoever. Eventually I had to resort to the switchboard and did eventually get some information.

Subsequently we discovered that the operation had been a failure. The consultant knew this after the operation, but chose not to tell my wife before she was discharged. A little honesty would go a long way.

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 15 May 2017

East Kent Hospitals University NHS Foundation Trust replied on 19 May 2017

I am very sorry to read your wife and you had such a poor experience over communication both in trying to ascertain how your wife was recovering and the post-operative information about the success of her procedure. We would be grateful if you might contact us at the trust to confirm which hospital site and surgical department this was so we may take this forward into the trust for service improvement. We can be contacted at
ekh-tr.pals@nhs.net.

Anonymous gave East Kent Hospitals University NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

Excellent Care at William Harvey Hospital

My 84 year old husband, was taken to William Harvey Hospital A&E on the evening of February 9 with a sudden onset of delirium and high temperature with no obvious cause and no warning. We are Canadian citizens and were visiting family in the UK . The care and attention he received were excellent.

The thoroughness and promptness of the testing and examinations to determine the cause was very impressive. It was determined that the probable cause was a UTI but because of his age and other complications it was decided that he should be admitted until things had stabilized.

He spent 5 days in Cambridge L Acute Frailty Ward where once again we were impressed with the high standard of care and treatment he received. I should add that this treatment my husband had was not exceptional. All the other patients in his room were given the same high standard of care and attention.

I would like to mention in particular a doctor Treatment Decision ward who decided to admit my husband, and a doctor in Cambridge L along with the staff in that ward. The staff in A&E were simply amazing as were the paramedics in the ambulance which took him to William Harvey.

The invoice we received for all this care was very reasonable in comparison to what we would have had to pay if we had been visiting the USA instead of the UK.

I am aware that the NHS is getting a lot of negative reports recently. Our experience with East Kent Hospitals and William Harvey in Particular, was entirely positive. Congratulations to all concerned and thank you !

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 28 March 2017

East Kent Hospitals University NHS Foundation Trust replied on 19 April 2017

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave such wonderful feedback for our hospital. We are so glad your husband’s care was of such a high standard and do hope he has now fully recovered.

Pat reviewed East Kent Hospitals University NHS Foundation Trust

Admin. errors ?

I had a cataract operation 21/11/16, all seemed to go well, but at my check up 6 weeks later at my opticitions, they were alarmed at what they saw and sent an urgent refferal back to Margate Hospital.
Nothing heard a week later so the optician contacted them again to be told an appointment was in the post.
This appeared a day later, but this was for Canterbury hospital, nearly 3 month later! When we got there early, due to traffic, we were told our appointment had been cancelled; just as that happened a voice mail came through telling us the same thing. Our appt. was for 10.00, we were told it was cancelled at 09.20. Has anybody any idea how long it takes to get to Canterbury from Ramsgate during the rush hours? Or even find a parking space ?
was told that there are several eye clinics at Margate, so why be sent to Canterbury to apparently see a doctor who had no knowledge of my case. And who would scribble "general triage " against an urgent refferal from a qualified optician ?
The whole episode cost us £7.00 in parking fees and a whole day wasted and distressed . Please do something, as this is not the first time as a friend of ours had his appiontment cancelled twice, unbeknown to the specialist he was due to see !
Who on earth is in charge here ?

Visited in January 2017. Posted on 16 February 2017

East Kent Hospitals University NHS Foundation Trust replied on 01 March 2017

I am so very sorry to read about your experience. Please do contact PALS (Patient Advice and Liaison Service) on 01227 783145 or 01227 864314 or by email at ekh-tr.PALS@nhs.net who will be able to help. If you get the PALS answer phone, please leave a message as they will guarantee to return your call.

R.Hammond gave East Kent Hospitals University NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

Excellent Breast Cancer Service

I have had to make use of the breast cancer services at KCH and QEQM over the past 16 years.
My first experience was in 2001 where I received excellent care at the 'one stop shop' breast cancer screening unit. Subsequent surgery and treatment was first class.
When I had a recurrence in 2012 I wondered whether the treatment would still be as efficient and I am delighted to say we have an excellent team working for us both in KCH and QEQM.
I have never felt like 'just a number ' in spite of the many patients they have to see.
Everyone involved from my surgeon , MacMillan nurses, Oncologists, and surgical admission team to counselling support, have always gone the extra mile to accommodate my ongoing needs.
The Cancer experience is pretty awful but the care, support and understanding I have had from our wonderful team over the past 16 years at KCH and QEQM have made all difference.
A hearfelt 'thank you' to all of you.
Rosie

Visited in January 2017. Posted on 21 February 2017

East Kent Hospitals University NHS Foundation Trust replied on 01 March 2017

Dear Rosie, thank you for your kind praise for the breast cancer services. It is really gratifying to know that you have felt consistently supported by all the departments throughout your treatment.