Sheffield Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust

0114 271 1900 Northern General Hospital, Herries Road , Sheffield, South Yorkshire, S5 7AT

JM gave Sheffield Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

Wonderful staff on Surgical Assessment Unit

I would like to praise the staff on the Surgical Assessment Unit. I was admitted on Tuesday of last week. During my stay nothing was too much trouble, everyone (nurses, tea staff, doctors) without exception were friendly and efficient. I had a medical emergency on the first night when everyone came running to assist. I felt very safe in their hands - thank you.

Visited in November 2017. Posted on 04 December 2017

Nancy Henwood, Patient Experience Co-ordinator, Sheffield Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust replied on 05 December 2017

Thank you for leaving feedback. It will mean a great deal to the staff on SAU to know you felt well cared for and safe. They will be very encouraged by this and will really appreciate it.
With thanks and all best wishes for your continued recovery

Anonymous gave Sheffield Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 1 stars

Metal Health Crisis Team

It is an understandable fact that mental health is under funded in this country: what is not however is the awful care given by the crisis team. My friend sat sobbing about how she had harmed herself in the past and was scared she would again as she doesn’t feel in control: the team then told her all they could give her were emergency numbers and that ‘more people bang themselves in hospitals than at home’. Luckily we managed to get her to a GP that evening and has been fast tracked through a counselling service. Absolutely shocking. Disgusting how another person can be so cold to another and the fact they didn’t even say bye upon leaving they simply just walked away and a nurse had to tell us the room was needed by someone else now.

Visited in October 2017. Posted on 19 October 2017

Patient Experience Co-ordinator, Sheffield Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust replied on 01 November 2017

Dear author
I was very saddened to hear about your friend's experiences and that all the team could offer was emergency telephone numbers. I am not sure however whether this relates to the Sheffield Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust as the Crisis Team is managed by Sheffield Health & Social Care Trust which is another NHS organisation based in Sheffield.
If you do want to raise concerns more formally you can contact the Health & Social Care Trust directly or contact ourselves and we will be pleased to forward your concerns on. To contact this Trust you can either telephone 0114 271 1976 or email pst@sth.nhs.uk

Anonymous gave Sheffield Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

Charles Clifford Hospital

Had to have a broken root removed. Staff were very kind and helpful. Fully explained everything. Whole procedure pain free. Would highly recommend.

Visited in October 2017. Posted on 26 October 2017

Nancy Henwood, Patient Experience Co-ordinator, Sheffield Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust replied on 27 October 2017

Dear Sir or Madam
Thank you for leaving feedback and for sharing your experience. The staff do strive to provide high quality care and treatment so will be very encouraged to receive your kind and positive words. They will really appreciate it.

Anonymous reviewed Sheffield Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust

Gastroenterology

No after my whole 5 minute appointment the Dr stated book into a MRI then we'll see if u need gastrology camera ,so on booking MRI scan I then receive letter for gastrology appointment so which one would Dr like me to have so I did try to cancel this upon receptionist asking why and blah dear blahh blah so upon stating can't get off work n fed up of being pasted round like a guinea pig so now I've been discharged bk to Dr so take it my MRI needs cancelling too 23 years of getting no where in pain and joked about during tests n you wonder why I have given up

Visited in October 2017. Posted on 17 November 2017

Nancy Henwood, Patient Experience Co-ordinator, Sheffield Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust replied on 21 November 2017

Thank you for leaving feedback. It sounds like you have had a very difficult experience and we would be very happy to look into this matter if you would like to get in contact to provide more details. You can do this by contacting our Patient Services Team, either by calling them on 0114 271 2400 or by emailing them at pst@sth.nhs.uk
With thanks and kind regards

Anonymous gave Sheffield Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 3 stars

T.V's not working.

Several televisions on ward S3 were out of action. It's very boring for a bed bound child to have to watch dvd's they've already seen.

Visited in September 2017. Posted on 16 September 2017

Nancy Henwood, Patient Experience Co-ordinator, Sheffield Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust replied on 18 September 2017

Dear Sir or Madam
Thank you for leaving feedback and I am really sorry this happened. We would be pleased to look into this further if you could contact us to provide more details. You can do this by contacting our Patient Services Team, either by calling them on 0114 271 2400 or by emailing them at [pst@sth.nhs.uk](mailto:pst@sth.nhs.uk)
With thanks and kind regards

Not happy with the service

I attended the fracture clinic on Monday 14th. Aug, my appointment was at 11.30 am, I was seen at 12.35pm. To be told by a consultant that my daughter may need an operation on the broken toe. The consultant was to ring me the next day in the morning to confirm the operation after speaking to a surgeon. Tuesday - no phone call. I had to ring the hospital to find out that my daughter has an appointment with the foot and ankle dept, but the consultants secretary could not tell me what the appointment was for. I am now having to take more time off work on Friday to take my daughter to the hospital. She is 18 years old and is very stressed at the fact that her toe maybe operated on. I find the service appalling.

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 15 August 2017

Nancy Henwood, Patient Experience Co-ordinator, Sheffield Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust replied on 16 August 2017

Dear Sir or Madam
Thank you for leaving feedback and I am really sorry that your daughter is injured and is going through this stressful time. If you or your daughter would like to contact us to provide more details we would be happy to look into this. You can do this by contacting our Patient Services Team either by calling them on 0114 271 2400 or by emailing them at [pst@sth.nhs.uk](mailto:pst@sth.nhs.uk)
With thanks and best wishes

Wonderful staff on Chesterman 3

My son was transferred from the Hallamshire Hospital after being in intensive care after being run over. He had an operation to repair a tear in his diaphragm. The consultant and their team were amazing, my son has a learning disability and every consideration was extended to him. We were allowed to go with him to the point he was put to sleep and again we were allowed into recovery so that he had a familiar face when he came round.
The aftercare he received was excellent, he needed additional drains to help his lung re inflate, we were kept updated and the nurses were very supportive of him whilst these procedures were taking place.
We cannot speak highly enough of the nurses, support staff and all who came into contact with Josh. He was treated with such care and kindness. You have a wonderful team and we have absolutely seen the NHS at its finest.

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 05 September 2017

Nancy Henwood, Patient Experience Co-ordinator, Sheffield Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust replied on 08 September 2017

Dear Sir or Madam
Thank you for leaving feedback. I am extremely sorry to learn that your son has been through such a terrible experience, but your kind and positive words will mean a great deal to the staff concerned. Thank you for sharing your experience of the care provided during this distressing time.
With thanks and best wishes for your sons continued recovery

Anonymous reviewed Sheffield Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust

Terrible service at phlebotomy northern general

I have visited phlebotomy at the royal hallamshire almost every month for the last 10 years, they are so professional, yet friendly at the same time and immediately put you at ease, however, in August for the second time I had to have bloods done at the Northern General, outpatients department. This was a completely different experience, the whole set up is unprofessional from the rooms they are using, they are untidy and unclinical, the staff are very ignorant and speak amongst themselves whilst not really taking care of the patient and whilst a queue was forming they were stood chatting and on their mobile phones. The entire experience is not a good one. I was told my vieins weren't 'giving' and they might have to look elsewhere, I was poked about in both arms and ended up badly bruised on both occasions. This needs looking at in great details and in comparison with the Hallamshire who have been fantastic all these years, and I cannot praise them enough.

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 15 September 2017

Nancy Henwood, Patient Experience Co-ordinator, Sheffield Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust replied on 15 September 2017

Dear Sir or Madam,
Thank you for leaving feedback and I am really sorry you did not have a good experience at the Northern General and experienced this inconsistency. Your feedback will be passed onto the relevant senior managers however if you would like to provide more details please do not hesitate to contact our Patient Services Team. You can do this by calling them on 0114 271 2400 or emailing them at [pst@sth.nhs.uk](mailto:pst@sth.nhs.uk)
With thanks and best wishes

Lydia c gave at Sheffield Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 1 stars

Nursing staff

The nursing staff in h2 leave a lot to be desired especially the young night staff, what is this about overworked? They were off in rooms giggling amongst themselves and didn't come when buzzers pressed. Totally disgusting care why they get paid so much for that kind of behaviour is beyond me, sister in charge is rude!

Visited in July 2017. Posted on 11 August 2017

Nancy Henwood, Patient Experience Co-ordinator, Sheffield Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust replied on 11 August 2017

Dear Lydia
Thank you for leaving feedback and I am really sorry this has been your experience. Please do not hesitate to contact us to provide more details if you would like us to look into this further. You can do this by contacting our Patient Services Team, either by calling them on 0114 271 2400 or by emailing them at pst@sth.nhs.uk

Accident and emergency dept NGH

Took my husband to A/E at 1.30 am as in excruciating pain in shoulder. Triage nurse more interested in looking at computer than my husband. Department very quiet but still made to wait 4 hours which was cruel under the circumstances . Doctor very rude, made to feel that being there was a big inconvenience, despite giving us the diagnosis which the doctor agreed was an extremely painful condition. When will staff realise that people do not turn up in the middle of the night, wait there for almost 8 hours because they have nothing better to do. The CQC rated this department as "requires improvement" on every level. I would certainly agree with this.

Visited in June 2017. Posted on 25 June 2017

Nancy Henwood, Patient Experience Co-ordinator, Sheffield Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust replied on 28 June 2017

Dear AnonThank you for leaving feedback, and I am really sorry to learn that your experience was not a positive one. We would be pleased to look into this further if you wish to contact us to provide more details. You can do this by contacting our Patient Services Team either by calling them on 0114 271 2400 or by emailing them at [pst@sth.nhs](mailto:pst@sth.nhs)