Birmingham Women's and Children's NHS Foundation Trust

0121 333 9999 Steelhouse Lane , Birmingham, West Midlands, B4 6NH

rhi jones gave Birmingham Women's and Children's NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 2 stars

Disgusting

My little cousin went in for a major hart surgery on Monday the 3rd April and it is now Friday the 7th April and they have sent her home just because she was walking okay all week they have rushed her just so they can have the beds for someone else this is not fair they took her out of intensive cear and put her on the ward the following day she had a high temperature so they did test and 3 days later they have not come back. We have come home today and she has had to remove all the wires herself and bear in mind she is only 5 years old! Today when she got home they never called in the morning to say she was going so nothing was prepared she got home and she was okay and now she is having pain in her side and she is screaming and hot . We called them up and all they said was we can't do nothing because they can't see her! This is a terrible hospital wild not recommend

Visited in April 2017. Posted on 07 April 2017

Birmingham Women's and Children's NHS Foundation Trust replied on 10 April 2017

Hello, thank you for telling us about your experience at Birmingham Children's Hospital, we are sorry you feel we have not cared for her as you would have hoped.
We would like to understand more about what happened to your cousin, so please call me on 0121 333 8505.
You mention your cousin was in pain, I hope she is now improving. If you feel her health is in danger, please do not hesitate to bring her back to our Emergency Department.
Lisa Robinson - Patient Experience Manager

Anonymous gave Birmingham Women's and Children's NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 1 stars

Bch transferred my daughter with 60 percent burns too early

I have had the worst time of my life I was in Birmingham children's hospital for my daughter who had burns to 60 percent of her body we wer in intensive care for 8 weeks , my daughter came off ventilation two days before the hospital referred us to Sheffield where there had not been a proper hand over the nurses did not know what they were doing , if I knew this I would not have left that hospital my daughter has fallen back 2 weeks crying everyday , she has been through hell and back they should think of what is the best for child not the hospital I tried for weeks to try to get referred back but no one was listening to me , do we not get a say in anything we pay our taxes ...after weeks of fighting they told me she is staying in Sheffield and it was a clinical decission

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 04 March 2017

Birmingham Women's and Children's NHS Foundation Trust has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Birmingham Women's and Children's NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

Great care

My daughter was treated at accident and emergency last week. The staff were very efficient, professional and working extremely hard in a difficult setting. My daughter was treated and transferred to the observation ward for monitoring within a sufficient time scale and the care we received was to a high standard.

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 06 February 2017

Renal unit

My son was admitted on to the renal unit, for a biopsy and had to stay over night, all the staff were fantastic especially the nurses, nothing was to much trouble for them. We found them to be very very friendly and relaxed which is hard in a nurses job they cheered all the children up from babies to teenagers. They are also fantastic with parents and kept us both grounded while tests and biopsies were carried out. I have and will tell anyone who listens what a fantastic hospital it is. All staff from doctors to cleaning staff were professional and made our stay bearable.

Visited in December 2016. Posted on 06 December 2016

Janette Vyse, Birmingham Children's Hospital NHS Foundation Trust replied on 18 January 2017

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience.
We want everyone who comes in to hospital to have the best possible care so it is always lovely to hear when it is so positive, and especially when everyone involved has contributed to that experience!
I will share with the renal unit who I know will also be delighted to read it.
Thank you again and I hope your son has made a good recovery.
With kind regards,
Janette

Kelly gave Birmingham Women's and Children's NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 1 stars

Review of cdu

My daughter was brought into cdu following a failed discharge.she had previously been admitted with abdo pain and was found to have a burst ovarian cyst.we were sent home with no pain relief but I was giving her regular paracetamol and ibuprofen.the pain got worse so I brought her to a&e again. We was finally admitted to cdu where the nurse was nice but told us that she had not been refered to the surgical team.she was in pain but was not given anything as nothing prescribed. Eventually the surgical doctor came to rv but said to my daughter you don't look in pain. Pain is what the person experiences and says it is!!!! I then overheard the staff nurses handing over at the desk and basically were saying that she wasn't in pain.what ever happened to confidentiality.We are Currently awaiting blood results. Which can't come quick enough so we can go home.

Visited in December 2016. Posted on 11 December 2016

Dear Kelly, I am sorry to hear about your recent experience in A+E and CDU, with your daughter. I will share your feedback with the senior staff, who I am sure will also be disappointed to read about the lack of understanding of your daughter's pain, and ask them to discuss this with their team and to remind them to be mindful about confidentiality when they are handing over care. We would welcome the opportunity to discuss this further with you, please contact us through our PALS department on 0121 333 8403.
I hope your daughter will soon be feeling much better.
With kind regards,
Janette Vyse, Deputy Head of Nursing

Appalling service at A&E

I'm just coming back from
A&E department at Birmingham children's hospital. What an appalling service! My daughter is 11 weeks old and fell of the bed ( I know , I learned my lesson already, never leave baby alone even for a second ). After 15 min conversation with 111 operator we were advised to go to A&E. We arrived there at 9pm and were seen by nurse, which after a brief check told us to sit and wait for the doctor . And we sat and waited there...2 hours!!!( when we arrived there were one mother and child in the waiting room, no one else). After 2 hours, many children and parents were seen before us, but no one called my daughters name . Finally we stopped a member of the staff and asked when we are going to be seen . He checked on the computer and couldn't find my daughters name on the list !!!
This person happened to be a doctor and immediately invited us in one of the rooms and examined the baby. My question is: do you think is normal 11 weeks old baby with possible head injury to be left unseen for more than 2 hours? Don't want to think how your staff will react in case of serious emergency. They seemed more interested of sweet talks and coffee and tea from the staff room ( we were next to it). Really hope that in the other hospital departments are working real professionals, who cares about their little patients. Because all I saw in A&E was slow and not interested of their work people.
That is all I wanted to say, very disappointing service , hope never will need to use it again..

Visited in May 2016. Posted on 13 May 2016

Birmingham Women's and Children's NHS Foundation Trust has not yet replied.

Outstanding staff and equally outstanding hospital

My brother who is now 14, and has a DiGeorge Syndrome, has been coming here since he was a week old. We can leave him here worry free, the staff (nurses, consultant, surgeons anaesthetic team) are outstanding and the care they give is out of this world, I have never seen a more caring hospital. They truly deserve all the recognition.

Visited in February 2016. Posted on 16 February 2016

Janette Vyse, Birmingham Children's Hospital NHS Foundation Trust replied on 05 March 2016

Thank you so much for sharing the positive and caring experience you and your brother have had at Birmingham Children's Hospital over the last 14 years. We strive to provide the best care we can - when you have to come to hospital on a regular basis it is important you can trust that you will get that best care and it is lovely to read your kind words. I will make sure they are shared with the wider teams.
Thank you again and best wishes to you and your brother,
Janette

I will be forever thankful to BCH.

Our daughter was transferred to BCH at 3 days old for surgery. At the most frightening time of our lives the hospital staff were fantastic, knowledgeable, caring and supportive, I can't praise them highly enough. We have since been admitted twice more once on Pau and once for a gastrostomy and also countless follow up appointments. I have no hesitation in saying that the knowledge, care and medical expertise by staff at BCH saved my daughter's life not once but twice. Obviously asmuch as nobody wants their little ones to be in hospital when we're transferred to BCH I always feel like we're in safe hands.

Visited in March 2015. Posted on 16 November 2015