King's College Hospital NHS Foundation Trust

020 3299 9000 King's College Hospital, Denmark Hill , London, SE5 9RS

Moppet reviewed King's College Hospital NHS Foundation Trust

I have missed my appointment

After having spent six months in hospital having heart and stomach operations, I was due to attend Kings College Hospital London for an important outpatient appointment for my stomach problem.
G4S transport advised I should be ready from 6. 20am but I am severely disabled and bedridden and my carers do not arrive until 7am.
I explained this to the G4S operator and it was written on the system that I would be picked up at 7. 30 am.
At 6. 35am a G4S crew knocked on my door whilst I was asleep. The crew said that they had to come at that time because they had another patient who would be late for his appointment.
When I explained that I was not ready and my carers did not come till 7am and it was written on the system that I should be picked up at 7. 30 they said don't worry we will come back.
When I phoned the transport operator at 7. 30 I was told my journey had been aborted by the team leader. They did this without notification to me and now I have missed my appointment.
This is the second time I have had this treatment from G4S.

Visited in September 2017. Posted on 14 September 2017 using Care Opinion

Very impressed

I have attended the chest clinic (2nd Floor) and the gynaecology clinic (suite 8) at Kings. Both departments were very quick and responsive to my needs. I was very nervous, but they were very reassuring and caring.
The nurses and consultants were excellent.
I would urge more patients to give good reviews as we should be proud to have such good public healthcare.

A big thank you.

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 18 August 2017

Anonymous gave King's College Hospital NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 1 stars

Quality of the nursing staff

Was there for a procedure a week ago. The nurse who put the canulla did not practice any hand hygine standards. They had gloves on but went and picked things they had dropped on the floor, did not change the gloves, then they put the canulla in and blood squirted all over my bag, they did not even put a protective inco-sheet. They just said sorry and wiped off the blood.
It's such a shame, the consultants are excellent but the nurses exploit the staff shortage in the NHS and don't have a patient centric approach. It's a job for life attitude with the nursing staff. On a previous occasion a nurse told me they has a back pain, so I have to manage on my own. Wonder if this is bank staff?

Visited in June 2017. Posted on 01 July 2017

Mrs. Clarke reviewed King's College Hospital NHS Foundation Trust

Staff Conduct A&E

I visited. A&E today 5th May at Kings College Hospital with breathless. After waiting for 2 and a half hours I returned to the receptionist who informed me I was next after giving them my details. I waited for another 40 minutes, while 3 other people were called in before. I approached the receptionist again, they shouted, 'I can't help you'. I said I'm only asking potentially how long I may have to wait. They explained there was an emergency. I replied, that's okay at least I know what's going on. They looked away from me as though not to have an interest. I then said I also work for clinical services within the NHS and I give quality respectful service and that it is important that staff deliver that, then I returned to my seat to continue waiting.

I understand that A&E is very busy and that staff can feel under pressure to deliver a service that the resources do not meet demand. Subsequently it must be a personal choice whether a high pressured job like front line reception has staff that presumptuously snap or are directly rude to patients, particular those who are severely unwell, hence a visit to A&E.

I have not had treatment as yet so am unable to give feedback about this as yet, but what was a semi pleasant patient wait for my turn has become a cause for complaint! Very unsatisfactory reception training by Kings.

Visited in May 2017. Posted on 05 May 2017

Anonymous gave King's College Hospital NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 1 stars

The place is a dump!

Lifts not working; papers strewn on the toilet floors, dark miserable and confusing corridors. Thankfully (and hopefully) I'll only ever need to make the one visit to this place.
At least the staff I dealt with directly were ok, but the building itself and levels of (dis)organisation and (un)cleanliness made me despair.

Visited in April 2017. Posted on 13 April 2017

Head of Engagement and Patient Experience, King's College Hospital NHS Foundation Trust replied on 27 April 2017

Very sorry to hear that King's didn't come up to standard in terms of our buildings and environment. We know that some of our estate is really old and not up to the high standards that we would wish for. We are developing plans to re-develop the Denmark Hill site to make it better for all concerned, However, this is not a short term process and will require considerable work and public consultatoin to achieve. In the interim, we do do our best to make the best of what we have by redecorating and refurbishing older areas of the building. In the meantime, apologies that we came up short.

Excellent!

I was attended to by the cardiac rapid response team, at the hospital, this morning. I was most impressed with the attention given, the care & concern shown and the highly skilled team who attended to me. Thank you!

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 09 February 2017

Debby 123 gave King's College Hospital NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 1 stars

Shocking aftercare service

I was admitted in January 2017 for brain surgery for the removal of a tumour. I cannot fault the surgeons work but the aftercare from being on the ward to being discharged and being at home was absolutely shocking. There was no compassion from any of the staff including the oncology team. It's once you're out you are on your own. They talk to you like you're a child and some of the nurses and consultants are disrespectful. They need to learn that they see this every day and work with neurosurgery all the time so to the normal average person who this is completely new to there is obviously going to be some worrying from the patients side. I've had no info or assurance since and no one advised of the problems that you can suffer afterwards. I just hope to god I don't have to go there again I am now currently trying to speak to the neuro surgeons secretary as the neurosurgeon hasn't responded to a letter from the dvla about my returning to driving. I still cannot get through or leave a message for this to be chased

Visited in January 2017. Posted on 10 August 2017

Amazing staff

Our dad was admitted to kings at the beginning of January with heart problems, after test a quadruple bypass and new valve operation was promformed, he had complications and was admitted to the critical care unit where he was for over two weeks, thankfully after almost four weeks in hospital he is now home, we could not thank the dedicated staff for all there kindness and care. They are truly angels, they work so hard and deserve to be recognised. No words could ever be enough how greatful we all are.

Visited in January 2017. Posted on 09 February 2017

Denmark Hill x-ray London

I am so happy with serves x-ray department and with Appointment. i was visiting department 13/09.2016 at 11.00 am, the member of staff there sort out conflict situation and done very profession work. Thank you very very much .

Visited in September 2016. Posted on 13 September 2016

King's College Hospital NHS Foundation Trust replied on 30 September 2016

You are very welcome. Best wishes.

P young gave King's College Hospital NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

Kings saved my wife's life.

A month ago my wife woke in the morning with a terrible headache and looked very ill l phoned for the ambulance and she was taken to Tunbridge wells hospital .it was soon made clear to us that she would have to go to Kings in london . My wife was admitted to the Jack Steinberg lcu. After two operations .the fantastic team saved my wife's life l thank you so much on behalf of my family and all being well I take my wife home tomorrow 9/5/16.

Visited in April 2016. Posted on 08 May 2016