East Sussex Healthcare NHS Trust

01424 755255 St. Annes House, 729 The Ridge , St. Leonards-on-Sea, East Sussex, TN37 7PT

Anonymous reviewed East Sussex Healthcare NHS Trust

Apprehensive

Having just called to ask if there was a rough idea of when I could expect scheduled surgery so I could organise work commitments, I was told 'it's difficult really, we don't take any notice of the 18 week period. It doesn't really apply to gynaecology so maybe at the end of summer'. 6 months for minor surgery! Unhelpful and abrupt. Am slightly apprehensive of the hospital now- if simple targets are ignored then what else is being let slide?

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 20 March 2017

East Sussex Healthcare NHS Trust replied on 30 March 2017

We are disturbed and disappointed to learn that a member of staff was 'unhelpful and abrupt' and advised you that 'we don't take any notice of the 18 week period'. This response to your query was clearly not acceptable and we apologise for any distress caused.

Please be assured that, as a Trust, we take targets very seriously, and do everything we can to achieve them. Your posting has been forwarded to the Head of Clinical Administration to review and act upon.

May we advise you that we have a Patient Advice & Liaison Service (PALS) who can liaise with trust staff to address any queries or concerns you have about your waiting time. They can be contacted on 01323 435886 or by email at: esh-tr.PALSE@nhs.net.

Still waiting...... gave East Sussex Healthcare NHS Trust a rating of 2 stars

Apprehensive

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 20 March 2017

East Sussex Healthcare NHS Trust replied on 30 March 2017

Sonia Plato gave East Sussex Healthcare NHS Trust a rating of 5 stars

Operation at the Conquest February 2017

Operation: Elective high anterior resection. Gardner Ward.
I am writing to express my thanks and respect for the high quality of care from the staff of the Conquest Hospital who looked after me during and following my operation.
My overriding impression was of care and kindness to myself and to my fellow patients in Gardner Ward, when I was feeling extremely unwell and quite anxious. My consultant, was very careful to explain all that was involved both prior and post operation and provided great reassurance to me as well as proving to be a very skillful surgeon.
It was clear that everyone worked and communicated very effectively as a team. This included all those I came into contact with from those cleaning the ward, the staff providing food, the consultants and doctors, nurses, ERAS, Diet and health care teams. Any queries or concerns were taken seriously and passed to the appropriate staff member who then followed it up. I realise how hard this must be to achieve sometimes, given the heavy workload and pressure on everyone’s time.
I also wish to pass on my thanks and respect to others whose care I benefited from, including the radiologists, PIC team and volunteers. I am now also under the care of the Westfield based district nurse service for post operative wound care. They have been absolutely great and again provided much reassurance, information and high quality care.
My final point is to express concern at the heavy work load and little time for rest and recovery of all staff I came across. This increase is very evident from when I was last in the Conquest for an operation 15 years ago. I do hope that there is some prospect of reducing pressure on the NHS and Conquest staff. They are doing a magnificent job, but surely under very demanding conditions.
I would be very grateful if you could pass on my thanks and broad content of my letter to all those concerned.

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 03 May 2017

East Sussex Healthcare NHS Trust replied on 10 May 2017

Dear Ms Plato

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide detailed feedback about your experience with Gardner ward (and other departments) at the Conquest hospital. As a trust, we're very proud of the commitment and dedication staff display when treating and providing care to patients. We regularly receive feedback about how kind and caring they are, and this is truly appreciated.

We share your concern about the health and wellbeing of staff. Working in the NHS is rewarding but also challenging, particularly in recent years. With this in mind, we have many initiatives to support people , for example; Pilates classes, Emotional Resilience, Coaching, NHS Health checks, Schwartz rounds, Mindfulness, Healthy Weights and monthly newsletters. In addition we hold regular away days and workshops/roadshows to promote ‘Staff Wellbeing”.

Please be assured that your expression of gratitude, and praise, will be shared. It’s always a pleasure to share postings such as yours.

We send you our warmest wishes.

Anonymous gave East Sussex Healthcare NHS Trust a rating of 2 stars

Disaster, avoid!!!

After 3 months of tests and consultations to have small operation on the chosen day and just 10 feet from operating theatre doors I was wheeled away back onto the pre op ward, operation cancelled I was told 40 minutes later and then left to fend for myself, little money no phone ..they simply abandoned. me to my own devices whilst in midst of the horrific trauma caused by the late late cancellation....no compassion, no empathy.

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 21 February 2017

East Sussex Healthcare NHS Trust replied on 23 February 2017

We are concerned to read you posting on NHS Choices, and we sincerely apologise for the late cancellation you describe, and the lack of empathy or compassion. This is far removed from the high quality care we expect.

Please be assured that we take your concerns very seriously, and we would like an opportunity to apologise to you in person, and gather more information from you, so that we can look into what happened in more detail and take appropriate action.

If you would like to do this please contact our Patient Advice & Liaison Service (PALS) on 01424 758090 or by email at: esh-tr.PALSH@nhs.net.

We sincerely hope to hear from you at your earliest convenience.

Jill O'Rourke gave East Sussex Healthcare NHS Trust a rating of 5 stars

Hospital feedback

I would like to give thanks to the staff member in the admissions department who was most helpful , professional and efficient please thank them from me .
I was in Cookson Devas Ward having a knee replacement and I would like to thank the whole nursing team for the dedication hard work and care whilst I was there. The standard of cleanliness was very high thanks to the cleaning staff . The food was excellent and there was a very wide choice of dishes well done .
There was nothing I could fault so many thanks for the care I received during my stay.

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 07 March 2017

East Sussex Healthcare NHS Trust replied on 09 March 2017

Dear Ms O'Rourke

Thank you so much for your comprehensive feedback about your stay with Cookson Devas ward, at the Conquest Hospital. We're so pleased to hear that there was 'nothing you could fault'. Please be assured we share all feedback with staff. As a Trust, we are very proud of the excellent care and services they provide, and their dedication to ensuring all patients have a positive experience.

We send you our best wishes and hope that you are making good progress with your recovery from surgery.

Anonymous gave East Sussex Healthcare NHS Trust a rating of 5 stars

Boxing Day Calm and Reassurance

Brought my elderly grandfather to A & E at Eastbourne DGH on 26.12.2016 with a suspected TIA/stroke. Despite a predicted wait to be seen (the department was packed) once we were in with the doctor the investigations were thorough, all staff treated my grandfather with respect and compassion. The Dr kept us well informed throughout the 3+ hours he was being assessed updating us on what would happen next and how long it was likely to take. Very thorough and compassionate treatment at a time when services were pushed to the max and at a time of year I'm sure most people would rather be at home with their family than working. Huge thanks to all the A & E staff at EDGH!

Visited in December 2016. Posted on 27 December 2016

East Sussex Healthcare NHS Trust replied on 30 December 2016

Thank you for your detailed feedback about you and your grandfathers experience at the A&E department, Eastbourne DGH, on boxing day. It's always encouraging to share positive feedback with staff, particularly in A&E, where they often treat high volumes of patients and sometimes work under pressurised circumstances.

Please be assured your full posting will be shared with the A&E team, who will be pleased to read that their 'thorough and compassionate' approach to patients has been recognised and praised.

We send you and your grandfather our best wishes

Anonymous gave East Sussex Healthcare NHS Trust a rating of 2 stars

9hr wait for surgery ??

Informed to attend litlington ward at 07.30 am. Met surgeon and anathetist specialist . Very professional and friendly. However , informed I was 2nd in the queue for surgery, this was at 9am. Unfortunately my procedure didn't take place till 4pm. No explanation from ward staff, accept that " the list keeps changing " . As I was admitted to morning session I did not drink water from 10pm previous night. No water offered all day, by 3 o'clock I had a pounding headache, extremely dehydrated. Upon waking from surgery treated good, then taken to Litlington recovery ward. Found staff to have terrible bedside manners, informed ward would be shutting by 7.30 pm. Had no option given to go to other ward to recover as I felt really ill. Was told this ward " isn't 24hr" . I immediately felt rushed , went to the toilet where I nearly passed out. Couldn't wait to leave to be honest . The whole experience was a nightmare. Don't expect 5* treatment , but communication and a good bedside manner I feel are essential when having surgery. Looks like the NHS feel if patients are treated like this they'll go " Private". I know I certainly will, as will my children as I don't want them to go through this ordeal.

Visited in August 2016. Posted on 19 August 2016

East Sussex Healthcare NHS Trust replied on 15 September 2016

We are deeply concerned and disappointed to read about your poor experience on Littlington ward at Eastbourne DGH. As a Trust, providing high quality care is a top priority, and a huge part of this, is effective communication. However, it's clear that this is not what you describe in your posting, and for this, we sincerely apologise.

Please be assured we take all feedback very seriously and have forwarded your posting to the Head of Nursing for Surgery and ward matron to act upon.

We would like an opportunity to speak to you to enable us to look into what happened in more detail and to apologise in person. If you would like to do this, please contact our Patient Advice & Liaison Service (PALS) on 01323 435886. Alternatively they can be contacted by email at: esh-tr.PALSE@nhs.net.

We thank you for your feedback and hope that your are willing to contact us.

Anonymous gave at East Sussex Healthcare NHS Trust a rating of 5 stars

Good place

Was admitted for trial without catheter (TWOC) to Urology Hailsham 4 in August 2016 at the DGH Eastbourne. Very nervous. Staff were welcoming, efficient and I soon felt relaxed and safe. Cannot thank staff enough.

Visited in August 2016. Posted on 21 September 2016

East Sussex Healthcare NHS Trust has not yet replied.

Helen Atkins gave East Sussex Healthcare NHS Trust a rating of 5 stars

Amazing care in A&E & plaster room

Last Sunday I had the misfortune to fall whilst out on a beautiful walk on Seaford coastal path. I fell breaking one of the main bones between wrist & elbow. I knew it was broken as I heard the loud snap. Immediately my arm look terribly distorted & was swelling by the second. I lay on the grass no knowing what to do I was in so much pain. My husband got me to my feet & somehow we managed to walk the half mile back to the car & endure a 20min drive to Eastbourne A&E. When we walked in I was mortified to see it packed to the rafters & obviously a long wait ahead. We sat down I could hardly contain myself with the pain & the feeling of nausea & faintness. Fortunately a wonderful angel, Nurse noticed my agony & rushed me through to their area. They asked me accident details, got me some pain relief & proceeded to sensitively help remove my wedding ring which had never left my finger in 39yrs as we both knew it would be cut off if the attempt with soap failed. It worked severely painful though it was. The nurse then immediately sent me off to X-Ray which confirmed a complete break. Straight away another lovely nurse gave me a very painful but necessary injection to prepare me for the manipulation of the bone to align it back into it's correct position. It took the two nurses & an expert Dr. carry out this proceedure which surely saved me from an operation. Yes it was painful but I had Gas & air & they were so kind & encouraging that I can only wonder at how at the end of a very busy challenging Sunday they remained so kind,sympathetic & totally professional. I have nothing but praise for them.The follow up X-Ray confirmed the accuracy of the procedure.Yesterday I had a follow appointment sorted out by the Nurse it went smoothly & I was sent to the plaster room for a second cast. They staff there are like a breath of fresh air. How cheerful & upbeat they all appear to be, creating a nice atmosphere when everybody entering there has had some kind of accident or misfortune. It really does make a difference. Everybody I came into contact with during those couple of days far surpassed my expectations of what I thought would lie ahead. Well done all of you & a very special thank you

Visited in July 2016. Posted on 27 July 2016

East Sussex Healthcare NHS Trust replied on 28 July 2016

Dear Mrs Atkins

Thank you for your feedback on NHS choices about the care you received from urgent care staff at East Sussex Healthcare NHS Trust. As a Trust, we're very proud of the professional, kind and caring staff we have, and we receive many postings, such as yours, that recognise this. It's good of you to take the time to let us know about your experience.

Please be assured that your comments will be shared with the teams concerned. It's always encouraging to share good feedback. The staff concerned will be happy to receive your 'thank you' and pleased to hear that they 'surpassed your expectations' and that you had a very positive experience.

We send you our best wishes and hope that you are making good progress with your recovery.

Anonymous gave East Sussex Healthcare NHS Trust a rating of 3 stars

Would like to have given 5 stars.

I had a small procedure local anaesthetic in Eastbourne. All was good, staff were professional and great but I don't think it's satisfactory that I had to change in the actual theater which was some way from where I arrived.

Visited in February 2016. Posted on 02 March 2016

East Sussex Healthcare NHS Trust replied on 16 March 2016

Thank you for your feedback about your experience of having a local anaesthetic at Eastbourne DGH. We're pleased to hear that you found the staff were 'professional and great' but we were also disappointed that not all of your experience was satisfactory. It's always our aim to provide the best possible experience for patients.

Please be assured we welcome all comments from patients and their families. Your observation about the changing facilities will be shared with the ward management team to consider whether this can be improved.

It's kind of you to take the time to provide useful feedback.