Taunton and Somerset NHS Foundation Trust

01823 333444 Musgrove Park Hospital , Taunton, Somerset, TA1 5DA

out of hours GP Service

On Friday evening after calling NHS 111 at 8pm i desperately needed medication, so was given an appointment with an out of hours GP for midnight by the GP who rang me back at Musgrove Park Hospital. I made them aware that the chemists would not be open, but they said 'we are a hospital and can get tablets here for you so not to worry'.
I waited up with my anxiety symptoms going out the roof and attended the midnight appointment. They didn't say their name, or introduce themselves, gave me the prescription. I asked them where the nearest pharmacy was but they were not interested in helping any further.
The receptionist was looking on google for me, and was helpful, but the GP said they were closing and shut the door on me and locked it so i couldn't finish my conversation with the receptionist. The receptionist apologized for the GP. I ended up with bad anxieties driving to Bristol and then Cardiff feeling upset and inconsolable.
The Police helped me in Bristol finally. I was not impressed with the whole attitude of the OOH GP and thought they was very unhelpful, judgmental and not fit to be a caring NHS GP. The whole ordeal has upset me and made me weary of trusting what people say.

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 20 August 2017

Christine Filer, Patient Experience Co-ordinator, Patient Experience, Musgrove Park replied on 22 August 2017

Dear Anonymous
I was sorry to read of your experience regarding your recent visit to the Out of Hours Service which resulted in you travelling to Cardiff and Bristol for help. I appreciate how very distressing this was for you.
Although the Out of Hours Service is based at Musgrove Park Hospital the service is provided by the Somerset Clinical Commissioning Group. In this instance, I would suggest that you contact the Patient Advice & Liaison Service based at the Somerset Clinical Commissioning Group who will be able to advise and support you at this time.
The contact details are as follows: Telephone Number: 0800 0851 067 or via email pals@somersetccg.nhs.uk
I do hope that you are feeling better.
With kind regards
Christine

Kate Spurway gave Taunton and Somerset NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

Brilliant maternity service

I just wanted to say massive thank you and really commend all the staff working within the maternity unit as well as the anaesthetist. They could not have been more professional, knowledgeable and supportive when I gave birth to my daughter. The whole team made sure my husband and I were fully informed on everything that was happening, and when the decision was made to go through to theatre, the whole process happened so quickly and smoothly. Truly brilliant care - thank you!

Visited in July 2017. Posted on 21 September 2017

Debra Young, Taunton & Somerset NHS Foundation Trust replied on 26 September 2017

Dear Kate
I am so pleased that you felt so well cared for and so well informed when you had your daughter. Having a baby is a very special event and I am glad that your experience of care was such a positive one. I will ensure I pass on your lovely feedback to the maternity team involved.

Anonymous gave Taunton and Somerset NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 4 stars

Breast care service

I attended the breast care centre at Musgrove park hospital having been recalled from the Somerset breast care screening programme. All staff were very caring and the process was all very efficient ( two weeks) Thank you all.
However as patients we don't always see the clinic and theatre staff again and I would like to report that the pre op care I received was excellent and the anaesthetic which I was dreading (after a previous bad experience elsewhere) was really professionally thorough and very reassuring plus I had a good recovery. So thank you very much to the anaesthetist and their team for making this part of my journey safe and dare I say pleasant!
I was a little dehydrated being last on the list and very late going home but nevertheless pleased with the care and service I received on the day of my much dreaded operation.

Visited in June 2017. Posted on 20 July 2017

Christine Filer, Patient Experience Co-ordinator, Patient Experience, Musgrove Park replied on 24 July 2017

Dear Anonymous
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience regarding your recent visit to the Breast Care Centre. I appreciate that this was a worrying time for you.
It is always a pleasure to receive such kind comments and we have forwarded these on to the staff members you mention. I am sorry to read of your previous bad experience and I am glad that you felt reassured on this occasion.
I do hope you continue to make a speedy recovery.
Once again, thank you for sharing your feedback.
Christine

Our of Hours GP disgrace

I wen through the 111 service who said i needed to speak to a doctor , Doctor Called within an hour and decided they needed to see me, as the pain and frequency of urination indicated water infection took the sample the doctor said it was clear so i asked them why am in pain and peeing so much the doctor said they did not know. I also asked the doctor to check my phlegm as it had bits in it they said they could be cluster of dried blood talk to your GP about it when i had finished explaining my Symptoms the doctor said right hang on sit down you telling me to many things no i was telling you what i was experiencing hoping you would use you skills as a doctor to advise what was wrong or at least advise on what next steps to take.... I suffer from anxiety and i believe the doctor totally disregarded symptoms and blamed it on anxiety i just sat there and looked at them and the doctor said nothing i can do , can give you codine and antibiotics confused i said why would i need that if you said there is not infection ? why do i need codine if you think i am not in pain and just having a panic episode? I told the doctor I had an appointment on Monday with the general surgeons regarding an abdomen as i had an op last year and the issues were back they did not seem interested in the least did not wish to investigate any further so i left. Last time I went to an out of Hours GP with similar complaint i ended up in theatre because i kept on and on as i know my own body and no when something is not right. I feel the Doctor failed in their duty if care, unless the doctor is right and they can not organise tests within the hospital if not why not! Always had issues with Musgrove Yeovil Hospital is so much better at diagnostics and they take the time..... Hospitals and Doctors need to look at what is been presented rather than asking about my anxiety meds then just say oh must be anxiety and a quick way out

Visited in May 2017. Posted on 19 May 2017

Charmaine Griffiths, Taunton and Somerset NHS Foundation Trust replied on 01 June 2017

I was so sorry to read of your dissatisfaction during your recent visit to the Out of Hours Service. I appreciate this was very distressing for you. Unfortunately, I am unable to provide any feedback to you regarding the Out of Hours Doctors as this service is provided by Somerset Clinical Commissioning Group and not Musgrove Park Hospital.
However, may I suggest you contact with the Patient Advice & Liaison Service based at the Somerset Clinical Commissioning Group who will be able to advise and support you at this time and hope this is helpful to you.
Contact details as follows: Telephone Number: 0800 0851 067 or via email pals@somersetccg.nhs.uk
I hope that you will be feeling much better soon.
Regards,
Charmaine

Anonymous gave Taunton and Somerset NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 2 stars

ITU are great but Montecute ward is dire.

My brother was in intensive care and the whole unit were amazing and it is the only reason I've given any stars at all. Today he was moved tonMontecute ward and the level of care has plummeted to near zero. He has phenomena now and despite having a kidney condition they only offers him cream mushroom soup and when he stated why he couldn't have it due to the over production of calcium in his body tpthey didn't offer him anything else and left him hungry. He looked tired from lack of energy and I had to bring food in for him. I have spent the better part of the day trying to speak with a nurse about his care and at no point did I get to speak to the nurse. Initially this was by phone and then during the visit. Whilst visiting the nurse was out on a twenty minute break and I came out a total of three times and the nurse was evidently taking a great deal longer than 20 minutes. When the nurse did finally come back I gave them eye contact and gesture towards them to speak, but despite having clocked me the nurse walked past myself and mum gassing away with another nurse. Several times I got the nurse's attention and they wouldn't speak with us until finally another nurse attempted but even after this the nurse would not speak with us. The nurse could clearly see I was disabled and another nurse told the nurse we were family needing to speak with them. So my brother is hungry and not getting adequate care. I have no choice now but to report the nurse for their breach of duty of care.

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 01 February 2017

Taunton and Somerset NHS Foundation Trust replied on 02 February 2017

I understand that you are currently in communication with one of our PALS Officers who is helping you with your concerns. Kind regards, Lucille Hoose, PALS & Complaints Lead.

Anonymous gave Taunton and Somerset NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

Excellent care

My husband was admitted via A and E suffering from a potential life threatening event. He was quickly seen and within 2 hours was transferred to the AMU within the hospital. All the staff encountered were amazing. Thank you Musgrove Park

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 06 February 2017

Laura Walker, Complaints Manager, Patient Experience, Taunton and Somerset NHS Foundation Trust replied on 10 February 2017

Thank you for taking the time to leave a response to let us know how pleased you are with the care that your husband received in A and E and AMU. I hope that he is making a good recovery and I will ensure the staff hear your positive feedback about his experience.
Laura

Ken gave Taunton and Somerset NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

cancer care and after care

My father has been treated for cancer and hernia over the past 2 years and the level of care can only be described as 1st class when compared to other areas of the country.

There are always a few areas for improvement in any organisation especially when you have 340,000 customers and the service is free and we have to take into consideration that 'you can't please everybody, all of the time'.

My father just wishes to say a humble thank you to all the staff for their consistent, competent and friendly dedication. Praise where praise is due, so thank you from him and his family. Keep up the good work.

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 19 February 2017

Jo Wilson, Living With & Beyond Cancer Lead, Taunton and Somerset NHS Foundation Trust replied on 22 February 2017

Thank you very much for your kind comments praising your cancer care at Musgrove Park Hospital. It is always a pleasure to receive commendations regarding positive patient experience which I will forward to, and will be valued by, our staff working with cancer patients.

candyfloss gave at Taunton and Somerset NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

wonderful care of my mum

Portman ward looked after my elderly mum after she was admitted with a infected foot, I was very happy to see the happy friendly staff that cared for her ,from the staff nurses to the cleaners they looked after her wonderfully .They were always happy to answer my questions on her recovery and answer my many calls when unable to visit .Even though they were always busy they always took their time to explain to her what was happening and to make sure she was comfortable pain free and happy.You took away the worry of her being in hospital as I knew she was in good hands

Visited in August 2016. Posted on 20 August 2016

Taunton and Somerset NHS Foundation Trust has not yet replied.

Jg Hamilton gave at Taunton and Somerset NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 1 stars

Cancelled appointments staff shortage

Appointments cancelled long wait between them Mir scan no quick follow up ,treatment options to help problem ,worried and frustrated with whole process ,not enough staff to cover absences

Visited in May 2016. Posted on 28 July 2016

Taunton and Somerset NHS Foundation Trust replied on 29 July 2016

I have just read your comments and I am very sorry to read about the concerns you have regarding your treatment at Musgrove Park Hospital. Please contact one of our PALS Officers who would be happy to help you: please tel 01823 343536 or email pals@tst.nhs.uk.  Lucille Hoose. Patient Advice & Liaison Service and Complaints Lead

Uncared for

During a 24 hour trip home from Thailand, I developed ear ache that was so painful I felt like I was going to pass out. I landed in the U.K. At 6pm on Friday night so was unable to go to any GP, so decided to try and make it through to morning, after taking every over the counter painkiller possiblec heat packs on my ear I couldn't bare the pain any longer and in tears went to A&E to try and get some help. It was busy, very busy, after waiting 2 hours I asked the receptionist how long they thought it might be (I have family who work in the NHS, so was super polite about it) I then received a dressing down from the receptionist about visiting A&E with ear ache and why I hadn't called the out of hours doctor - as someone who very rarely goes to the doctor I didn't know this was an option and would have done this right away if it had been suggested. I was then so upset by the receptionists comments I left, the next morning I went to minor injuries to be told I had an incredibly severe infection and was put on various strong medications and pain killers. I know you get many time wasters, I was not one of them, do not pain everyone with the same brush.

Visited in July 2015. Posted on 11 October 2016

PALS and Complaints Lead, Patient Experience Department, Taunton and Somerset NHS Foundation Trust replied on 12 October 2016

I am very sorry to read your comment regarding your recent visit to the Accident & Emergency Department at Musgrove Park Hospital. Please contact one of our PALS Officers who would be happy to help you with your concerns by calling 01823 343536 or email mailto:pals@tst.nhs.uk.
I do hope this finds you feeling a little better.
With best wishes,