Bedford Hospital NHS Trust

01234 355122 South Wing, Kempston Road , Bedford, Bedfordshire, MK42 9DJ

Hip operation follow up

My mother had her hip operation a year ago this month at 91 years of age. The operation was carried out by Mr Arvinte and the great support team at Bedford Hospital. She was in for a about a week and the care she received was very good.
This week we returned for a follow up assessment. We were in and out with 45 minutes including an xray. Everyone was very helpful and respectful to mum and she was keen that we recorded our thanks for the successful operation and on going engagement with Bedford hospital. She is very pleased with the care she has received and the operation has changed her life.

Visited in September 2017. Posted on 23 September 2017

Thankful wife! gave Bedford Hospital NHS Trust a rating of 5 stars

Thanks to A+E

Thanks to everyone in a+e on Sat night 30.9.17 for your swift care and dignified support. My husband picked up an infection following a cystoscopy in another hospital. We were worried about sepsis due to his high temperature, but also the pain he was in. From leaving our house, to returning home with antibiotics, having had blood and urine tests took just 3 1/2 hours, on a busy night. The staff remained good-humoured, patient, observant and were clearly dedicated to their work - THANKYOU!!!

Visited in September 2017. Posted on 01 October 2017

Whitbread Ward

I stayed on the Whitbread Ward for 4 days; though this is a relatively short stay in comparison to others on the ward- I couldn't be happier with the treatment and care from the staff around me. Before being admitted to the Whitbread Ward, I stayed a few hours on the AAU where I also received good care, support and encouragement from certain members of staff involved with my treatment.
On the Whitbread Ward, all the staff, including the cleaners, kitchen staff, student nurses etc. were easy to talk to, caring and understanding throughout. I felt comfortable staying here and never felt as though anyone passed judgement towards me or didn't care about their work. Furthermore, I was given continuous support and truly felt cared for right up until I was discharged from the ward where certain staff took their time to talk to me and say goodbye.
I really appreciate all the staff's hard work and cannot fault those on the Whitbread Ward.

Visited in May 2017. Posted on 01 June 2017

Sharron Lines reviewed Bedford Hospital NHS Trust

Maternity Scare

My daughter was visiting for the Easter week-end from Northampton - she is 35 weeks pregnant - on Friday she felt no moment for over 4 hours called the Northampton triage number ans they said as your in Bedford call the labour ward and be seen there - we called ahead and they refused to see her making the situation more stressful for all of us - we then had to drive 40 minuets to Northampton just to have the monitor and to hear the heart beat - to put all our minds at ease - Bedford hospital said it was to do with funding - so a life is not important only funding ...... to put this amount of extra stress on a 35 week pregnant lady I think is appalling !!!!!!

Visited in April 2017. Posted on 18 April 2017

DavidCG gave Bedford Hospital NHS Trust a rating of 5 stars

Endoscopy Department

I had a procedure on 10 March and the whole process was brilliant from beginning to end. The staff from Reception to Recovery area were first-class. They were professional and clear at every stage, checking I understood what was happening and ensuring I was comfortable.
A gastroscopy is never a pleasant process but I cannot fault the experience at Bedford. The consultant was outstanding.

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 16 April 2017

Endoscopy Department

I can't praise all the staff that I came into contact with enough. They were very kind and professional, totally unrushed and, explained everything about the procedure helping to ease my anxiety. The after care was just as good. Thank you.

Visited in January 2017. Posted on 21 January 2017

Anonymous gave Bedford Hospital NHS Trust a rating of 1 stars

Poor NHS funding

Having attended an appointment today with a surgeon I have been told, in a round a bout way, that the NHS won't do the surgery I require as they don't do that and I'd find it hard to find an NHS surgeon who would operate. I am also told I need intensive physiotherapy and hydrotherapy but the NHS has limited how much I can have so I should get a private physio and use the local pool instead. Bit difficult on crutches but there you go. Oh but if I go private I can have the surgery as you definitely won't heal without it.......NHS is over subscribed, understaffed and completely under funded. Very difficult not to show your frustration to the person delivering the news, that said, honesty goes a long long way. You can save all the medical jargon for someone who has no idea of their condition and just come out with the truth.

Visited in November 2016. Posted on 10 November 2016

Anne Carter gave Bedford Hospital NHS Trust a rating of 5 stars

Cardiac Catheterisation suite

I was admitted for a angioplasty. I had a stent put in my right coronary artery. The staff in this department are absolutely brilliant with no exceptions. I cannot find fault with any of the staff in this department. They were helpful, cheerful, answered my questions and dedicated to their work. A big thank you to everyone there. Anne Carter

Visited in November 2016. Posted on 17 November 2016

Anonymous gave at Bedford Hospital NHS Trust a rating of 3 stars

Mixed reviews depending on staff there

Firstly I would like to say that although the NHS is at times flawed, on the whole, staff are very good despite the long hours and terrible pay. So I am sympathetic. However, and I'm sure every member of the public has experienced at one time or another, nurses that can be very brusque with little or no empathy. I visited several times recently.The first time, as soon as I had been taken to the ward, the head nurse, came over to my family and I, introduced them-self in a bright and friendly manner and assuring me they would take care of me.I was seen immediately and I have to say, all the staff that night were great. However, fast forward to my most recent visit (yesterday) and it was a very different story. I arrived by ambulance and after being put in a room, the nurse who initially approached, didn't introduce them-self, didn't look me in the eye and just waved to the ambulance people where they should leave me. They then proceeded to argue for half an hour as the nurses said they weren't expecting me, when asked for pain relief they have to wait for the doctor in order to prescribe anything. Over 7 hours I asked for pain relief and was fobbed off. There is a long list of actions I felt were inappropriate but the main point I wish to make is that staff should understand that sometimes when patients arrive they may be scared, in a lot of pain, frustrated etc. This is not helped when staff are unhelpful, refuse to offer pain relief and tell you the classic 'the doctor is see you next' tô the 'they had to go for an emergency " when asking 2 hours later if you were still 'next". I had to leave in the end when i was told they would have to remove my hot water bottle, which was the only thing I had to help with the pain. That was my breaking point.

Visited in September 2016. Posted on 10 September 2016

Liz Burnage gave Bedford Hospital NHS Trust a rating of 5 stars

Shuttleworth Ward

I was admitted to Shuttleworth Ward in September 2016 suffering from an abcess which had caused sepsis and a flesh eating bug on the outside of my vagina and downwards through to my bottom
Over 24 days I had 5 surgeries to rectify and treat the injuries including a surgical wound extending from my bottom to my tummy and various treatments and dressing changes on the Ward
I'm all this time I was treated with kindness sympathy and understanding having lost my husband to renal failure in 2014 causing grief depression and anxiety
My diabeties was treated in an expert way and I had the care of the dietian as I had lost a lot of weight and had disregarded my health since my husbands death
The surgical staff the nursing staff the support staff the Physiotherapy staff absolutely everyone was wonderful
I left Shuttleworth Ward with a lighter heart and was in awe of the treatment I received by the overworked and incredible NHS
Thank you a tin of sweeties and cards seems such a poor way to repay the people who not only saved by life but also made me feel that my life is worthwhile even without my precious husband

Visited in September 2016. Posted on 18 May 2017