Lewisham and Greenwich NHS Trust

020 8333 3000 Trust Headquarters, University Hospital Lewisham, Lewisham High Street , London, SE13 6LH

Anonymous gave at Lewisham and Greenwich NHS Trust a rating of 2 stars

help

Had a operation recently for cholesteatoma. ended up having tympanoplasty
excision of reaction pocket of tympanic ( procedure)
EUA PNS- examination under anaesthetic of postnasal space
ossiculoplasty using artificial prosthesis
atticotomy of ear. Surgery went wonderful and no issues. After care team was not so good. 3 hours i waited to be sent home, was not offered any food, tea and had to wait 20 mins for a small cup of water.

When finally being discharged i was given some ear drops and tablets. Was not explained to me how to take care of my ear, when my follow up appointment is or any other details. I do not know if i should keep cotton in my ear or not. The pain hasn't gone away after 4 days and hurts just as much at the beginning. No idea who to call for any kind of reassurance or general help.

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 01 September 2017

Lewisham and Greenwich NHS Trust replied on 11 September 2017

We are very disappointed to hear about your negative experience here at Lewisham hospital . Ms Wilkinson Service Manager for ENT has spoken with the Consultant regarding the information that should have been made available. We will work with the teams to ensure this information is provided to all patients on discharge.

To discuss your case further please contact Sophia Facey, Complaints Co-ordinator, Surgery, sophiafacey@nhs.net

Thank you for taking the time to give feedback.

Anonymous gave Lewisham and Greenwich NHS Trust a rating of 1 stars

you could not make this up

I am currently residing in Mulberry Ward.
At about 9.15 this evening porters unplugged my bed and wheeled me to xray.On returning porters placed the bed back in position but did not plug it in or test it before they left.
My wife plugged the bed in and discovered it lockedin the highest position.Nurses called the porters but received no reply.
This is cearly a health and safety issue.It is unacceptablle that this has not been resolved after an hour a half and is preventing me fron going to sleep.

Visited in July 2017. Posted on 20 July 2017

Lewisham and Greenwich NHS Trust replied on 27 July 2017

I am very sorry to hear about your experience at Lewisham Hospital. Unfortunately without your details I cannot identify the staff member you spoke to, I will however share this with the staff on the ward to make them aware. If you would like to discuss this further please do not hesitate to contact me - Tel: 02083333000 ex 8955 /8935 or email pals.lewisham@nhs.net.

Mary Nwosa
Ward Sister
Mulberry Ward
University Hospital Lewisham

Thames anti natal care

Service is very windy washy, given contradicting information on each visit and notes never match experience. Never given explanation of what is written or recorded. Have had to seek alternative support via gp practice and hospital.
Missed important advice and checks such as get and additional growth scan. Midwife are not polite or friendly and never seem to be on time then rush you through appointment.
I would say hospital staff have been fantastic. Unfortunately community team are not.
They also never listen to recommendations or follow up on checks.

Visited in May 2017. Posted on 12 May 2017

Lewisham and Greenwich NHS Trust replied on 17 May 2017

Lewisham and Greenwich NHS Trust Maternity Services would like to express their sincere apologies that your experience of the community midwifery service did not meet your expectations.

The Trust expects all staff to provide high quality compassionate woman centred care. Your comments will be fed back to the community teams to enable them to make the requisite changes so that all patients feel they have been well cared for.

Our sincere apologies again.

Melinda Bird
Midwifery Matron for ANC, Community and Greenwich Birth Centre,

Insectinearlady! gave at Lewisham and Greenwich NHS Trust a rating of 5 stars

Great service

Visited ENT dept. First ever visit to Lewisham hospital. Arrived 9.30am for a 10.10 appointment but was on the bus home by 10.05! Very speedy and efficient. Seemed like people were being called in every few minutes to me which is good. I was very relieved to be rid of the insect which had been lodged in my ear for 4 days and which 2 other hospital urgent care centres had been unable to remove. The 2 staff members I saw explained everything thoroughally and went one step further in advising on a separate ENT issue.

Visited in May 2017. Posted on 16 May 2017

Lewisham and Greenwich NHS Trust replied on 17 May 2017

Thank you for your feedback, I will make sure this is passed on to the team.

I am very happy to hear that you had a positive experience and we were able to help you where others were not.

Disgusted

Despite having constant pain in my lower right abdomen for the past two weeks, along with being unable to eat, having a low-grade fever, and vomiting I've been left to look like a hypochondriac by the A&E doctors at lewisham hospital. I really don't appreciate being made to look like a fool, when i'm experiencing pain that wakes me up at night. The first suspicion was appendicitis but as soon as i told the doctor i had my appendix removed the doctor looked baffled to the point where they didn't know what to do. The only thing i had ordered was blood tests, not even an X-ray to see what may be causing the pain. As soon as my bloods came back normal (which was expected.) I was told 'oh it's probably just ibs, reduce stress, try different treatment options.' I've had 'IBS' for the past 4 years (I won't bother going into that otherwise i'll end up writing a full report.) In the past 4 years did the doctor not think I tried every treatment option? I know how to differentiate between ibs pain, and something else. I know the A&E doctor isn't a gastro but wouldn't common sense say an x ray may be necessary? Here i am...still in a lot of pain...unable to eat, and having to once again go around in a loop.

Visited in May 2017. Posted on 02 June 2017

Lewisham and Greenwich NHS Trust replied on 06 June 2017

Thank you for your comment, we are sorry that you were not happy with your experience. Without specific details it is difficult to comment but we would be more than happy to review your case. If you contact the Patient Advice Liaison Service (PALS) on 020 8333 3355, we can get your details in order to respond properly.

Matron
A&E Department

JT gave Lewisham and Greenwich NHS Trust a rating of 5 stars

NHS at it's best

Last Friday 3rd March. Blood test and ECG.
Both walk in, all done and dusted by 10am.
Lovely staff, who could ask for more.
Marvellous, thank you.

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 08 March 2017

Lewisham and Greenwich NHS Trust replied on 08 March 2017

Thank you for your positive comments and taking the time to offer this feedback. Your comments are greatly appreciated and will be shared with the team.

Patient Experience Team

Keith Bryant gave Lewisham and Greenwich NHS Trust a rating of 1 stars

Appointment reschedulled again! Now my Son has another month

Paediatric Medicine has rescheduled my Son's appointment by 1 month. Originally referred in Dec 2016 we now have to wait until May 2017 until we are seen.

The letter did not even explain why it has been rescheduled. I think that is arrogant not explain why an appoint has not been rescheduled. It was originally with one doctor, and it's now it's with another. Also there is not details of how to complain on the letter.....

My Son now has to wait with itchy red arms and legs and all I get is this impersonal letter.

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 24 February 2017

Lewisham and Greenwich NHS Trust replied on 03 March 2017

We are sorry that your son’s appointment has been rescheduled without explanation. We do need more details to enable us to investigate the circumstances and would ask that you contact our Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) at pals.lewisham@nhs.net or on 0208 333 3355 so that we can look into the matter further.

Patient Experience Team.

Thomas gave Lewisham and Greenwich NHS Trust a rating of 1 stars

Poor service

I was admitted in Cedar ward in organs zone on 7/01/2017 at 19.45hrs due stomach pain. Around 23.30 hrs one of the on call duty doctors came to me and said we couldn't find anything in ur blood results so you need to leave right now as another patient is waiting for your bed . I said I cannot walk as I'm in extremely pain but the doctor didn't listen to me the doctor continued same and the doctor also told me this is not a five star hotel to take rest if you not leaving this bed I will call the security guard.

Visited in January 2017. Posted on 09 January 2017

Lewisham and Greenwich NHS Trust replied on 20 January 2017

I am sorry to hear that you did not have a good experience on Cedar Ward. We do need more details to enable us to investigate fully and would ask that you contact our PALS Department at pals.lewisham@nhs.net or on 0208 333 3355 so that we can look into the matter further.

Stephen gave Lewisham and Greenwich NHS Trust a rating of 5 stars

ENT Reception

The ENT receptionist this morning 4/5/16 saved my day. After my ridiculous personal error - which would have most people rolling their eyes, and indeed Lewisham appointments and ENT department "unable" to help in any way - the receptionist persevered constantly exploring every avenue and not giving up on my issue until a solution was found. Potentially 2 more months of worry, waiting and disappointment have been avoided thanks to their help. Pleasant, polite, sincere throughout, there was also a positive and sympathetic vibe throughout this department from the staff.

Visited in May 2016. Posted on 04 May 2016

Lewisham and Greenwich NHS Trust replied on 19 July 2016

Many thanks for your feedback. I have passed this to the reception team, the reception is very busy but I am pleased that they found the time to help you.

Many thanks

Giusy Frate gave Lewisham and Greenwich NHS Trust a rating of 1 stars

Awful place, awful customer service

My son medical records have been lost since September and even after a formal complaint to that useless PAL office, they keep ignoring my emails and phone calls. From time to time I have managed to speak to someone, just to be told that somebody else would call me back to investigate my issue, but I never got any call back. Worst hospital I have ever been (maternity ward floor cleaned once in 5 days I was there...shame on you!), but above all, worst customer service ever. They really make you feel like you have no right to question what they do, but they forget they are there to help, nothing else!

Visited in September 2015. Posted on 04 April 2016

Lewisham and Greenwich NHS Trust replied on 21 July 2016

Ms Aoife Cavanagh, Head of PALs and Complaints, understands that the medical records have since been located. We apologise that this could not have been resolved sooner and that the standard of communication on this occasion was not what we would expect it to be. Ms Cavanagh wishes to reassure you that the themes from this complaint were discussed at a team meeting on 30th June 2016 in the Complaints Department, where the importance of staying in regular contact with patients and relatives was emphasised.

We contract out the cleaning services on both hospital sites using the National Standards of Cleanliness. This would mean this area gets cleaned thoroughly once every morning and then spot checked each afternoon. Regular audits are carried out on the standard of the cleaning by both contractor and Trust representatives to ensure the appropriate standard is being achieved with any issues resolved rapidly. There are occasions where access to particular rooms is not possible for a short time due to the needs of the patient and when this happens the cleaning is rearranged.

We have raised your comments with our contractors and asked that they ensure the frequency of cleaning is maintained as per the national standards. We apologise if the standard was not as it should have been on this occasion but are confident it was a one off and that a good standard of cleaning is being maintained throughout our sites.