Lewisham and Greenwich NHS Trust

020 8333 3000 Trust Headquarters, University Hospital Lewisham, Lewisham High Street , London, SE13 6LH

Anonymous gave Lewisham and Greenwich NHS Trust a rating of 2 stars

Various receptions needs a lot of work at Lewisham

While I have been able to chase after and solve my problems with much perseverance and patience, what fails to surprise me is the rudeness of some reception staff when on the phone. Introducing themselves in a very informal and tiresome manner, I feel as soon as they pick up the phone they want to hang up the call. I feel uncomfortable by the way they answer as though they are impatient and want the call to end, and if I do not understand something or want to double confirm an issue, they sound very irritated. If they do not want to work there then just quit. We patients need comfort and the reception is the first line to provide even a little amount to help us in the situation we are in. So while I receive moderate to very good care from the doctors, receptionists who have this rude attitude need to be trained to respond better to patients, as there are also young people who need reassurance when trying to deal with a situation by themselves.

Visited in April 2019. Posted on 02 May 2019

Lewisham and Greenwich NHS Trust has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Lewisham and Greenwich NHS Trust a rating of 3 stars

Disgusting state of toilets at Lewisham hospital

The toilets nearest to the main entrance were in a disgusting state when we went to use them on Friday 1st February at about 4 ish.
There was no cleaning chart up so there was no way of knowing what time the toilets had last been cleaned.
When we reported this to the receptionist she thanked us and said it had already been reported twice that day

Visited in February 2019. Posted on 03 February 2019

Lewisham and Greenwich NHS Trust replied on 06 February 2019

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. I apologise that you had a negative experience whilst visiting the hospital.

The toilets in the main entrance at University Hospital Lewisham Hospital are currently being refurbished and will improve the environment. The Trust is also currently negotiating a new cleaning contract starting next year which will address the cleaning frequencies, we are proposing hourly cleaning. The Trust doesn’t advocate cleaning signing sheets as they are subjective and the standard should be clean. In the interim the Trust will work with the current cleaning contractor to help maintain standards in a very busy area and we welcome further feedback

Estates and Facilities Team
Lewisham & Greenwich NHS Trust

Sarah E gave Lewisham and Greenwich NHS Trust a rating of 1 stars

Ignoring referrals

I would like to give a review of my care at Lewisham hospital but I can’t because they have not even acknowledged my referrals. I found out I was pregnant at about 9-10 weeks and my GP sent a referral the same day. I was told I should expect contact from Lewisham very soon because of how far along I am. I waited 2 weeks and heard nothing. My GP sent a second referral and I still heard nothing. I referred myself and I have still heard nothing.

I am now roughly 16 weeks pregnant and I still have heard nothing. I have spent £30 calling Lewisham hospital directly and being pushed from pillar to post and got nowhere. I called maternity services (who were quite rude to me) who told me to phone Greenwich who then told me to phone Lewisham who did not answer my call. I seem to be having trouble talking to someone at PALS too.

I am now looking into seeking legal advice. Lewisham Hospital have totally ignored me and clearly do not care for my health and my unborn child’s. I have zero confidence that Lewisham hospital have the competency to care for both us. The fact that I can’t even be acknowledged is a big concern.

If I could give a no star rating I would.

Visited in January 2019. Posted on 23 February 2019

Lewisham and Greenwich NHS Trust replied on 11 March 2019

I am so sorry that you have had difficulties trying to arrange your care at Lewisham Hospital, our usual process is to try and contact you within a few days of your referral so that care can be initiated. You and your baby are our utmost priority and we want to help you through your pregnancy and birth and listen to your preferences and choices.

Please could you email me directly on lynn.bayes@nhs.net or call me on 07824 837347 and I will assist you in arranging your care going forward.

Lynn Bayes
Matron for Birth Centre and Community Services

Anonymous gave Lewisham and Greenwich NHS Trust a rating of 5 stars

Paediatric diabetes team are amazing!

We have experienced the very best of the NHS from the team, from my daughter’s diagnosis in March through several visits outpatients. The consultant, specialist nurses and dietician have been kind, supportive and generally marvellous. They check in on email regularly. I can’t thank them enough.

Visited in October 2018. Posted on 16 November 2018

Lewisham and Greenwich NHS Trust replied on 21 November 2018

We greatly appreciate people taking time to give feedback on our service and it’s lovely to receive such positive comments. Thank you so much, I’ve shared your feedback with the rest of the team.

Paediatric Diabetes Specialist Nurse

Anonymous gave at Lewisham and Greenwich NHS Trust a rating of 5 stars

Juniper Ward

I cannot praise and thank the nurse and her team on this ward for making my Mother's stay so comfortable. The team did everything possible to reassure an elderly confused lady how much they cared.
Previous experiences in another hospital had been terrible so this really was a nice surprise as we expected the worse and got the best. Everyone was friendly from the Domestic Staff right the way through to the top. Time was made to reassure and has made a lasting impression with us and those who visited whilst she was there.
We have no hesitation in praising the teams here.

Visited in September 2018. Posted on 28 September 2018

Lewisham and Greenwich NHS Trust replied on 01 October 2018

The Head of Nursing for Surgery was delighted you and the family had such a positive experience within Juniper Ward. The whole team are committed to excellence and is always satisfying when patients and family take the time to thank us. We hope your Mother continues to recover and be assured this positive feedback is shared with all members of the Juniper team.

Best wishes

Karen Gardiner
Head of Nursing, Surgery, Anaesthetics & Critical Care, UHL site

Anonymous gave Lewisham and Greenwich NHS Trust a rating of 1 stars

Staff uncaring and uncompassionate for elderly mum

My elderly and frail 71 year old mum was admitted to the hospital after a fall with broken collar bone
She was put on the alder ward. She asked for help to go to the toilet. They said no you can go yourself
Which she had to do with great difficulty. She asked for help with washing herself and was told they where too busy too help. I understand the pressure our nhs staff are under. But being uncaring and uncompassionate about our elderly parents is unacceptable. After just 4 days on ward was sent home because they needed the bed. She was left on a chair for 5 hours waiting for a taxi.giving her sores. I would expect this treatment in a third world country not our nhs

Visited in April 2018. Posted on 20 April 2018

Lewisham and Greenwich NHS Trust replied on 03 May 2018

I am sorry to read your comments about your recent visit to Lewisham hospital. All of our staff are trained to carry out their duties with due care and professionalism. I do apologise that this has not been your experience on this occasion.

Please be assured that all your concerns you have raised are acknowledged. I will be highlighting the points you raised to the whole team by sharing your experiences with all staff so that we can learn from this with the aim of improving the future level of care we provide to our patients.

If you would like your concerns investigated further and receive a formal response please contact the Patient Advice & Liaison Service (PALS) team at Lewisham Hospital on 020 8333 3355.

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback.

Denise gave at Lewisham and Greenwich NHS Trust a rating of 4 stars

Cotton bud

Thankyou so much for removing the cotton bud lodged far down in my ear canal! The staff were very kind and much appreciated.

Visited in March 2018. Posted on 22 March 2018

Lewisham and Greenwich NHS Trust replied on 22 March 2018

Thank you for taking the time to give feedback on your treatment.

kind regards

Anonymous gave Lewisham and Greenwich NHS Trust a rating of 1 stars

Unbelievable services Lewisham hospital provided

I've done a CT scan on ENT department middle of January 2018 from my problem of not hearing properly in one of my ear. Is now gone 2 months and still not hear anything from the hospital.

Thousands of calls I've done tried to speak with someone on phone number 020 8333 3913 obviously, not successful.
I've called the receptionist of Lewisham Hospital, nothing they can do either, they keep transfer me to the number above which doesn't exist or no one pick up the phone.

Many times I've said to the people who I spoken I JUST NEED MY SCAN RESULTS. I don't expect any treatment from the hospital (even if I have to), I just need to get my results.

I'm not asking for nothing else.

I am deeply disappointed with the NHS service at Lewisham Hospital. No one seems to care and help me on find out the correct person the get the results, just transferring to an "unknown department".

Visited in January 2018. Posted on 12 March 2018

Lewisham and Greenwich NHS Trust replied on 12 March 2018

We apologise that you were unable to get through to the ENT Secretaries. The number you need to dial is 020 8333 3193. If the secretary is on the telephone then you can leave a message as all voice mail messages are cleared every day. Your details will be added to the results clinic where a member of the Consultants Team will contact you with regards to your results.

Yours sincerely

Cheryl Barson, Medical Secretary Manager

Anonymous gave Lewisham and Greenwich NHS Trust a rating of 2 stars

Sadly lacking in many areas

Both my partner and I have been treated at LGT in the past few months. My husband was seriously ill and could have died. He was left for hours in a&e with no treatment and then when finally admitted was ignored for hours on the ward too. Eventually someone noticed that he was extremely unwell and started the treatment that should have been started many hours before. I had to phone and harass the Doctors constantly for them to review him. If I hadn’t I truly believe he wouldn’t be here now.
Obviously I have complained but I have not had a reply yet.
I was treated for a rare condition and had surgery. Again it took months for the diagnosis to be made. I presented at a&e several times and went to the clinic via my GP several more times. Each time I was told that my pain and other symptoms were normal. Eventually I had a scan and finally I was diagnosed properly. That process took around 4 months. This delay meant that my condition was far more advanced than it would have been had I been diagnosed earlier. This meant that I had to have intrusive and painful treatment and am still suffering.
I fully understand that money is limited and there are more patients than can be accommodated. But I feel that LGT has failed me and my partner recently.
Some staff are wonderful but far too many are complacent and appear uncaring.

Visited in September 2017. Posted on 09 November 2017

Lewisham and Greenwich NHS Trust replied on 14 November 2017

I am sorry to read your comments about your recent visits to the A&E Department and subsequent care on the wards at Lewisham Hopsital. All of our staff are trained to carry out their duties with due care and professionalism. I do apologise that this has not been your experience on this occasion.
Please be assured that all your concerns you have raised are acknowledged. I will be highlighting the points you raised with the A&E and inpatient ward staff by sharing your experiences with all staff them so that we can learn from this with the aim of improving the future level of care we provide to our patients.

As I do not have your full details I am unable to request a response to your complaint concerns. If you would like to get this investigated fully you can contact the Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) on 0208 333 3178.

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback.

Anonymous gave at Lewisham and Greenwich NHS Trust a rating of 2 stars

help

Had a operation recently for cholesteatoma. ended up having tympanoplasty
excision of reaction pocket of tympanic ( procedure)
EUA PNS- examination under anaesthetic of postnasal space
ossiculoplasty using artificial prosthesis
atticotomy of ear. Surgery went wonderful and no issues. After care team was not so good. 3 hours i waited to be sent home, was not offered any food, tea and had to wait 20 mins for a small cup of water.

When finally being discharged i was given some ear drops and tablets. Was not explained to me how to take care of my ear, when my follow up appointment is or any other details. I do not know if i should keep cotton in my ear or not. The pain hasn't gone away after 4 days and hurts just as much at the beginning. No idea who to call for any kind of reassurance or general help.

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 01 September 2017

Lewisham and Greenwich NHS Trust replied on 11 September 2017

We are very disappointed to hear about your negative experience here at Lewisham hospital . Ms Wilkinson Service Manager for ENT has spoken with the Consultant regarding the information that should have been made available. We will work with the teams to ensure this information is provided to all patients on discharge.

To discuss your case further please contact Sophia Facey, Complaints Co-ordinator, Surgery, sophiafacey@nhs.net

Thank you for taking the time to give feedback.

Laura Wilkinson