Leeds Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust

0113 2433144 St. James's University Hospital, Beckett Street , Leeds, West Yorkshire, LS9 7TF

Anonymous gave Leeds Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust a rating of 5 stars

Breast Screening Service

I don't often write reviews but just wanted to say what a good service I received when going to the Breast Imaging Unit at the Lincoln wing, St James's Hospital, Leeds. Was greeted by a friendly receptionist & hardly had to wait for my apt. The radiologist was extremely helpful & even apologised for the short wait, which was no more than 10 mins.( Last time I didn't have to wait at all)

Visited in October 2017. Posted on 17 October 2017

Julie gave Leeds Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust a rating of 5 stars

Fantastic care

I attended ZLGI today round 12.30 due to breathing problems and chest pain was seen in a short space of time by a lovely staff nurse .the saw a doctor who was lovely and caring .I was sent for a x ray. Had a ECG done. And a full blood count .I was treated with so much care and compassion. I was back home just after 4 pm same day .with medication. I cannot thanku the nurse and doctor enough.

Visited in September 2017. Posted on 05 September 2017

Catherine Hopkinson gave Leeds Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust a rating of 5 stars

Fabulous service from lovely people

Had to come to minor injuries...wait time was only 10 minutes.. .seen by excellent staff in both minor injuries and x ray.
Fabulous service from the minute I walked in the building including the lovely member of staff cleaning who directed me.

Visited in June 2017. Posted on 28 June 2017

Jay reviewed Leeds Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust

Issue at Saint James Hospital and Roudhay road surgery leeds

I am disappointed with the lack of urgency that the IBD team at Saint James have taken to my situation. I am aware that I have Crohn's disease and started injection over 1 month ago, however have been feeling unwell for the last 2 to 3 months and mention a number of points to IBD team and all I am advised to do is to take the drug.

Other symptoms that i am having with neck, leg, arm pain may not even be link to the above diseases however IBD, A and E and my local GP, I am not getting anywhere if finding out what my current issue is and no attempt is being made for anyone to further checks, i assume due to the cost this may involve to assess how i am now and what I am going through at this moment of time.

I keep getting passed around to different areas and department and there is a lack of care from all areas.

regards

Jay

Visited in June 2017. Posted on 29 June 2017

Anonymous gave Leeds Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust a rating of 5 stars

Excellent service

Orthoptics Department

Kind, Caring & Professional staff especially one member of staff. Thank you for everything I really appreciate your support! :)

Visited in April 2017. Posted on 20 June 2017

Jayne G gave Leeds Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust a rating of 5 stars

Inpatient Pharmacy - fantastic customer service'

My son didn't realise that he had to use the hospital pharmacy at the LGI , calling at a pharmacy on his way home instead. Of course they were unable to fill the . I rang the hospital and was put through to the inpatient Pharmacy.

From the very start the staff at St James Inpatient pharmacy were friendly, helpful and with a 'can do' attitude. They explored the options for me , realised it was out of hours for all the other hospital pharmacies and said they were happy for me to call up to the Gledhow wing dispensary where they would fill the script for my son.

I didn't realise until entering the hospital but only had £5 cash with me , and no cash machine accessible, but they searched for an invoice form to facilitate the collection of the medication. It is rare to find a professional body so tuned in to delivering a pleasant, professional and helpful service. The staff working at 7.45pm on Saturday 22nd April are a credit to your hospital. And a very big thank you to those members of staff.

Visited in April 2017. Posted on 22 April 2017

Leeds Teaching Hospitals replied on 05 June 2017

Dear Jayne
Thank you so much for taking the time to write to us.
Your post is wonderful to read and I am very happy that our Pharmacy services were able to help you at such worrying time.
I am exceptionally pleased to know that the staff were pleasant, professional and helpful and that they fulfilled all your expectations.
I have taken the liberty of passing your kind and supportive comments on to the manager for Pharmacy Services for information and asked that she pass these on to the team. I know the team will be delighted with your feedback.
With kindest regards

Sick of pain gave at Leeds Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust a rating of 4 stars

Quite disappointed overall

I had my. Laparoscopy and hysteroscopy last Monday. I was the last one in I was waiting 6 hours which didn't really bother me I'm quite patient I was just really tired and hungry. The consultants approached me well before surgery to ask more questions. Which is when it was decided to do a hysteroscopy and dye text. The going into surgery wasnt difficult was quite relaxed and the staff were brilliant. Waking up was not too bad either I felt extremely dizzy and sick at this time is when the surgeon decided to show me my pics and tell me info. Thankfully I remembered. The thing that's really got Me Is ever since my lap iv had no communication with gynae what so ever I never received my own fis charge report. Iv been ringing the numerous secretary numbers iv been given. All of which ring to answer machine and then I leave a message and no reply back. I mean all want is my report from surgery my pictures from durhety etc. This was a diagnostic laprascopy which caught turned out to be a minor operative one with endometriosis findings what got burnt off and the other things they found they said they don't know why they're there surly with my history and what was found yo surely have an indication of what and why these things ate there. Iv basicly come back from this procedure with so many unanswered questions. It's not fair to try and have a conversation with someone that's just come out of GA. Then to find out from my gp that they've discharged Mr and told my gp to refer me to two other areas. I'm very disappointed my first gynae appointment was quick and it was decided a lap would be best at least a follow up appointment would have been nice to discuss findings in detail. The fact that the secretaries are just not getting back to me is absolutely rude in my opinion. Not impressed at all.

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 01 March 2017

Leeds Teaching Hospitals replied on 05 April 2017

Dear Sick of Pain
Thank you for taking the time to write to us.
I am very sorry to hear about the communication problems you have faced using our services. I understand that this must be a very distressing time for you.
I would be happy to look into the matters you have raised, however, there is not enough information included in your post for me to investigate further, I would therefore ask that you contact our Trust’s Patient Advise and Liaison Service (PALS).
This would allow us to pass on your concerns to the relevant manager so they can discuss this with you. This would also allow us to see what lessons we could learn from your experience.
Please call our Patient Advise and Liaison Service (PALS) on 0113 206 6261 or alternatively email patientexperience.leedsth@nhs.net
Kindest regards
Rosie
Senior Nurse
Patient Experience

Anonymous gave General dental treatment at Leeds Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust a rating of 5 stars

Fantastic Care for my Son

My 11 year old son was admitted to Ward 41 in June with a very inflamed bowel. We stayed two nights. Whilst the doctors and nurses were clearly very overstretched at times, their care was fantastic. It would have been much better had there been more doctors and nurses but this is probably unrealistic. My son was admitted again earlier this week to Ward 9 with worrying symptoms which we now know we're caused by flu! (He'd never been in hospital before, save for his birth!). Again the staff were fantastic. They acted extremely quickly when they realised he was developing a worrying rash. We stayed 2 nights and are well aware that we are the lucky ones. Thank you so very much to the brilliant staff.

Visited in December 2016. Posted on 24 December 2016

Leeds Teaching Hospitals replied on 30 December 2016

Dear Anonymous
Thank you so much for taking the time to write to us.
Please accept my sincerest thanks for your kind words.
I am very happy to read that we were able to help your son and I hope he is now doing well and has recovered.
I have taken the liberty of sharing your words of support and encouragement with with the ward matrons who I know will be delighted with your comments.
Again, thank you for taking the time to write to us.
With kind regards

Anonymous gave Leeds Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust a rating of 4 stars

good and bad

First and foremost may I say I have nothing but admiration for NHS staff, however I have over the last two weeks experienced two differing scenarios one at St James and one at LGI
Good
My wife (72) visited GP yesterday after being in pain for the last fortnight; they said she needed to go to A & E and gave her a letter. I took her to LGI she was seen and taken into the CDU ward almost immediately, yes we were there literally 10 hours but it is what it is, at least she was getting attended to.
Bad
In early hours of December 28th I myself woke up with pain in my shoulder and arm and chest pain, I tried to walk it off but became concerned, not wanting to over react I dialled 111 for advice, it was them who sent a paramedic who I have to say was exceptional.

The paramedic basically assured I wasn’t having heart attack but sent for a ambulance anyway, has they said it would be better to get a more thorough check. I was taken in dressing gown and slippers, I hasten to add, to St James and l was taken to waiting room by Ambulance crew, arrived about 5.15 a.m. appeared to be about 9/10 people in the waiting room, how many were waiting to be seen or were with someone cannot be certain, all were fully dressed however.

I accept it must be frustrating for staff when they come to call someone and they are not there, only to find later they were outside having a cig!. Happened more than once.

At 7.10 a staff member came out to say shift was changing and they wanted to do a roll call.

They came out again at 7.30 and addressed the waiting room by saying it will be 8 hours before anyone can see a doctor so you may want to consider going to see your GP’s or going to a walk in centre.
So basically I had waited nearly 2.5 hours without anyone even speaking to me to be made to feel I was there under false pretence and should haven’t bothered them.

I did not ring 999 in fact once paramedic had assured me tests were positive I didn’t even want to go to Hospital.

I crossed my name off the list and came home.

Visited in December 2016. Posted on 05 January 2017

Leeds Teaching Hospitals replied on 17 January 2017

Dear Anonymous
Thank you for taking the time to write to us.
I am extremely pleased that your wife had such a positive experience whilst visiting our Accident and Emergency Department at the Leeds General Infirmary. I have taken the liberty of passing your kind comments on to the Matron for the service.
I was very sorry to read of the poor experience you feel you had whilst visiting our Accident and Emergency Department at St James Hospital and I apologise that we did not deliver the care that met your expectations.
I have passed your comments on to the Matron for St James Accident and Emergency Department for information but it would be very helpful and beneficial for our services and the care of future patients if you would discuss these issues further with the Trust’s Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS); this would also allow us to look into the matters you have raised in further detail.
Contact details: Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) on 0113 2066261 or alternatively email patientexperience.leedsth@nhs.net
Once again thank you for taking the time to write to us.
With kind regards

Darren gave at Leeds Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust a rating of 1 stars

Refused treatment despite NHS fault

I was referred here in 2016 because of surgery that went wrong at another hospital to which I didn't want to return
I was refused to be seen here due to a clinical decision being told by them it was cosmetic
In pain on a daily basis

Visited in November 2016. Posted on 07 June 2017