North Cumbria University Hospitals NHS Trust

01228 523444 North Cumbria University Hospitals NHS Trust, Cumberland Infirmary, Newtown Road , Carlisle, Cumbria, CA2 7HY

Anonymous gave General dental treatment at North Cumbria University Hospitals NHS Trust a rating of 2 stars

Abysmal

The clinic was overflowing - around 20% couldn't access seats, many of them being elderly individuals with mobility aids. That's just a description of the people who actually turned up - it'd have been absolute chaos if everybody who'd missed their appointments that morning had actually had the decency to turn up. I was left waiting well over an hour past my appointment time before I was seen by a consultant, only to be discharged because my concerns weren't sympathised with. I wasn't the only unsatisfied patient in that clinic either - the gentleman next to me actually phoned his wife to say he was going to go back to his GP & get referred to the RVI because his experience with another consultant had been similar to mine.

Visited in September 2017. Posted on 10 September 2017

North Cumbria University Hospitals NHS Trust replied on 11 September 2017

We are very sorry to receive your comments and concerns via NHS Choices about your recent clinic experience at the Cumberland Infirmary.
The events that you describe re availability of seats in the waiting area and the lengthy clinic delay are not our usual standard and were clearly very distressing for you.
Without further investigation it is difficult to ascertain why the clinic was running late.
We do value your feedback and I will share this with the relevant senior staff within the department.
Once again please accept my sincere apologies for the poor experience resulting from your recent visit to Cumberland Infirmary dental services.
With best regards,

Anonymous gave North Cumbria University Hospitals NHS Trust a rating of 4 stars

day surgery

Unfortunately my operation was cancelled due to lack of theatre staff, after I had sat and waited for 4 hours to be told, being nil by mouth from the previous evening.

However the new day case out patients department at Whitehaven what I saw of it was clean, looks well designed and for a patient very accommodating. It is such a shame that a new state of the art department is not able to function fully due to staff shortages. To be able to have your own room and feel safe and secure was very comforting, not so can be said for my experience the next day at Carlisle for which I will leave a separate review.

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 03 April 2017

North Cumbria University Hospitals NHS Trust replied on 04 April 2017

Thank you for getting in touch with us via this website.
Please accept my apologies that your surgery was subject to a late cancellation because of staffing issues, these decisions are never taken lightly. I do understand that this would have been very frustrating for you when you were already prepared for your operation.
I am very pleased to hear that you found the new hospital environment to be of such a high standard. The single rooms have been subject to many positive reviews.
Best wishes

Jen gave at North Cumbria University Hospitals NHS Trust a rating of 5 stars

Day surgery

I was in for day surgery. Very anxious. The staff were fantastic. Very understanding and patient with me. Excellent level of care. All presents very friendly.

Visited in November 2016. Posted on 02 December 2016

North Cumbria University Hospitals NHS Trust replied on 05 December 2016

Thank you for taking the time to leave this positive comment on NHS Choices.
The teams are aware how nervous patients can be and they work very hard to ensure that everyone is comfortable and put at ease.
I shall ensure your comments are passed to the department as I am sure that they will be delighted to hear such complimentary feedback.
Best wishes

Julie gave North Cumbria University Hospitals NHS Trust a rating of 5 stars

High praise

I cannot praise all staff connected to Carlisle hospital enough. My husband suffered a cardiac arrest at home on the 9th October 2016, the paramedics that came in answer to our emergency call and staff in the A & E department were very professional and kept us informed through every step. Our highest praise goes to all the staff on the C C U ward, their warm attentive care was second to none. My husband was transferred to the Freeman at Newcastle where he under went a successful triple heart bypass. He is 13days post surgery at home making a fantastic recovery. Freeman hospital were able to provide the experienced and highly skilled surgeon, but Carlisle staff played a massive part in this successful out come. We thank all involved. Julie & family

Visited in October 2016. Posted on 30 October 2016

North Cumbria University Hospitals NHS Trust replied on 31 October 2016

Dear Julie,
Thank you for getting in touch with us with such a positive review of your families recent experience of the Cumberland Infirmary after your husband suffered a cardiac arrest at home.
I am very pleased to hear that you found the care and attention to be of such a high standard.
The team work very hard to ensure patients are comfortable and fully understand how anxious the patient and their families can be.
It is pleasing to hear that you found your husbands care and attention to be of such a high standard.
I will share your comments with The North West Ambulance Service and to the Matrons for Accident & Emergency and the Coronary Care Unit as I am sure they will be delighted to share your feedback with the wider team.
I do hope that your husband’s health is continuing to improve after his surgery in the Freeman Hospital.
Best wishes for the future to you, your husband and your family.
Patient Experience

M Davidson gave North Cumbria University Hospitals NHS Trust a rating of 5 stars

Gallbladder removal with overnight stay

I was offered an appointment in October for my gallbladder removal in Whitehaven. It was slightly further to travel but when you live in Cumbria you have to travel anyway but I am so pleased I did. I was under the care of a lovely surgeon who talked through my operation which I know to many is a small one but it was my first. I was made to feel very welcome by the theatre staff who explained I would be staying overnight due to distance and my theatre time so my husband left me there. I was checked over again and awaited my call in - upon waking in the recovery room the nurse stayed with me talking but to be honest I can't remember much - I was then taken to Ward 1 - where I was given a spacious room to myself with a shower room - the room was nicely decorated and extremely clean. The night were extremely kind and chatty when I was wide awake at 3 in the morning. Their care was excellent. I can honestly say it was one of the nicest hospitals I have visited and although it was my first actual operation my husband has had many hospital experiences over the past 30 years and this is the first time I have felt I wanted to put pen to paper as they say. I saw the cleaning team in the waiting areas doing a good job on the theatre trolleys, they were very pleasant and chatty to someone who was obviously nervous - the staff are to be commended for their professional and especially for their kindness - I left the next morning after a good breakfast and missed my lunch and dinner which looked very good and the choices were varied. Parking was good and not as expensive as some we regularly visit. A good experience for my first time in hospital and I would like to thank all those who looked after me.

Visited in October 2016. Posted on 10 November 2016

North Cumbria University Hospitals NHS Trust replied on 17 November 2016

Dear Mrs Davidson
Thank you very much for getting in touch with such a positive review of your recent stay in the ‘new hospital’ at West Cumberland.
I am very pleased that you are received kind and professional care and that you found the surgeon, theatre staff and ward staff supportive.
It is rewarding for our staff to hear that your experience made you ‘put pen to paper’. They work incredibly hard and they will be pleased to hear that this is appreciated by patients.
Your comments demonstrate this is a whole team approach to care as everyone has a part to play in the patient experience.
I shall ensure your comments are passed to the teams involved.
Many thanks
Patient Experience

Anonymous gave at North Cumbria University Hospitals NHS Trust a rating of 1 stars

Cancelled twice due to shortage of beds (in new hospital)

Due to my husband being in so much pain ( he can barely walk) we decided to go with the Cumbrian Clinic to have his hip replacement surgery done quickly, to date we have had 2 cancellations and the last one being Saturday gone, we were not informed until 6 pm the previous night but the voicemail was not picked up so we travelled nearly an hour to be told there was no beds available, bearing in mind this is a new hospital which I believe has no where near the amount of beds that the old hospital had !! How an earth do you expect to reach any decent goals when a patient who has been forced to pay for an operation still can not be seen, the funny thing about this is that whilst we were at the hospital we saw numerous beds that were empty,

Visited in May 2016. Posted on 30 May 2016

North Cumbria University Hospitals NHS Trust replied on 19 August 2016

Firstly, please let me apologise for the delay in responding to your comment here on NHS Choices; this was due to circumstances beyond the Trusts control that have now been rectified to ensure that we no longer miss the vital feedback made available to us.
I am very sorry that you felt your husbands planned admissions have been less than satisfactory.
This is not the care we would normally provide, our aim is to provide a high standard of care to all of our patients.
I totally understand that this experience has left the family feeling very frustrated and upset.
Your concerns do warrant further investigation in order so that we can provide you with an accurate answer but whilst your contact remains anonymous this is difficult to investigate.
The Cumbrian Clinic do utilise the beds at West Cumberland Hospital but on a few occasions these beds are withdrawn on a Friday afternoon due to capacity issues. This means that the West Cumberland Hospital site has experienced a high number of emergencies from Accident & Emergency.
It is unfortunate that the Cumbrian Clinic do not have their own beds to prevent this sort of situation happening. This is something that hospital managers are aware off and will be looking at closely in the future.
Your comments are important to us and by hearing about patients experiences we are helped to improve our service.
Once again please accept our sincere apologies on the stress that this has caused.
I do hope that your husband has had his surgery now and is recovering well.
With our best regards,

Anonymous gave North Cumbria University Hospitals NHS Trust a rating of 5 stars

Great care

I've had two operations at Carlisle hospital and both times received great care. My son was born at Carlisle and I have nothing but praise for all the staff there.

Visited in April 2015. Posted on 11 August 2016

North Cumbria University Hospitals NHS Trust replied on 16 August 2016

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with the Trust and for the opportunity to share your feedback with the surgical and maternity teams.
Thank you for giving us the option to share your kind comments with the teams involved in your care. I am sure that they will be delighted to receive your positive feedback.
Best wishes,