University Hospital Southampton NHS Foundation Trust

023 8077 7222 Southampton General Hospital, Tremona Road , Southampton, Hampshire, SO16 6YD

Sal B gave University Hospital Southampton NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

C Neuro Day Surgery Review

I have been in hospital for a cerebral angiogram this week and before I arrived I was petrified!
I am reliant on patient transport so arrived late and was in even more of a state. I would like to thank the staff who were absolutely brilliant. The ward staff were not only kind & friendly but also made sure I was alright at all times. The staff present during the procedure were all very good, explaining everything as it happened and were as quick with this procedure as they could be. I would totally recommend this ward & would not be so worried if I had to have another procedure with these staff.

Visited in September 2017. Posted on 29 September 2017

Debbie Watson, Patient Experience Advisor, University Hospital Southampton NHS Foundation Trust replied on 19 October 2017

I am sorry you had the additional stress of arriving late on transport. However, I am pleased that after your arrival you found the staff both welcoming and attentive.
It is pleasing that communication with you regarding your procedure was good and that your experience was positive.
Your feedback has been shared with matron to share with the wider team who cared for you.
I hope you do not require another procedure and wish you well with your recovery.

Wessex man reviewed University Hospital Southampton NHS Foundation Trust

Patronising nomenclature.

I hate the usage by some NHS staff of the terms 'my lovely', 'sweetheart', 'my love', 'poppet' etc.
These are not isolated incidents in my experience: I have found such inappropriate behaviour to be common in my local NHS Trust (Southampton).
I find that the use of such language demonstrates an innate lack of respect and an air of superiority on the part of the user, which is extremely insulting to me as a patient.
I used to hold my tongue, but now I complain straightaway whenever such terms are used towards me and have suffered the consequences.
Last summer, while in hospital, I complained about one nurse who, after being asked not to use such language towards me, replied condescendingly: "Alright my lovely. "
Another member of staff on the ward appeared and I related my complaint, to which they replied: "What do you expect me to do about it, my lovely? "
Stamp it out.

Visited in July 2017. Posted on 13 July 2017 using Care Opinion

Debbie Watson, Patient Experience Advisor, University Hospital Southampton NHS Foundation Trust replied on 01 September 2017

Dear Wessex man(service user).
I am sorry that you have found our staff talk to you using words and phrases that you find patronising. I am sure there is no harm intended but appreciate you find this condescending and insulting.
We would like to use your comments to help shape staff education in the art of communication.
If you would like to share with us the specific areas you have visited we can ensure that your feedback has been shared appropriately.
Please contact [patientsupportservices@uhs.nhs.uk](mailto:patientsupportservices@uhs.nhs.uk) or telephone 023 81206325

Myra bubb gave University Hospital Southampton NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

My excellent service at A and E

I arrived at a and e at 12 30 pm on Monday 20 th March. The triage nurse saw me within 30 mins, then I was straight through to the assessment centre. After the obs were taken and blood tests,I was taken to be assessed by the doctors. This is the first time I have been to A and E, and I can only say I was extremely impressed by every element of procedure I went through. All the staff were amazing, the nurses, doctors and admin staff. They all have such patience, care and amazing medical knowledge. I cannot praise them enough, they are truly the backbone of the NHS. They are courteous, friendly and very professional to every patient. I am so very impressed with my visit to your hospital, and like to applaud and thank your staff very much.

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 20 March 2017

Debbie Watson, Patient Experience Advisor, University Hospital Southampton NHS Foundation Trust replied on 22 March 2017

Dear Myra
Thank you telling us about your first experience of the emergency department. I am very pleased that our 'front door' met all your needs and that the staff were professional in all aspects of their role.

smifee gave University Hospital Southampton NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

Dermatology perfect service

A lot of people have unrealistic expectations of the NHS. They dither for ages about a problem and then expect immediate treatment when they do something about it.

I have had growths on my head for several years and monitor them regularly. At the first sign of a change I see my GP. Get referred to Dermatology and appointment in a few months. Examined and told to keep monitoring but no treatment necessary. At this examination I was given a complete skin MOT and found to have a fungal infection. Appointment for a biopsy in a couple of months. I just lie back and shut my eyes through any medical procedure. I didn't know it had been completed until told to put pressure on the biopsy site. Treatment recommendation, a cream, received a few weeks later.

Before the follow up appointment for the fungal infection one of the growths on my head changed considerably in shape & texture. I rang Dermatology and was told the doctor would be advised of the change and I would be telephoned. They rang back later that day with an appointment in a few days.

Examined and told to return in 2 days for a biopsy. I was aware of this procedure being carried out. Not much flesh on the top of a head. Result conveyed by letter a couple of weeks later. No treatment necessary.

Appropriate responses on all occasions re appointments. Friendly efficient reception staff & secretary. Thorough examination revealing a condition I was unaware of. Complete compliance with my requests not to give me a running commentary during the procedures. I am a completely satisfied outpatient.

Thank you to everyone in the dermatology department.

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 27 April 2017

University Hospital Southampton NHS Foundation Trust replied on 11 May 2017

Thank you so much for sharing your story and I am pleased that this has been a smooth journey through the system. It's good to know that you were communicated with appropriately and that staff complied with your wishes, the outcome of which is that you are 'completely satisfied'!
Staff in dermatology will be pleased to receive your feedback which will be shared with them.

Christian Astheimer gave University Hospital Southampton NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

attention

1) the response time, efficiency and friendliness of the 111 team was excellent
2) in A&E it did take some time check in but a variety of tests were done in an efficient manner
3) in cardiology the staff could not have been more supportive and surgical staff could not have acted more timely.

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 19 February 2017

University Hospital Southampton NHS Foundation Trust replied on 22 February 2017

Thank you for your positive feedback which will be shared with the staff concerned. We hope you are continuing to make a good recovery.

Anonymous gave University Hospital Southampton NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

Excellent care in emergency department

Thankyou for the excellent care my daughter with pneumonia received. The paramedics were caring, reassuring and capable. The nurses and doctors in the emergency department and resus were so caring and efficient. This was clearly a busy day, with trolleys queuing up in the corridor, but despite working at full stretch, all the staff treated her with their full attention and great care, couldn't have asked for more attentive care and kindness. Thankyou too, to the polite volunteer who brought us a welcome cup of tea. Well done Southampton emergency department, what a professional team.

Visited in December 2016. Posted on 16 December 2016

University Hospital Southampton NHS Foundation Trust replied on 30 December 2016

Thank you very much for your kind words and these will be passed to the emergency department for the staff to read.

Anonymous gave University Hospital Southampton NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 1 stars

Clinic, Eye Outpatient, Southampton General,

I was very disappointed by the rushed and superficial manner of the consultant. The consultant did not communicate or engage well. The consultant did not explain how to use the medication, I left not knowing if the ointment goes inside or outside the eye (I asked the pharmacist who didn't know, i then went back to the consultant's area and waited again, a nurse asked the consultant, came out and then the nurse tried to explain what they thought the consultant meant while 80 people teamed and swarmed around us in the waiting room, no chance for me to ask further questions). I had waited 5 months for the appointment, and then 2 hours in the waiting room; once in the consultant's room I felt extremely rushed and pressured to leave, the consultant simply could not wait to get to the next patient and I had less than 4 minutes of their time in total. I did not feel confident that the consultant knew or cared about my condition or that what they were prescribing was right for me, and the consultant didn't explain what it was or why they were prescribing it. The atmosphere the consultant created was Hurry Up and Get Out; I felt I should be embarrassed to be taking up even four minutes of their time and leave right away to make it easier for the consultant to get through their day.

Visited in November 2016. Posted on 21 January 2017

Debbie Watson, Patient Experience Advisor, University Hospital Southampton NHS Foundation Trust replied on 24 January 2017

I am very sorry that you found your consultation to be rushed and the environment was not conducive for your needs. Your feedback has been shared with the ophthalmology care group to review. If you have any outstanding questions or concerns please contact mailto:patientsupportservices@uhs.nh.uk or telephone 023 81206325 who will be pleased to help.

Kim gave University Hospital Southampton NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

MRI Head Scan - C Level

I would like to thank the staff at the MRI Scanner Centre on Level C. I went to the General Hospital today for an MRI scan on my head. The appointment was only made for me on Friday, as they had a cancellation for today, so I had not received a letter or instructions or the prescription for my oral sedatives. I arrived an hour early in the hope that they would be able to give me some sedatives (I'm claustraphobic and very nervous about being inside a "tunnel"). The staff at the centre were unable to supply the sedative (this can only be done by your GP) but asked me if I would like to try the scan without taking any medication. They were extremely patient with me, showing me the machine and explaining every detail about the scanner and attachments and told exactly what would happen during the scan. They were so reassuring that I felt I could cope without sedation and went ahead. I felt a bit panicked when the attachment was put over my head (the bit that takes the images) so they removed it initially. However, once I had taken the headphones off and felt less panicky, I asked them to try the head cover again. It took a while but with their patience and understanding I was able to have the full head scan (albeit with my eyes closed!) and was able to go straight home afterwards instead of waiting for any sedative effects to wear off. Thank you for taking away the anxiety I had been feeling.

Visited in October 2016. Posted on 31 October 2016

We were so pleased to read that you were able to go ahead with your MRI scan without a sedative and with the reassurance and patience of the staff looking after you.
Thank you for your kind comments which will be shared with the staff in that department.

So often the caring profession receives bad press so we wanted to say a heartfelt thank you to both the Air Ambulance Crew and the staff on Ward D4. Our Mum was unexpectedly hospitalised for 4 weeks on Ward D4, having been air-lifted from the Isle of Wight whilst on holiday there. All the staff on the Ward were very friendly and welcoming and looked after our Mum very well. They were very good at keeping us updated with Mum's progress (or relapses), and any treatment or operations she had to have and why, whether it was via the daily phone calls from us (we live in Derby) or in person when we visited. We cannot thank them all enough for giving us back our Mum - she means the world to all her extended family, so on behalf of all our family a very big Thank You. We will forever be grateful.

Visited in October 2016. Posted on 02 November 2016

Acting Head of Complaints, University Hospital Southampton NHS Foundation Trust replied on 11 November 2016

Thank you for taking the time to provide such lovely feedback. It is always difficult when a loved one is being treated so far away from home and I was pleased to see that you were kept informed of your mother's progress. I hope that she is now recovering well at home and will pass your thanks onto D4 ward staff.

Anonymous gave University Hospital Southampton NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 4 stars

Amu

On the acute assessment unit pink area think the last one! my mother care about was second to none. The nurses were very attentive and were very quick to act. However two of the nurses let themselves down when they were talking about several other people about what they were getting upto on a Night out. Shame on you for talking over my elderly mother of 98. She may not be walk or do much but she can hear and talk she was very distressed by what she heard.

Visited in August 2016. Posted on 15 August 2016

Acting Head of Complaints, University Hospital Southampton NHS Foundation Trust replied on 23 August 2016

Thank you for your positive feedback concerning AMU, I was pleased to read about the high standard of care your mother recieved. I am sorry to hear about the experience your mother had in being talked over by nurisng staff. This is not the standard od behaviour that we expect from any of our staff. I have passed on your comments to the area matron for feedback.