Moorfields Eye Hospital NHS Foundation Trust

020 7253 3411 162 City Road , London, EC1V 2PD

CJ gave Moorfields Eye Hospital NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 2 stars

Surgery top class, nursing care non existent.

My wife was admitted as an emergency to the private wing virtually without sight. The consultant and surgical team inspired confidence in their ability to prevent further loss of sight. As a patient with obvious visual impairment and very worried about surgery, my wife received no nursing care. No water offered during her stay, marched down for tests and left in a crowded waiting room with no seat and told to find her own way back, post operation meal left on the table when she obviously could not see to find let the plate let alone her own mouth, nurses who never once asked after her well being and spent all their time huddled behind the nurses station glaring stony faced at unchallenged visitors. And this is private! I have seen more genuine care in crowded NHS wards. Is there anyone from the Trust management who is capable of demanding and training a decent standard of patient care? Moorfields, hang your head in shame and then get off your backsides and make it better, After all, you are quick enough to demand payment.

Visited in June 2017. Posted on 05 June 2017

Anonymous gave Moorfields Eye Hospital NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 1 stars

Very disappointed

I had taken my mother to the Ealing unit where parts of the service was good but extremely disappointed by the opthalmic surgeons attitude at the follow up when my mother felt discomfort due to the possibility of lack of Care during her procedure.
This was highlighted at the follow up appointment with the consultant. Not one of those concerns were addressed by the consultant and she chose to ignore them.
I felt patient engagement was very poor and now have considered going private for this reason and the felt proper procedure requirements not followed through, which may have rcontributed in issues my mother had post surgery.
Most disappointing was the lack of engagement and patient empathy especially where it is an elderly patient.
The staff who tested my mothers eyesight post surgery also did not seem to take a more thorough approach and patience when the eye test was done.

Visited in April 2017. Posted on 26 April 2017

Rene gave Moorfields Eye Hospital NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

Cataract surgery

Arrived at Moorfields at 07:30 with my brother who was extremely nervous. He was there for cataract surgery. We were directed to Mackellar ward and seen immediately. We were shown to numbered seats which were ours for the duration of our visit. My brother was seen by a nurse after a short time and admitted to the ward. The whole area was spotless and the staff excellent. A surgeon then saw us and discussed in detail the exact procedure, which put my brother at ease a bit. He was first to go to theatre and was called promptly at 08:30. He came out of theatre at 09:30 and we were told we would have to wait for 2 hours for the eye pad to be removed. My brother was offered a drink and sandwich. Promptly at 11:30 the nurse came to take off the eye pad. All went well and I would like to say I cannot in any way fault the hospital and staff. For my brother this made a very bad experience much easier to cope with. Thank you everybody

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 24 March 2017

Anonymous gave Moorfields Eye Hospital NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 1 stars

Disorganised and inefficient!

Today is my first visit to moorefields hospital and in truth I am disappointment with the level of care. The booking in process for visually impaired visitors was unclear and resulted in multiple people being turned away from the reception desk as the afternoon clerk hadnt arrived, even tho there was a clerk at the desk they were unable to help anyone book in. Eventually the afternoon clerk arrived, again turning patients away one by one who wished to book in while the clerk sorted the notice board out. To my horror the clerk then called everyone back up to book in at the same time. I am lucky enough to have partial sight, but was amongst the chaos of 15 patients with white sticks and guide dog bumping into each other in a small corridor trying to find their way to the correct room following the clerks instruction. There are so many ways this booking in process could be improved which would prevent the visually impaired struggling unnecessarily.

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 03 February 2017

Anonymous gave Moorfields Eye Hospital NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

Quickly seen and very thorough.

We had great care here. I am a healthcare professional myself and was bringing my partner on a Sunday evening to have a small piece of metal removed from his eye, and i was really impressed at the service. Finding information on the website was really easy and allowed us to know we could walk in to A&E here. The building was clean and staff were welcoming and informative. There was a 3 hour wait if we needed to see a Dr, but even though that's very long, at least we knew where we stood and how long potentially we could be there for. We were seen by a nurse and then the object was removed by the nurse so we didn't have to wait that long. The whole process took one hour and we could even collect medication from there with clear instructions of what had happened and what to look out for next. Staff seemed happy and we both walked away saying how good we thought the whole service was. Glad we could go to a specific eye hospital rather than just A&E etc. Thanks and keep up the good service!

Visited in September 2016. Posted on 26 September 2016

Moorfields Eye Hospital NHS Foundation Trust replied on 11 November 2016

Thank you for taking the time to comment and I have passed your post on to the A&E team who I know are encouraged by such positive feedback. Thanks again.

Lolita gave Moorfields Eye Hospital NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

Thank you!

Thank you Morfields A&E at Old Street. Professional people working there!

Visited in April 2016. Posted on 08 May 2016

Moorfields Eye Hospital NHS Foundation Trust has not yet replied.

Carer John gave Moorfields Eye Hospital NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 2 stars

A nightmare trying to book 3 separate clinics

Dealing with the bookings for three separate clinics for the same patient is a nightmare - twice appointments hves been cancelled by Moorfields with a couple of days notice. This is not a "joined up" service at all as there is no "single point of contact". The booking system seems to run by "snail mail" only and only one date is ever offered. For an elderly patient needing transport and escorting - a single date is often impossible to take up. Contact by telephone often means hanging on for 25+ minutes whilst the phone rings and rings. What happened to Choose and Book? Could you move into the 20th century by offering a web based system similar to the GP surgery?

Visited in March 2016. Posted on 30 January 2017

Moorfields Eye Hospital NHS Foundation Trust has not yet replied.

Patricia Evans gave Moorfields Eye Hospital NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

A First Class Experience

Having visited Moorfields Hospital, Old Street four times during the past two months, I feel obliged to describe my experience which has been emphatically positive.

I was initially referred with suspected retinal detachment. Very thorough tests showed that this was not the case, but they did show up problems regarding glaucoma. I was swiftly offered an appointment, the necessary laser operation was arranged and carried out successfully. I was treated at all times with great understanding, courtesy and expertise.

During preparation and follow-up of the treatment, one of the doctors identified a nevus on one eye. This could have been very unnerving news, but it was delivered with such tact and kindness that I was immediately reassured.

The follow up appointments in the Oncology department proved to be just as positive. The consultant and doctor who dealt with me were both wonderful. Most efficient and caring, the latter even staying on late into the evening to ensure that tests were carried out and then that I was seen at his clinic two days later.

At that appointment my experience was again excellent. I wish to say that I have great confidence in the medical staff and could not be in better hands. Moreover, I met with kindness at every step of the way, from nurses, administrative staff and even other staff members encountered along the way, including in the elevator. Thank goodness for the NHS and long may it last!

Visited in February 2016. Posted on 06 February 2016

Anonymous gave Moorfields Eye Hospital NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

World Class

I received a Dacryocystorhinostomy in the Adnexal department. My operation was in January 2016 with a few subsequent visits and also an A and E visit.

I think its really important that people know that I thought my time at Moorfields was absolutely world class. From the speed at which I received my appointments, the communication, the contact, the nurses, doctors, my anaesthetist, Everything!! ran smoothly, went as planned and I am recovering amazingly. The NHS gets a lot of slack, I myself have had some sub par visits to various hospitals in my lifetime, but honestly cant recommend or thank Moorfields enough. Absolutely fantastic service.
Thanks You So Much!

Visited in January 2016. Posted on 10 March 2016

Tess gave Moorfields Eye Hospital NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

12 Years of Excellent Patient Care with curtesy

After 12 PM service The first eight as a private patient in the last 4 NHS I have come to realise how excellent not only the carers but also the courtesy of every member of staff . Not to say that I have not been the odd issues but they have always handled any problems with the situation. Yes I have had cancellations about being reasonable to approach things with commonsense. Thank you to all the receptionists nurses doctors and consultants who are equally simple in their roles .

Visited in July 2015. Posted on 05 June 2017