Royal Devon and Exeter NHS Foundation Trust

01392 411611 Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital, Barrack Road , Exeter, Devon, EX2 5DW

Brian cox. Mr reviewed Royal Devon and Exeter NHS Foundation Trust

Thank you very much for helping make me better

Hello about 22days ago I was took by ambulance car to your a and e my name Brian cox of Sussex. The hospital car went above and beyond their role as a worker. They were so kind understanding and knowledgeable I do not know their name. The hospital seemed to run by commonsence with no visible waste of money to be seen anywhere you are heroes and saints thank you. A midwife from there delivered my son on 27/09/87 and they were fine too

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 25 September 2017

Royal Devon and Exeter NHS Foundation Trust replied on 25 September 2017

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of the Royal Devon & Exeter Hospital. I am delighted to hear that you are so happy with the care you received. I would like to thank you very much for your positive feedback. Kind comments such as yours are always gratefully received.

Paul Taylor gave Royal Devon and Exeter NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

Plastic Surgery unit

On Sunday 23rd July I had the misfortune to find myself in need of emergency medical treatment having gashed my arm and severed a radial artery in a freak accident at work. I was taken by ambulance to A & E at Wonford and in the space of the next four hours was dealt with in a manner which can only be described as exemplary and which I doubt could have been bettered anywhere.

The news stories which circulate around the NHS are invariably negative and against this backcloth it was reassuring and seriously uplifting to see for myself at first hand an organisation which didn’t simply function smoothly but in terms of efficiency and professionalism easily out-performs any I have come across in the private sector.

From beginning to end my experience was nothing less than positive and I was dealt with at every level and by each member of staff Involved in my care with professionalism, courtesy, kindness and consideration. The process of repairing the damage involved a team of people working together with consummate skill and running through it all like a thread in place of the weary cynicism which I expected was a real sense of dedication and purpose.

I can't commend it too highly for its positive ethos and the extraordinary service it provides to a community which should be proud and profoundly grateful to have such a facility at its disposal available to all and free at the point of use.

Visited in July 2017. Posted on 27 July 2017

Royal Devon and Exeter NHS Foundation Trust replied on 28 July 2017

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital. I am delighted to hear that you are so happy with the care you received in our Accident & Emergency Department. I would like to thank you very much for your positive feedback. Kind comments such as yours are always gratefully received.

thewantaeknow gave Royal Devon and Exeter NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

Rheumatologyl

I have been a patient for 35years at this Dept. when it was in the Princess Elizabeth Hospital and now at the RD&E I have never in that time had any cause for complaint in fact I don't know how I would be able to live my life without them, if I need an appointment urgently I can phone my consultants secretery or phone the rheumatology nurse and they will get me seen or give me information which will help If I could give 10stars I would I can't say more.

Visited in July 2017. Posted on 31 August 2017

Royal Devon and Exeter NHS Foundation Trust replied on 04 September 2017

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital. I am delighted to hear that you are so happy with the care you have and continue to receive. Thank you for your positive feedback, kind comments such as yours are always gratefully received.

Clare Thornley gave Royal Devon and Exeter NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

Head injury at Honiton

We were on holiday in Musbury from Ireland and my husband cut his head very badly . We went to Honition hospital and were treated promptly and with great professionalism. I was so relieved as it was Sunday and I was not sure how long we might have to wait. Our only problem was finding the hospital as the satnav took us to a nearby housing estate. We met a very kind lady who said we could follow her to the hospital. Some signs would be a big help especially in a holiday area where not all patients will be locals.

Visited in July 2017. Posted on 06 July 2017

Royal Devon and Exeter NHS Foundation Trust replied on 12 July 2017

Thank you for your feedback and we were pleased to learn of your positive experience once you arrived at the hospital and will pass your kind comments onto our staff. We hope you have continued to recover from your injury.

We were disappointed to learn of the problems you had in locating the hospital and will forward your feedback onto East Devon Council for their information and/or review.

We trust this meets your approval; however should you wish to discuss your experience in any more detail please do not hesitate to contact our Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) on 01392 402093 and we could arrange for one of our senior nurses to contact you.

ManOnion82 reviewed Royal Devon and Exeter NHS Foundation Trust

I have lost faith in what they do

I have been having hip and lower back problems for a while. I am also very fit and active and after almost a year of resting from running and doing more yoga and Pilates the pain in my lower spine was not getting better. I was referred to a physio at Arlington centre and I spent a few weeks with a physio doing very basic exercises.
They didn't help me and at the time I was seeing a personal trainer as I felt I was getting unfit as not able to do my normal exercise of running. The physio told me to carry on seeing the PT as weights will be good for my back, I wasn't sure about this as my back became very tired and sore after my training, still I carried on and just after Xmas the physio said I would need to see them anymore even though I said my back can still spasm at any time.
They said to carry on with exercises and weights and I'll be fine. A couple weeks later my back became so bad I could hardly walk. . I don't even know or understand why. I was in agony. I couldn't exercise, even do the easiest movements in Pilates was too painful. I called physio again and I had to be put at the back of waiting list and had to wait 6 weeks to see another physio.
During this six weeks I paid to see a chiropractor for some relieve. I rested my back completely. When I finally saw the new physio in Poltimore centre they told me to do more basic exercises which I did, and told me to stop sleeping on my stomach, which I did but didn't think it would help because I'm a light sleeper and never stay in one position too long. I did what they said anyway.
Still I am resting my back from exercise. I explained to physio how long I've had this pain and that not long before lower back pain I was getting bad hip pain as well. They told me to carry on with exercises the second time I saw them.
The third time I was due to see them and was ready by now to really have it out with the physio as the treatment I was getting was not helping, the secretary called and said they were off sick and would rearrange another appointment. This was over a month ago now and I have heard nothing, my back pain has got slightly better with rest but my hip pain has come back with a vengeance. I'm struggling to sit or stand for too long,
It's been over 18 monthsbi have suffered with this pain and almost a year since I was first referred by my GP to see a physio, I still can't do anything that means standing, walking or sitting for too long, my life has completely changed in the last 18 months, I can't exercise, I feel latharhic and I'm scared to do anything too active in case my back or hip starts to hurt. I'm only in my thirties!
I need another appointment with the physio but I have lost faith in what they do. I feel like they don't have a clue what is wrong with me and meanwhile I have to put up with all of this discomfort and pain whilst waiting weeks for appointments.

Visited in April 2017. Posted on 07 July 2017 using Care Opinion

Royal Devon and Exeter NHS Foundation Trust replied on 12 July 2017

Thank you for your feedback. We are very sorry to hear of your experience with Physiotherapy and we would welcome the opportunity to discuss this further with you, if you wish. In order for us to fully investigate your concerns and address the issues you have raised, we would be grateful if you could contact out PALS department on 01392 402093 so that they can take some further details from you.

Alan Welch gave Royal Devon and Exeter NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

Excellent

Big thanks to all in Otter ward for their care and attention whilst I was there on 16th December. You are all stars!

Visited in December 2016. Posted on 19 December 2016

Royal Devon and Exeter NHS Foundation Trust replied on 19 December 2016

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital. I am delighted to hear that you are so happy with the care you have received from Otter ward. I would like to thank you very much for your positive feedback. Kind comments such as yours are always gratefully received.

Elizabeth Hammond gave Royal Devon and Exeter NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 3 stars

rhumatology department

Have been a patient at this hospital since 1996. Not a bad word can be said of any department. Now with rheumatology and just how wonderful, kind and considerate has everyone been. Always a smile, nothing too much trouble. What a splendid team.

Visited in December 2016. Posted on 13 January 2017

Royal Devon and Exeter NHS Foundation Trust replied on 23 January 2017

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital. I am delighted to hear that you are so happy with the care you have received. I would like to thank you very much for your positive feedback. Kind comments such as yours are always gratefully received.

Kit Carson gave Royal Devon and Exeter NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 4 stars

appointment with Orthopedic Specialist

I arrived at 1345 on Thursday 26 May for appointment having fallen on a knee which had bee replaced in December 2015. I saw a Consultant, then had an X-ray, went back to the Consultant and finally had a session with a physiotherapist. I left the hospital at 1445 very impressed with speed and efficiency attending my appointment.

Visited in May 2016. Posted on 27 May 2016

Royal Devon and Exeter NHS Foundation Trust replied on 31 May 2016

Anonymous gave Royal Devon and Exeter NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

Very good diabetes team

The diabetes team (adult and paediatric) at RD&E are fantastic, every nurse and member of staff is polite and helpful, lovely bunch.

Visited in April 2016. Posted on 11 June 2016

Royal Devon and Exeter NHS Foundation Trust replied on 14 June 2016

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of the Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital. I am delighted to hear that you are so happy with the care that you have received. I would like to thank you very much for your positive feedback. Kind comments such as yours are always gratefully received. We will ensure that this positive feedback is passed on to the relevant individuals and departments involved.

Jeremy moore gave Royal Devon and Exeter NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 1 stars

Waste of time

Had shoot gun pellets in my legs. After years of trying to get removed just always reason not remove. Went to get one removed witch is deep in my leg causing pain. I said where I think it is after scan I was 1 inch out so was told not removing it. So turned up 7 30 for op for nothing. Just had problems with ed&e for years. If u can use a different hospital u will be better off. just don't care about people.

Visited in April 2016. Posted on 11 April 2016

Royal Devon and Exeter NHS Foundation Trust replied on 11 April 2016

Thank you for taking the time to bring your experience to our attention. Feedback from our patients is invaluable in helping to us to improve our services. We are sorry that they care you received on this occasion did not meet our usual high standards and we regret any distress caused as a result. Please be reassured that it was not the intention of the staff involved to cause you any upset. Nevertheless, we would like to apologise for the impression you received.

I am sorry I cannot provide a more personal reply here. However, we would be happy to do so if you contact our Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) team on 01392 402093.