Royal Liverpool and Broadgreen University Hospitals NHS Trust

0151 706 2000 Royal Liverpool University Hospital, Prescot Street , Liverpool, Merseyside, L7 8XP

Anonymous gave at Royal Liverpool and Broadgreen University Hospitals NHS Trust a rating of 5 stars

First class

My dad had a massive heart attack and from paramedic care and that of the CCU team they saved his life. I can not be more grateful for the exceptional medical support my Dad received, they inserted a stent within 1 hour of his arrival, assessed him and stabilised him. Due to to amazing medical care his is on his way to recovery. Thank you for the exceptional and life saving work you all do, I can't thank you enough. NHS at its best!

Visited in October 2017. Posted on 18 October 2017

Royal Liverpool and Broadgreen University Hospitals NHS Trust has not yet replied.

Chris Walsh gave Royal Liverpool and Broadgreen University Hospitals NHS Trust a rating of 5 stars

Tonsillectomy Operation

Excellent care pathway overall.

From the

1) Anaesthetic physician's assistant, who was excellent: very reassuring, confident, knowledgable and containing of my anxieties; and who gave me a painless and almost enjoyable general anaesthetic!

To the:

2) ENT Consultant who was an excellent communicator and made me feel at ease and excellently taken care-of. The aftercare advice and information regarding follow-up were very clear and I was confident that the operation was being done by someone who wanted there to be quality outcome.

And the:

3) Clinical team of recovery and ward nurses, who were friendly, attentively, kind and caring.

I was very impressed by the efficiently and dedication demonstrated by all.

The ward was spotlessly clean.

Overall, I felt extremely proud of our NHS from the point of view of the patient.

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 03 August 2017

Royal Liverpool and Broadgreen University Hospitals NHS Trust replied on 04 August 2017

Thank you for your kind comments about all our staff involved in your tonsillectomy operation and care. We are pleased that you had a good experience and we will pass on your comments to our staff.

Pagan reviewed at Royal Liverpool and Broadgreen University Hospitals NHS Trust

Ward 11Z

I recently had Osseofix and Augmentation surgery at the Royal and got there at 7 am but the ward 11Z wasn't open so waited downstairs until 7.30 am. Went back upstairs at 7.30 am and was shown the consent form again by my Surgeon and the nurse went through everything with me. They were all really nice.
After my partner and friends had left I was asked to get changed and was then taken down to the operating theatre although it was around 9 am then. The porter pushing the bed was jokey and really funny had a laugh with them.
Inside the theatre, I was told I was going to have a warm blanket put over me and that was really a nice feeling but as the cannula went in it didn't feel right but I was starting to go under so couldn't say anything. My Surgeon decided I needed 5 cages with Augmentation which was why I was in the theatre for about 2 and a half hours and not an hour as first thought but my partner was not told anything so when he rang he was sent on a wild goose chase to see where I was. I was in recovery for around 5 hours and when my partner called (all in all about 6 times) my name wasn't even on the board of Ward 4A as I was still in recovery. As I had been there so long I asked a student nurse for a catheter and they looked confused and asked why? I told the student I wanted a pee why else. "Can't you use a bed pan?" was their reply, "err no I have had spinal surgery how do you expect me to balance on a bed pan on the bed?" They said, "I can bring a commode!" "I said no bring me a catheter unless you want me to projectile pee all over the bed and it is you who will have to clean it up! in the end, the student got someone to come over and fit a catheter and then I got a second grilling and this member of staff wasn't gentle shoving it in either but then the student nurse goes "Oh my god it is oozing everywhere!" and my reply was "Exactly!" When you have been out of it for over 8 hours you need a pee and any pressure on my stomach now will make me pee none stop so to save my dignity what's left of it a catheter is a much better thing to use rather than a bed pan. Soon after I was taken to Ward 4A. I had chicken Tikka for dinner and loved every single morsel hospital food is just 5-star awesomeness to me. The patients in the ward were lovely. One sadly had dementia, one was very quiet, and one was very confused but the other two ladies were great to chat to. Most of the nurses were nice too but they had no idea how to use a PICC Line (as I have weekly chemo so need it) their excuse was always that is nothing to do with us it was put in by Clatterbridge) so I had to endure more needles and a cannula when it could all have been done through my PICC line. At one point it was not dressed properly and very grubby, but sorted out by staff at Clatterbridge. However, they should train nurses to use PICC Lines as it is a lot easier than using needles in the veins. Not a bad stay at the Royal although not perfect and didn't get my Codeine Phosphate back!

Visited in July 2017. Posted on 21 July 2017

Royal Liverpool and Broadgreen University Hospitals NHS Trust replied on 25 July 2017

Thank you for your comments. We are sorry to hear that you didn’t have a good experience with parts of your care after your surgery. If you would like to contact the Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS), they will be able to investigate your concerns properly. You can contact them by phoning 0151 706 4903/4908/4909 or via PALS&complaints@rlbuht.nhs.uk

michelle gave Royal Liverpool and Broadgreen University Hospitals NHS Trust a rating of 1 stars

Broadgreen - rhum

Having called the day before to ask if they could bring my 10.30 appointment forward slightly as i had no one to collect my child from preschool and would be rushed to make it back. The receptionist told me to attend just before 9.30am and they would squeeze me in. I arrived at 8.55 am explained again to receptionist who told me to explain to the nurse which i did. I am still dat here at 10.46 (my appt 10.30) not only have they not fitted me in their running behind and i am now going to have to walk out for an appointment i have waited 6 months for !!!! Certain staff were all very nice understanding it the staff higher up who could do with further training and a bit of compassion.

Visited in July 2017. Posted on 04 July 2017

Royal Liverpool and Broadgreen University Hospitals NHS Trust replied on 07 July 2017

Thank you for your comments. We are sorry to hear that you didn’t have a good experience. We would like to find out more from you so we can investigate your concerns properly. If you would like to contact the Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS), they will be able to help. You can contact them by phoning 0151 706 4903/4908/4909 or via PALS&complaints@rlbuht.nhs.uk

Anonymous gave Royal Liverpool and Broadgreen University Hospitals NHS Trust a rating of 5 stars

Primary care at St Paul's eye unit

This unit offers an absolutely fantastic service.
I arrived at 8.30 and was seen almost immediately by the triage nurse who was patient and thorough. I was then seen 20' later by an extremely knowledgeable and professional staff nurse. The nurse put me at ease, was kind, empathetic and provided helpful advice and compassionate care.
I am very grateful.

Visited in June 2017. Posted on 01 June 2017

Royal Liverpool and Broadgreen University Hospitals NHS Trust replied on 02 June 2017

Thank you for your kind words, they are much appreciated and glad you had a positive experience with us.

Worst telephone service imanginal

Been trying to confirm my appointment after twice going hospital to find dates changed? Been trying to call for over two hours now and still no answer? Hospital itself and their staff are excellent but the cuts involving NHS has seriously affected their phone services ce

Visited in May 2017. Posted on 14 July 2017

Royal Liverpool and Broadgreen University Hospitals NHS Trust replied on 20 July 2017

Thank you for your comments. We are sorry to hear you're having issues contacting the hospital. If you would like to contact the Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS), they will be able to investigate your concerns properly. You can contact them by phoning 0151 706 4903/4908/4909 or via PALS&complaints@rlbuht.nhs.uk

Barry King. gave Royal Liverpool and Broadgreen University Hospitals NHS Trust a rating of 5 stars

A big thank you to everyone who looked after me yesterday.

I was admitted yesterday (Jan 30th) to the daycare unit at Broadgreen for a planned gall bladder removal. From the minute of admission to leaving in the evening I have nothing but the highest praise for every single member of staff I came into contact with. Caring, helpful, professional, friendly and reassuring throughout. If you are having this procedure done, dont be nervous, you'll be well looked after! I almost enjoyed it ;-)))

Visited in January 2017. Posted on 31 January 2017

Royal Liverpool and Broadgreen University Hospitals NHS Trust replied on 02 February 2017

Thank you for your kind comments about our Day Case Unit. We are pleased that you had a good experience and will pass on your comments to our staff.

Paula Saunders gave Royal Liverpool and Broadgreen University Hospitals NHS Trust a rating of 1 stars

Some horrible staff

My friend has been in the Royal for a few weeks now and I've been up to visit him nearly every day. Some of the staff are very nice but some are absolutely vile, so this suggests to me that the training is poor and inconsistent. Most of the foreign nurses are very good but I'm ashamed to say the local nurses are not. They speak to the patients with a complete lack of respect and leave them unattended for long periods with them shouting out for help saying they need the toilet only to be told really aggressively, "Shut up, I've said I'll be with you in a minute, didn't I?" I've reported it to PALS but I doubt they'll do anything. After all, Liverpool invented the Liverpool Care Pathway.

Visited in November 2016. Posted on 22 November 2016

Royal Liverpool and Broadgreen University Hospitals NHS Trust replied on 08 December 2016

Thank you for your comments. We are sorry to hear that you didn’t have a good experience in the Royal. Thank you for contacting the Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) so we are able investigate your concerns properly.

J.P reviewed Royal Liverpool and Broadgreen University Hospitals NHS Trust

Appointments.

I rang the appointments line today 9/11/16 to ask if I could change my appointment to an earlier or later time, on the same day. The attitude of the person who answered the phone was not what I expected, from a person who is the first point of call. I found them to be very abrupt and uncooperative. It makes you feel like you should not have rang or disturbed them. There is a hospital under a different trust not to far away, I think some senior members of the management team should visit, it will give the an insight of how the staff are willing to help with a pleasant manor.

Visited in September 2016. Posted on 09 November 2016

Royal Liverpool and Broadgreen University Hospitals NHS Trust replied on 10 November 2016

Thank you for your comments. We are sorry to hear that you didn’t have a good experience with our Appointment Line. We would like to find out more from you so we can investigate your concerns properly. If you would like to contact the Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS), they will be able to help. You can contact them by phoning 0151 706 4903/4908/4909 or via PALS&complaints@rlbuht.nhs.uk

Anonymous gave Royal Liverpool and Broadgreen University Hospitals NHS Trust a rating of 1 stars

Answering the telephone

I have lost count of the number of times I have tried to contact this department by telephone for appointments. I have a completely legitimate ongoing audiological problem which requires me to visit every three months. I ring at all hours but only ever get an answer phone. Is this a way of rationing the service?
The only way for me to get an appointment seems to be if I go in person. Surely not necessary in this day and age?
I would like a reply please.

Visited in September 2016. Posted on 07 April 2017

Royal Liverpool and Broadgreen University Hospitals NHS Trust replied on 19 April 2017

Thank you for your comments. We are sorry to heard you have had trouble contacting our Audiology Team. Please contact our Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) on 0151 706 4903/4908/4909 or email PALS&complaints@rlbuht.nhs.uk who will be able to investigate your concerns properly. We also have an Appointment Line on 0151 706 5555 (8.30am-8pm) who may be able to help with your appointment.