Surrey and Sussex Healthcare NHS Trust

01737 768511 East Surrey Hospital, Canada Avenue , Redhill, Surrey, RH1 5RH

Anonymous gave Surrey and Sussex Healthcare NHS Trust a rating of 5 stars

Cellulitis

During my recent visit for cellulitis of my foot due to an insect bite, the care I received in A and E and also from all the staff in Leigh ward, was excellent. Everyone including all doctors, nurses, helpers and cleaners were polite, efficient, helpful, great listeners and looked like they enjoyed working at East Surrey hospital. I felt confident that everything was being done to achieve the best possible outcome for myself, and staff were willing to go above and beyond to help. Thank you.

Visited in September 2017. Posted on 12 September 2017

Patient Experience Lead, Patient Experience Team, Surrey and Sussex Healthcare NHS Trust replied on 28 September 2017

Dear Anonymous,
I think this may be a duplicate of a story that my colleague Nicola Shopland replied to. I just wanted to reiterate our appreciation of your comments and how good it is to hear that you felt all our staff, regardless of their role, were working well as one team.
With best wishes,
Cathy White
Patient experience lead

Rebecca R gave Surrey and Sussex Healthcare NHS Trust a rating of 5 stars

Amazing Birthing Unit at East Surrey Hospital

East Surrey Hospitals birthing unit went above and beyond for me and my daughter. My overall experience was perfect in every way. I was treated with such professional and genuine care throughout.
My needs were catered for which made my labour experience memorable and perfect. I had a water birth which was amazing for my partner, daughter and me. A very calming experience thank you to those who made it so special.

Visited in July 2017. Posted on 11 August 2017

Bill Kilvington, Assistant Director for Women and Children's, Surrey and Sussex Healthcare NHS Trust replied on 11 August 2017

Dear Rebecca
Thank you for taking the time to post these lovely comments, I will ensure that the midwifery team see what you have written.
Wishing you and your family the very best for the future.
Bill Kilvington
Associate Director
Women and Child Health

Anel gave Surrey and Sussex Healthcare NHS Trust a rating of 5 stars

Thank you ESH maternity unit!

I had my baby boy delivered by planned cesarian on 29 September 2016. It was an extremely positive experience. All the midwifes were very attentive and caring. Anaesthesiologist was very caring as well and I was explained averyrhing at every single stage. All the people were very friendly and were there when I needed a help. Everything went smoothly and I recovered quick. I cannot say how thankful I am and I'm sorry it took me so long to leave a good review. We are so lucky to have maternity unit at ESH!

Visited in September 2016. Posted on 11 August 2017

Bill Kilvington, Assistant Director for Women and Children's, Surrey and Sussex Healthcare NHS Trust replied on 14 August 2017

Dear Anel,
Thank you for taking the time to post these kind comments. I imagine that having a new family member to care for was your immediate priority once you got home, so we do appreciate that you have taken the time now.
I hope that you and your son are doing well and wish you all the best for the future.
Bill Kilvington
Associate Director - Women and Child Health

Marjie gave Surrey and Sussex Healthcare NHS Trust a rating of 5 stars

emergency eye clinic

I had a twig scratch my eye on Friday and as it was painful I went to emergency eye clinic on Saturday. to get it checked. I was quickly assessed and had a short wait before being seen in the eye clinic. I was checked and I had a scratch on my eye. I was given cream to ease my eye and instructions on how to heal it. I was treated with kindness and efficiency and felt the service could not be faulted.

Visited in May 2016. Posted on 12 May 2016

Lynda Filby, Matron, Surrey and Sussex Healthcare NHS Trust replied on 16 May 2016

Dear Marjie,
Many thanks for your kind feedback regarding the emergency eye clinic. We hope you continue to make a good recovery.
With kind regards
Lynda Filby
Matron

Janine gave Surrey and Sussex Healthcare NHS Trust a rating of 5 stars

Emergency dental treatment

I have just received fantastic dental treatment. Having been in pain for days I don't know staff names however from receptionist to dentist it was a first class service running exactly on time. I was in and out within minutes and the dentist was so good with me, even though I was being pathetic. I feel so much better, and really hope my thank you reaches the department. I also felt it was for a minimal fee, I am very impressed

Visited in January 2016. Posted on 01 January 2016

Surrey and Sussex Healthcare NHS Trust has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Surrey and Sussex Healthcare NHS Trust a rating of 1 stars

The Registrar was so rude it seems funny looking back on it.

I have never written a negative review before but i have to this time due to how unprofessional and rude the Surgeon I met was.

I had been referred to the fracture clinic following a previous doubt over an x-ray had been raised and my very caring and conscientious GP wanted to check on it. The ESH registrar, met me in the room, never looked at me or examined me but just read out loud the previous x-ray report (the one in question) and then began to hound me, repeatedly asking questions why i had reason to doubt it (i didn't, a physiotherapist did).

I am not a child or vulnerable little Granny but a 6'1, 14 stone, 37 year old so i wasn't intimidated but rather disgusted at how this individual would talk to a human being who just wants to avoid going sick from work. Please also know, I am not some demanding snob who expects respect from a highly qualified surgeon, i never had a chance to speak but just took their abuse before thanking them for their time and leaving.

I have given a star as i was seen so quickly by the hospital. My GP prioritised this as urgent and the hospital obviously honoured that request.

Needless to say i will get treated elsewhere and my leg will recover but i am disgusted by the contempt shown to me by this person. First time in life i have been treated so rudely.

Unfortunately I have been treated for injuries before but fortunately I have received nothing but the finest of exceptional care elsewhere.

Visited in December 2015. Posted on 04 December 2015

Surrey and Sussex Healthcare NHS Trust has not yet replied.

Anonymous recommended Surrey and Sussex Healthcare NHS Trust

Ante natal

I have had a very disappointing experience at this hospital. I'm prepared to overlook the fact it is old and needs updating
however the staff need a serious look at how they speak and treat their patients. I experienced a rushed ante natal appointment despite being high risk with a harsh midwife who at one point left an abrupt and dismissive voicemail on my phone when I called with a simple question. The staff think nothing of speaking ill of their colleagues in front of patients. The ante natal reception itself is disorganised and thoughtless in its responses before understanding the context of the situation. Vital patient information does not appear to be passed on within departments and seeking a simple repeat prescription from one of the consultants proved so difficult they were unable to provide it. The receptionist was happy to say goodbye to me in the knowledge I had no medication for high blood pressure. A disgrace.

Visited in November 2015. Posted on 10 December 2015

Surrey and Sussex Healthcare NHS Trust replied on 15 December 2015

I’m sorry that you are unhappy about your experience at the antenatal clinic at Horsham Hospital.

Please note that your comment has appeared on the Sussex Community NHS Trust section of NHS Choices website, but the antenatal clinic is run by a different NHS organisation - Surrey & Sussex Healthcare NHS Trust, whose main base is at East Surrey Hospital at Redhill.

You can see more about their antenatal service on their website here: http://www.surreyandsussex.nhs.uk/our-services/a-z-of-services/maternity-services/consultant-led-antenatal-clinics/

You might want to contact them directly to raise your concerns via their patient advice & liaison service, as below:

Telephone: 01737 231958
Email:pals@sash.nhs.uk
Write to: PALS at East Surrey Hospital, Canada Avenue, Redhill, Surrey, RH1 5RH

I’ve asked NHS Choices in the past to review the way the system works to try to ensure that comments such as this are directed to the correct NHS organisation, and I’ll ask them again to do this.