Central Manchester University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust

0161 276 1234 Trust Headquarters, Cobbett House, Manchester Royal Infirmary, Oxford Road , Manchester, M13 9WL

Anonymous gave Central Manchester University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

Ward 12 Trafford Park - outstanding !

My wife had surgery yesterday on her knee as a day patient on ward 12 at Trafford Park
Every aspect of her care was outstanding !
Ward was spotless
Staff were genuinely caring and considerate to a very nervous patient - nothing was too much trouble
The NHS staff should be applauded for working so hard despite derisory pay rises and constant bureaucratic changes

Visited in September 2017. Posted on 06 September 2017

Central Manchester University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust replied on 07 September 2017

Thank you for your comments posted on the NHS Choices website regarding the care and treatment your wife received whilst she was on Ward 12. It was reassuring to hear that your wife received outstanding treatment and you felt that staff were genuinely caring and considerate. We were pleased to note that it eased your wife's anxiety about her procedure. It was very kind of you to write and compliment the staff as it is good to receive positive feedback which reflects the behaviour and attention shown by our staff. I can assure you that we have passed your thoughts to the Ward 12 manager so that this can be shared with the staff involved in your wife's care.

Anonymous reviewed Central Manchester University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust

Altrincham Audiology / ENT Dept leave a lot to be desired

Apparently I am not allowed to tell you the name of the one doctor I saw who was not only kind, polite and helpful to me, but also gave me the only useful advice I have received thusfar. I would be happy to see this doctor any time. However, the other 3 doctors I've seen are less impressive. The first one was as miserable as sin and barely said a word; looked and sounded like they would much rather be off doing something else than helping me. The second one, whilst admittedly very kind and attentive and in good humour, was actually of no help whatsoever and gave me a lot of information / advice which ultimately proved to be both completely wrong and of no help whatsoever. But I am here really because of the experience I had only yesterday with the 4th doctor. I was not altogether best pleased about being kept waiting over 40 minutes in the roasting hot room where literally dozens of people are pushing and shoving for elbow room whilst waiting to be called for blood tests (for the 2nd time). And I was pleased even less, after informing the receptionist (as I was requested to do by several signs on the walls of the room) that I had been waiting longer than I should, when I was palmed off on another doctor I had not seen or heard of before who clearly was annoyed that my case had been suddenly thrust on them because the lovely doctor I had gotten used to seeing was busy with another patient. Frankly, the first thing I wanted to hear was "Sorry to have kept you waiting". I didn't get that. What I did get was about three minutes of this doctor being rude and abrasive and condescending and not letting me complete a single sentence, which made me rather annoyed. I must add that I was already a little annoyed as I had wanted to ask the doctor I was expecting to see a few important questions he would know the answers to and be able to deal with quickly and pleasantly. This doctor didn't seem to know anything much about my case and didn't want to know. They just wanted me gone as soon as possible so they could catch up with a backlog of cases and meet their targets - or at least that's the impression I received. I am being referred on to Trafford General, to eventually have a "minor op", but I have to have 2 more appointments there before that. I have already been there for two MRI scans, the last one very long and involving a cannula. Now I have to have an ultrasound scan and a biopsy as well. This has been dragging on for months. This will make a total of nine visits to two different hospitals, on top of the three visits I had with my GP before they would refer me. Seems like an awful lot of wasted time for both me and the NHS for such a "minor" problem. Yesterday, a nurse had to chase me down the corridor after the doctor had dismissed me to give me the only important information I received regarding what's to come. The doctor wasn't going to bother telling me. I get that a lot. Not impressed at all. But bravo Dr X ! - And the nurses etc are lovely too!

Visited in September 2017. Posted on 16 September 2017

Patient Experience Team, Central Manchester University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust replied on 04 October 2017

The management team for ENT at Manchester Royal Infirmary and Trafford General Hospital would like to apologise for your unsatisfactory experience. We will feed this back to the clinical teams and ensure that all of our patients are met with respect and courtesy and that they receive a professional and timely service, we apologise that this was not your experience. In relation to your scans, it is important that our clinicians have as much clinical information as possible to make a judgement of whether surgery is required, but also the best surgical technique should surgery be the avenue taken to treat you.
After consideration of this response you may wish to provide more detail which will allow us carry out a full investigation and look into the specifics of your case. If you would like to do this then please do not hesitate to contact our Patient Advice and Liaison Service on 0161 276 8686 or by e-mailing pals@cmft.nhs.uk quoting reference number PO17/0169 and they would be happy to discuss this with you.

Harry Blackburn gave Central Manchester University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

Chalazion Removal Day Case surgery Thursday 28.09.17

Excellent care & service

I was met by friendly, professional caring staff. From the reception staff to the Nurses & Doctors. My experience was outstanding. All procedures were explained very professionally before I was taken into surgery and medication was ready for me on discharge.
Please thank all staff on Day Case unit for all their care and professionalism

Visited in September 2017. Posted on 01 October 2017

Patient Experience Team, Central Manchester University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust replied on 05 October 2017

Thank you for taking the time to post you kind comment on the NHS Choices website. We were very pleased to know that you had a positive experience at the Manchester Royal Eye Hospital. We were pleased to read that you felt you received an excellent standard of care and service and that you found our staff to be professional and friendly. It is always good to receive feedback which highlights the hard work of our staff. It was especially good to read that you were kept well informed and that everything was explained professionally to you, and we were happy to know that you were discharged in a timely manner. We will ensure that your feedback is passed on to the Matron so that it can be shared with the wider teams involved in your care.

Anonymous gave at Central Manchester University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

Excellent

My son was tranferred from another hospital for an emergency ct scan and later admitter to ward 78 then moved to ward 77 the following day. During his 6 night stay all the staff were fab. Nothing was too much trouble. Very clean ward. Bit of mixed messages between 2 doctors which meant my son got a little bit deflated as he had to stay on bed rest for another day or two but he was soon cheered up by a member of staff from the play room with jigsaws, a playstation, games and tickets for a Man united legends game last weekend where he met an ex player. Overall a very pleasent stay, Thank you to all the staff

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 08 September 2017

Central Manchester University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust replied on 18 September 2017

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback on your son’s recent visit to Royal Manchester Children’s Hospital. It was pleasing to hear your positive experience regarding your son’s stay on Wards 78 and 77 which reflects the commitment of our staff.

The Royal Manchester Children’s Hospital

CS gave Central Manchester University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

Fantastic treatment

My mum had a very complicated surgery on her entire aorta today. The operation took 10 hours. The surgeon , inspite of having done this incredibly long and exhausting procedure came up along with the anaesthetist and went through everything in detail with us.
The care given to her today is outstanding
In addition the staff and team also looked after us , kept us updated, and were genuinely caring and empathetic.
This traumatic time for us could not have been dealt with in a better or more professional way.
CMFT should be proud of its services and staff.

Visited in July 2017. Posted on 12 July 2017

Central Manchester University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust replied on 13 July 2017

Thank you for taking the time to share your kind feedback via the NHS Choices website. We were pleased to read that our staff were able to keep you well informed during this difficult time. We appreciate that this must have been a very anxious time for you and we are very pleased that you felt your mother received a high standard of care and treatment. It is also very good to know that our staff were able to be empathetic and support and care for you and your family during your wait. It is always good to receive feedback which highlights the dedication and compassion of our staff. We hope that your mother recovers well from her surgery and we will ensure that your feedback is passed on to the Clinical Effectiveness Manager of Surgery so that it can be shared with the team involved in your mothers care.

Ward 12 and endoscopy

Had several visits to endoscopy and always met by friendly , professional staff. This time I required a couple of days admission to ward 12. Fabulous staff all round, clean and tidy,good choice of meals. Both departments extremely professional the staff are a credit to the hospital

Visited in June 2017. Posted on 17 June 2017

Central Manchester University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust replied on 27 June 2017

Thank you for taking the time to post your kind comment on the NHS Choices website.We were pleased to read that you had a positive experience within our departments at Manchester Royal Infirmary. We were especially pleased to read that you found our staff to be friendly and professional and that you found our facilities clean and tidy. It is always good to receive feedback which highlights the hard work of our staff. We will ensure that your feedback is passed on to the teams involved in your care and treatment.

The Patient Experience Team.

Anonymous gave Central Manchester University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 4 stars

Altrincham outpatients

I visited outpatients on Tuesday 30th may at 15.20. Everyone was lovely and professional, 1 nurse even came round the waiting room and told each off us how long our delay was and where we were in the queue for the doctors we were seeing.
I was amazed when I had seen the consultant and was on my way home for 4pm.
The only one thing that let the whole team down was a member of staff was slouched against the wall. Other than that well done team.

Visited in May 2017. Posted on 03 June 2017

Central Manchester University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust replied on 21 June 2017

Thank you for your comments posted on the NHS Choices website regarding your care in Outpatients at Altrincham Hospital. It was very kind of you to write and compliment the staff as it is good to receive positive feedback which reflects the hard work and dedication of our staff.

It was reassuring to hear that you found the staff to be professional and helpful. I can assure you that we have passed on your kind words to the team involved in looking after you and your thoughts are very much appreciated.

We are sorry that the member of staff seen slouching against the wall gave a bad impression and this will be discussed with the entire team, reminding them of importance of their professional behaviours.

The Patient Experience Team

Ganesh gave Central Manchester University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

I attended the A&E Department at the infirmary on Thursday 6th April 2017 after having fallen down and suffered a dee cut on my forehead. I reached there just softer 6 PM. The Dept was very busy but I was seen by the triage nurse within 10 minutes of arrival. The triage nurse informed me that there was a 2 hr wait to see the doctor. Very kindly provided a packet of sandwiches each for me and my friend as we were feeling hungry.
I was seen by the doctor at 9 PM. The doctor was very friendly, kind and caring. The doctor was meticulous in their examination and in suturing my wound.
I cannot praise too highly all the staff for their care and attention. Please convey my heartfelt thanks to the staff particularly to the doctor. You all held up the best traditions of our NHS

Dr S Ganesh. ( retired GP)
Merthyr Tydfil. South Wales

Visited in April 2017. Posted on 11 April 2017

Central Manchester University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust replied on 18 April 2017

Thank you for your positive feedback about your experience at the Manchester Royal Infirmary via the NHS Choices website. We were very pleased to read that you were seen in a timely manner and that you found our staff to be kind and caring. It is always good to receive feedback which highlights the hard work and dedication of our staff. We aim to provide a high standard of care and treatment to all of our patients, and we were pleased that we achieved this during your visit. We will ensure that your feedback is passed on to the Operational Manager of the Accident and Emergency Department so that it can be shared with the wider team.

Aaaaaagh reviewed Central Manchester University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust

Blood test waiting time

I have attended Altrincham Hospital twice in the past week to try and have a blood test and on both occasions given up when I realised the waiting time was going to be an hour and three quarters. The first time I took a ticket numbered 36. The board indicated number 5. I waited for 45 minutes and no one came in or went out during that time. Eventually I gave up, as I did this morning. At the old path lab you never had to wait this long. I struggle to know how this can be thought of as an efficient or improved system, even if the surroundings of the new hospital are more pleasant. It seems that there are the same number or fewer phlebotomists serving a much greater number of people and no one is happy. I'd like to ask if anything is going to be done to improve the service.

Visited in April 2017. Posted on 28 April 2017 using Care Opinion

Central Manchester University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust replied on 16 May 2017

Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry to learn that your experience was not as positive as we would hope on your visit to Altrincham Hospital phlebotomy department. It is important to us that comments are heard and seen as an opportunity provided to the service to make changes and improvements wherever possible.

In response to your comment, I can tell you that the management team at Trafford Hospitals are currently working with Trafford Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG) in regards to introducing an appointment system at Altrincham Hospital for phlebotomy services. This will allow effective management of demand upon the service and reduce the time patients wait to be seen. The Deputy Directorate Manager for Medicine at Trafford Hospital explains that the number of patients attending the phlebotomy departments at both Altrincham and Trafford hospitals has increased and a further two phlebotomists have been recruited to support the extra demand. We hope that our explanation offers you some reassurance that the steps we are taking will improve services at Altrincham and ensure that patients attending for blood tests are not inconvenienced.

It is difficult to respond to all the posts in a full do to a lack of detailed information, therefore if you would like to discuss this with us in more detail, please feel free to contact our Patient Advice and Liaison Service on 0161 276 8686 or by e-mailing pals@cmft.nhs.uk

The Patient Experience Team.

mary hughes gave Central Manchester University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

Smoking on NHS premises

I attended Altrincham General Hospital this morning for a blood test, cannot fault the staff and procedure. However, when I left I found a group of people smoking outside the main doors to the hospital, I was tempted to voice my anger to them but walked on. The steps where full of cigarette ends, the image has stayed with me the rest of the day and feel now that I need to say how awful and disrespectful it looked.
I have attended the Eye hospital at MRI many times recently, notices are in place outside the hospitals reminding public and staff that smoking is not allowed on hospital premises and it is respected.
Please, can something be done about this ?

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 03 March 2017

Central Manchester University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust replied on 10 March 2017

Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry to learn of your resent experience when visiting our Altrincham General Hospital. It is important to us that comments are heard and seen as an opportunity provided to the service to make changes and improvements wherever possible.

When the new hospital was built, ‘No Smoking’ signs were provided and placed in relevant areas of the hospital at which people congregate to smoke. Unfortunately the area you have described is public right of way and we are having great difficulty in moving people on from this area and asking them to refrain from smoking in this location.

Our security team do, on a regular basis, ask people to move on and to not smoke there. Our staff who take great pride in their hospital and try and keep this area clean and will sweep the outside in the morning and afternoon and also ask people to not smoke in that area.

We are extremely sorry that your experience at Altrincham was affected by what you saw however I have instructed the security team to continue to monitor this area and to go out more frequently and ask anyone smoking to move on. I have also asked my domestic team to increase the frequency of cleaning for the external entrance area and I have issued further ‘No Smoking’ signs to be placed externally.