Oxford University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust

0300 304 7777 John Radcliffe Hospital, Headley Way, Headington , Oxford, Oxfordshire, OX3 9DU

Anonymous gave Oxford University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 1 stars

Lack of Staff

I attended an appointment at the John Radcliffe Eye Hospital today following a long drive from home to find that my appointment had been cancelled due to lack of staff. This is not the first time this has happened in the past year and is very frightening when you are aware of significant recent changes in your vision caused by persistent bleeding of a 'rogue' vessel on the retina. I have been given a further appointment in three weeks, but expect a similar outcome or may be treated to a further 6 hours sitting in the waiting room which was my first experience of this hospital in February 2016. I telephoned yesterday to check the clinic was running but was unable to get a reply.

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 02 August 2017

Oxford University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Oxford University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 3 stars

Fantastic care, overworked and demoralised staff.

My husband and Mother were both inpatients at the John radcliffe site in January. My mother had a devastating stroke and I cannot fault the care she had from the Paramedics (the 999 call centre is another issue!) to the A&E staff and stroke team to the ward staff. All treated me and my mother with dignity and respect. BUT... the staff were rushed off their feet in every department and didn't have enough time to talk to patients or spend any time with them as they were so busy carrying out the essential needs of patients and completing paperwork that they really didn't have time to sit by a patient's bedside and talk to them and really find out what they were feeling, reassuring them or just comforting and 'nursing' them in the old fashioned sense. My mother couldn't speak, but at no time did a nurse have time to practice here speech with her, this was left to the visits from the SALT. It is essential to have frequent small practices of speaking with every interaction, but there just wasn't time for this. This is by no means a criticism of the fantastic care given to my mum and the dedication and caring of the staff, it is just that there aren't enough staff to allow for the niceties to happen which make all the difference.
My husband recently had emergency heart surgery and I also cannot fault his care, but again, staff were on minimum numbers and rushed off their feet, barely having time to explain medicines or explaining what had happened in detail and what to expect until it happened and then just saying ' oh that is normal, don't worry' which is fine after the fact, but it would have saved a lot of anxiety to have an idea of what to expect post op.
Minimum safe staffing levels are all very well, but do not give good care and demoralise staff. Staff are under appreciated by management, their peers and themselves. Raise the bar and give your staff a treat to show your appreciation of them, patients can only do so much, when you are on your knees every day working your socks off for no thanks from management. 5 stars for treatment, 1 star for the way you treat your staff. (hence 3 stars).

Visited in July 2017. Posted on 10 July 2017

Oxford University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust has not yet replied.

Fantastic care, overworked and demoralised staff.

Visited in July 2017. Posted on 10 July 2017

Oxford University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust has not yet replied.

Leo Pitt gave at Oxford University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

Gratitude following a Superventricular tachycardia ablation

Yesterday I underwent a superventricular tachycardia ablation at the JR. I would just like to express my gratitude to all the staff involved in the Angiography Suite, for outstanding professionalism and kindness. I had tried not to worry too much in advance, but any fears I may have had were soon allayed by the friendly welcome I received. Everyone was obviously working hard all day but none of the staff were too busy to respond with courtesy and care. The procedure itself seemed to be over in a flash, and now I am home I find it hard to believe something so complex actually happened to me, all I have is a slightly sore groin and maybe I am a bit forgetful from the sedation....but then what's new!....THANKYOU to everyone in the Suite, especially my lovely nurse. Leo Pitt

Visited in January 2017. Posted on 28 January 2017

Lucas gave Oxford University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

Endoscopy

I had an Endoscopy here a few weeks ago. Having an endoscopy is deeply unpleasant experience, but the staff did everything they could to mitigate that. Professional, caring, respectful. I couldn't hope for better. But sincerely hope it never has to happen again!

Visited in November 2016. Posted on 12 December 2016

Oxford University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave at Oxford University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 1 stars

A mess

After finally getting to see a consultant on the 7th October 2016 after a failed operation in November 2015 I have finally been put on the list for a hysterectomy being told a 12 week wait for the op, today after my 4th time of trying to find out why I haven't heard anything I'm told I may have to wait up to 9 months for this operation!! A dog would get better treatment

Visited in October 2016. Posted on 27 January 2017

Oxford University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust replied on 23 February 2017

Thank you for your comments regarding the delay you are experiencing in waiting for your surgery. I am very sorry to learn of this delay. We would be very happy to investigate the issues you have raised and provide you with a response. If you would like us to do this, please do not hesitate to contact the Complaints Department, on 01865 221728 or email, complaints@ouh.nhs.uk, and one of the team would be happy to discuss the complaint process with you.

Julie C gave at Oxford University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

A big thank you for all your care

Having recently spent some time on the gynae ward, I'd like to reassure anyone else visiting, that I found everyone working on the ward to be extremely dedicated, hardworking, caring and kind. I was given a warm welcome and looked after so well throughout my stay. Despite me having a fever and feeling a bit fretful after my op, the nurses were able to reach me and soothe me. I felt one nurse in particular went out of their way to make me better - like it was a mission - and for that, I really thank them. I'm so grateful to my consultant and anaesthetist, theatre staff, doctors and nurses and everyone else who helped me. You are all such a credit to the NHS.

Visited in October 2016. Posted on 23 November 2016