Airedale NHS Foundation Trust

01535 652511 Airedale General Hospital, Skipton Road, Steeton , Keighley, West Yorkshire, BD20 6TD

Loretta Gooch gave Airedale NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

Excellent experience of first visit to new to me consultant.

Last Monday 2 October 2017 I attended the Rheumatology Clinic for a first consultation, at 9.00 am.
I was not uncommonly anxious, meeting a new consultant, when I didn't know what to expect.
By 10.30 am, I had met the Consultant, who was charming, had the consultation and examination, went for blood tests and xray and was ready to leave! Hardly any waiting time to feed my anxiety!
The Consultant offered me steroid injections for my problem, so I came away with hope that I could soon be free from pain, while waiting for results to confirm their initial diagnosis.
I had an appointment the very next day with my GP and was amazed to find a copy for me of the letter/report already sent to them! And when I saw the GP again today, they gave me an appointment for the injection clinic in just a few weeks' time! Amazing! What a wonderful NHS hospital Airedale General is!

Visited in October 2017. Posted on 09 October 2017

Airedale NHS Foundation Trust replied on 18 October 2017

Your feedback is greatly appreciated and we are pleased you had a positive experience.

Excellent care from the team on ward 1

I received excellent care on ward 1, they treated me with care, compassion and dignity.
The professionalism was exemplary and there was a complete 'can do attitide'.
Well done to everyone and a big thank you

Visited in October 2017. Posted on 12 October 2017

Airedale NHS Foundation Trust replied on 18 October 2017

Anxious Mum gave Airedale NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

Ward 2 Airedale Hospital - NHS at it's best!

My (adult) daughter was admitted onto Ward 2 (bed 43) and stayed for 36 hours. It was clear on arrival that the ward was full and the staff very busy. From the minute we arrived to the minute we left Jennifer ( with anxious Mum in tow) was treated with unfailing kindness, compassion and unfailing professionalism. Tucked away in a single room ( which was spotless) she could have been easily overlooked but no, her door was knocked upon regularly with staff checking in on her. Given just how busy the ward was I’d anticipated rather a wait to be seen but immediately upon arrival Jenny was seen and attended to by two nurses who were brilliant. Closely followed by a junior doctor and then by a doctor who again was so kind and took the time to explain their diagnosis and care plan, the doctor was very reassuring. We could hear how busy the ward was outside the room but no one gave us the sense of being rushed or under pressure.

This amazing care continued throughout Jenny’s stay on the ward. Every single member of staff from the lovely staff who provided wonderful cups of tea, the ‘dinner staff’ the student nurse who encouraged Jenny to try and drink and provided the first ‘cuppa’ to bribe her. The night staff especially one with their sense of humour and everybody else. What an amazing team! I would also like to mention the doctor who gave us the most detailed but simplified possible explanation of Jenny’s Arrhythmia. I learnt more in the time they spent with us than I have in the preceding 12 years of Jenny’s heart ‘issues’. The doctors compassion when Jenny burst into tears and the reassurances they gave her was medicine at its best.

I could hear through the closed door how members of staff talked to other patients, there seemed to be a couple of elderly patients who were perhaps a little confused. The polite, respectful and gently humorous tones they used to coax the ‘wanderers’ back to bed was heart-warming.

People seem all to ready to knock the NHS and I know in these days of budget cuts it is hard to provide the service we’d all like to receive. However Ward 2 was indeed the NHS at its best.

Visited in September 2017. Posted on 29 September 2017

Airedale NHS Foundation Trust replied on 02 October 2017

We were delighted to hear that your daughter had such a positive experience during her time spent in ward 2 at Airedale hospital. It is so lovely to hear our staff being described in such positive terms, wonderful, “with humour”, respectful, compassion, reassuring etc. We would like to thank you for sharing your experience and we will ensure that the staff in ward 2 are made aware of your appreciation. We wish your daughter well in her continued recovery.

Linda Gornall gave Airedale NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

Excellent treatment at Airedale Radiology, spinal injections

I attended Airedale for spinal injections on 18th July and arrived in an extremely nervous state to say the least, having previously requested sedation which was understandably not possible.
I was treated impeccably by the radiologist team I encountered that morning, I was put at ease immediately, everything was explained to me properly and whilst not a pleasant procedure I endured it well due to the care which I was given. The nurse along with the Dr themself were absolutely brilliant.
I returned on 15th August and again had the same positive experience. I was again treated with dignity and care and both the nurse and again the same Dr gave me confidence, reassurance and explained everything with care. There were no worrying short cuts despite it being my second visit for the same procedure.
On this occasion the procedure was slightly trickier but I was kept informed and the ultimate professional Dr regularly checked that I was alright, whilst explaining everything that they were doing so that I knew why it was taking longer and did not panic.
What a credit to the NHS these individuals are and they are obviously not only hard working and dedicated but genuinely care about their patients.
Furthermore not just their patients’ health but their comfort, which makes all of the difference to the patient experience. This surpassed my expectations especially when I know that the NHs is under so many pressures currently.
In terms of the procedure I have found the first injection already invaluable as I have enjoyed a month of having some of my life back in terms of mobility and my positive mental attitude. I have now recovered from the second injection and also starting to enjoy the improvement.
This is allowing me time to consider and feel that it’s the correct step prior to rushing into major and expensive surgery which is not without risks.
Although the positive immediate benefits may wear off they are also very clever as they are also diagnostic and if I do have surgery going forward then the surgeon will know more about what is causing my issue as a result of my having these.
I would like to commend the Dr I saw and their team who are a great credit to Airedale hospital.

Visited in July 2017. Posted on 05 September 2017

Airedale NHS Foundation Trust replied on 13 September 2017

We were delighted to hear that you had such a positive experience during your time spent in the radiology department at Airedale hospital. It is so lovely to hear our staff described as dedicated and genuinely caring about their patients, and so pleasing that you found everything to be well explained and carried out to such a high standard. We would like to thank you for sharing your experience and we will ensure that the staff are made aware of your appreciation.

Excellent A&E service

We wanted to write to the Clinical Director of Accident and Emergency services, and the hospital in general, to record our thanks following an excellent experience in A&E on Sunday 18th June.

Following an accident in the garden, my wife attended A&E shortly after 8.30am on 18th June. She was greeted warmly by the receptionist and, within a short time, was called through by a doctor. The doctor was friendly and listened to our account of the problem. The doctor arranged xrays of knee and foot and led us round to the emergency department's xray unit.

The radiographer was pleasant and efficient and we were quickly on our way back through where the doctor was waiting to tell us the outcome.

After taking an orthopaedic opinion on the telephone, the doctor fitted the necessary 'Rooney boot' and came to reception with us to ensure a fracture clinic appointment was made. As it wasn't possible to make one on the required day one week later, we were told that someone would ring us after the weekend. This call duly came through and an appointment was arranged for the next day.

We had been in and out of A&E in an hour, with the best of service from everyone. Having worked in the NHS for 60 years between us, we know that such speedy service isn't always possible but the care and treatment which was demonstrated on Sunday was exemplary and deserving of our spending some time to tell you about it.

As it may assist with appraisal, we would be grateful if you could forward this note to the doctor's Clinical Director in A&E.

Many thanks.

Visited in June 2017. Posted on 26 June 2017

Airedale NHS Foundation Trust replied on 04 July 2017

Many thanks for sharing your positive experience. We are very pleased that you all felt so supported and that you received good care and treatment. Your comments have been shared with the Emergency Department team.

Isobel reviewed Airedale NHS Foundation Trust

perscription

When to pick a friend up from ward 13 13/04/17
She had to wait four and a half hours for her prescription to come from the pharmacy.
Surely something can be done in technology age .
The staff were lovely my friend was treated excellently
(Practically perfect)
Apart from the obvious have having to pay the parking fee.

Visited in April 2017. Posted on 14 April 2017

Airedale NHS Foundation Trust replied on 27 April 2017

We are pleased to hear that your friend had a positive experience at our hospital. Sadly you do raise a concern regarding the time you spent waiting for your friend’s prescription, we would like to have the opportunity to discuss this with you in greater detail. We would encourage you to contact our Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) on 01535 294019.
We are sorry that you feel that the Trust’s parking charges were very high. The car park prices increased on the 18 April 2017, before that we had not increased our prices since 2007. We needed to change the prices to bring them in line with other Trusts across West Yorkshire and we had held them at the same rate for a considerable time. We believe that the new configuration makes it much easier for patients to park, as the public and staff parking areas are completely segregated. Any money raised from car parking is reinvested into the infrastructure and patient care.

cath wilson gave Airedale NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

A+E attendance

I attended the above Department yesterday evening (Sunday 12 Feb 2017) with an eye emergency. From reception through to nursing team and consultant the care was exemplary, with very efficient and timely treatment. Waiting time was minimal.
Everyone was lovely.
Thankyou very much.

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 13 February 2017

Airedale NHS Foundation Trust replied on 13 February 2017

Many thanks for sharing your positive experience. We are very pleased that you felt so supported and that you received good care and treatment. Your comments have been shared with the Emergency Department team.

Endoscopy Dept

A modern well equipped department staffed by friendly competent people. Most patients who attend will naturally be apprehensive at the prospect of an invasive investigation. However I was sent a detailed explanation of the procedure beforehand & this was repeated more than once on the day. The staff obviously appreciated that what was relatively routine for them was anything but for me. As a result they were at pains to help me relax as far as possible. The concluding explanation of my results by the consultant was clear & pitched at a level I could understand. Many thanks to all concerned

Visited in December 2016. Posted on 06 December 2016

Airedale NHS Foundation Trust replied on 12 December 2016

We are so pleased that your anxieties regarding your procedure in the Endoscopy Department were reduced through the provision of the information leaflet prior to admission. Also it is lovely to hear the staff were able to support you and keep you fully informed throughout. Thank you for sharing your experience and we will ensure that the staff are made aware of your appreciation.

Anonymous reviewed Airedale NHS Foundation Trust

Ward 5

We would like to advise that our experience on this ward was amazing my mum had end of care life in place and was nursed in a side room. The staff in particular the sister was amazing also the doctor involved visited every morning to both myself and my sister and understood that it was difficult for us both and spent time discussing our mums condition with us . The communication between the ward and us was second to none, mum was treated like a princess and the care she received was excellent, unfortunately and very upsetting for us all mum passed away, but I have no hesitation she passed away with dignity and excellent care from ward 5 and would like to thank them for this.

Visited in November 2016. Posted on 26 November 2016

Airedale NHS Foundation Trust replied on 01 December 2016

Please accept our sincere condolences for the recent loss of your mother. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. It is lovely to hear that our staff were able to ensure that your mother was treated with dignity and excellent care throughout this sad time, while also providing support for the family.

simon gave Airedale NHS Foundation Trust a rating of 5 stars

Positives and negatives

I was admitted to Airedale through a&e as I was passing blood - I had bleeding ulcers. The care I received was amazing from the minute I entered the hospital on both wards 2&6 was incredible considering the number of staff that were working (very few!). I was then taken to endoscopy where I was talked into a numbing spray over sedation which put me through several minutes of pain. Endoscopy then gave me an out of date iv course which ward 2 continued for almost 12 hrs. As soon as I was moved to ward 6 they noticed this and got security to open endoscopy, found a doctor to sign out the correct drugs and got me back in shape. I cannot recommend endoscopy to anyone at this hospital however the nurse care on both wards is, in my opinion, far superior to anything I have received either in the public or private sector.

Visited in November 2016. Posted on 28 November 2016

Airedale NHS Foundation Trust replied on 01 December 2016

We are pleased to hear that overall you had a positive experience during your stay at our hospital. Sadly you do raise some concerns regarding your care in Endoscopy and we would like to have the opportunity to discuss these with you in greater detail. We would encourage you to contact our Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) on 01535 294019.