Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus

0115 969 1169 Nottingham City Hospital, Hucknall Road , Nottingham, Nottinghamshire, NG5 1PB

Anonymous gave Pain Management at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus a rating of 1 stars

Disgraceful

My partner has been waiting since April for nerveblock injections,a year since the last one,he is in extreme pain,so we were relieved that finally when the nurse rang from the pain clinic it would be good news.It was, we had a appointment for today at 8.30 am Sat Oct 14th.As it is Saturday we just assumed they were catching up,he even commented on tge date and their reply was "thats the nhs for you" we were delighted.Then we had another call last week the time had been changed to 9.30 ,not a problem and a letter would be sent,no letter has arrived and we have just sat outside the clinic from 8.35 to 9.40 the place is in darkness,what the hell is going on? I.ve walked around trying to find someone to ask for help the place is locked up.Shame on you for letting my partner down,I am so angry and upset that you have treated us so very badly and wonder what your excuse will be????????Can you imagine how it has felt to turn up respectfully early to find you so disrespectfully closed?

Visited in October 2017. Posted on 14 October 2017

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus replied on 16 October 2017

Your comments are noted. Thank you for getting in touch to share them. I am sorry to hear that the department was closed when you attended for your appointment. You can get in touch me with via 0115 924 9924 ext. 66623 or QMCPET@nuh.nhs.uk.

Best wishes,

Ashley Rolfe, Patient Experience Officer.

John Cobley gave Cardiology at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus a rating of 5 stars

Coronary Care

Having been transferred from QMC after a heart attack I was welcomed on Morris Ward by a Team who were not only caring but extremely efficient & Professional. The procedures were carried out most effectively where I was fully consulted throughout & was provided with all the support & medication necessary. My wife & I cannot thank the Cardiac team enough outstanding actions & care throughout.

Visited in October 2017. Posted on 19 October 2017

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus replied on 20 October 2017

It’s good for us to end the week on a high – what superb feedback. Thank you John. I’ve shared your feedback with the team on Morris Ward.

Best wishes to you and your wife. Have a lovely weekend and we wish you well in your recovery.

Caroline Sheppard.

Cardiology Matron.

Jean Dendle gave General Surgery at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus a rating of 4 stars

Theatre Admissions Lounge waiting time

On October 12th, 2017 I had an appointment at City Hospital and had to report to Theatre Admisssions Lounge at 12 noon. As I understood it, I was to have a proceedure which would take less than 12 minutes. Allowing time for certain routine matters and paper work, I quite expected to leave the hospital within two hours.
How wrong! I was taken into theatre at 4.30 p.m. No explanation was given nor was there any warning in the appointment letter that I would be kept waiting for this length of time. I finally left the admissions lounge at 5.0 p.m. feeling very hungry having missed lunch.
My 80+ year old husband who was waiting at home for my return was, needless to say, getting very anxious as I had been unable to use my phone since there was no signal in the waiting area. I would appreciate your comments and hope that this situation could be improved for other patients in the future.

Visited in October 2017. Posted on 21 October 2017

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus has not yet replied.

Tony gave Cardiology at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus a rating of 5 stars

Could not fault the service, first class.

During our visit to my daughter in Nottingham (we are from Kent) I had a sever pain from my shoulder down to my finger tips on my left arm. For someone who considered himself fit and very healthy and rarely visited the doctor did not think for one moment that this could be something serious.

The pain got considerably worse and at that stage my daughter and wife decided I was going to A&E at the QMC Hospital. From the time I was registered through to being diagnosed with having a heart attack and waiting for an ambulance to take me to City Hospital where they have an acute cardiac unit was unbelievably quick and professional and I can’t thank the staff enough.

Having arrived at City Hospital in no time (ambulance blue light) I was whisked through to the cardiac unit where it was diagnosed I required two stents. Again the treatment was unbelievably professional, I’m just sorry I didn’t elaborate on the “Thanks” at the time.

I was moved to Morris ward where I spent my recovery time. The doctors, nurses and all staff on that ward could not do enough for me and my ‘heart’ felt thanks goes out to them all.

Kindest Regards
Tony Charlesworth

Visited in September 2017. Posted on 02 October 2017

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus replied on 02 October 2017

Thanks Tony. Your feedback is greatly appreciated. I’ve shared your ‘thank you’ message with the various wards and teams who cared for you.

We all wish you the best in your recovery.

Best wishes,

Caroline Sheppard.

Cardiology Matron.

lamezi reviewed Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus

Made me feel at ease

Had a lovely appointment, they treatment us very well all the way through, I made sure I was seen by a female, she explained everything and made me feel at ease. Well done to her and all the staff.

Visited in September 2017. Posted on 01 October 2017 using Care Opinion

Thanks for sharing your feedback with us. It’s good of you to do so. I’d like to share your feedback with the department who cared for you. If you are happy to, can you get in touch with me with more details so I can ensure your thanks are shared with the right team. You can reach me on 0115 924 9924 ext. 66623 or QMCPET@nuh.nhs.uk.

Thanks again,

Sarah Kennedy.

Patient Experience Officer.

Melanie Williamson gave Respiratory Medicine at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus a rating of 5 stars

Excellent care

I was admittited into RAU and then spent 5 nights on flemming ward. The care I received was brilliant. During my stay I actually became to feel really poorly and the staff were brilliant, caring and reassuring, nothing was too much trouble. They would go out of their way to check on you not just at obs/medication time but during the day/night. I felt in very safe hands.I was Informed what was happening and the plan of action and what and how my medication would help.
The two sisters on the ward during my stay deserve a special mention, the way in which they ran the ward was exemplary! They personally went out of their way to ensure they knew how their patients were doing, which was very reassuring and the care given was fantastic.
I can only talk from personal experience but for me during that 48 hour period of really not feeling well they were excellent. I personally can't thank them and the team enough. you do a brilliant job!!

Visited in September 2017. Posted on 05 September 2017

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus replied on 06 September 2017

Thanks for sharing the details of your experience in our care. I’ve shared your kind words with my colleagues on RAU and Fleming ward, including the Sisters.
We hope you are feeling better after feeling so unwell.
Our best wishes

Helen Gregory
Respiratory Matron

Jill Skeavington gave Oncology - Clinical at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus a rating of 3 stars

Unacceptable wating time

The waiting time at the oncology clinic was an unacceptable one hour and thirty five minutes to see a doctor for three minutes and be told that 'everything is fine'. I asked if there had been any change in my scan and was told that there was no change.
Surely this information could have been given in a phone call, thus saving me a 25 mile round trip and 4 hours of my life. Not forgetting the waste of the doctors time.
As I said, totally unacceptable.

Visited in September 2017. Posted on 05 September 2017

I’m sorry to hear you had a long wait. Regrettably some clinics do fall behind, but where this happens we should keep patients informed and of course apologise. We are looking at which outpatient appointments can be changed to a phone call instead of a hospital visit and we will take your helpful feedback on board as we review this process.

Karen Thorpe
Manager, Oncology Outpatients

Bisto reviewed Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus

The quickness of treatment at Nottingham city hospital.

My wife attended haematology.
well-done everyone in that department. , my wife attended clinic 7 and was treated and walking down the hospital drive half an hour later well done to everyone in clinic 7

Visited in September 2017. Posted on 09 September 2017 using Care Opinion

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus replied on 12 September 2017

Great news! Thank you for getting in touch to share your story. I’ve shared your feedback with the team.

Best wishes to you and your wife,

Laura Mannering

Haematology Day Case Ward Manager.

Eileen Bridges gave Nephrology at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus a rating of 1 stars

Age 93 male, in patient for 2 weeks renal ward.

In patient for approximately 2 weeks.
He was admitted to a holding ward, I understand he was transferred to his permanent ward at 2am where he was transferred by wheel chair at speed, which clearly frightened him
Doctors did not return calls from family when agreed to by duty staff.
Failed to respond to alarm on machine attached to drip through line, until summoned by visitor.
Was left unshaven for 3 days, was not washed until 2pm on more than one occasion and then only after request.
Did not get breakfast one day, but then offered at 11:40am ie just before lunch. Because he was nearly blind he had difficulty with opening containers ie butter and icecream. but was not given assistance and because of his deafness he found it difficult to get his message over, and required more patience.
Although a sandwich was provided by family each day for tea it was not always given to him. Staff were made aware of this each day.
Blood on floor not removed until pointed out and we were told that it had been there for some hours.
Was advised of anticipated discharge on 4 different days when it did not take place when they had been advised that carers needed 48 hours notice. Patient advised of possible discharge when medically it was clearly not going to happen (test results known) increasing anxiety. Staff had been asked not to advise patient until it was certain.
Request for extra pillow, response was to put a blanket under the other pillow because they couldn't find one resulting in stiff neck.
Request for cardigan to be put on (drip needed to be removed), took over 3 hours and several requests (they feel the cold at age 93)
Doctors were approachable when you could find one.
In summary the care was patchy, some of the nursing staff and carers were very nice and one nurse was downright 'hostile'
He had previously been in QMC for periods of 4 weeks and one week and the level of care was wonderful and could not be faulted, there is no comparison

Visited in September 2017. Posted on 12 September 2017

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus replied on 13 September 2017

Dear Eileen. I am deeply concerned to read your account of the care a patient experienced in our care. I apologise that we fell short in so many areas.

I would like to look into your concerns. Would you mind contacting me so we can discuss in more detail. If so, you can reach me on 0115 969 1169 ext. 54487 or Belinda.dring@nuh.nhs.uk.

Belinda Dring.

Matron for renal and transplant.

David gave General Surgery at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus a rating of 5 stars

A scary time in my life

This is a time we all dread, when the big C enters your life. I was told I needed an operation, you accept this you have no choice.

The big day arrives and you know your life is no longer under your own control, it is in someone else's hands, that does nothing for your nerves at all.

I walked into the theatre and the first shock is how many people there are in there, why do they need them all, what are they all going to do?

Immediately the mood changes, everyone is light hearted cracking jokes about each other, some with a similar sense of humour to my own, I could listen to this all day I think to myself, maybe this won't be so bad after all. Of course this what it's all about, to put you at ease, and it did.

When I woke up I had the same team still laughing at me, and I laughed as well, what a place this is I thought, where would we be without it.

I say goodbye to the team, to whom I will be forever grateful and am transferred to the recovery room where a nurse pampers me and tells me how much they love their job, as do all the staff in there, the nurse made me smile, they were lovely.

All too soon I have to leave my lovely nurse and am on my way to the burns unit where I will complete my stay. Super efficiency being the order of the day here, never failing to wake you up at 2.00 am to take your blood pressure for the thirty fifth time that day, all in a good cause I'm sure, you can't be too careful can you?

I have to say the care I received in there was second to none, the nurses were lovely, nothing was too much trouble and all with a very willing smile.

I lost count of all the doctors and specialists who came to see me, how much must all this cost, I thought many times.

Our NHS is the envy of the world, and in my opinion City Hospital is the jewel in the crown.

I hope I never need them again, but if I do and I have the choice it's City Hospital for me.

Thanks guys you are worth every penny and much, much more. I will be forever grateful to you all.

Visited in September 2017. Posted on 13 September 2017

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust - City Campus replied on 14 September 2017

Thanks for sharing the details of your experience in our care David. It’s appreciated. I’ve sent your comment to the team.
Sending our best wishes.