Leicester General Hospital

0300 303 1573 Gwendolen Road , Leicester, Leicestershire, LE5 4PW

Anonymous gave Sports and Exercise Medicine at Leicester General Hospital a rating of 3 stars

Talked at, not to and poorly treated

Basically, the doctor who saw me recently at The General was focused on himself and his activities, but not on me, the patient. The outcome was that he didn't treat me or relieve my symptoms, but only satisfied the procedures that he thought were appropriate.

The original appointment was to be with an excellent consultant who saw me twice last year. This time, however, I was hurriedly introduced to a doctor who was 'on rotation' and was told that he would see me instead of the consultant.

I gave this doctor 'help me' prompts: 'This is affecting my life ... damaging my general health ... causing me distress' and so on. To my surprise, he ignored these cues and focused only on the medical situation as he saw it. He also assumed that I had no 'medical literacy' and didn't ask if I'd been given other medical opinions outside The General.

Even more remarkably, he told me his POLITICAL position. When I said that I was prepared to 'go private' to avoid the long waiting list for an MRI scan he wanted me to have, he said that he "believed in the NHS". (In fact, so do I, but what I want is not more diagnosis, which my GP has already confirmed is unnecessary, but treatment.)

He then divulged that the reason for the scan, despite the waiting list, was to protect the NHS from litigation - to prevent patients suing the NHS for malpractice.

Now, even if I have the unnecessary scan, on the NHS or privately, I find myself consigned to several months of continuing pain until I can see the original consultant again and before treatment can begin.

Visited in January 2019. Posted on 10 January 2019

Leicester General Hospital replied on 17 January 2019

Dear reviewer,

Thanks for taking the time to post your comment. We're very sorry to read about your experience.

For your issues to be looked into further please contact our Patient Information and Liaison Service (PILS) – free phone line: 08081 788337 (open Monday to Friday 10am to 4pm) all the details are on this page of our website: https://www.leicestershospitals.nhs.uk/patients/patient-welfare/patient-information-and-liaison-service/

Kindest regards,

Leicester’s Hospitals

Anonymous gave Sleep Disorders Service at Leicester General Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Leicester Sleep Lab

Been using a CPAP for quite some years now, and EVERY visit staff at Leicester are VERY rude.

Won't answer the telephone if you need advice.
they provide a drop-in service of which you can wait 2 hours and NOT be seen.

I would make a formal complaint if I thought it would make any difference.

Visited in January 2019. Posted on 10 January 2019

Dave123 reviewed Leicester General Hospital

Leicester Sleep clinic

Been using a CPAP for quite some years now, and_ every_ visit, staff at Leicester have been _very_ rude.
Don't even think of asking a question or asking for advice The department don't answer the telephone if I need advice. they provide a drop-in service of which I can wait 2 hours and _not _be seen. (waste of time)I would make a formal complaint if I thought it would make any difference.

Visited in January 2019. Posted on 10 January 2019 using Care Opinion

Greatful patient gave Urology at Leicester General Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Caring and professional service

This was my first visit to the City General hospital as a out patient .I found the staff and Doctors all very helpful and understanding and made me feel as ease at a difficult time .

Visited in January 2019. Posted on 04 January 2019

Leicester General Hospital replied on 17 January 2019

Dear reviewer,

Thank you for leaving your review. We are pleased you had a positive experience within the urology department at Leicester General Hospital.

We will pass on your feedback to the service. We wish you all the best.

Kindest regards,

The Communications Team
Leicester's Hospitals

Anonymous gave Pain Management at Leicester General Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Complete farce

i was booked in for a nerve block injection, a procedure I have had a couple of times before with a Doctor who has now retired, in December. Time was booked off work, at a busy time prior to Christmas only to be contacted the day before to have the appointment cancelled. Apparently the doctor scheduled to carry out the injection had checked his list and was not trained to do the injection. I was contacted to arrange another appointment at which time I asked them to check that the doctor was capable of doing the injection. I took another day off work (losing a day's pay) starved for 6 hours, got a train and then a bus to LGH. I was booked in and had my obs done before seeing the doctor. On looking at the notes he said sorry I cannot do the injection as it isn't a procedure I can do and then left. Credit to the staff in Daycase unit 1 who contact Pain Management immediately to try and sort something out and also provided me with something to eat and drink. However I feel very disappointed with the pain clinic especially after highlighting the problem with the previous appointment and also being out of pocket for transport costs for myself and my wife. I am now waiting to see how this can be resolved and if there is anybody that can carry out the procedure.

Visited in January 2019. Posted on 09 January 2019

Terry Gogerty gave at Leicester General Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Cut and wedge of bone below left knee

I was originally coming in for bones replacement behind my left knee, but they realised 4 days before the operation that a ‘cut n wedge’ would be a lot better, as it would bring the bone in better contact with my knee. The operation was only 2 days ago, but I can stand on my leg now with crutches.
I went to Ward 18 after my operation and I found all of the staff very polite and helpful. The ward was spotlessly clean and professionals ran.

Visited in January 2019. Posted on 11 January 2019

Miss Patel reviewed Leicester General Hospital

Had my hysterectomy

I had to go in for a hysterectomy in Dec 2018 I was extremely anxious and worried as I had to go through this major operation. As I was admitted to ward 11 the nurses on ward 11 had made me feel extremely at ease made me comfortable and explained things to the finest details and reassured me things will be fine. Walking down to the theatre can be scary but the nurse had made me feel so much at ease thank you to nurse Tina on ward 11.
I would like to thank all the thearte staff in thearte 7 they were amazing such a lovely friendly bunch who made me feel so much at ease as it was scary espeacially the thearte nurse. Least of all my surgeon on the day who really put me at ease Mr Banerjee thank you.
Ward 31 recuperating was made so comfortable, such a friendly, gentle caring bunch who explained things in great details when unsure and anxious about a procedure. All the nurses on ward 31 has been excellent looking after patients including myself.
Thank you to all you who have cared for me during my stay at Leicester General ward 11, 31

Visited in December 2018. Posted on 20 December 2018 using Care Opinion

Leicester General Hospital replied on 28 December 2018

Dear Miss Patel,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us your comments.

It is fantastic to hear about your recent care at Leicester General Hospital.

We will be sure to pass on all of your kind words to the staff on ward 31 and 11.

The Communications Team,
Leicesters Hospitals

Jamie and Amy gave Maternity services at Leicester General Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Amazing staff, handled out pregnancy superbly

We recently visited the maternity unit for the birth of our little girl. The care and professionalism shown by every member of staff theoughout the whole time we were these was absolutelly faultless, they helped to make what could have been a stressful experience extremely smooth. If you are having a baby in the near future, we can’t recommend this hospital highly enough

Jamie and Amy

Visited in December 2018. Posted on 21 December 2018

Leicester General Hospital replied on 28 December 2018

Dear Jamie and Amy,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us your comments.

It is fantastic to hear about your recent care at Leicester General Hospital.

We will be sure to pass on all of your kind words to the staff within our maternity department.

We hope your little one and mum are doing well.

The Communications Team,
Leicesters Hospitals

Andy Wells gave at Leicester General Hospital a rating of 5 stars

total knee replacement

On 3rd November, I was admitted to the general for a total knee replacement. I feel I must comment, and thank all the staff involved. I started off in ward 18, then the operation, then ward 14 to recover and get mobile again. I would say that all the staff - nursing, surgery team and the Anaesthetics team were really great.I found that everyone acted with great kindness and compassion and also delivered care with the highest degree of quality. I would say that all the staff I came into contact with were a real credit to their professions and the NHS.

Visited in November 2018. Posted on 13 November 2018

Leicester General Hospital replied on 20 November 2018

Dear Andy,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comment.

We are really pleased to hear how well you were cared for by our Orthopaedics team at Leicester General Hospital. Your feedback is much appreciated and has been shared with the relevant teams.

Have you considered nominating a team or a member of staff for our Caring at its Best awards? Further information is available on our website: http://www.leicestershospitals.nhs.uk/aboutus/our-purpose-strategy-and-values/caring-at-its-best-awards/

Gul reviewed Leicester General Hospital

My surgery

I was admitted at the leicester general hospital via A and E admissions. First of all I did not see the actual consultant even once during my stay. His team would only come once late morning.
Day one - doctor on call advised that they will do an endoscopy to determine how far the stone was in my duct. They were very clear - drew a diagram explained to me why I was having the pain and what the plan was. As this was an ongoing issue and scans were already on ice. Said once the endoscopy is done I will be prebooked for a gall bladder removal surgery as this will be needed anyway.
Day 2 after long waits to spk to a consultant team member came and said they have decided they will do surgery today. They advised me to stay nil by mouth and said surgery will be done anytime during the whole day. Stayed starving all day and about 5 pm a member from the surgical team advised they will not do it today now as they have had other emergencies. Still in pain I did not know what to do so I remained quiet and a bit confused as to how urgent or immediate my situation was. Was in ward 28 lovely nurses and clean environment but poor medical services. I felt like I was in a hotel being cared for and given a menu to choose from. Much appreciated but the bottom line is where are the doctors and why would they not be available and so limited to a brief 2 minute visit during the morning round.
Day 3 was advised to stay as they will take me for surgery. After a long wait I since morning I was taken at 3. 30pm and we were going forward. Wonderful theatre staff but there was something unusual. One of the theatre staff was someone I knew as a distant friend. We got into a conversation and I said I was meant to be operated yesterday but starved and was not done, before they could say anything the surgeon from the far end responded by saying oh yeah as we had emergencies - it was a bit strange as I was not even talking to them and it looked like they were trying to cover some errors or something really. Surgery done and once I went I was taken to ward 31 as my bed was taken. This was the most inconvenient thing as that was the gynaec ward. As I asked them about my gall bladder and how many stones ornif I could see what was taken out they replied by saying we dnt know. Plus they also said you have been pushed in this ward as there were no beds. My after care was compromised and my bed in ward 28 was given to another patient. Would have been better to give the new arrival in ward 31 and keeping me in the same ward. The day nurse was ok but the evening nurse was very unhelpful and rude. I reported to the head nurse but not sure how that was followed.
I was discharged the next day. After 2 days I had sever bruising so I called the hub as fo was closed. Very good doctor and he did say I should have not been discharged so early as aftercare is very important but having said it was a bed issue. He checked and said to follow up with my gp. I ended at the glen field the next day as I had severe chest pain and now I am having lower pelvic pain post surgery. No one is able to assist and I feel if I would have recieved after care at the hospital I would have recovered more better. I am still having pains and a poor quality of life. I believe it was better for me to live with pain and probably die then going through all the agony which is still ongoing. Very unreliable inefficient service who does not put the welfare of the patient first.

Visited in November 2018. Posted on 15 November 2018 using Care Opinion

Leicester General Hospital replied on 20 November 2018

Dear Gul

We are really sorry to hear about your experience at Leicester General Hospital. We would like to look into your concerns so we can improve the service to future patients. To enable us to do so, please could you formally log your concerns via our Patient Information and Liaison Service – all the contact details are on this page of our website: https://www.leicestershospitals.nhs.uk/contact/

Thank you for taking the time to post your comment.