Leicester Royal Infirmary

0300 303 1573 Leicester Royal Infirmary, Infirmary Square , Leicester, Leicestershire, LE1 5WW

Anonymous gave Dermatology at Leicester Royal Infirmary a rating of 5 stars

Dermatologist

I was referred by my gp to have a mole looked at .My care from this dept was absolutely brilliant . First appt was very busy and waited a while but that was to be expected in such a very busy dept and was just grateful to be seen by the nhs.it was decided to freeze mole my first then have a follow up appt, this appt came I went again the staff and consultant were amazing and treated with respect . It was then decided to go back to have the mole removed and to be sent off for a biopsy . I attended this morning for this to be done, as you can imagine I was very nervous but once again the Consultant and staff explained from start to finish what they were doing and the after care was explained I was soon feeling much more relaxed. I have to wait a couple off weeks for results . I just wanted to say how much I appreciate the kindness and care shown throughout this dept. There worth there wait in gold . Very much appreciate one and all.

Visited in January 2019. Posted on 08 January 2019

Leicester Royal Infirmary replied on 17 January 2019

Dear reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review. We are pleased that you were happy with the care you received. It is great to read about how kind the staff were. We will pass this on to the dermatology team.

We wish you the very best.

Many thanks,

Leicester's Hospitals

Michael Millward gave Ear, Nose & Throat at Leicester Royal Infirmary a rating of 5 stars

Nose Cauterization Operation

I have never been a huge fan of LRI only because of personal choice but mind has been changed since having a nose cauterisation operation yesterday. From the moment I entered the ENT unit until the time I left some 8 hours later I can honestly say that every member of staff that I encountered was fantastic and the service was well above 5 star.

Many thanks for making my experience as comfortable as possible and keep up the great work.

Visited in January 2019. Posted on 09 January 2019

Leicester Royal Infirmary replied on 17 January 2019

Dear Michael,

Thank you for leaving your review. We are really pleased to read about your positive experience including how fantastic staff were. We will pass on your kind words to the ENT department.

We wish you all the best.

Many thanks,

Leicester's Hospitals

Anonymous gave Ear, Nose & Throat at Leicester Royal Infirmary a rating of 4 stars

Learning Disabled adult

Clinic on Sunday 20th January 2019 pm. I attempted to attend this clinic with my profoundly autistic and severely disabled son. We were treated with the utmost compassion and care by the reception and by the doctor on duty. My son was so distressed that he would not leave the car but the clinic practitioner took the time to speak to me and I felt he really listened and understood our problems and my sons needs.
I had previously contacted the Learning Disabiliity nurses and they had emailed the clinic . All of this communication had obviously taken place and staff were ready for us.
It is profoundly difficult to visit a hospital with an adult with complex Learning Dusabilities but I felt that staff understood the adaptations that could be put in place so that my son could have equal access to health care . Thank you

Visited in January 2019. Posted on 20 January 2019

Leicester Royal Infirmary has not yet replied.

Hails42 gave Maternity services at Leicester Royal Infirmary a rating of 5 stars

Maternity Services

I have recently had my son by elective c section at LRI after a traumatic experience with my first pregnacy. The service and care i have recieved has been excellent..from antenatal right through to post natal the care has been thorough, safe for me and my baby and i have been involved in and happy with all decisions regarding the birth. The c section experience was great, from a nice relaxed waiting area to informed prep and the procedure itself went smoothly...a very different experience to my first birth! The staff were friendly, and supportive throughout. Thank you LRI for making a situation i was very anxious about a positive experience.

Visited in December 2018. Posted on 05 January 2019

Leicester Royal Infirmary replied on 07 January 2019

Dear reviewer,

Thank you for leaving your feedback. Congratulations on the birth of your son – we are delighted to hear about your positive experience in Maternity Services at Leicester Royal Infirmary. We will make sure to pass this onto the maternity team involved in your care and would like to wish you all the best.

Have you considered nominating a member of staff or team for our Caring at its Best awards? Further information is available on our website: https://www.leicestershospitals.nhs.uk/aboutus/our-purpose-strategy-and-values/caring-at-its-best-awards/public-nomination-form/

Best wishes,
Communications team,
Leicester's Hospitals

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Leicester Royal Infirmary a rating of 5 stars

I was treated at the Royal A&E

I wa treated very quick after a phone call to 111 they made an appointment for me I only waited about 10 minutes to be seen, the doctor reassured me my condition was not to serious & gave me a coarse of Antibiotics I was fine within 12 hours.(what great service)

Visited in December 2018. Posted on 26 December 2018

Leicester Royal Infirmary replied on 08 January 2019

Dear reviewer,

Many thanks for leaving a review. We are delighted to read your positive comments about your recent visit to A&E at Leicester Royal Infirmary. We will make sure to pass this onto the A&E management team and wish you all the best.

Best wishes,
Communications team,

Nas gave Dermatology at Leicester Royal Infirmary a rating of 1 stars

Allergy Testing - Dermatology

My allergy testing scheduled for Nov 2018 (which came through 9 months after referral) was cancelled with the excuse no staff in the department which seemed bizarre being that this clinic is packed. Any way rescheduled for mid-Dec 2018 and tests done all okay although I was interrupted during the consultation of explaining when my condition started my products and it was cut short.

Finally, on 27 Dec 2018 the letters (2 of the same detail) opened and not marked Private & Confidential arrived detailing what I am allergic to and i notice it is addressed incorrectly to e at No 5... whereas I live at No 15.... Furthermore, the letter is thanking a doctor as the referral in fact I was referred to by another doctor. It lists the allergent chemicals in brief no detailed explanation and there is no follow up appointment which I find odd because when I was due for testing in Nov 2018, I had a follow appt at General Hospital with the original doctor on 26 Nov 2018 and when I met him it transpired that appt should have been cancelled as I hadnt had the test yet. He then went on to say at that time "I will see you at the LRI and after your allergy test in Dec 2018".

Now that I have had my tests in Dec 2018 where is the follow up at the General with this doctor or his team. I find the whole experience bizarre its a case of job done - no aftercare discussion - shoudnt there be one?.

I must state the staff were very very good clear polite. Not so the area for the test - the 'aprons' we had to wear were left in a heap and I just picked one which others would have worn which is quite unhygienic being that people are being tested on what is on their skin.

My main concern is lack of concern and privacy in addressing my letter to the incorrect address at No 5 ….- obviously the recipient at the incorrect address had opened my envelopes and somehow checked my name and delivered to through my door at No 15....

Visited in December 2018. Posted on 29 December 2018

Leicester Royal Infirmary has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Leicester Royal Infirmary a rating of 1 stars

A & E : No sense of urgency

I have had to use the adult accident and emergency department for the first time in my life- I have had 4 trips in the last 2 weeks. My first visit was on a Friday night and we were told when we arrived that it was a long wait...we were first seen after 4 hours and were in there for 10hours in total. Despite it no doubt often being that busy on a Friday at that time only 2 of about 8 assessment rooms were in use. At shift change in the morning there seemed to be plenty of people coming on shift and the queue went down fast but in the middle of the night at its peak busy time there did not seem to be a enough staff on. On each of my visits what I found really frustrating was that whilst I sat there in pain, the nurses were walking slowly around with no apparent sense of urgency and staff were chatting around reception.
Each time I have attended there was a different guess for the cause of my pain and then when they decided on that or found it wasn’t that I was sent home obviously then returning because the real issue was not discovered.
On my last trip in, although the waiting room was not full, an older lady game in with a gash on the back of her head, still dripping with blood and her husband had to go and move his car as there is no long stay parking outside a & e. She waited 40 minutes for the initial assessment and would then have had to wait for actual action.
I do understand that it must be frustrating to have people come to a & e unnecessarily or through self inflicted drunken injuries but there are a lot of us coming there because we are in a lot of pain and need of urgent help but I did not find it very urgent and the impression i got was that the shifts are not staffed correctly according to patterns in peaks and troughs.

I find it alarming that big plans are being made for new buildings when our new a & e department in Leicester is one of the lowest performing departments in the country when you search for National a & e performance. This is where the focus needs to be before new facilities are added.

Visited in December 2018. Posted on 21 December 2018

Dear reviewer,

Thanks for taking the time to post your comment.

We’re really sorry to hear about your recent experience in our accident and emergency services at Leicester Royal Infirmary.

Your feedback has been shared with the team.

If you would like to formally log your concerns, please contact our Patient Information and Liaison Service (PILS) – all the details are on this page of our website: https://www.leicestershospitals.nhs.uk/patients/patient-welfare/patient-information-and-liaison-service/

The Communications Team,
Leicesters Hospitals

Geoff B gave Accident and emergency services at Leicester Royal Infirmary a rating of 5 stars

Excellent Emergency Department

i was admitted to the Emergency Dept (ED) by ambulance with severe back and hip pain. The Para Medic and ambulance crew were brilliant at bringing my agonising pain under control.

I was immediately admitted to the ED and settled into room. Gone are the curtain cubicles, nice sliding doors, etc. The staff were excellent, quickly assessed my comfort etc and brought the pain under control. Being diabetic I needed to eat, no sooner said than done. Lovely sandwiches with tea.

The attending Doctor was also brilliant and very thorough. She was very thorough in reviewing my medical history and what had brought about so much pain, Diagnostic Tests were quickly carried out and a diagnosis given. Appropriate pain control was prescribed and I was allowed to return home.

My overall experience was nothing more than excellent. The new ED is a credit to the hospital and all the staff that do such a difficult job brilliantly. Well done LRI.

Visited in December 2018. Posted on 22 December 2018

Dear Geoff,

Thank you for taking time to leave your review. We are so pleased the team were able to provide such excellent care.

We will pass on your kind words to the service.

You mention you feel the team went above and beyond. Have you considered nominating a team or a member of staff for our Caring at its Best awards? Further information is available on our website: http://www.leicestershospitals.nhs.uk/aboutus/our-purpose-strategy-and-values/caring-at-its-best-awards/

Tahir gave Physiotherapy at Leicester Royal Infirmary a rating of 1 stars

unpleasant cafe supervisor! ??

I don't like the individual who is apparently the supervisor at the restaurants black & white cafe. She doesn't talk to staff with respect and is behaved similarly with customers. 😐 Its very unlikely that I'll be visiting that cafe ever again!

Visited in December 2018. Posted on 23 December 2018

Dear Tahir,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us your comment.

We have passed your feedback onto the retail catering team.

The Communications Team,
Leicesters Hospitals

Roger Lane gave Ophthalmology at Leicester Royal Infirmary a rating of 5 stars

Opthamology dept

Just returned from LRI, today and have nothing but praise for all the staff concerned with the diagnosis and outcome. The professor and the consultant were both excellent, they gave me approx date for op, and sent me for pre assessment, all of this in 2 hours.
Previous hospital I haven't even been seen in 2 hrs.
Thank you for excellent service.
Roger Lane.

Visited in December 2018. Posted on 18 December 2018

Dear Mr Lane,

Thank you for leaving your review.

We're really pleased to read about your excellent care.

We will make sure we pass on your kind feedback to the ophthalmology department