University Hospital Of North Tees

01642 617617 Hardwick Road , Stockton-on-Tees, Cleveland, TS19 8PE

Anonymous gave Urgent care centre at University Hospital Of North Tees a rating of 2 stars

Horrendous 1.5 hour wait with our son who had a broken arm!

My husband and I arrived at the A&E department with our distraught six year old son who was suspected to have sustained a broken arm. Only to be be sent to Urgent Care? Upon arriving at the department it was extremely busy, we explained what we thought the injury was likely to be and as you could clearly see the distress our son was in we did not expect to sit and wait 90 minutes. We weren’t even offered a seat in what would appear the child’s section around the corner which could only be accessed by a member of staff, where he may have been able to occupy his mind with some of the toys. Instead we sat with people who appeared to be non emergencies displaying simple flu symptoms. My husband then went back to A&E to ask why we had be sent there instead of being treat in A&E as it was an acciedent and emergancy. When we were eventually seen by the nurse who appeared to be a ‘Sister’, who was not friendly in the slightest and didn’t appear good with children. Nothing was explained to us regarding our sons arm, just a quick examination and then told us to go to x-ray, which we did and it confirmened what we orriginally thought, a broken arm! We are not happy with the whole process and will not be using this hospital again if we ever need to visit an A&E department, we will be going straight to James Cook and would advise others to do so too. We just don’t understand how or why our son was sent with a broken arm to baisically a walk in centre?! Disgraceful.

Visited in January 2018. Posted on 07 January 2018

University Hospital Of North Tees replied on 09 January 2018

Thank you for contacting NHS Choices. To enable the Trust to investigate your concerns could you please contact the Patient Experience Team on 01642 624719 or email patientexperience@nth.nhs.uk.

Claire M gave General Surgery at University Hospital Of North Tees a rating of 5 stars

As good as a stay can be in hospital

I stayed in ward 30 from 2nd jan 2017. It was one of the busiest times the hospital had experienced. The staff were worked to their physical limits. Yes there was a wait in a & e but they were doing all they could for patients in my experience. I cannot praise all of the nurses enough in ward 30, they were kind sympathetic and attentive and the patient care, for me, was outstanding. They kept me informed made sure i was comfortable and that's all i could of ask for, but they really cared and went out of their way to have a conversation with me and when you're bored waiting for test results it breaks up the day. Thanks for making my hospital visit as good as it possibly could have been.

Visited in January 2018. Posted on 12 January 2018

University Hospital Of North Tees replied on 15 January 2018

Thank you for leaving a comment on NHS Choices. Your kind comments will be forwarded to the staff involved in your care. Please accept our good wishes for the future.

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at University Hospital Of North Tees a rating of 3 stars

5 Hours in A N E

Came in with my mam on arriving i could tell it was very busy, however the nurse who was in charge of my mam did her best considering she was dealing with another 3 patients you could tell they were very short staffed a porter came to take my mam for an xray but couldn't be taken because she needed as HCA with her 1 and a half hours later she went for xray when they transfered to the ward. This isnot the staff fault you need more Staff

Visited in January 2018. Posted on 13 January 2018

University Hospital Of North Tees replied on 15 January 2018

Thank you for contacting NHS Choices. Your comments will be forwarded to the management of the Emergency Services at North Tees. If you wanted to raise your concerns more formally please contact the Patient Experience Team on 01642 624719 or e mail patientexperience@nth.nhs.uk.

Anonymous gave Maternity services at University Hospital Of North Tees a rating of 2 stars

left feeling so worried

i want to delivery suite and they were lovely seen to me as fast as they could, i wasnt in labour so was sent to antenatal where i was told babys heart beat was to fast, i was also bleeding and loosing amniotic fluid and was left for a few hours. i rang the buzzer as i was in a lot of pain someone came after ten minutes then said they would get a midwife which never came. i was having abdominal pain and had falling asleep when dinner was delivered on the ward however when i woke up i was told to go collect my own dinner but with been in so much pain i couldnt move from my bed so went hungry till my partner come in. i will now not be having my baby at this hospital. i will be getting transfered to another hospital.

Visited in January 2018. Posted on 18 January 2018

University Hospital Of North Tees has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Cardiology at University Hospital Of North Tees a rating of 5 stars

Astonishingly good care -Acute Cardiac Unit.

Totally amazing care from medics, nurses and domestic staff. Attentive, caring, individualised, highly skilful. So grateful to every single wonderful person working in this department (and the others we went through to arrive at ACU - A and E, Respiratory). You are all angels!

Visited in December 2017. Posted on 16 January 2018

University Hospital Of North Tees has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Urgent care centre at University Hospital Of North Tees a rating of 5 stars

Excellent service

Attended the Urgent Care Centre at North Tees Hospital this evening was seen by the Nurse Specialist. What a kind lady, she spent the time to listen to what was wrong and I was involved in all aspects of my care. Such nice caring staff in this unit. A credit to the NHS. Thank you once again.

Visited in December 2017. Posted on 28 December 2017

University Hospital Of North Tees replied on 03 January 2018

John Brown gave Urgent care centre at University Hospital Of North Tees a rating of 5 stars

Superb treatment, but website confusion.

During the afternoon of New Years Eve, I cut my hand clearing a blocked sewer. I normally allow nature to make its own arrangements, but a large swelling and infection within 3 hours suggested i should do something different.

Should I go to A & E?
I had heard of the Walk In Centre at Hardwick, should I go there.?

Checked the Walk In Centre online, no indication of it being closed, so physically visited the site, which I found on arrival long gone. ( Website information issue here) Identified the replacement on line as the Urgent Care Centre, but on checking the internal and external maps on the hospital main website found its location is still marked as Wilburs Cafe (Website information issue)

That is the end of the negatives, I quickly found the signage on site for the Urgent Care Centre, where I attended reception, who were efficient and prompt taking my details. With 40 people present I expected a long wait, but it appears all medical practioners are working independently, and parallel with the online system rather than the linear muggins system we all know from sitting for hours in A&E.

This type of system allows them to triage instantly as people are entered onto the system, and within 5 minutes, I was called forward for treatment, although the location of the practioner as the Plaster Room, gave me cause to check with the reception, that I was indeed the correct person they wanted. Within 15 mins of my arrival at the Urgent Care Centre I was leaving with a packet of antibiotics for my infection, which thankfully is now settling down.

This system and outcome if typical is first rate, and I extend my thanks to all staff members, although I wasn't there long enough to get any names to applaud them individually. There is however an issue that needs addressing with regards to accuracy of the information available online.

As most people go years if not decades between hospital visits, it should not be assumed that they will all have even a basic understanding of how the hospital works. It would be useful if the home page of the hospitals website was a Splash page focusing on nothing more than providing that basic information that prospective patients or visitors might need if they have chopped their arm off with a chainsaw without having to plough through endless pages of a website. Even now I am still at a loss as to when I would go to A& E, rather than the Urgent Care Centre.

Visited in December 2017. Posted on 02 January 2018

University Hospital Of North Tees replied on 03 January 2018

Thank you for leaving a comment on NHS Choices. Your kind comments will be forwarded to the team involved in your care. Please accept our good wishes for the future. We will also forward your comments regarding the website to our Communications department for their attention.

If you would like to discuss this matter further please do not hesitate to contact the Patient Experience Team on 01642 624719.

seebee reviewed University Hospital Of North Tees

I cannot find out what my wife is being treated for

My wife is currently on a ward in North Tees University Hospital. She is now in a worse condition than she was upon admission. Because it is Christmas/New Year staffing is at a minimum. There is rarely a doctor on the ward during visiting hours. On New Years Eve, there was only one doctor covering four wards. I asked to speak to them but I was refused. I cannot find out what is wrong with my wife or what she is being treated for. This is a totally frustrating and highly unsatisfactory situation. I feel so sorry for my poor wife but I feel so helpless. What can I do?

Visited in December 2017. Posted on 31 December 2017 using Care Opinion

University Hospital Of North Tees replied on 03 January 2018

Thank you for contacting NHS Choices. If you wife is currently on the ward you can ask to speak with the Ward Matron. You can also contact the Patient Experience Team on 01642 624719 or email patientexperience@nth.nhs.uk.

Sharron gave Accident and emergency services at University Hospital Of North Tees a rating of 5 stars

24hr stay involving A&E, children’s day unit and ward

From arriving at the hospital A&E department with my son to his subsequent discharge from the children’s ward 24 hours later we have had a consistently high standard of care.
The staff in A&E, the children’s day unit and children’s ward were efficient, friendly and professional at all times and made our stay as comfortable as possible
All areas were clean and tidy and the parents kitchen provided much needed refreshments.
A massive thank you to all involved

Visited in December 2017. Posted on 09 December 2017

University Hospital Of North Tees replied on 12 December 2017

Urgent Care Centre Efficiency

I went to the urgent care centre at North Tis Hospital today. I was referred there by using the 111 service. From start to finish it was professional and I was very impressed with all of the staff and the centre.

Visited in December 2017. Posted on 10 December 2017