University Hospital Of Hartlepool

01642 617617 Holdforth Road , Hartlepool, Cleveland, TS24 9AH

Anonymous gave Urgent care centre at University Hospital Of Hartlepool a rating of 5 stars

Visit on Saturday 4th August

Feeling really ill when I woke I rang the doctors to be told ring 111 or go to urgent care. Having recently checked the reviews I though this could possibly be quite daunting. However upon arrival the receptionist was lovely, very pleasant and helpful. I was told to sit in the waiting area and to be fair I expected a long wait. I was called almost straight away to the triage nurse- I explained what had happened since I had been to the doctors earlier in the week. After she thoroughly checked me over she was able to issue me with a prescription and give me advice that would help with my recovery. All in all the staff were spot on - very helpful, polite and also reassuring. Top marks today!

Visited in August 2018. Posted on 04 August 2018

University Hospital Of Hartlepool replied on 06 August 2018

Thank you for leaving a comment on NHS Choices. Your kind comments will be forwarded to the team involved in your care. Please accept our good wishes for the future.

Anonymous gave Diagnostic Endoscopy at University Hospital Of Hartlepool a rating of 5 stars

Massive thank you!

Please accept this review as nothing short of mirical workers!
I've had plenty of endoscopy tests in the past and im terrified Every time.
The staff at hartlepool were outstanding. Kept me calm and reassured me that everything was going to be fine. And it was. You settled me right down and were able to diagnose for me.
Xx

Visited in July 2018. Posted on 20 July 2018

University Hospital Of Hartlepool replied on 02 August 2018

Anonymous gave Urgent care centre at University Hospital Of Hartlepool a rating of 1 stars

Nurse very rude and not good with children

Advised to go to the Urgent Care Centre following a call to 111 regarding my 2 year old son; having being unable to obtain a GP appointment that day. My son was reviewed by a Sister there who was extremely rude the minute we walked through the door and gave the impression that we were wasting her time. The nurse then carried out a very poor assessment on my son, did not try and engage with him at all whilst carrying out the assessment, which made my son more anxious with what was happening. She then gave a poor explanation as to the reasons behind his symptoms, making us have no confidence in her clinical abilities and knowledge. We left the Urgent Care Centre disgusted and angry.

My son was reviewed by a GP the following day. A full assessment was carried out without problems. Would not recommend this place to anyone I know.

Visited in July 2018. Posted on 25 July 2018

University Hospital Of Hartlepool replied on 02 August 2018

Thank you for contacting NHS Choices. To enable the Trust to investigate your concerns could you please contact the Patient Experience Team on 01642 624719 or email patientexperience@nth.nhs.uk.

Excellent Care

I went to the Urgent Care Unit as I fell and hurt my footing wasn't' sure whether it was broken. My treatment was excellent. The staff were helpful, friendly and professional - I was seen very quickly and had an X-ray within a few minutes of arriving. I was given good advice before discharge which took into account the fact that I suffer from muscular dystrophy. I was very impressed with the speed and care.

Visited in July 2018. Posted on 30 July 2018

Larraine gave University Hospital Of Hartlepool a rating of 4 stars

Booking appointments

I came to Hartlepool hospital for neuro physio after having my appointment cancelled last minute 4 out of 5 times at Billingham so finally complained and got a lovely member of staff as my new physio. Unfortunately I had to cancel an appointment she booked as my husband had a hospital appointment so I rebooked with the appointment line. So it takes me an hour round trip and got there today to be told the physio had another patient and a meeti g the booking clerk had forgotten to book her! So the receptionist who wasn't particularly friendly attempted to give me the appointment I had had to cancel then suggested billingham!!! To say I was angry was an understatement, when you have condition and your in constant pain you don't need this, unfortunately I also told her I wouldn't be back, so I ended up feeling even worse, losing an hour and paying £3 for it!!! Some staff could definitely do with some new training!

Visited in June 2018. Posted on 12 June 2018

University Hospital Of Hartlepool replied on 22 June 2018

Sarah gave Urgent care centre at University Hospital Of Hartlepool a rating of 1 stars

Staff are rude

Went this morning very few people in the lady in triage made me feel like i wasnt allowed to be there... asked why didnt you go to your gp i told her it was closed as its the weekend! Why didnt you phone 111. Why is it a problem?? She said its just you live in shotton and you have came all the way here! Its 15 mins away max and no problem to me. They need to learn how to speak to people when they are dealing with the public!

Visited in June 2018. Posted on 30 June 2018

University Hospital Of Hartlepool replied on 10 July 2018

Thank you for contacting NHS Choices. We are sorry you were disappointed with this service. To enable the Trust to investigate your concerns could you please contact the Patient Experience Team on 01642 624719 or e mail patientexperience@nth.nhs.uk

Brenda gave General Medicine at University Hospital Of Hartlepool a rating of 5 stars

Ct scan

I was at the hospital today for ct scan and staff were brilliant made me feel so at ease first class

Visited in May 2018. Posted on 01 May 2018

University Hospital Of Hartlepool replied on 02 May 2018

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment on NHS Choices. Your kind comments will be forwarded to the team involved in your care. Please accept our good wishes for the future.

Brief Encounter

We visited here after going to another urgent care centre where they suspected our son needed an X-ray! We came here in the hope they would X-ray his hand sooner than the following day! The receptionist first of all did not listen and just booked us in and asked to take a seat! I found it strange that despite attending a different urgent care they would not then use this to give us an X-ray!
As we were waiting, I witnessed something that I could simply not believe from so called professionals! A lady came in with her son who was distressed and breathing heavily! She told them his sister had kicked him in the chest and knocked him out! The receptionists then told her to take him to A & E due to him losing consicousness. They sent her away to drive over half an hr away to A &E! In my opinion tht little boy should of been assessed even briefly for the seriousness of his condition and an assessment made if in fact it was not safe for the mam to drive him to A &E or perhaps call an ambulance! No assessment took place of that little boy before that advice had been given! I do work within an acute setting in the NHS myself and found what I witnessed to really shock me! It was a display of poor care! At that point I made the decision to leave, as I would not have felt safe with them assessing my little boy! I will not return to this centre for any reason! What I saw really angered me!

Visited in May 2018. Posted on 17 May 2018

University Hospital Of Hartlepool replied on 24 May 2018

Thank you for contacting NHS Choices. To enable the Trust to investigate your concerns about your son's care could you please contact the Patient Experience Team on 01642 624719 or e mail patientexperience@nth.nhs.uk.

A shame when one lets down all

I visited the urgent care centre after being referred by 111 who I had phoned for some advice. I waited for 55 minutes after my pre-booked appointment but this was somewhat understandable given that an emergency came in around 30 mins after I was scheduled to be seen.

I was seen by someone I assume to be a nurse. I do not disagree with her diagnosis as she is the medical professional however her attitude left a lot to be desired. Although she may not have believed that my condition warranted a visit to the Urgent Care Centre, she came across, in my opinion, as unprofessional with her highly patronising tone. I reminded her that I had not self-referred, I had been referred by 111 whose judgement I had trusted based upon the honest answers I had given to their questions. The nurse then told me that if my condition got worse and I couldn’t walk or talk, to go to A&E which is approximately 25 minutes away. If my condition was to worsen to that degree, I would assume the sensible advice would be to phone 999 therefore I found her advice somewhat concerning. However, it wasn’t her advice that concerned me the most but the way in which she was delivering it - we mayaswell have told me that I had clearly wasted her time.

I’d like to think that the other people who work here have a much more respectful tone with their patients and that this nurse doesn’t represent the majority. One of the doctors certainly seemed to spring to action when the emergency situation arose. However, if this is how I was treated when I was referred by someone else (rightly or wrongly), I dread to think how some people are spoken to upon self-referral. The fact of the matter is that, in a front line role in the NHS, communication skills should be strong and professionals should be competent to use a tone which is respectful to all patients, regardless of their age or social status.

Visited in May 2018. Posted on 29 May 2018

University Hospital Of Hartlepool replied on 30 May 2018

Tia Thornhill gave Urgent care centre at University Hospital Of Hartlepool a rating of 2 stars

Urgent care hartlepool

I have just been to the urgent care in Hartlepool and the Nurse was rude, dismissive and didn’t have any time for me to explain the background of my condition. I left feeling frustrated.

Visited in May 2018. Posted on 30 May 2018