Kent and Canterbury Hospital

01227 766877 Kent and Canterbury Hospital, Ethelbert Road , Canterbury, Kent, CT1 3NG

S H gave Ophthalmology at Kent and Canterbury Hospital a rating of 5 stars

First class treatment

This year i have needed to visit both Kent & Canterbury Hospital and William Harvery Hospital over 20 times after a eye operation in January 17, to help stabalise my life long glaucome. I got an appointment through for the procedure in a matter of weeks and even though it was a long road to recover the staff, consultants and all involved have been superb. I had many ongoing appointments and was always "fitten in" tot he busy appointment schedule. Even the consultants i saw managed to fit me in at very short notice. Although the waiting times at William Harvey where always long (as it was a very busy clinic) I got seen and never felt that the consultants where rushing. The service from KAB support staff was also excellant and i hope that this will continue where patients need extra emotional support when dealing with long term eye conditions. I was extremely lucky to have such expertise of nurses and Consultants in this department right on my doorstep.

n another note, please remember people with visual disabilities may have trouble readin letters from the hospital and consider the option of large print or constrasting text to help make life easier.

Visited in October 2017. Posted on 05 October 2017

Kent and Canterbury Hospital replied on 06 October 2017

Thank you very much for leaving your feedback, the Ophthalmology team will be really pleased to receive this. I have spoken to the surgical team about the information and if it can be provided in different print/colours and this is something they will take forward. Kind regards.

carol setterfield gave Dermatology at Kent and Canterbury Hospital a rating of 5 stars

removal of a cancerious skin sore

I would like to say how lovely & kind the doctor & their two lovely nurses were on Friday 6th Oct at 2.45 when I had a cancer removed on my back ,the consideration they all showed me put me at ease , as when your entering the unknown can be a little scary so a big thank you to the Kent & Canterbury dermatology unit ,I could not fault you.

Visited in October 2017. Posted on 08 October 2017

Kent and Canterbury Hospital replied on 09 October 2017

Thank you very much for leaving such lovely feedback, I hope you are making a good recovery. We will of course make sure the team receive your comments. Kind regards.

Anonymous gave Diagnostic Imaging at Kent and Canterbury Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Early pregnancy unit

I was booked in for an early pregnancy scan at 9am, checked in at the early pregnancy unit and was told to go to ultrasound for my scan. Nearly two hours later around 15 other patients have been seen before me when my appointment was 9am! The room is full of bright flurouscent lights giving me a migraine.

I have eventually had to ask when I will be seen as I have waited so long. Member of staff seemed uninterested and annoyed that I asked and offered no apology.

If my appointment was 9am I see no reasonable reason that so many others were seen before me. Maybe you should let people know the wait time so they can prepare and not sit here having drink lots of water as asked.

Disgusting treatment and the worst hospital I have been in to date.

Visited in October 2017. Posted on 11 October 2017

Kent and Canterbury Hospital replied on 16 October 2017

I am very sorry you had a wait for your scan. Could you please contact the PALS team so we can look into this further for you. We will pass your comments on to the Early Pregnancy Unit so they can look to see how they can make any changes to their service. The PALS team can be contacted on ekh-tr.pals@nhs.net or 01227 783145/86314 Many thanks.

elaine egan reviewed Oncology - Medical at Kent and Canterbury Hospital

Lack of information on Oncology Unit

For three consecutive weeks my husband has arrived for Chemo, at the appointed time and has waited one and a half to two and a half hours before being called.Today,we arrived tat the Unit at 10-30 as per schedule and waited 90 mins. before the receptionist told us his schedule was changed 3 weeks ago and must have forgotten to inform my husband.We have been furious at the off-hand manner and lack of apology . His drugs did not arrive today until 3pm and he arrived home exhausted,hungry and depressed.

Visited in October 2017. Posted on 16 October 2017

Kent and Canterbury Hospital replied on 18 October 2017

I am so sorry to hear about what happened to you and your husband, I can understand why you were both furious. I will pass your comments onto the Oncology team for them to consider, however, we would like to look into this further for you. Could you please contact the PALS team. You can do this by:

Email: ekh-tr.pals@nhs.net
Phone: 01227 783145/864314
Website: https://www.ekhuft.nhs.uk/patients-and-visitors/information-for-patients/patient-experience-team-and-pals/making-a-complaint/complaint-form/

Once again, please accept our apologies.

Chris Reynolds gave Urology at Kent and Canterbury Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Kidney cancer 2017

A question mark was raised at my pilots medical in mid July about a trace of blood in my urine and I was referred back to my GP for a further check. They confirmed and fast tracked me to Urology at Folkestone where Ultrasound found a 6.5cm x 6.5cm lump on my left kidney. I was experiencing no symptoms of pain or discomfort. I was sent for a CT scan at the William Harvey which took less than 30 minutes and then saw a Consultant at Kent and Canterbury Urology Dept on 24th August. They confirmed that the growth was cancerous, but they were of the opinion that it was only attached to the kidney and therefore could be totally removed by surgery and there should be no need for further treatment. They considered speed to be of the essence and I was booked for surgery on 4th Sept at K and C. Hospital.
I was on Clarke Ward where the staff were all very friendly and helpful, The anaesthetist came round and talked through their side of the procedure and then the Consultant saw me at about 1.30 and said all set for 15 minutes time. It all happened very quickly from then on and I do not remember much more until lying in recovery and then back to the ward. The pain control was excellent and I slept well and the nurses helped me to get up mid morning and begin to move around. The target was to be discharged that evening which depended on bladder activity, which was slow to get started. However it was decided to discharge me with a catheter after only 36hrs in hospital
The fist few days at home were spent resting and gradually reducing pain control, also some walking .every day. By day 6 I was off medication and walking 1.5-2miles per day, I felt this was a very important part of the mending process. I was back on office work in the second week and gently rebuilding stomach muscles, the wounds had healed very well.
I was fully back at work in week 3 but very careful about lifting.
My consultation on 5th October with the Consultant confirmed their initial thoughts that they had fully contained and removed the offending tumour. They consider that I should make a full recovery and will be monitored by CT scan at 6mths and intervals after that.
I cannot praise the whole NHS staff enough for the speed and efficiency with which they have dealt with my cancer.
Full marks !
All I need now is to revalidate my Pilots licence.

Visited in September 2017. Posted on 05 October 2017

Kent and Canterbury Hospital replied on 16 October 2017

Thank you very much for letting us know about the efficient service you received. We will pass your kind comments onto both the surgical team and the ward staff. We hope you are still recovering well. Kind regards.

Obiku gave Urology at Kent and Canterbury Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Robotic Partial Nephrectomy

The consultant from time of diagnosis to final treatment showed high level of knowledge on subject matter and was quite clear on the course of treatment. This level of confidence from the treating consultant was reassuring and gave me rest of mind.

The preparation for the procedure was very professional and post ops care was also very good. There was excellent pain management. I left the hospital following day after the procedure.

The staff at the Clarke ward were very friendly and helpful. There was excellent coordination in the team.

Visited in September 2017. Posted on 06 October 2017

Kent and Canterbury Hospital replied on 06 October 2017

Thank you for leaving your feedback, it's great to hear you had such a positive experience. We will pass your comments on the surgical and Clarke ward teams. I hope you have made a full recovery. Kind regards.

Cupcake gave Child health care services at Kent and Canterbury Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Simply the best

We had to obtain a blood sample for my needle phobic and extremely anxious daughter today.
The nurse and assistant staff made us welcome and the sample was taken quickly and without further trauma to a frightened young girl.
A lot of other departments in the NHS could learn a lot from the finely honed skills and high levels of empathy and understanding shown to all the patients in their care.
We need more of these specialised teams not less and for traumatised young people needing blood tests their individual approach h fits the bill every time .
As they say if it ain't broke don't fix it. ...

Hospital managers take note this service is gold standard and meets the complex needs of children and deserves the good reviews it gets .

Visited in September 2017. Posted on 01 September 2017

Kent and Canterbury Hospital replied on 15 September 2017

Thank you very much for your kind feedback, we will pass your comments on to the team. I'm pleased to hear your daughter had a positive experience during a difficult situation for her.

Peter White gave Kent and Canterbury Hospital a rating of 4 stars

Hearing test

Excellent and friendly service. On time and extremely professional

Visited in September 2017. Posted on 08 September 2017

Kent and Canterbury Hospital replied on 15 September 2017

Thank you for your positive feedback, we will pass your comments on to the Audiology team.

Norman Waghorn gave Ophthalmology at Kent and Canterbury Hospital a rating of 3 stars

Coordination between Consultants and admin staff

Consultants mean well .My wife had cornea graft fail due to irregular appointments.On second graft consultant insists she is checked more regular.Told come back in 2 weeks....appointment comes in post for a Month later.Told to call Secretary if we get a problem and all day I get answer machine.

Its seems Consultants think in a different world to actual reality.

Visited in September 2017. Posted on 21 September 2017

Kent and Canterbury Hospital replied on 25 September 2017

I am sorry you and your wife have had a difficult experience. If you would like us to look into this further for you, please contact the PALS team. You can contact them by:

Email: ekh-tr.pals@nhs.net
Phone: 01227 783145 or 864314

Kind regards.

Anonymous gave Diagnostic Imaging at Kent and Canterbury Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Great service but just a suggestion ...

Before my MRI scan, I was rightfully asked to remove all metals e.g. Earrings, watch, finger rings. Can I just suggest that you also ask for any hospital car park ticket to be safely stowed? Because mine was in my trouser pocket. On trying to pay for my parking using the pay machine outside main Reception, the machine consistently refused the card, saying it was inserted the wrong way. I tried inserting the card 8 times in the full range of insertion possibilities, but no go. I am assuming that the card was demagnetised in the MRI scan.

Visited in September 2017. Posted on 22 September 2017

Kent and Canterbury Hospital replied on 25 September 2017

I am sorry to hear you had a problem with your parking ticket. I will raise this issue with the MRI scan team. Many thanks for letting us know.