The Royal Victoria Infirmary

0191 233 6161 Queen Victoria Road, New Victoria Wing, Royal Victoria Infirmary , Newcastle Upon Tyne, NE1 4LP

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at The Royal Victoria Infirmary a rating of 5 stars

Excellent A & E staff

I was admitted to A & E on a Tuesday morning with severe abdominal pains, vomiting etc. It's a condition I've had before, which comes on with amazing rapidity,and as I was at work when taken ill, I ended up at the RVI, not a hospital I've ever been to as a patient before.

I was checked in immediately and had an initial assessment and bloods taken within twenty minutes of arrival. I was in A & E for a total of 7 hours during which time I received treatment for my condition, had an X-Ray, a scan and intravenous fluids/pain relief.

I couldn't have been treated better or with more care or efficiency.

The staff worked together really well as a team and were all friendly, capable and informative.

I was kept aware of everything that was happening, which I think is very important.

It was clearly busy, but the overall feeling was of a very smoothly operating unit. All of the staff involved in my treatment were lovely. I was genuinely impressed, and grateful for the care received.

Visited in November 2017. Posted on 16 November 2017

The Royal Victoria Infirmary replied on 20 November 2017

Thank you so much for you very positive comments regarding your recent attendance at the Emergency Department at the RVI Newcastle. We are pleased you found the team to work collaboratively and that you remained well cared for and informed throughout your visit. We will share your comments with all members of the team and hope you are now feeling better.

AR gave Orthopaedics at The Royal Victoria Infirmary a rating of 5 stars

Spinal Surgery Ward 42

Just had spinal surgery on ward 42. I was very anxious about the surgery and about the stay in hospital.I dont like staying in hospital. However, I couldn't fault the care I received. My stay was brief, which I was delighted about, and I'm recovering well. A positive experience in spite of my negative expectations.

Visited in November 2017. Posted on 17 November 2017

The Royal Victoria Infirmary replied on 23 November 2017

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your review on the NHS Choices website regarding our Musculoskeletal Services. We would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your extremely kind words regarding the care you received during your recent stay on Ward 42, Royal Victoria Infirmary and we are glad to hear that you are recovering well.

It is always extremely pleasing to receive such positive comments like this, which provide us with reassurance that our services meet the high standards we consistently strive for. Please be assured that your comments have been shared with all staff on Ward 42 involved in your care, who appreciate your positive feedback.

Christine Watson gave Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery at The Royal Victoria Infirmary a rating of 5 stars

5* treatment

I recently had a short stay in Ward 20 (maxillo-facial) and I can honestly say, with 46 year's experience as a patient, it was one of the happiest, most competent wards I've been on. Nursing and medical staff are approachable, helpful, pleasant and kind. Clinical care is superb. My rating? 10 out of 10!

Visited in November 2017. Posted on 17 November 2017

The Royal Victoria Infirmary replied on 27 November 2017

Thank you for taking the time in leaving positive feedback regarding your recent stay on Ward 20 following your procedure at Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, RVI. We have conveyed your appreciation to both the ward team and the Oral and Maxillofacial surgery team who provided your care and appreciate your kind words.

Hayley gave Gynaecology at The Royal Victoria Infirmary a rating of 5 stars

Universality nurse ward 40

I would just like to thank all of the staff in ward 40,for taking care of me on the 14/11 when I was in for a tube tie.
I was in and out the same day and have to say the nurse was amazing making me feel safe and welcome.

After my operation I felt really unwell and very dizzy and light headed and this nurse was always there to help with whatever I needed.

I know these wards can get very busy and other patients need attention but the nurse was so good helping me get through the day.

This nurse is a credit to the staff

Visited in November 2017. Posted on 18 November 2017

The Royal Victoria Infirmary has not yet replied.

Ray Connor gave Neurosurgery at The Royal Victoria Infirmary a rating of 5 stars

Spinal surgery

I had spinal surgery on 29nov and from arriving at neuro ward to recovering on ward 16 I can only describe my care as magnificent ! From the.surgeon to the cleaning staff everyone was very professional and pleasant food was delicious , I'm extremely satisfied with the outcome of my operation so far ,I always was kept informed of what was going to happen and this took away a lot of trepidation about my operation .thanks again to all the staff involved in my care and my recovery is going very well because of your professionalism and dedication thank you RAY CONNOR

Visited in November 2017. Posted on 05 December 2017

The Royal Victoria Infirmary replied on 12 December 2017

Thank you for taking the time to share such positive feedback relating to your recent admission to Ward 16, Neurosurgery at the RVI. We are delighted to read that you felt your care was magnificent and that you found the team to be professional and dedicated and we are also pleased to note that you found the food to be of a high standard.

We would like to wish you well with your ongoing recovery from surgery and advise you that your feedback will be shared with the relevant teams involved in your care and our catering team.

Anonymous gave Gynaecology at The Royal Victoria Infirmary a rating of 5 stars

Women’s Health Unit

I attended the Women’s Health Unit earlier this week for a Hysteroscopy and direct edometrial biopsy.
From the start of my appointment at reception, all of the staff there were so reassuring and kind to me. Although I was nervous for this procedure, everything was explained to me by my consultant and one of the nurses, who both provided excellent care, ensured my dignity was maintained throughout and that I knew what was happening and when I would receive the results of the biopsies. This I feel makes such a difference when you’re having this kind of procedure done.
When I left the department I felt very faint and received excellent care from another staff member, who came to help me in the car park and brought me back to the Women’s Health Unit where I stayed and was looked after until I’d improved.
I really feel that staff in this department go above and beyond for patients and I can’t thank them enough for how well I was treated and looked after.

Visited in November 2017. Posted on 12 November 2017

The Royal Victoria Infirmary replied on 14 November 2017

Thank you so much for taking the time to let us know about the treatment and care you received whilst attending the Women’s Health Unit, RVI in Newcastle. We are delighted to hear your positive feedback about the staff in the unit, who understand that it is so important for women accessing our services to feel comfortable, confident and well cared for and we are delighted that this was your experience. It is also pleasing to hear that, outside of the clinical area, a member of staff in the Trust also looked after you when you felt unwell in the car park and made sure you returned safely to the unit.

James gave Maternity services at The Royal Victoria Infirmary a rating of 5 stars

Great Care - Maternity Unit

Excellent care from the maternity unit - kind, caring, professional.

Visited in November 2017. Posted on 13 November 2017

The Royal Victoria Infirmary replied on 17 November 2017

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your positive review of the Maternity unit at the RVI. The team constantly strive to give the best possible care to all of our patients and families and we are so pleased to see that this was your experience of using the service. We will ensure your kind words are fed back to all members of the team.

Big mack gave Neurosurgery at The Royal Victoria Infirmary a rating of 5 stars

Ward 16 and consultants. thank u

Hi there I had a spinal abscess I couldn't even get out of bed by myself I went for mri scan at South tyneside hospital then was immediately rushed to the RVI in Newcastle the ward 16 staff from nurses to cleaner's were brilliant even though I'm hard work at time's. My consultant was very good as well as infectious disease team. I'm just hoping my mri scan shows I'm in the clear thanks for reading David Mckegney

Visited in October 2017. Posted on 03 October 2017

The Royal Victoria Infirmary replied on 13 October 2017

Thank you for taking the time to share such positive feedback with regards to the members of staff you encountered on Ward 16 at Neurosurgery, RVI. We are delighted that your experience of the various staff groups was “brilliant” and that you also had a good experience when encountering members of the Infectious Diseases Team.

We would like to wish you the very best with regards to your future diagnostic tests and assure you that your positive feedback and gratitude will be shared with those involved in your care who we know will be encouraged by your kind words and appreciation.

Anonymous gave Maternity services at The Royal Victoria Infirmary a rating of 5 stars

Had our daughter on 4th October 2017

We were taken into labour on the night before the baby birth. Wife had 4cm dilation and then she opted to get Epidural. However after 12 hours the dilation didn’t increase. It was then the doctors decided to do the operation. We all were very anxious and worried as this was our first baby. By the grace of Almighty we had the baby. But I would like to personally put this into public domain that the staff was absolutely fantastic. The midwives involvement throughout was just so heartening. We had felt so much taken care of and all the staff made you felt at home. I have been to many different cocuntries and had the chance to visit different hospitals but the experience we had with the staff here in the 3 days we spent was something I’ll never forget. Me my wife and our little daughter are so thankful for everything.

Visited in October 2017. Posted on 06 October 2017

The Royal Victoria Infirmary replied on 30 October 2017

Thank you for your kind comments regarding your experience at the RVI during the labour and birth of your daughter. We will ensure your positive feedback is shared with staff, who will be very grateful for you taking the time to share your views with us regarding their support and care during your stay with us at Maternity services.

Congratulations to you and your wife on the birth of your daughter.

Tony gave Accident and emergency services at The Royal Victoria Infirmary a rating of 4 stars

Assessment suite and emergency department

From arriving in an ambulance with blue lights after developing what turned out to be atrial fibrillation the ED were just fantastic (except for the blood pressure monitor which needs renewal).i could not fault the care of the ED staff.
Assessment suite staff were very good up until the point of discharge and trying to get information from them was impossible.
You kept me waiting we'll over three hours with continual promises of fast tracking my medication and thyroid result.then I was discharged from the ward to a waiting room in a busy corridor.at no point before I was put in that corridor was I asked if I was being picked up,if I had money for a taxi or if I even had keys for my house and if someone was in.on the ward I told a nurse that my mobile was dead and asked them to contact my next of kin from their records but they did not have his number but still did not ask any questions.i was in a t shirt and shorts with slippers in October.
After multiple promises in a public waiting area that my results and medication were on their way and even an offer to send the medication to my home address did my situation come to light when I asked for transport.a nurse told me to book my own taxi,I told the nurse that I did not have any money (with a lot of people looking), no keys and there was no guarantee that my niece would be in.After more failed promises a nurse said that my niece had been contacted by them and she was on her way.it was at this time that the doctor gave me my thyroid result in a busy corridor with no privacy.the nurse then told me that there might but another long delay for the medication to arrive.i felt stressed at this point and told the nurse to just forget the whole thing and walked out of the building.after being picked up by my niece she told me that she had telephoned the hospital because she was worried which is not what the ward told me.
I telephoned the ward from the car and complained.
The person I Spoke to was unapologetic for the incident and told me to collect the medication the following day.i told them that I needed the medication today and asked them to have it sent to my home address.
The receptionist refused to do this at first saying they do not transport drugs that way.I reminded them that they do and they use 5star taxis on contract. They then had my heart medication transported to my home.
Had I actually been given the medication and blood results on the ward you were quite prepared to see me leave the ward in that state of dress in October with no enquiry as to how I was going to get home even though I had asked the ward to contact my next of kin for whom you did not have the number which is concerning since it had been taken in the ED.
The pharmacist and doctor along with the staff were polite but even they just kept me waiting with failed promises.
Just for the record you use taxis to transport patients,medical staff,platelets/blood,medication,medical records,in fact most everything.
I did not need the stress.

Visited in October 2017. Posted on 07 October 2017

The Royal Victoria Infirmary replied on 25 October 2017

Thank you for providing your detailed feedback on our services at the Emergency Department, RVI and an overall rating of 4 stars. We are sorry to hear of your experience on the Assessment Suit. Any conversations with any Health Professional about personal issues should not occur in a public place, and I would like to apologise that this was your experience. We do aim to ‘fast track’ patients’ medications and blood results, however at busy times this can still take long periods of time and I am sorry if this was not clearly explained to you at the time.

Where possible we do try and get patients to arrange their own transport, and appreciate that this is not always possible. On such occasions the Trust can arrange this on the patient’s behalf, with one option being the use of a taxi, and staff should ask about your ability to access your property as part of the discharge.

We will ensure your feedback is disseminated to the staff, so they can reflect on their practice and to prevent this from occurring in the future. If you would like to discuss this further then please contact the Matron for Assessment Suite & Ambulatory Care, Chris Bill directly on 0191 2139799.