Princess Alexandra Hospital

01279 444455 Hamstel Road , Harlow, Essex, CM20 1QX

J Cornelius gave Accident and emergency services at Princess Alexandra Hospital a rating of 5 stars

With many thanks

I'm writing to provide some positive feedback of my experience I had at the accident and emergency department at the Princess Alexandra Hospital it was necessary for me to attend the A&E department from the 1st to the 2nd of January this year due to a personal health problem and I would like to make a compliment to the staff who treated me during my short visit. The triage nurse was exceptional, very professional and understanding. Unfortunately I did not get a chance to catch her name. I would like to provide my greatest compliments for the professionalism that the Consultant provided and I was very impressed with how both of the members of staff treated me with such dignity and respect. Thank you very much for your great service and for remaining so professional at such a busy time in the department. With Best Regards

Visited in January 2018. Posted on 05 January 2018

Princess Alexandra Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Princess Alexandra Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Absolutely excellent service

I attended A&E with a fractured wrist. Where I was immediately given a red card sent to registration then onto minor injuries. From here I was assessed by a very kind friendly nurse, sent to X-ray Which was shown and explained to me. Then back to minor injuries for local aesthetics, my arm was then “pulled” by three very competent kind friendly nurses then plastered. All stages of my treatment were explained to me with great care and understanding. All staff were so friendly and efficient can’t thank you all enough.
What a wonderful kind friendly team!

Visited in January 2018. Posted on 10 January 2018

Joanne gave Gynaecology at Princess Alexandra Hospital a rating of 5 stars

This hospital has helped me through so much- an ovarian operation, a miscarriage, a cervical stitch, a c-section, colposcopy.
The service has been exemplary in all these departments. I have felt supported, confident in the staff, and my voice heard.
I would wholeheartedly recommend this hospital to anyone who asks and want to pass on my thanks to all the nurses and doctors in the maternity, colposcopy and women's health units. You are all wonderful.

Visited in January 2018. Posted on 11 January 2018

Princess Alexandra Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Princess Alexandra Hospital a rating of 1 stars

28 and a half hours in A&E

My father was left waiting in A&E with suspected bleeding to the brain for 28 and a half hours before being given a bed. Before this he was visited twice (upon request) to be given pain killers. He waited 25 hours for the hospital to do a ct scan. I cannot believe the poor standard of this hospital and fear it is only going to get worse. This is not the staff's fault, this is the government refusing to give adequate funding to hospitals. Utter disgrace.

Visited in January 2018. Posted on 13 January 2018

Princess Alexandra Hospital has not yet replied.

truffle1 gave General Surgery at Princess Alexandra Hospital a rating of 5 stars

excellent professional efficient healthcare

This was my second visit to PAH in a week after having attended earlier Monday with a fractured wrist. I received a phone call Thursday informing surgery was required and attended Friday 7:30am.
I was called to theatre 13:40 by then I was feeling faint after nothing to eat or drink from 10pm the night before. The staff in admissions were thorough kind and efficient and kept me informed best they could as to what time I would be called for surgery.
As the theatre list was changing it was evident I was going to have a wait I was offered a cup of water to be drunk by 11am with a note with my name on to I expect, inform staff.
I did go prepared with my iPod and kindle.
All aspects of the procedure were explained to me and any questions I had answered.
My aftercare in recovery was excellent. I woke with extreme pain and very upset. I was given care and support with immediate pain relief. I was allocated to one nurse who was so caring, for my five hour recovery. Regular obs. were taken and further pain relief.
As time went on pain management was under control. Tea biscuits and sandwiches were offered to me.
I was discharged at 19:50 with care instructions, exercise sheet and two copies of discharge summary one for myself and one for GP
A BIG THANK YOU PAH

Visited in January 2018. Posted on 13 January 2018

Princess Alexandra Hospital has not yet replied.

Denise kidby gave Orthopaedics at Princess Alexandra Hospital a rating of 5 stars

In patient care

Well done to all the staff on Henry Moore I have just had a ankle fushion op all the staff were fantastic. My care was out standing from everyone from the minute I arrived to going to theatre then leaving hospital thank you everyone

Visited in December 2017. Posted on 10 December 2017

Princess Alexandra Hospital has not yet replied.

Visit to accident and emergency

My grandson age 3 weeks attended this A&E last Monday 4th December 2017 at lunchtime with constant vomiting of all his feeds, and after being kept there all day was discharged at 8pm with reflux and meds to treat this. The baby continued to vomit all his feeds the next day and the urinated blood in his nappy. When my daughter phoned the A&E, they advised there was a 4 hour wait time and advised not to bring him. She the decided to take him to Addenbrokes, who said he was completely dehydrated from the constant vomiting and was admitted. An ultrasound scan the revealed a condition called Pyloric Stenosis, which if an ultrasound had been performed at PAH would have detected this rare condition. He was subsequently operated on at Addenbrokes and discharged 4 days later. I appreciate that A&E are stretched to capacity, but my daughter begged for an ultrasound and was dismissed as the child did not appear ill!!! No urine sample was take only bloods. By the time he got to Addenbrokes, he was back to his birth weight, so had lost a pound in weight in two days, as she had had him weighed two days previous.

Visited in December 2017. Posted on 12 December 2017

Princess Alexandra Hospital replied on 14 December 2017

Dear Anonymous,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment about your grandson’s visit to the Children’s Emergency Department on 4 December 2017. Following a discussion with the team who lead Children’s Emergency Department, we would really welcome the opportunity to speak to you about what happened.

In general, we would advise a parent with a 3 week old baby who was concerned about them to seek medical attention, especially if that child had previously been seen by us in the Emergency Department and to come in regardless of the waiting time for treatment as this the correct and safest approach. It is important for us to know from where, and who provided this advice in order to ensure correct advice is being given to children’s families and carers in the future.

I hope that your grandson is now recovering well after his recent surgery. If you do feel able to make contact, please call us on 01279 82 72 11 or email pals@pah.nhs.uk and we will do everything we can to provide an explanation and put things right.

Garry Singers gave Orthopaedics at Princess Alexandra Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Cancellation of Procedure

I arrived at hospital on Monday 11-December at 7 am for my operation which I was extremely nervous about as I had waited all year for. 9 other people were their for various procedures under different consultants. Over a waiting period of two hrs each individual was seen and later informed that due to emergencies over the weekend their operation was cancelled and to go home. They were not happy as we all travelled in poor weather conditions.
This could have been avoided if everyone was told not to attend because of this being the case.
I had to wait in total 3 1/2 hours before being given the same news as I was then the only one left in the waiting area approximately 1 hour after the person before me.
The clear truth was that there were no beds available which is why everything was cancelled which came directly from one of the nurses.
Adding to this I asked that if there was such an emergency in place why was my surgeon sitting in the room beside me in their civilian clothes and not in theatre carrying out operations. The poor individual sent to give us the poor excuse for cancelling was clearly embarrassed at being found out.

This is my fourth time Trying to get this operation done only to find that I am again let down. Frustrated and angry at the poor service mixed communication and excuses given have left a very bitter taste.

I would rather put up with the discomfort than have to put myself through this ordeal again.
I am self employed and do not have the luxury of having sick pay.

If only the truth had been offered before arrival were the comments of quite a few on the day. I have to agree.

Visited in December 2017. Posted on 13 December 2017

Princess Alexandra Hospital replied on 14 December 2017

Dear Mr Singers,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. The day you came into the department, as you say Monday 11 December was an exceptionally challenging day for the Trauma & Orthopaedics (T&O) Team as well as for the Emergency Department overall. This was due to the heavy snowfall over the weekend. As a result we had 17 patients awaiting potential emergency surgery that day, in ED.

As you can imagine, if these patients were not to be operated, this delay would likely have led to serious complications or irreversible harm for those individuals. This is something we would wish to avoid and so these procedures have to be prioritised.

I do also genuinely appreciate this must have been very frustrating for you and so having spoken to the Surgical Service Management team (the team who manage surgical and theatre lists at the hospital and will have advised you of the cancellation) they are keen to resolve this for you. If you feel able to do so, please call us on 01279 82 72 11 or email pals@pah.nhs.uk.

Anonymous gave Ear, Nose & Throat at Princess Alexandra Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Have to fight every step of the way

My experience started in a and e with pains in my ear so bad I had to be given morphine. The doctor told me he had no idea what was wrong with my ear and I had to be given a ENT appointment. I had to fight to be given antibiotics and pain killers and finally got some after they realised I wouldn't take no for an answer.

I want to make it clear that the last time I have used the NHS was two years ago. I wan genuinely healthy and don't use the NHS unless I am really sick.

I didn't receive a letter or any information on my appointment day or time. I had to ring up. It was for two weeks later at the emergency ENT clinic. I find this crazy that you can give an emergency appointment two weeks after the initial problem.

Im currently in the waiting room and been waiting 2+ hours with no nurse willing to communicate how long roughly it will be.

Visited in December 2017. Posted on 13 December 2017

Princess Alexandra Hospital replied on 29 December 2017

Dear Anonymous,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I have shared this with the team in ENT and they were disappointed about the quality of your experience. ENT have a member of staff who regularly updates patients in the waiting area, no matter how long the wait might be.

Although there is no way for us to respond to your comment regarding the urgency of your condition, you clearly feel this should have been sooner and so we could have responded better to this concern. Please do contact us if you feel able to do so, in order that we can investigate further as I do believe we could learn from your experience, prevent a recurrence and improve services in the future. Our number is 01279 82 72 11 or email pals@pah.nhs.uk.

Matthew Lowers gave Children's & Adolescent Services at Princess Alexandra Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Waiting time in children A&E

On 14th of December around 12:30 midnight I I arrived with son at Alexandra Hospital.
He was unwell and with temperature of 39.7 we've been seen by a nurse and he was given paracetamol and ibuprofen after that for two hours waiting there nothing was happening the child was getting worse when we gone to the nurses to ask what's happening they said the system crashed and they actually don't have a doctor on guard.
Considering that we decided to go home as he was not receiving any care ,the nurse said we need to sign some forms to be able to go home. And eventually told us that our son heart rate was very high as his temperature and she advised us to stay and see a doctor as will happen very soon, we waited another three hours to be seen by Doctor.
In the waiting area was not even close to clean
All together a bad experience.

Visited in December 2017. Posted on 15 December 2017

Princess Alexandra Hospital replied on 29 December 2017

Dear Mr Lowers,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment.

There are nurses and doctors in the Emergency Department 24 hours a day and so nurses and doctors will have been aware of your son's condition and trying to get to him as soon as possible given the context and prioritisation decisions they have to make. It is completely unacceptable that the space was not clean and so if you alert a member of staff we do have staff available throughout the night and day to clean in public areas.

Once again, I am sorry you had a difficult experience, please do get in touch if you feel able to do so, in order that we can further investigate what has happened. The number to contact is 01279 82 72 11 or send a message to pals@pah.nhs.uk