Princess Alexandra Hospital

01279 444455 Hamstel Road , Harlow, Essex, CM20 1QX

arturo b. gave Major trauma at Princess Alexandra Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Have been to the hospital quite a few times over the past year or so and have nothing but praise for both the staff and the treatment/s I have received. Such a shame there are so many negatives in the press about the NHS when my experiences have been anything but. Twice recent appoints have been seen before time and dealt with efficiently and in a friendly manner.

Visited in October 2017. Posted on 17 October 2017

Princess Alexandra Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Maternity services at Princess Alexandra Hospital a rating of 2 stars

Induction for reduced movements

26th September - Booked in for induction. Induction started later that afternoon. Staff seemed friendly.

27th September - 24 hour pesserie did not take affect so was given the 6 hour pesserie. Later that evening I had contractions. Was told by midwives that labour ward was to busy for me to go in so midwife gave me codydramol as pain relief which slowed my labour down.

28th September - as previous night my contractions stopped I was given the second 6 hour pesserie and the same happened my contractions started but was told again by midwife that labour ward is to busy and they will give me oramorph to calm things down.

29th September - I felt very down and lonely. Wondering the hospital, seeing all these babies being born, trying to have my partner at the hospital with me as well as look after our 2 year old at home. Come that night was greeted by another midwife who said they would get me on the Labour ward so they could break my waters so my labour could get going. They gave me a stretch and sweep which was so uncomfortable it made me cry. Was not taken into the labour ward that night and midwife had gone home with no update.

30th September - greeted by another midwife I explained my situation that I had been there for so long now I just wanted to discharge myself and go home! They sat and had a chat with me, went away and come back to tell me they are taking me into the labour ward and they are going to break my waters today and that's it. And that's when it all started.

After my labour myself, baby and baby's father went to birthing unit. Got a little rest over night and went home that day.

After my experience and the hospital not only did my contractions get slowed down twice! The person who fitted my canular bruised my arm and left someone else to put it in as they couldn't find my vein properly. I had to ask several times to go on the monitor to check babies movements. Not midwife was reassuring. I was constantly asking for my water jug to be filled up. I was gave false hope on the 29th when I was told I would be taken in to labour ward that night. After my labour as I had burst blood vessels rash on my shoulders upwards and in my eyes I was told by the midwife to take piriton as it could be a allergic reaction. My canular in my hand was left I had to ask 3 times for someone to take it out. It was hurting so much I couldn't pick my own baby up! The few days that I had in Chamberlain ward was unpleasant. I didn't feel like I was being looked after. No midwife kept me updated on what was happening. Every midwife I had once their shift had finished the midwife would just go and not explain what was happening. It has really upset my and it's been two weeks and I have finally got myself back to me and will try and forget about how awful it really was. Truly upset with this hospital and the staff I had around me.

Visited in September 2017. Posted on 14 October 2017

Princess Alexandra Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave General Surgery at Princess Alexandra Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Fantastic staff

I was admitted to PAH, via emergency services, into Penn ward. All the staff who looked after me were really kind, caring and supportive, despite being incredibly busy. I was amazed to have a CT scan at 4 am.
It seems obvious though, that the hospital is way too small to deal with the ever-growing population in the local area and the car-park capacity is a joke.

Visited in September 2017. Posted on 04 October 2017

Princess Alexandra Hospital replied on 11 October 2017

Thank you for your lovely comment, we do really love our Penn Ward team as they consistently deliver a good service, thank you for taking the time to make a comment and we do appreciate your patience when there are delays or capacity issues.

To assure you, we are working to resolve the demand and supply challenges by asking our teams to work at different times, and we have a longer term plan too to meet the demands of a growing population. We'd be delighted to have you come in to talk to the teams or meet someone who can talk you through our plans, just call us on 01279 82 72 11.

Kerry reviewed Maternity services at Princess Alexandra Hospital

Aftercare.. what aftercare?!

I had my little one on the 14th sept by planned csection. The team in theatre and the midwifes was absolutely amazing I was happy until I was moved to maternity! The only aftercare I had was them checking my blood pressure for there records to show they did work! Not one person checked on baby or me I was on I was meant to be enhanced recovery and I got left all day until 11 at night catheter was meant to be out 6 hours after op I had my baby at 9:58 in the morning and my catheter wasn't removed till 11pm at night. I also feel that people who have had baby's and there little ones are in intensive care should not have to be on the same ward with mothers and there newborns! Two lady's who had babies that were not very well and was in icu was in a bed next to me and could hear my baby one lady asked to go into a private room because she didn't want to be around newborns when she didn't have hers with her and was being charged £60 a night its disgusting! I'm not happy at all with the aftercare and if I was to ever have another baby I would not go back to pah. Leaving a hospital after arguing with a midwife because they were so rude is not acceptable

Visited in September 2017. Posted on 24 September 2017

Dear Kerry,

Great to hear that midwives and theatres did such an excellent job, but really disappointing to read that you felt the checks were less frequent after baby arrived and that one of the midwives was rude and argumentative. We would like to speak to you about this in person if you feel able to do so.

We are limited by the site with regard to where we place new mothers and so please accept our apologies for this, demand has also increased on the service recently with more mothers wanting to give birth here than ever before. Fully appreciate that you might not feel able to do so, but it would make a difference if you were to make contact and provide a little more detail about what happened. You can do that by calling 01279 82 72 11 or emailing pals@pah.nhs.uk.

Please do get in touch.

Jackie Ball gave Accident and emergency services at Princess Alexandra Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Professional and very caring

I was take to PAH on Sunday 24 September by my other half after falling and twisting my ankle which immediately swelled up so much that I could not stand or indeed move.
On arrival he stopped in the area outside A & E in order to find a wheelchair, a passing nurse immediately took charge not only finding a wheelchair but taking me to A & E themself, registering my details and took me to the Minor Injuries Unit on the instruction of the receptionist. The nurse then found my other half and brought him to be with me - I didn't get the nurse's name but they were marvellous.
The 2 nurses at Minor Injuries were very friendly and caring, arranging for me to have X rays and then showing us and explaining the results. Luckily I only had sprained the ankle and damaged the ligaments but I was told how to care for the injury and also that ia Consultant would also review the X rays and call me if necessary.
I was lucky in that I was only there for around 90 minutes, A & E was extremely busy with no beds available and ambulance staff and patients waiting in a corridor but I cannot fault the treatment I received from the nurses at the hospital.

Visited in September 2017. Posted on 26 September 2017

Dear Ms Ball,

Thank you so much for your comment which is hugely appreciated. As you've noted, we are busy at this time of year and so you may notice an increase in the time you have to wait to be seen. We are also refurbishing our Emergency Department and re-siting the team which will also inevitably have some impact, we hope you are able to bear with us as we know that this should have a positive impact on your patient experience once we have completed the works by the beginning of 2018.

It is heartening to read of the approach of staff to your care in these circumstances as we know what a difficult job they do. I will ensure your comments are passed on to team ED. Thanks again and of course do please get in touch if you should need any assistance in future on 01279 82 72 11 or pals@pah.nhs.uk.

jack gave Accident and emergency services at Princess Alexandra Hospital a rating of 2 stars

Visit to A&E on sunday 24?/9/2017

On entering the A&E the waste bin out side was overflowing with rubbish, entered the A&E registered and sat down, the heat in the building was oppressive i needed water the drinks water bottle had bo cups waited an hour for cups to arrive. the W/C had no toi;let paper and paper was all on the floor, i saw people spill drinks on the floor the poor nurses had to clean it so they had to stop what they were donging.
There was a lack of porters to take people to ex ray, and hardly any wheel chairs, the nurses had to hunt them down,
there was no trolley available to hold patients intravenous bags the had to be carried by a nurse or tied to the bed with tape. they only had one doctor on and i had to wait 8 hours to see the doctor having said that a nurse did take bloods.
iDont joke i have visited Cuba a third world country and for equipment and lack of supply i would rate it the same.
The staff are great and do a wonderful job but this hospital i feel the A&E dept is not fit for purpose it needs the staff levels and equipment improving immediately

Visited in September 2017. Posted on 26 September 2017

Dear Jack,

Thank you for feeding back what happened. That is not an acceptable experience and you will be interested to know that we are now taking steps to remedy the delays and improve the environment in the Emergency Department.

A refreshed ED will be going live in Harlow in the next few weeks but please do bear with us whilst the building works continue as we are trying radically improve the flow of patients through the department and completely change your patient experience. Your feedback and that of other patients has contributed to the changes, our Patient Panel (members of the public who have used our services) spent 10 hours in the Department documenting what they believe we needed to do and have their experiences back to the Board.

We hope this does enable us to achieve a transformed patient and visitor experience and so we'd really like to hear from you again if you visit in future to see if any changes have been achieved from your perspective. On the other hand we'd also be very happy to have you come in too so we can explain the changes that are being made. In either case you can call 01279 82 72 11 or email pals@pah.nhs.uk to take up the offer.

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Princess Alexandra Hospital a rating of 3 stars

Harlow hospital!!!

I visited harlow accident and emergency on the 2nd of September 2017. I had some difficulty with breathing and some chest pains. I found it hard to keep down fluids and was vomiting lots.
I have too be honest, I appreciate the fact that the doctors and nurses are under huge pressure and staffing levels and morale are very low.
I did find the waiting times very long, eight hours in total. I found some of the nurses very rude and unprofessional. I understand they are working incredibly long hours, however I was disappointed with the treatment I received. I was further humiliated and belittled in the waiting room by a nurse who I feel had no passion for the job, let alone any kind of compassion for the patients within her care. I will be taken this matter further.

Visited in September 2017. Posted on 03 September 2017

Dear Anonymous,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment as I appreciate how difficult it must be to raise these issues. You are absolutely right to say level of activity, or hours worked are not reasons for abrupt or poor communication and so we would be very keen to hear from you to find out what has happened here.

We can help you take the matter further by contacting us on 01279 82 72 11 or by emailing pals@pah.nhs.uk. My sincere apologies again, we know we do not consistently get things right and we are committed to changing that. We hope to hear from you soon.

Alice gave Maternity services at Princess Alexandra Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Amazing experience

I gave birth to my daughter on 12 Sept at the Labour Ward. I arrived in the morning after what I understand had been an incredibly busy night with the ward at almost full capacity. This was not reflected at all in the amazing care we received from every member of staff we dealt with. The room we were allocated was lovely, much nicer than I was expecting. Large, clean and modern. We had a midwife with us at all times. Everyone who dealt with us were professional, kind, caring, and put us at ease. I really felt we were in safe hands. I was surprised that for most of the labour I found it enjoyable, not something I was expecting. I had to have an induction and I opted for an epidural which really helped. This was administered to me extremely professionalally and was not a bad experience at all. It really did the trick as I was not in pain for a large part of the labour. I was so impressed with everyone who dealt with us.The two midwifes who saw us through labour were amazing. I'm certain their efforts and calm and friendly natures really helped the safe arrival of our little girl. The student with them and their coordinator were great too. The labour turned into an emergency as the umbilical cord got wrapped around baby's neck. The team spotted the problem quickly and acted immediately calling in the Drs straight away. I'd like to praise those Drs too as I'm certain they saved our daughter's life. After the labour we were looked after in the Sampson Ward. The team there were professional, friendly, hard working and I appreciate all the help they gave us. Sorry for the long review but the people working in this department of the hospital are amazing and we can't thank them enough.

Visited in September 2017. Posted on 17 September 2017

Dear Alice,

It is always wonderful to read that our patients have had a good experience despite the pressures staff are under and so thank you for commenting.

Hopefully this will enable other expectant mums to make a decision about where to go for their maternity care. As you will have noticed, the staff are proud of their outstanding rating and are working hard to to maintain this.

Thank you for recognising the exceptional care the Women and Family Team here provide and we look forward to providing ongoing care for you and your family long into the future.

Margaret Barker gave Accident and emergency services at Princess Alexandra Hospital a rating of 5 stars

After a fall

My daughter in law brought me to A&E after I had fallen whilst out walking. My hip was very swollen, painful and I couldn't weightbear.
I was seen by a doctor immediately and sent tor X-rays. I was given medication for pain while we waited for the results. A&E were very busy with patients waiting on trolleys in the corridors yet all the staff were professional and cheerful.
Fortunately I had not broken my hip and after assessment by the Cars team was able to go home. I would like to thank all members of staff for their care and professionalism whilst I was a patient.
The staff in A&E were exemplary despite the sheer volume of work they were experiencing..
I would like to commend the Dr. for their kindness and professionalism.

Visited in September 2017. Posted on 19 September 2017

Princess Alexandra Hospital replied on 11 October 2017

Great to read how quickly you were treated and that you managed to avoid serious harm. As you will have noticed, the team in Emergency Department are working in very challenging conditions at the moment to treat an average of 300 patients a day.

In addition to this we are completely re-configuring the environment inside the department, to improve information, communication and patient flows, so please do bear with us during these changes due to be completed at the beginning of 2018. Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment and we hope you don't have to come back, but if you do please provide more feedback by emailing pals@pah.nhs.uk or leave a comment here.

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Princess Alexandra Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Dirty disgusting hospital

My husband came here yesterday chest pain and pain in his left arm waited 4 hours on a hard chair before he was seen the smell of urine the rubbish and dirt thrown on the floors the rudeness of the staff all I can say is it's a shambles never again

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 15 August 2017

Princess Alexandra Hospital replied on 17 August 2017

Dear Anonymous,

I am so sorry you had this experience, it is not one we expect to provide to any of our community and so my sincere apologies. We are going through a period of refurbishment in order to improve our service to you and we have dedicated staff on hand who will be able to resolve any queries while this work is taking place.

We would be very keen to speak to you to understand what went wrong here and put things right, so if you feel able to do so, please contact 01279 82 72 11 or email pals@pah.nhs.uk.