Princess Alexandra Hospital

01279 444455 Hamstel Road , Harlow, Essex, CM20 1QX

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Princess Alexandra Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Visit to minor injuries department Monday 6th November

I took my daughter Elizabeth with a suspected fractured ankle to the clinic on Monday. The staff were fantastic, especially one member of staff who made her feel very relaxed and comfortable. After an x-ray it was confirmed it wasn't fractured much to her delight. I am just writing to say thank you.

Visited in November 2017. Posted on 07 November 2017

Dear Anonymous,

Thank you for taking the time to say thank you! We know it's often about a little smile, a timely comment or a kind word, all of these make the biggest difference for our patients and so we are really delighted to read your lovely comments.

Anonymous gave Gynaecology at Princess Alexandra Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Joke made in really poor taste

I attended Harlow hospital on 9/11/17 for an embolisation operation in the radiology department. I was seen by a member of staff whose first comment was no beds hah ha, no beds ha ha. When I said I didn’t understand they just laughed and said that was their little joke. I had been waiting the best part of a year for this operation! It had already been cancelled once due to lack of beds. Seriously not funny.

Visited in November 2017. Posted on 11 November 2017

Princess Alexandra Hospital replied on 11 November 2017

Dear Anonymous,

I am genuinely sorry to read the comments made to you which were clearly in very poor taste. Please accept our apologies and if you feel able to do so please make contact so that we can review what happened more fully.

You can do this by calling 01279 827211 or by emailing pals@pah.nhs.uk.

Anonymous reviewed Princess Alexandra Hospital

My grand-daughter was referred to the Paediatric department at Harlow at 2...

My grand-daughter was referred to the Paediatric department at Harlow at 2 weeks of age. She had been breast fed and was having profuse vomiting and loose stools.
They were seen quickly in the Paediatric A&E and triaged as urgent, several doctors attended her and attempted to insert a cannula. When this was unsuccessful, an alternative was tried of giving her fluids with a nasogastric tube, and this was successful. She was admitted for 48 hours observation and antibiotics. While on the Paediatric wards, we were impressed by the electronic PEWS system, and the staff always responded when we asked for help. My daughter was referred to a dietician and put on a special diet. A consultant inserted a cannula for her and did a scan of her heart, for which we were grateful.
When she was discharged, follow up at a local clinic was arranged, but the discharge paperwork was not ready, so my daughter left the ward without it and still had not received it four days later.
May I encourage staff in the ward to write in the baby's red book, which is a document that is intended to enhance communication between the health professionals involved.

Visited in November 2017. Posted on 11 November 2017 using Care Opinion

Dear Anonymous,

So sorry to hear about your grand-daughter and pleased to read she is now out of hospital.

I was especially pleased to read about your comment on the new technology introduced onto the wards (PEWS) and the quick responses from staff when you needed help. We do encourage staff to use the red book and it is our usual practice to give Discharge Summaries to you at discharge, but if we do not do so, we would always send it to your GP. Sorry that was not possible this time, thank you for feeding it back and I have ensured this is passed on to the team.

Laura gave Accident and emergency services at Princess Alexandra Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Paediatric A&E

We came tonight and did not have time to fill out the form on the desk. It was packed full and we were warned at the main A&E that there would be a long wait. The doctors and nurses got through patients so quickly that we were in and out in two hours, including a half an hour observation. However, no patients were rushed, each member of staff was very thorough and calm yet efficient. It was hectic, because of the amount of patients, but all staff were extremely friendly, upbeat and patient.

Visited in November 2017. Posted on 15 November 2017

That's fantastic feedback Laura,

The ED works are not quite completed and so it's great to read that you had such a good experience. In and out in under 4 hours is what we aim to achieve and so 2 hours is wonderful. Please do get in touch if ever you feel in future that you have not had a good experience.

Patient Experience Team are on 01279 82 70 84.

Bell gave Gynaecology at Princess Alexandra Hospital a rating of 4 stars

Melvin ward

My daughter was on Melvin ward, for a stomach operation there. Not all of her treatment was great. However there are some fantastic staff on this ward. One nurse in particular. I can not praise this person highly enough. They clearly has years of experience and runs the ward extremely well. I have
Absolute admiration for them. Sorry I can't mention all the nurses that gave such good care and the ones that didn't. This nurse makes the ward what it is, a very caring and professional lady. Thank u, you truly are special.

Visited in October 2017. Posted on 17 October 2017

Dear Bell,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment and I am sorry not all of the treatment was of a standard you would expect. Thanks also for recognising the fantastic who we too are also very proud of. The Ward Manager Barbara is fantastic and so I will make sure your comments are passed on. Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment.

Anonymous gave Princess Alexandra Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Penn ward

I was in Penn ward for just over 3 weeks with a problem with my gall bladder, the staff on the ward were fantastic this includes the cleaners kitchen staff and everyone else, the nurses were helpful and supportive and made my stay very comfortable.

Visited in October 2017. Posted on 09 November 2017

Princess Alexandra Hospital replied on 20 November 2017

We are fortunate to have such excellent leadership on our wards and Penn really do lead the pack. Thank you so much for leaving a comment, it is hugely appreciated.

arturo b. gave Major trauma at Princess Alexandra Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Have been to the hospital quite a few times over the past year or so and have nothing but praise for both the staff and the treatment/s I have received. Such a shame there are so many negatives in the press about the NHS when my experiences have been anything but. Twice recent appoints have been seen before time and dealt with efficiently and in a friendly manner.

Visited in October 2017. Posted on 17 October 2017

Princess Alexandra Hospital replied on 17 October 2017

Dear Arturo B.,

Thank you so much for your lovely comments which I have passed on to the Emergency Department Trauma Team. Please do not hesitate to get in touch if there is ever anything we can do to resolve any concerns or questions.

Anonymous gave Emergency Abdominal Surgery at Princess Alexandra Hospital a rating of 4 stars

Referred to A&E via gp

Was referred to A&E by my GP on the 12th following a few months of stomach pain suspected appendicitis, I was seen within 50 minutes for obs, bloods and was seen by the oncall surgeon. The staff in A&E were fantastic, they were quick, on the ball and very informative and made you feel very comfortable. I was then sent for fluids and an emergency ultrasound which the surgeon insisted radiology I had on that day, I had the option of walking round or being taken, I chose to walk. When we got there I was in an extreme amount of pain and the staff had offered to take me round to a bed whilst I waited which helped a lot. When having the ultrasound, I was being told everything they were looking for and why and telling me what they could see. After this, I was then wheeled round back to A&E, taken to a bed and told me results. They were sure it was appendicitis so I was admitted in for surgery that night.

I was then taken up to Penn ward and settled in very well, the healthcare assistant was amazing too me ensuring I had everything I needed/wanted. Being young I've never stayed in hospital ever let alone too have surgery so I was very apprehensive but they calmed me down very well and let me parents stay with me that night until they were ready too leave. I was then told that night they weren't 100% sure it was appendicitis so they kept me in overnight to observe me. By 10:30 the next morning I was being taken down to theatre. Again I was fully informed of everything that was happening and was going to happen. From what I can remember in recovery, I was well treated then when back to Penn ward I was dealt with fantastically. Day and night the nurses and hca's were working non-stop! If I had to stay in again for anything, I would certainly be happy enough too.

Cleanliness was excellent
Food was mediocre, I personally didn't enjoy it but then it is hospital food
Only down fall in A&E is that I was almost given penicillin which I'm allergic too until the nurse asked me
Staff were friendly, welcoming and warm and nothing is ever too much for them
Only other complaint is that the ward felt too hot , I know it has too be a certain temp but I was waking up sweating!
TV's also weren't working

After 4days 3nights I was discharged very happy

Visited in October 2017. Posted on 18 October 2017

Princess Alexandra Hospital replied on 27 October 2017

Dear Anonymous,

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment and for the fantastic feedback for such a wide range of staff from the staff in A&E, to the on call surgeon, the radiologists, Penn Ward, nurses and HCAs in theatres, and the cleaning services staff. I will be passing on your concerns about nearly being given penicillin and we will reinforce the message around medication safety to staff.

Really appreciate the lovely comments, thank you again.

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Princess Alexandra Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Colorectal surgeon and no resolution

I am absolutely fuming at the treatment my partner has received from one of the colorectal surgeons and his so called secretary at Harlow hospital. My partner has been in and out of a&e for the past 3 years and each time has had to undergo emergency surgery due to a peranial abscess that keeps coming back. The surgeon/ consultant that he has been assigned has failed to diagnose exactly what is causing these reoccurring abscesses and even gave my partner the all clear until the abscess came back 3 days later and we were back at Harlow a&e. The consultant told my partner to contact their secretary when the abscess came back which he did but the secretary and appointment team at Harlow could not help. 5 operations later in which each time the abscess is drained and 3 appointments with the surgeon, we are still non the wiser as to what is causing the growth. My partner has spent 2 weeks trying to get through to the appointment team at Harlow to book in a colonoscopy. He finally has one next month but has now been told his appointment with the colorectal surgeon has now been moved to next year! My partner will inevitably be back in a&e before this appointment and will no doubt need another operation. I understand that the nhs is stretched but after 3 years of 5 operations, 2 bouts of sepsis and consistent chasing of this colorectal surgeon and their incompetent secretary, I will be putting in a formal complaint. My partner cannot fault the care he has had whilst in a&e but we should not have to be continuously fobbed off by the colorectal department for 3 years.

Visited in October 2017. Posted on 26 October 2017

Princess Alexandra Hospital replied on 27 October 2017

Dear Anonymous,

Thank you for taking the time to write a comment on behalf of your partner. I am so sorry that your partner is not any closer to having this resolved and so we need to work with you to investigate your concerns thoroughly in order to provide assurance about either why this has not happened or what we can do to further assist you.

The Patient Experience Team is on 01279 82 72 11 or at pals@pah.nhs.uk, please get in touch so that we can respond formally to your concerns.

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Princess Alexandra Hospital a rating of 3 stars

Harlow hospital!!!

I visited harlow accident and emergency on the 2nd of September 2017. I had some difficulty with breathing and some chest pains. I found it hard to keep down fluids and was vomiting lots.
I have too be honest, I appreciate the fact that the doctors and nurses are under huge pressure and staffing levels and morale are very low.
I did find the waiting times very long, eight hours in total. I found some of the nurses very rude and unprofessional. I understand they are working incredibly long hours, however I was disappointed with the treatment I received. I was further humiliated and belittled in the waiting room by a nurse who I feel had no passion for the job, let alone any kind of compassion for the patients within her care. I will be taken this matter further.

Visited in September 2017. Posted on 03 September 2017

Princess Alexandra Hospital replied on 11 October 2017

Dear Anonymous,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment as I appreciate how difficult it must be to raise these issues. You are absolutely right to say level of activity, or hours worked are not reasons for abrupt or poor communication and so we would be very keen to hear from you to find out what has happened here.

We can help you take the matter further by contacting us on 01279 82 72 11 or by emailing pals@pah.nhs.uk. My sincere apologies again, we know we do not consistently get things right and we are committed to changing that. We hope to hear from you soon.