Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital

01603 286 286 Colney Lane , Norwich, Norfolk, NR4 7UY

Sue Wilkes gave Accident and emergency services at Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Excellent care

Visited A and E yesterday evening (October 3rd) after a fall during my holiday. Hotel had phoned for an ambulance as I was bleeding profusely from my nose. After an hour a paramedic rang to say it would be several hours before an ambulance could be dispatched as they were very busy. As my nose had by then stopped bleeding we opted go to A & E by taxi. Arrived at 10 p.m, waiting room packed & sent to Minor Injuries, also packed!We anticipated a very long painful wait. Seen at about 11,45! Possible nose fracture + very painful bruised ribs.Aftercare/ followup explained/ advised. BP skyhigh because of the stress which they accepted. All stafffrom the moment we arrived were kind, caring, concerned, smiling despite it being so busy & so late.Back at hotel at 12.15 a.m. Excellent service. Thankyou all staff who dealt with me for your care & making a horrible experience more bearable.
(I look like a prize fighter today 😊)

Visited in October 2017. Posted on 04 October 2017

Sarah Eastwood, PALS Manager, Norfolk and Norwich University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust replied on 16 October 2017

Dear Patient
Thank you for your kind comments about your recent attendance at the hospital. I am pleased to read that staff were kind and caring. I will share this with all staff involved in your care. Thank you for taking the time to post your thanks and praise.
Sarah Eastwood, PALS Manager

Anonymous gave General Surgery at Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital a rating of 3 stars

Appointents at gastroenterology

I recently attended general surgery for assesment prior to gall bladder surgery. (I had previously been diagnosed as having other gastroenterological issues via a CT scan during which it was discovered that I have gall stones which explained part of my various symptoms).I left the appointment completely confused as to whether or not the surgery for the gall stones was really needed although at the time I agreed to it. I have now decided not to go ahead and will cancel my appointment for surgery . I do not know who I saw on the day but I hope I never have to see them again .All in all a very confusing appointment.I

Visited in October 2017. Posted on 05 October 2017

Dear Patient
I am sorry to read your concerns following your recent attendance at the hospital. Please be assured I will share your feedback with senior staff in the hospital. Please contact me on 01603 289045 or at pals@nnuh.nhs.uk if you would like to discuss this further.
Sarah Eastwood, PALS Manager

Lyns gave Dermatology at Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital a rating of 4 stars

Dermatology department - unacceptable

On visiting the department yesterday 5th october 2017, I was at first impressed my appointment was ontime, the Doctor and nurse were brilliant. However afterwards I was asked to sit in reception to wait for my next appointment to be made. Whilst sitting there 3 receptionist all together went for lunch leaving 1 person on desk. One receptionist was sat eating at the desk and was dealing with nurses that came to desk. After 25 mins of sitting there I was getting anxious as I had taken time out of work. It was my nurse that noticed I was sitting there and said to the receptionist why is the patient still sat there. The receptionist stated there was able to make appointments at present. The nurse kindly come over and apologised and said they would send the appointment out to me. Really though what a joke is it that hard for an appointment to be made was the receptionist on the desk incapable and why did 3 go to lunch and leave a person who was incapable and too busy eating than to see to patients sitting there waiting.

Visited in October 2017. Posted on 06 October 2017

Emily Meadowes gave Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital a rating of 1 stars

The worst hospital I've ever had the misfortune of attending

I've been an inpatient 3 times so far, including last week 5/10/17) and in July '17. The communication between staff is dire, & worse between staff and patients. I was asked by A&E if my next of kin was the man I split up with nine years ago. I was asked sarcastically how I expected them to know if I don't tell them. I did tell them. They said they have a different IT system to the rest of the hospital, but I was admitted in July via A&E. They'd managed to update my address, just not my next of kin, despite me saying that contacting my ex would put me in danger.

I had 3 different members of staff this week bang my notes & say, "It's written here!" & all of them claimed it said a different thing. The writing was so appalling I was unable to read it at all.

I'd been told I could go home (without the tests I was supposed to have because they couldn't find the authorisation from the doctor who admitted me). I said I had to confirm I could get a lift (I am a wheelchair user). The ward round doctor said it was ok to stay until the morning if I was unable to arrange transport. I sorted it, then spoke to one of the doctors from the ward round straight after. The doctor said they had completed my discharge paperwork, so I could leave whenever. However, the doctor failed to put this in my notes. The doctor looked extremely tired, so I'm not surprised.

When I went to leave, I was told I couldn't (banging my notes) because I was having a blood test in the morning. Leaving would be classed as 'a a self-discharge'. The following morning I was told that I'd had a cannula in an awkward place overnight (I have bad veins) for absolutely nothing. The doctor I spoke to in the morning insisted that no blood test had been scheduled for me (banging my notes & that I was scheduled to leave that morning. They refused to believe the conversation I'd had with the tired doctor had taken place at all because the doctor hadn't written it up. I said, "But I don't understand..." & they walked off while I was still talking to them. They were the ones in error, yet they thought it perfectly ok to be incredibly rude to me.

This was on the same ward. A ward that I wasn't even supposed to be on because I was moved there by mistake. My breathing was stabilised & I was kicked out, in spite of the doctor who admitted me wanting to rule out a blood clot in my lung & finding the cause of my severe postural hypotension. So nothing serious then :( They all just want to get rid of you as quickly as possible, not cure you or treat you, but to wash their hands of you. If this week had been a one off, I may have given them the benefit of the doubt. But this is just the most recent and the least serious. Every patient I spoke too on every occasion I was an inpatient had a similar tale of woe.

The reason I am here giving a review is because I'm trying to find another hospital to treat my breast cancer. I just don't trust them now :'(

Visited in October 2017. Posted on 08 October 2017

Dear Patient
I write further to the feedback you have given following your attendances at hospital. I am sorry to read your concerns. You can contact our Complaints Team at complaints-team@nnuh.nhs.uk who can fully investigate this and provide you with a written response to the concerns you have raised. Should you wish to discuss this at the first instance, please do not hesitate to contact me on 01603 289045. Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback.

Forever Leeds reviewed Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital

I had excellent care and was treated with respect

I had to be persuaded to have my operation by my family because I didn't want to go into hospital. I was discharged yesterday after a very good experience. I had excellent care, and was treated with respect by very professional and hard working staff. The ward was very clean and the facilities excellent.

Visited in October 2017. Posted on 14 October 2017 using Care Opinion

Bushka reviewed Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital

Waiting facilities

Very recently, I had a routine operation at the Arthur South DPU.
The staff, from first contact with receptionists through to nurses, surgeons and anaesthetists were all courteous, helpful and gave useful information throughout.
However, I had to wait for one and a half hours before initial contact with a nurse in a cold area in very uncomfortable chairs. After a brief interview to collect data from me, I had to wait for a further three and a half hours in the same type of chair - low backed and impossible to sit restfully with any comfort. As I have a painful hip and was Nil By Mouth this experience was very difficult.
My suggestion is that the chairs that are used for this. Very lengthy waiting could be much more comfortable for patients if they were the high-backed type that are used in the waiting areas for clinics, where waiting is usually less than half an hour. At least then one could sit back and rest a little before surgery.

Visited in October 2017. Posted on 14 October 2017 using Care Opinion

Anonymous gave Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

evening validation for disabled parking ticket

I attended for an evening CT scan. There was no receptionist on duty in East wing and a notice directed me to reception in West wing which was quite a walk. Having found an only ordinary parking space at the far end of the East car park it took me 20 minutes to return to the car feeling tired and in pain. Maybe consideration should be given to scanning blue bage barcodes as many car parks can and thus save time and trouble. This could be at an updated pay machine or when leaving the car park. This would also free up receptionist timei n the day too.

Visited in October 2017. Posted on 18 October 2017

Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital has not yet replied.

Antoinette Loveday gave Urology at Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Denton Ward

After an operation last Thursday I was taken to the Denton Ward, if a stay in hospital could be described as caring and thoughtful this was it. Efficient day and night staff, nothing too much trouble for them. Still cheerful after a twelve and half hour stint.
Also thank you for the very tasty meals, and thanks to the person who cleaned our ward with such cheerfulness and diligence.

A very special thanks to my surgeon

Visited in September 2017. Posted on 01 October 2017

Sarah Eastwood, PALS Manager, Norfolk and Norwich University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust replied on 04 October 2017

Dear Patient
Thank you for your email received in PALS. I am pleased to see that staff were caring and kind while you were an inpatient in hospital. I will share this with all involved in your care and thank you for taking the time to write.
I hope you are recovering well.
Sarah Eastwood, PALS Manager

Ralph Hall gave Cardiology at Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Short stay in Kilverstone Ward

I recently spent 5 days in Kilverstone ward for a chest infection. I was so well treated that I have nothing but praise for the nurses and doctors on the ward. My impression was that this is how the NHS should be, and in your case you have succeeded. Thank you all.

Visited in September 2017. Posted on 03 October 2017

Dear Patient
Thank you for your kind comments about your recent inpatient stay. I am pleased to read you received good care during your admission from the nursing and medical staff. I will share this with all involved in your care and I hope you are recovering well.
Sarah Eastwood, PALS Manager

Jaxcats gave Gynaecology at Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Polyp removal by hysteroscopy

I attended on Monday 11th September for a hysteroscopy. When I arrived I was a nervous wreck having read so many scary things about the procedure on Google.

I am posting this in an effort to help anyone feeling as I did whilst waiting for their appointment. My advice to you is DONT WORRY.

The nurses are superb, they are kind and understanding and the doctor was amazing.

I had a large polyp removed and can honestly say I didn't feel a thing except for one twinge near the end of the procedure. I was expecting pain but there wasn't any.

I was treated with total respect and involved with decisions all the way through and left the hospital wondering why I had been so worried and scared.

A huge thanks to all the nurses and doctor involved, you are amazing.

Visited in September 2017. Posted on 13 September 2017

Sarah Eastwood, PALS Manager, Norfolk and Norwich University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust replied on 18 September 2017

Dear Patient
Thank you for your kind comments about your recent attendance at hospital. I am pleased to read that staff were kind and understanding. I will share this with all staff involved in your care and thank you for taking the time to write with your thanks and praise.