Newark Hospital

01636 681681 Boundary Road , Newark, Nottinghamshire, NG24 4DE

woodpidgeon9water reviewed Newark Hospital

Excellent care for mum's cataract surgery

My mum had Cataract Surgery at Newark Hospital in October 2017.
The care she received was excellent, from compassionate and committed Nurses. They explained everything to my mum in terms she would understand - not too technical.
I am a Nurse myself. I was extremely impressed with their care. The surrounding were clean and everyone was extremely helpful. A real NHS credit. Thank you so much.

Visited in November 2017. Posted on 08 November 2017 using Care Opinion

Katie Harris, Patient Experience Facilitator, Sherwood Forest Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust replied on 09 November 2017

Thank you for taking the time to provide such positive feedback. I will ensure your kind comments are passed on to the teams involved in your care as I am sure they will be pleased to read your words of praise. I am very pleased to hear that your mothers procedure went well and myself and staff would like to wish her well in her recovery.

Anonymous gave Urgent care centre at Newark Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Amazing. Thank you.

My 89 year old Father was sen within 10 mins Compassionate care from Dr. Lovely receptionist . Thank you

Visited in November 2017. Posted on 08 November 2017

Katie Harris, Patient Experience Facilitator, Sherwood Forest Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust replied on 10 November 2017

Thank you for taking the time to provide such positive feedback. I will ensure your kind comments are passed on to the teams involved in your care as I am sure they will be pleased to read your words of praise. In the Emergency Department we strive to achieve our targets of the 4 hour wait to be seen by a doctor, therefore we appreciate your kind words and are pleased to here you had a good experience. Thank you again, and I wish your father a speedy recovery.

Anonymous reviewed Urgent care centre at Newark Hospital

Disgusting treatment of a vulnerable person

A neighbour of mine has attended minor injuries this evening after self harming. She has mental health problems and is quite unwell at the moment. On seeing the nurse, she was questioned as to why she had attended there instead of Lincoln as she is from Lincoln. She explained that it is usually quicker and easier to attend Newark as Lincoln is a busy A & E department. She was told she could be waiting hours there despite the waiting time on reception stating 1 hour. She was made to feel like she shouldn't be there and so said she would leave it. The nurse told her that was her choice. My neighbour left still with a deep open wound that had not even been looked at by the nurse. Attending a busy A & E department when she is hearing voices is a very difficult thing to do and as Newark is the nearest minor injury unit and that being all that was needed, I'm pretty certain she had every right to be there and to be treated with compassion. I am now sat with a distraught lady who has tried to superglue her wound herself and who is not willing to attend anywhere for treatment! I am truly shocked by the way she was dealt with.

Visited in November 2017. Posted on 09 November 2017

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. I am so sorry that the services provided were not as you would expect as it is always our aim to provide a quality and effective service. In order to investigate and hopefully help to resolve your concerns, I would be grateful if you could please contact a member of our Patient Experience Team on 01623 672222 or email pet@sfh-tr.nhs.uk, the Patient Experience Office is open Monday to Friday, 8:30am to 6pm and Saturday 9am to 1pm. I pass on apologies that yourself and your friend feel like this way but we are happy to discuss and take any concerns regarding the treatment your friend received.

Clareb gave Cardiology at Newark Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Cardiology Outpatients

I have attended the Cardiology outpatients department on the 9th November 2017 for the first time. I arrived 20 minutes early for my appointment and got parked very easily. I was booked in with efficiency and was only waiting for 5 minutes before I was taken for my height, weight and blood pressure by a wonderful HCSW. I was then asked to wait for my ECG, again I only waited for another 5 minutes and my ECG was assessed by a wonderful person who put me at my ease and was very kind.
I saw the Consultant on time and they asked me to explain what had been occurring with my condition, they listened intently and told me plainly and with kindness what they suspected the issue was. They were very kind and thorough and explained clearly the next steps and what tests needed to be completed in order to come to a conclusion. Sadly they told me that they probably wouldn't see me again as they were leaving (I was saddened by this as they were wonderful) but that I would be followed up in 3 months time after the tests had been completed.
I left the department feeling at I had been listened to and action was being taken for something that I had been very frustrated and nervous about.
I have visited Nark Hospital before for a different department both for myself and for my eldest son and on each occasion I and my son were treated with a great amount of dignity and respect and the treatment we have received both previously and on this occasion for me was outstanding and I cannot thank the staff enough for there care and kindness.

Visited in November 2017. Posted on 10 November 2017

Thank you for taking the time to provide such positive feedback. I will ensure your kind comments are passed on to the teams involved in your care as I am sure they will be pleased to read your words of praise. Thank you again for taking the time to write this post and I hope you are recovering well.

Anonymous gave Diagnostic Endoscopy at Newark Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Examination of Colonoscopy and Gastroscopy

I received excellent care and service. All of the staff were both friendly and very informative of what was going on all of the time.

Visited in November 2017. Posted on 20 November 2017

Katie Harris, Patient Experience Facilitator, Sherwood Forest Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust replied on 28 November 2017

Thank you for taking the time to provide such positive feedback. I will ensure your kind comments are passed on to the teams involved in your care as I am sure they will be pleased to read your words of praise. Thank you again for taking the time to write this post and I wish you well.

Anonymous gave Ear, Nose & Throat at Newark Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Audiology Dept

I wish to thank the staff at the Audiology Department for their courtesy, professionalism and respect when I attended their clinic this week. They were very helpful and made the visit very easy.

Visited in November 2017. Posted on 25 November 2017

Stephen Eyre gave Urgent care centre at Newark Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Great staff & brilliant nurse poor doctor

I was kicked on my knee by a horse, my knee was split and needed stitches.

Receptionist was brilliant, efficient and made me feel relaxed.

The doctor looked at my knee and sent me down for X-ray

X-ray department were brilliant, efficient and fun which again relaxed me. No fractures.

Returned to the doctor who injected me with local annaesthetic and proceeded with the first of my 6 stitches, the first two were extremely painful but the rest I didn't feel. I can only surmise that the Doctor hadn't waited long enough for the anaesthetic to take effect. Resulting in needless and excruciating pain, my watching wife thought I was going pass out.

All stitched up and a sterile patch taped over the hairs on my legs (didn't stick properly). The doctor told us all done and asked me to go to the nurse for a tetanus shot. As we were leaving their room my wife asked how we should take care of the injury at home, perhaps an ice pack or some ibuprofen or pain killer. The doctor advised no ice pack but I could take some ibuprofen and to rest the leg.

That evening, my knee began to hurt. I was in sleepless agony all night, next morning I started to take a 30mg codeine (we had some at home from a previous prescription of my wife's) every 4 hours. I was in slightly less pain if I kept still but the 10m to bathroom almost had me fainting with pain. I thought the pain would start to get less but was getting worse so we called 111 early this morning.

The doctor at 111 was astonished that I hadn't been prescribed pain killers and suggested that my leg should be raised slightly and to use an ice pack, the doctor sorted me out with prescription naproxen and dihydrocodeine. Within 6 hours I was practically pain free and back to my normal self. I can now rest up in comfort whilst my knee mends itself.

The nurse who gave me the tetanus shot was outstanding, knowing I was nervous, they tricked me and I hadn't realised the needle had gone in! (Should be on a doctors salary!).

It was concerning that the 111 nurse advised that I should have gone to QMC and not to Newark as I would then have received a high standard of care.

In summary, I have needlessly endured 2 days and nights of mind bending pain.

I would be most interested in your views and comments.

Stephen Eyre

Visited in October 2017. Posted on 01 October 2017

Patient Experience Coordinator, Patient Experience, Sherwood Forest Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust replied on 02 October 2017

Dear Mr Eyre,
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. I am sorry that the services provided were not as you would expect as it is always our aim to provide a quality and effective service. In order to investigate and hopefully help to resolve your concerns, I would be grateful if you could please contact a member of our Patient Experience Team on 01623 672222 or email pet@sfh-tr.nhs.uk, the Patient Experience Office is open Monday to Friday, 8:30am to 5pm.

S Mallows gave General Surgery at Newark Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Day theatre on Minster Ward

From start to finish, my visit for a minor procedure was dealt with in a most caring and professional way. All staff were genuinely thoughtful and considerate . In a bizarre way, a day at the theatre proved really enjoyable!

Visited in October 2017. Posted on 16 October 2017

Katie Harris, Patient Experience Facilitator, Sherwood Forest Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust replied on 17 October 2017

Trevor c reviewed Newark Hospital

Good service, from receptionists to doctors.

On Saturday night after ringing 111 and waiting over 2 hours for a call back, we called them again as instructed if things changed only to be told someone would call us but if things changed to call them back.
So we gave up and went to Newark Urgent Care Center, they were very busy but we were seen by a nurse and then by the doctor who were both very good and the doctor was very patient and did not rush us. We were out within 2 hours.
Very good service from the receptionist through to the doctor.

Visited in October 2017. Posted on 15 October 2017 using Care Opinion

Thank you for taking the time to provide such positive feedback. I will ensure your kind comments are passed on to the teams involved in your care as I am sure they will be pleased to read your words of praise. Thank you again for taking the time to write this post and I hope you are well.

Anonymous gave Urgent care centre at Newark Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Very unsatisfied with the service ands care

I am very disappointed with a service provided by Newark Hospital A&E Department.

I have been waiting for a very long time for a doctor to see me (in huge pain). Nurse was very impolite and treated me without respect. At some point said to me to "moan quieter". I was sent home with the painkillers (without performing basic blood tests) that never helped. My serious condition (discovered based on various tests) was later treated in Lincoln Hospital. I would recommend travel to Lincoln

Visited in October 2017. Posted on 30 October 2017

Katie Harris, Patient Experience Facilitator, Sherwood Forest Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust replied on 31 October 2017

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. I am sorry to hear that the services provided were not as you would expect as it is always our aim to provide a quality and effective service. In order to investigate and hopefully help to resolve your concerns, I would be grateful if you could please contact a member of our Patient Experience Team on 01623 672222 or email pet@sfh-tr.nhs.uk, the Patient Experience Office is open Monday to Friday, 8:30am to 6pm and Saturday 9am to 1pm.