Scunthorpe General Hospital

01724 282282 Cliff Gardens , Scunthorpe, DN15 7BH

Sarah gave Diagnostic Imaging at Scunthorpe General Hospital a rating of 5 stars

CT scan

I attended for a CT scan this evening and the staff were brilliant. I was very anxious all day and phoned the unit earlier this morning, I was put through to a member of staff who gave good advice over the phone and informed me that they could be available at the time of my appointment if I should need them again.

When I arrived at the blue sky unit, staff could see my anxiety and all staff were kind, caring and very compassionate. They offered such a high standard of care and I now feel that I would no longer be anxious under going that procedure again..Such lovely people and a very positive experience
Sarah

Visited in October 2017. Posted on 08 October 2017

Scunthorpe General Hospital has not yet replied.

Gill Hartley gave Accident and emergency services at Scunthorpe General Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Still touched by the lovely caring treatment I received

Was very anxious about how I would be treated when I attended A and E , after being advised by the Macmillian nurse to get my breathing difficulties checked out. From the minute I arrived and checked in I was treated with respect and caring . The two receptionist on duty were helpful and cheery. The triage nurse and the nurse who did my tests were lovely and reassuring. The Dr I saw was calm clear and patient with me. The second lovely Dr was also lovely , and even though it was clear they were under a lot of pressure made me feel reassured and cared for. The fantastic care I received over the few hours I was there will stay with me for a long long time ... so if the staff are ever having a bad day , we may as patients not appear to be appreciative... but believe me we most certainly are ... thank you from the bottom of my heart !

Visited in October 2017. Posted on 15 October 2017

Scunthorpe General Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Diagnostic Imaging at Scunthorpe General Hospital a rating of 5 stars

mri

I suffer from claustrophobia and had my MRI on the 15th October 2017.I would like to thank all the staff that were involved on that day because without their patience and understanding there would of been no way I would of got through it.

Visited in October 2017. Posted on 18 October 2017

Scunthorpe General Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Respiratory Medicine at Scunthorpe General Hospital a rating of 1 stars

This is a joke

My friend visited the hospital last month, after heat surgery. To be told he may have lung cancer and this was urgent, he was told he would have an appointment within 2 weeks, no appointment yet, so he rang scunthorpe hospital to be told the forms had been sent to Hull, rang hull and they had no idea what he was on about.. no wonder this is now a teaching hospital, think you need to get some new teachers n staff that have at least half an idea of what their doing.. utterly usless

Visited in September 2017. Posted on 09 October 2017

Scunthorpe General Hospital has not yet replied.

James Buddo gave Accident and emergency services at Scunthorpe General Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Excellent A & E

Nearing the end of an enjoyable day visit to North Lincolnshire on Tuesday 6 September I found myself in need of A & E services as a result of a trip and subsequent fall as I made my way back to my car parked in Scunthorpe.
I found the experience at the hands of A & E staff, ambulance crew, doctor, nurses and porters to be reassuring and exceptional.
Their mix of professionalism, sensitivity and humour helped me to turn a traumatic experience into one of admiration and gratitude to the A & E team. Thank you

Visited in September 2017. Posted on 07 September 2017

Scunthorpe General Hospital has not yet replied.

Leeanne gave Accident and emergency services at Scunthorpe General Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Hidden heros!

My son was admitted after falling off his bike and dislocating and braking his arm/elbow. Right from the start the staff at scunthorpe general were amazing , we had to go in resus where two doctors and the antithesis comforted my son, the antithesis was brilliant, they all kept my son very calm explained everything to him and us. After this we were admitted to the Disney ward where the staff carried on the great service, the night staff were lovely and the nurse in the day was fantastic , couldn't do enough for us , whilst being rushed off their feet and cant fprget the porter even they were ace. We are currently still here whilst they decide if to operate on my sons arm . I think credit where credits due and these guys are wonderful at their job!

Visited in September 2017. Posted on 15 September 2017

Scunthorpe General Hospital has not yet replied.

Sarah gave Respiratory Medicine at Scunthorpe General Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Ambulatory care

I had the misfortune to be ill this week but the good fortune that I spent the day in ambulatory care. I cannot rate the care and staff highly enough - the fact that I had all the investigations needed so speedily and then the treatment I required was wonderful. The staff, hospital he trust should be very proud of this service.

Visited in September 2017. Posted on 27 September 2017

Tracey gave Gynaecology at Scunthorpe General Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Gynaecology investigation and procedure

I was referred under the '2 week rule 'to the Gynae Dept in order to rule out an urgent cause. I received my appointment promptly by post with a very informative leaflet of what I should expect at my appointment and of the procedures I would likely have on that day.
On the appointment day, I arrived very early (I have never been to Scunthorpe Hospital before). I anticipated a long wait to be assessed and then to await an unpleasant procedure.
However, in every aspect of the appointment I was impressed. On arrival to the main hospital, both staff and volunteers put themselves forward to ask if I needed assistance to find the cafe/ particular investigation suite/ Gynae Outpatients dept.
I was seen in the first Ultra sound appointment ahead of appointment time and then shortly after in Gynaecology. The two doctors and two nurses in the Gynae procedure clinic were very welcoming, polite and all introduced themselves and shook my hand and throughout the (rather unpleasant) procedure talked to me, offered analgesia which I declined and informed of what they were doing and what symptoms or sensations I may experience.
The follow up advice of what I may expect that day and following few days, my questions were all dealt with in a clearly and caring manner.
I would like the staff and department to have credit for their approach and their care; all too often only negative feedback is given. As a health care professional myself, positive feedback is very important and to know when a service is working well.
At no point in my care, could I make further suggestion for improvement.
Thank you all.

Visited in September 2017. Posted on 05 October 2017

Scunthorpe General Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Scunthorpe General Hospital a rating of 5 stars

A&E

I had to take my little girl to A&E late one evening and the first impression of the waiting area and lovely children's play area was great. You felt like you didn't mind waiting to be seen.

On assessment the nurse was very friendly and informative. The nurse made me feel in safe hands knowing my little girl would be cared for well.

Once through to a bay the Drs could not have been nicer. Everyone seemed so happy and friendly. They explained everything very well and made us feel at ease and like we were not causing a fuss over nothing. They even offered us tea and coffee even though they were very busy!

Luckily after four hours of observations my daughter was allowed to go home.

Wonderful team on that evening (9/8/17) and a big thank you

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 10 August 2017

Anonymous gave Ophthalmology at Scunthorpe General Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Appalling consultation with a locum at the eye clinic

I was referred to the eye clinic by a Doctor in A&E for a full eye check. I attended the clinic on the 29th of August 2017 and was seen by a Locum doctor, who barely spoke, gave the impression that they didn't want to be there, could not be bothered to deal with or investigate my condition and was quite dismissive. Apart from the nurse doing a test to check for dry eyes, the doctor did not even look in my eyes with a light let alone use the diagnostic machines to check my eye health. The test done by the nurse did indicate I had dry eyes and was very helpful in suggesting to the doctor I be given drops to help alleviate this, although I did mention that I had already been using similar products prior to my appointment with no success and that when numbing eyedrops were put in at A&E they made no difference to my pain. However, the Doctor then indicated that the consultation was over. I was extremely concerned over this as they had not addressed the severe pain in my eye or the double vision. When I questioned this the nurse spoke up and suggested that I should be seen by the orthoptist (who had already left for the day) which the doctor agreed to and ended the consultation. I went to the booking desk to book an orthoptist appointment and was asked for the form from the doctor. As they had failed to give me one the nurse had to return to the consulting room to request that they completed the form. The nurse who supported me was extremely empathetic throughout. Although treated for dry eyes, significant pain and double vision can be symptoms of something more serious and I feel it was extremely negligent that the doctor could not even be bothered to look into and check my eye health as would have happened if I had simply visited an optician, which I feel I will now have to do for reassurance, although this may be difficult as I contacted my optician prior to visiting A&E and was told that they would just refer me straight to the hospital with my symptoms for a full eye check.
Due to another health issue I have attended Leeds teaching hospitalis for 20 years where the service/treatment/thoroughness of ivestigations/ attitude of staff has always been excellent. My consultation today has got to be the worst I have ever had in all of my 58 years. The only positive today was the excellent support and empathy shown by the nurse/healthcare professional.
Maybe the answer is to simply go to Leeds this weekend, go to A&E and be seen by a competent professional and receive an appropriate eye examination for my symptoms, but I should not have to feel that way.
It is easy to see why this hospital is failing in it's duty of care for local people - I am just so grateful that the majority of any of my health concerns are dealt with at Leeds.

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 29 August 2017