Essex County Hospital

01206 747474 Lexden Road , Colchester, Essex, CO3 3NB

Christine gave Ophthalmology at Essex County Hospital a rating of 4 stars

Excellent Service

I am amazed at the wonderful service I received for a pre cataract operation. I was seen on time and all three members of staff were very courteous and explained everything to me. My thanks go to three particular members of staff for making me feel so comfortable. I have no worries at all about my future op.

Visited in January 2018. Posted on 12 January 2018

Rosemary gave Ophthalmology at Essex County Hospital a rating of 5 stars

My cataract surgery review

I found with both my cataract operations at short notice, were very satisfactory.
The staff were very nice and kind.
My appointments before and after the surgery were always on time, in fact were earlier as I arrived earlier.

I would recommend this hospital department to anyone.

Many thanks to all at the opthalmic departments.

Visited in January 2018. Posted on 22 January 2018

RebeccaM. gave Ophthalmology at Essex County Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Seen today in emergency clinic - very pleased with service.

Firstly seen by a very nice nurse who asked me how I like to be addressed and then ran through some sight testing.
I then went to see a doctor who was very pleasant and informative. They answered all of my questions in a way that made me feel listened to and confident.
I left feeling very reassured and that time had been taken with me.
Would be very happy to be seen again by this doctor and their team.
Both people were very friendly, personable and made me feel very well informed.

Such a shame that this hospital is closing soon and going over the ACE (so I have been told).

Visited in November 2017. Posted on 21 November 2017

Murph gave Ophthalmology at Essex County Hospital a rating of 2 stars

Can never get through!

I have been trying to get through for over a week but the phone numbers provided are always busy regardless of what time of day I call! How are we supposed to re-arrange appointments when we can never get through??

Visited in October 2017. Posted on 22 November 2017

Anonymous gave Essex County Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Treatment by NHS staff

I wish to write to thank the entire NHS team who asssited myself and my partner when she suffered an prolonged migraine and subsequent fit.

At approximately 0100 hours on Monday 21st September my partner woke me as her was in severe head pain and sickness. My partner suffers from cluster headaches but recognised that this was something different she was experiencing.

Her pain was so extreme that she was clutching her head, screaming and crying. This went on for over and hour before she appeared to go into a seizure. At this stage I called for an ambulance and spoke with the operator. They were brilliant, clear, calm and professional and recognised that the symptoms katy was experiencing could be a migraine. The operator stayed on the line and ran me through lots of questions to establish the facts. They also informed me that an ambulance had been called but was running from chelmsford (we live in Tollesbury which is a good 30 minutes away on a blue light run).

Upon arrival of the LAS, I was greated by the crew. I passed on the brief facts but also informed them that we had our 9 year old in the house and if at all possible, we didn't want to wake her. Again, they were brilliant.... They were practical yet sympathetic and treated my partner and I with respect and dignity. My partner went off to Colchester hospital whilst I took our little one to friends and met her there.

At hospital, my partner was seen immediately and bloods were taken. The nursing staff were so very friendly and kind and even brought us an extra pillow so we could relax whilst we awaited test results.

My partner was later examined by a doctor who was kind, caring yet thorough. They diagnosed my partner as having had a severe migraine and gave help and advice for future treatment and care.

As an acting police inspector with 17 years service, it is very rare that Myself or my family are on the receiving end of NHS treatment, especially emergency care.

We received excellant care and I felt it only right to inform you and pass on my feedback. Please let you staff know they are doing a brilliant job particularily in such demanding times.

Kindest regards

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 22 August 2017

Mike Pilbeam reviewed Essex County Hospital

Excellent X-Ray walk in service

I arrived at 11.45 and was assisted to find a parking space by a very helpful parking attendant. I was directed to the ticket machine and advised if I was going to the X-Ray department that I would only need to purchase 1 hour of parking.
Upon entering the building I immediately knew where to go due to effective wall and floor signage. I presented my documents at reception and was pointed in the direction of the waiting area.
After 10 minutes I was invited into the X-Ray area by a very personable radiographer. They guided me through the procedure and took time to check I was clear about what the procedure would do to assist my GP or specialist to deliver the appropriate response to my condition.
I left the X-Ray Department at approximately 12.30 thinking "what an excellent service"!
As a former chair of a Community Health Council until its demise in 2003 I would have given the service an unreserved "thumbs up".
I put "Don't Know" in your drop down list of Dept's as X-Ray or Imaging services is not listed!

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 31 August 2017

Essex County Hospital replied on 05 September 2017

Thank you for taking the time to leave such positive feedback. I am really pleased that you had a great experience all the way from parking your car to the care and attention you received.
I would really like to be able to share your story with all staff members involved, if you could email info@colchesterhospital.nhs.uk that would be greatly appreciated.

I hope any future contact you may have with the trust is just as positive.
Best wishes
Melissa Dowdeswell
Deputy Director of Nursing

KJR reviewed Essex County Hospital

I was diagnosed with breast cancer in June 2017 and I have to say that the...

I was diagnosed with breast cancer in June 2017 and I have to say that the whole experience was made a lot easier because of a member of staff, who was just so normal, understanding, and supportive. They didn't just treat me like someone in a long line with the same illness; and I really just wanted to say how much I've appreciated them.

Visited in July 2017. Posted on 19 July 2017 using Care Opinion

Essex County Hospital replied on 20 July 2017

Many thanks for your comments and taking the time to submit them. We try really hard to improve our services based on the comments we receive from our patients, their relatives or carers.

I would like to send your comments to the staff concerned. If you haven’t done so already, could you email me, copying and pasting your comments into the email please, so we can pass on your good wishes?

info@colchesterhospital.nhs.uk

Graham Richardson gave Ophthalmology at Essex County Hospital a rating of 3 stars

Ophthalmology appointment

On Saturday 22nd July 2017 I received a letter inviting me to attend Opthamology, Essex County Hodpital on Wednesday 26th July 2017.
I attended for the appointment at the given time and very quickly had an eye test to be followed by a meeting with a consultant at 3.15 pm. I eventually gat to see him at 5.50. I was with them no more than 5 minutes.
Very disappointing.

Visited in July 2017. Posted on 26 July 2017

Jules gave Essex County Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Very caring staff for Nuclear Body Scan.

I took my elderly father for an appointment here, as he is very frail I bought his wheelchair. We did have to wait for a space in the carpark but the attendant was very friendly and directed us to a space. The buildings are pretty dated at the back and remind you somewhat of war time bunkers but I have to say the staff have an obvious pride in their workplace. I used the toilet in it was spotless, which made me glance at other places which were again very clean. The staff were extremely friendly and said my father could stay in his wheelchair for the injection and helped take him in. They gave us all the information we needed and the time that we needed to return. Later after at our actual scan appointment they said not to worry as they would help him, which he confirmed that they were really kind. As we left the staff member who completed the scan opened doors for us and even offered to help us into our car if we needed it. I felt so grateful for such caring and understanding staff. They are a credit to the hospital.

Visited in June 2017. Posted on 14 June 2017

Essex County Hospital replied on 14 July 2017

I would like to send your comments to the staff concerned, could you email me, copying and pasting your comments into the email please, so we can pass on your good wishes?

J Radford reviewed Ophthalmology at Essex County Hospital

Children in Opthalmology

Today I went to take my Grandson for an appointment in the ophthalmology department to check his eye sight after several experiences with high street optitians who found the child difficult to deal with. (he is not a difficult child just impatient)

The ophthalmologist and the optometrist who saw him were kind and patient and willing to discuss the need for eye drops in the given circumstances. He hates eye drops and it makes him quite distressed. He was then seen by two staff members who were charming, pleasant, patient and kind. They both seemed to have the ability to engage with a young boy and get the best out of him,

where he read the lines of the sight test in reverse order they accepted his ability. He still read the letters except U which he didn't seem to like at all.

So thank you.