Colchester General Hospital

01206 747474 Turner Road , Colchester, Essex, CO4 5JL

Howard Dennis gave Gastrointestinal and Liver services at Colchester General Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Bowel screening

An abnormal result from NHS bowel screening required investigation at Colchester Hospital. The process from my notification, the initial screening appointment and then the investigation on Saturday 3/2/18 in Elmstead Endoscopy was superb. All staff from reception to completion were friendly, informative & inspired confidence. An example of slick coordinated teamwork. Thank you.
Howard Dennis

Visited in February 2018. Posted on 07 February 2018

Colchester General Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Colchester General Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Extremely dissatisfied & disappointed:

I took my 11 yr old son on the 9th of Feb around 12.30 -1 pm, to A& E,
(wasn’t busy) and the first response from the attending lady doctor
" why did you bring here?''. Aren't we
supposed to take patients when they are acutely ill and in pain? The
doctor didn't perform the basic examination required attentively,
instead was very rudely commenting and questioning " what do you want
me to do?", " do you think performing investigations will help"? “this
can’t be a cancer, so why are you taking this seriously?

She was not open to discuss the options despite there weren’t any
emergencies for her to attend.

1.Is this the code of conduct of a doctor?

2. Is this the bed side mannerism in front of a child

It is sad this doctor thinks only cancer needs pain relief and investigations.

She should learn not to teach patients as trash!!

Previous encounters at A& E were good. This kind of behavior can’t be
approved anywhere in the world.

Visited in February 2018. Posted on 10 February 2018

Usual don’t care attitude

The main thing that struck me, from the first nurse through to the doctor we saw, was the usual NHS “don’t care” attitude.
We went because my daughter was writhing in severe, sudden stomach pain. Couldn’t get through to GP (told I was in a queue of 6.. what would you do?) so went to A&E (which is actually what your own NHS website recommends for sudden, severe abdominal pain!!) only to be met by the classic, patronising “what are you doing here?” looks.
I’ve no doubt had I got through to my doctor they’d have said go to A&E. Everyone is just trying to fob you off anywhere but themselves because no one really cares. After a long wait and giving endless details (which we had to repeat 3 TIMES!??) The doctor we saw in primary care basically said there was nothing he could do and to go and see our GP. Wait. ...What??? How ridiculous that you should have to go and see your own doctor having already seen one. No wonder the nhs is struggling. Totally pointless and a waste of time, Hospital’s doctor should be able to refer patients on! So now we are taking up another doctor’s appt this afternoon to get my daughter referred, when this could have been done so easily this morning! Doctor didn’t even show any concern whatsoever. He simply did. not. care. Looked like he didn’t even really want to be there. Very disappointing and upsetting. The pain was alarming and real. The fact that it had subsided by the time we reached the hospital is irrelevant. There’s clearly something needs investigating.

Visited in February 2018. Posted on 12 February 2018

Colchester General Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Colchester General Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Wonderful care given to my elderly mother

Last Monday my mother had a terrible fall whilst on her way to the opticians with my father. After receiving initial treatment in A&E, she was kept in EAU for three further nights after a CT scan showed minor bleeds on the brain. My mother is 86 and is beyond the onset stage of Alzheimer's. She is chirpy and usually easy going but being admitted to hospital was not easy. She had moments where her mood dropped, becoming very anxious and confused as to where she was. This once happened as I was leaving and when I alerted the nurse she did not hesitate to step in. When I returned my mother had recovered her spirits and was settled. I cannot thank the hospital and its staff enough for the excellent concern, treatment and care they gave my mother and their willingness to talk to me and discuss her progress.

Visited in February 2018. Posted on 12 February 2018

Care of my mother following A and E admission

My mum was seen as a walk in in A and E on 18/2. She was seen within minutes and treated in majors, then clinical until going on a ward a couple of hours later. She is deaf and each person treating her with respect . All staff were polite, quick in their response and caring. In the 4 days that she was admitted her care was excellent !

Visited in February 2018. Posted on 20 February 2018

Colchester General Hospital has not yet replied.

Crystal gave Emergency Abdominal Surgery at Colchester General Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Most horrendous experience ever!!

I was admitted with emergency gallbladder removal.. From the moment i stepped foot into the hospital hospital. Nobody new what they were doing. The only people to speak to me and explain was the surgeons.. When i got into theatre and was just about to be put to sleep. The surgeon had to ask an auxiliary to go back to my ward and ask why the Extremely important ore op papers had not been filled out correctly.. Whenn the auxiliary returned 20 mins later ..The nurse had still not don't the correct work. So the surgeons apologised to me and encourage me to make a complaint. He then had to wait whilst the auxiliary went right back to the ward and fetch the nurse un question to come down into theatre to correct and explain why she had not completed the paper work correctly.. Which as a result could have been fatal for me..In addition to this life threatening mistake.i was then after my op that had great complications.. My 20 minutes operation took 6 hours. My family were in bits. When i finally got to brightlingsea ward i was in terrible pain due to the top pain relief nit gelling with my body/system.The head nurse was so terribly terribly mast and rude it was beyond comprehension. This was a head staff nurse in the ward telling a registered depressed .high anxiety mental health patient. ( and believe me i have never been through such a depressing painful experience) and i have had an Extremely colourful painful background. This was by far the worst.. When i asked for my curtain to b pulled alittle coz i cldnt move i was barked at and spoken to like an animal. With shock & between moaning and panting like in labour. ( in sheer despicable pain) i asked her to please do not talk to me in that manor. From one end of the ward to the other the head nurse screamd I was ok when i'm bringing you pain relief... and watch your mouth darling because you may need me again later!!!! This devastatingly evil behaviour coming from a head nurse ( a top care giver ) and that is not where it ends!!! I was sent home still in agony with the incorrect medication. A ward nurse took my drainage tube out of my stomach and did not stitch the inch and half wound!!! Not even butterfly stitches when the surgeons clearly told me an hour before that it needs to be stitched!! She just stuck a bit of gauze over it. So upon returning home had soaked green and bloody pads and a incision that was still wide open and only now almost 2weejs later has just begun to close!! The surgeons and all theatre staff were beyond amazing and are awesome. But the women nurses that i experienced on Brightlingsea ward was disgusting ..dirty...uneducated..( for the job they are in) rude.. Spiteful ..uncaring revolting nit just as women and to treat fellow Human beings like this !!! But to also be i a position of caring for other human beings that are in an extremely painful scary episode in thier life .. This behaviour is way beyond acceptable... and is being reported until action is taken !!

Visited in February 2018. Posted on 24 February 2018

Colchester General Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Children's & Adolescent Services at Colchester General Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Paediatric department

Recently had a Paediatric appointment for my 12 year old son. We didn't have to wait too long for the appointment to come through. On the day we went to the department which was very clean and tidy. We didn't have to wait too long. We were seen by a doctor who was very polite and professional and gave my son and I lots of time to discuss the problems. I've since had various follow up letters which again came through in a speedy manner. A great service, thank you.

Visited in January 2018. Posted on 14 February 2018

Anonymous gave Rheumatology at Colchester General Hospital a rating of 2 stars

Rheumatology

Referred July 2017. Seen January 2018. One month later still waiting for letter and results. Individuals not to blame - lack of funding for appropriate resources.

Visited in January 2018. Posted on 08 February 2018

Colchester General Hospital has not yet replied.

1/2dead gave Accident and emergency services at Colchester General Hospital a rating of 1 stars

total incompatance

12 hrs in A&E while the bean counters fight over who will pay for transfer to a london hospital.
the consultants in london had contacted to say unfit to travel by car or public transport, the nurse in A&E gave us a heads up that they are trying to avoid transport but told us to stick to our guns as she could see the need for ambulance transport. when it did arrive had to be transported sitting up despite head and neck surgery as it had not been arranged to transfer on bed, then sent to wrong hospital in London again booked incorrectly so 3 1/2hrs to go 70miles by ambulance!!!!!

Visited in January 2018. Posted on 01 February 2018

Colchester General Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Maternity services at Colchester General Hospital a rating of 4 stars

Ultrasound staff

My husband and I attended the ultrasound department today for our first NHS scan of our first child. An exciting and special time for us both as I'm sure felt by all parents at this time. However due to us being less than 12 weeks we were told we could not have the tests or dating completed today but would have to come back in a week or so. This was not the issue, the issue was the way in which we were spoken to. We had advised we thought we were about 10.5 weeks and were told rather rudely and abruptly that "it would have been good if we could have contacted them to rearrange our appointment", having never had a child before or having any experience in this arena previously obviously my husband and I had no idea we were too early for the tests/dating. Following this the appointment was short, rude and unfriendly and the 2 members of staff's behaviour and manner really spoilt what should have been a special moment for my husband and I which is very disappointing and upsetting. I have a further scan now booked for next week and I really hope that this will be an entirely different experience for us as today doesn't bode well for what's to come.

Visited in January 2018. Posted on 02 January 2018