Luton and Dunstable Hospital

01582 491166 Lewsey Road , Luton, Bedfordshire, LU4 0DZ

Joan gave Accident and emergency services at Luton and Dunstable Hospital a rating of 5 stars

I can’t fault surgical ward the nurses were great

The staff were very good and caring never saw them standing about and very friendly I was in 4 days but never got my scan found that a bit frustrating night staff all very good as well

Visited in November 2017. Posted on 07 November 2017

Luton and Dunstable Hospital replied on 15 November 2017

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback. We are pleased your experience has been a positive one and will pass your comments on to department managers and team.

Anonymous gave Stroke at Luton and Dunstable Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Emergency treatment

Over the past week our family have received incredible service from the NHS - which started with the team of paramedics & then the amazing staff in A&E and has continued in the stroke unit.
From the cleaning staff, to the OT and physios and the specialist stroke nurses & consultants the care, compassion & professionaism is wonderful.
We are truly lucky to have this service locally and are incredibly grateful for them all.

Visited in October 2017. Posted on 24 October 2017

Luton and Dunstable Hospital replied on 15 November 2017

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Luton and Dunstable Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Excellent attention!

My husband took me to A&E at Luton& Dunstable hospital on Tuesday at 6:15 am as I though I may have food poisoning as I was being constantly sick for over 20 hours. We arrived at the and e reception at 6:30 and I was in a ward at 7:15 am! I had been here many times before and on every occasion, I was attended to efficiently and professionally by everyone. The male and female nurses were excellent and some were particularly good, though it was sometimes difficult to communicatel! The only comment I would make is that different doctors were appearing all the time and my husband was getting annoyed with having to go over my symptoms again to different doctors! Otherwise, no complaints and the staff there are just brilliant!. Our doctor was very good; pain management, I think. I started screaming as I had a migraine and they were going to give me paracetamol when sumatriptan is the only thing that would fix it. Within 5 minutes I had been given a sumatriptan injection. Excellent!

Visited in October 2017. Posted on 25 October 2017

Luton and Dunstable Hospital replied on 15 November 2017

NOREEN AMANDA AND CA gave Accident and emergency services at Luton and Dunstable Hospital a rating of 5 stars

My father's care

We would like to let you know how the staff on ward 16 were excellent and so caring to both our late father and ourselves he was treated with such kindness and dignity by everyone from the domestic staff to the doctors that it made his passing a lot easier your staff are a credit to Luton and Dunstable Hospital and the NHS because sometimes a kind word and a caring attitude males all the difference

Visited in October 2017. Posted on 27 October 2017

Mrs G Di Caprio gave Luton and Dunstable Hospital a rating of 4 stars

I have been visiting the Clinic for about a year . My first visit I was very uptight not knowing how I would be treated !! Being Obese I thought there going to. Make me feel fat because I got myself like this and expect the N.H.S fix me !! How wrong was I . From booking in at reception the staff member was so kind and helpful and friendly . To all the Nurses I was me not fat! Then my visit at the end of October . I met my Anaesthesia DR who said 4 time,s (. I counted ). We aim to make you happy and Comfortable from the moment I get to the ward and after . Then my surgeon !! Outstanding . They too said that there Aim is to be comfortable and relaxed . ! And the promise my aftercare was on going . In every visit I have honestly felt at ease . Even himself (. Husband ) who has worried. About all this but he had to admit he knows I'm in the best of hands . Thank you all so very very much . . And February won't come fast enough ! I know I'm a patient and a person

Visited in October 2017. Posted on 15 November 2017

Anonymous gave Cardiology at Luton and Dunstable Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Attitude couldn't be worse.

Upon arrival as an outpatient your reception staff couldn't be bothered with as much as a hello, or the ability to make eye contact.
I could barely understand the doctor, and they seemed in more of a rush to get me out than they did to help me, the nurse/HCA with them did not speak or assist in any way, and looked disgruntled.

I recieved a phone call yesterday from the same rude department after leaving a message explaining that I'd be unable to attend an appointment they had given me. I have never been spoken to worse by someone, they have me in tears. Regardless of whether you work in a shop, or for the nhs, it's CUSTOMER FACING, and you cannot speak to people like dirt. The nhs may be a free service, this does not make it right. I have now spoken with my GP about going to Bupa, to avoid the same disgusting treatment. Unfortunately it isn't the first time I've been disappointed by the grossly negative attitude of nhs staff.

Visited in October 2017. Posted on 04 October 2017

Anonymous gave Gynaecology at Luton and Dunstable Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Reduced to tears by obnoxious examiner during Colposcopy

Attended a Colposcopy appointment today and have been left appalled and quite angry with the attitude of the examiner.

The last Colposcopy I had last year was done by a Nurse who was so kind and reassuring. Complete contrast this time around!
I was already very nervous and anxious leading up to and attending the examination and the examiner was very abrupt, cold and snappy with me and ended up reducing me to tears during the examination by snapping at me because I wasn't sure about the question he was asking me and snapped at me "well you should know this!".

Not the best approach to reassure someone who is very nervous and anxious about the examination! I was made to feel so awkward and uncomfortable that I just wanted to get out of there as soon as possible. I didn't ask any questions at the end in fear of being snapped at or belittled again! My partner was waiting for me in the waiting room afterwards and I burst into tears when I saw him leaving him worried and wondering what had happened until I could eventually explain.

Due to the very nature of the examination and getting women along to the appointments to detect possible early stages of cancer it is particularly disgraceful
attitude of the examiner! Great way to put women off attending any further appointments! I hope I don't get another call back because I definitely won't be attending in fear of getting the same obnoxious examiner!

Visited in October 2017. Posted on 06 October 2017

Luton and Dunstable Hospital replied on 15 November 2017

We are very concerned to hear that your experience has been an unpleasant one. Please be assured that we will investigate this matter as much as we can from the information given.

We would encourage you to contact our Patient Affairs Office directly on 01582 497 002, or email complaints.officer@ldh.nhs.uk if you would like us to address any of your concerns further.

Anonymous gave Obesity Services at Luton and Dunstable Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Hospital treatment.

I have been attending the bariatric unit for 10 months and would recommend this department to everyone.
They have been welcoming , helpful and very sympathetic when dealing with myself and my husband.

Visited in October 2017. Posted on 07 October 2017

Luton and Dunstable Hospital replied on 15 November 2017

Rugbyrichard gave Limb Fitting and Orthotics at Luton and Dunstable Hospital a rating of 1 stars

offensive reception staff

when arriving for my appointment the receptionist informed me that my appointment had been cancelled.I informed them that I had not received oral or written cancellation they said someone was coming to talk to me.A staff member came out of the office and stood in front of me in a aggressive manner demanding that they had sent me a message cancelling.I told them I had not received it so they just kept shouting at me that they had to which I said if I had received it why would I turn up for a cancelled appointment they started to say that some people are just awkward but stop mid way through awkward.At this point I just told them to give me my shoe so I could just get out of here to which they did.When I had the shoe I told them not to send me an appointment as I would not be coming back to this department again to have my built up shoe fitted.This person has no skills in people management and needs training in manners and how to deal will people.

Visited in October 2017. Posted on 11 October 2017

Anonymous gave Cardiology at Luton and Dunstable Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Forgotten about for 1 1/2 hours

We attended Luton and Dunstable because it was the first place that could offer my teenage son a cardiology appointment. We had a 30 minute drive to get to the hospital and couldn't park. We had left plenty of time to find our way around an unfamiliar place. We wasted so much time trying in vain to find a parking space. We parked a 10-15 minute walk away and were nearly late for the appointment. The only people who were pleasant were the volunteer in the entrance, the staff member on ECG Reception and the ECG nurse. Everyone else looked miserable and completely disinterested. We went to Cardiology, only to be told we had to go to ECG. Why they don't say this in the letter and save you wandering around like an idiot, I don't know. When we returned to Cardiology from ECG we told the nurses we were back and they told us to take a seat. The waiting room was very full, so it was clear we would have a long wait. After over an hour I began to have suspicions when people who arrived after us were going in to the see the doctors. Eventually a nurse looked at the files waiting for the doctors and said "Oh, there are 3 files and 4 patients waiting!". After a few minutes they called my son's name out - his file had been sitting on a shelf and had not been put into the system! The nurses tried to blame us, saying we had not told them we were back from ECG, which was completely untrue. Also why did it take over 1 1/2 hours for them to wonder why we were sitting there? We were in the middle of the waiting room, not tucked away around a corner! Then they told us that my son should have given them the ECG results to put into the file. 1. He walked in carrying the envelope in his hand, why didn't they ask for it? 2. The nurse who gave him the trace at ECG told him to give it to the doctor, so he was doing what he'd been told. It's bad enough to be forgotten about for so long, but then to have the blame shoved onto you is unacceptable. We'd been waiting 2 hours or more when we finally got to see a doctor, who completely failed to listen to what we were saying about my son's health. As a first experience of Luton and Dunstable Hospital it made a very bad impression.

Visited in October 2017. Posted on 11 October 2017