Luton and Dunstable Hospital

01582 491166 Lewsey Road , Luton, Bedfordshire, LU4 0DZ

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Luton and Dunstable Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Lack of information and ridiculous waiting time

Came into A&E at 21:30 on 02/01/18 with high temperature of 38.8 accompanied with shivers and hernia pain and was asked to go to the urgent gp. After 3 hours of waiting time the doctor finally called my husband and examined him. He was able to detect where the pain was after we answered all his questions and gave additional information about the condition a urine sample check was administered and blood with protein was found. The doctor could not understand why there was a high temperature and sent us back to A&E. At A&E we waited another hour and a half before being called in to have blood pressure and temperature checked. We were sent back again to the waiting room and asked for another urine sample for when the doctor saw us. By this time the pain was accompanied by high temperature, headache, hunger and fatigue! No pain relief was offered in the entire time. On asking when would we likely to be seen, I was informed that there was one more person before us and had been waiting for two hours with a urine sample fermenting in his pocket! That didn’t make it any better! I was then finally informed again on asking that it was a general doctor who would see my husband? We have not only waited half the night but that was not any signal that this was a hospital that had staff who can reassure us that our health care was in good hands!

Visited in January 2018. Posted on 03 January 2018

Luton and Dunstable Hospital replied on 08 January 2018

We are sorry to hear that you feel you didn’t receive the level of service you expected.

Our Emergency Department has been very busy over the last few days and we have seen a higher than normal number of admissions of very sick patients.

Our staff have been working hard to ensure that all patients are seen as quickly as possible, however this has to be done in order of clinical priority and not based on time of arrival. This is to ensure all patients are kept safe.

We understand this may be very frustrating when other people arrive after you but are seen quicker.

Please be assured that we will investigate this matter and we would encourage you to contact our Patient Affairs Office directly on 01582 497 002, or email complaints.officer@ldh.nhs.uk if you would like us to address any of your concerns further.

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Luton and Dunstable Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Marvellous treatment of my 85 year old father

My 85 year old father had a heavy fall on a concrete footpath yesterday late afternoon.
He has a number of underlying health problems predominantly with his heart and lungs, takes warfarin and he sustained a number of lacerations to his head, arm and leg and looked a sorry state. Within 4 hours of sustaining the fall he was back in his own home having received exemplary caring and professional treatment, from the initial phone call to the ambulance, from a large number of staff at the L & D. Everyone handled the situation in a calm and good humoured manner so that my dad was put at ease.
Everyone is so quick to make a complaint and never praise and our family felt duty bound to say how wonderful our treatment was, and how grateful we feel for great NHS service.
Well done to you all.

Visited in January 2018. Posted on 07 January 2018

Luton and Dunstable Hospital replied on 08 January 2018

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback. We are pleased your experience has been a positive one and will pass your comments on to department managers and team.

Anonymous gave General Surgery at Luton and Dunstable Hospital a rating of 2 stars

Surgery

Today i had booked surgery to remove my gallbladder after Being on a waiting list for 8 months with in that time being in severe pain this whole time and it never being pushed forward after numerous occasions coming in to a n e also with a miss diagnosis from a doctor in the acciident and emergency department saying i had a muscle issue and to basically take paracetamol and leave...Came in at 7am to the surgical arrivals all staff were pleasant understanding and helpful.

I was prepared for my operation had a meeting with my surgeon and anesthetist signed my concent form only to be called in at 10.30am to an office with two top bosses telling me they have cancelled it with no compassion or even a further date telling me to wait for another letter via post with this information

Visited in January 2018. Posted on 12 January 2018

Luton and Dunstable Hospital replied on 15 January 2018

We are very concerned to hear that your experience has been an unpleasant one. Please be assured that we will investigate this matter as much as we can from the information given.

We would encourage you to contact our Patient Affairs Office directly on 01582 497 002, or email complaints.officer@ldh.nhs.uk if you would like us to address any of your concerns further.

Michelle gave Accident and emergency services at Luton and Dunstable Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Was a patient at a and e department

I was taken to the a An e department today I found the hospital very clean all staff including the nurses and doctors were very professional knowledgable and friendly they have a amazing team working at Luton An Dunstable

Visited in January 2018. Posted on 14 January 2018

Luton and Dunstable Hospital replied on 15 January 2018

Carol Blaxill gave Ophthalmology at Luton and Dunstable Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Excellent service

My husband recently had a cataract operation and I have to say that the care and service he received for his initial appointment at the end of November, the pre op appointment and the actual operation on Monday was excellent. With the negative reviews of the NHS in recent months we were very nervous but it was not necessary.
The staff were very friendly and efficient and on both occasions he was dealt with quickly and efficiently. I could not believe the short time we were actually in the departments.He was first on the list for the op, but I honestly believe that had he been last on the list we would not have waited very long.
Any questions we had were answered fully and the staff ensured that we fully understood the aftercare once he had had the op. He still has to have the cataract operation on his other eye but is not worried at all and is confident that he will not have to wait long.
The NHS may be in serious trouble but if more hospitals were run with the efficiency and care shown by the Luton and Dunstable then I believe it would be in a better place.

Well done and thank you again.

Visited in January 2018. Posted on 18 January 2018

Luton and Dunstable Hospital has not yet replied.

Aamir Mohammed gave Urology at Luton and Dunstable Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Excellent service..

I was referred by my GP to the urology dept as I had blood in my urine.
I was offered an appointment within 2 weeks.

The level of service I received here was excellent and the consultant was friendly and a professional. All my tests were completed the same day and the results were given to me,

Visited in December 2017. Posted on 01 January 2018

Luton and Dunstable Hospital replied on 03 January 2018

Colin gave Accident and emergency services at Luton and Dunstable Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Great service in A & E

I was told to attend A & E by my GP because of irregularities in my heart. After checking in at the desk I was seen in a very reasonable amount of time (about 30 minutes) by the nurse who gave me an ECG and took my blood pressure. I was told to wait inside A & E and someone will come and take my bloods, after about 15 minutes a nurse arrived to take my bloods. I just want to say that the A & E was extremely busy on this day and I could clearly see that there was a lot of people on the ward and a lot of activity going on with ambulance arrivals etc. I had to wait about another hour after my bloods to be seen by the doctor and was eventually admitted into cardiology which ended in a 3 day stay.

I can only say my experience in A & E was that the staff were excellent and even though they were so busy I was reassured by staff throughout my duration in A & E that my issues were being attended to. I was treated politely and with respect by every staff member I encountered, including the porter who had to take me to the ward.

This isn't my first time in Luton and Dunstable A & E and all of my experiences here have been similar. I would like to say a big thank you to everyone in A & E. I think you guys do a fantastic job and I am happy that you are my local hospital. Lets face it you guys are often unfairly scrutinised and criticised but at the end of the day you are there saving lives and helping people in their most desperate time of need and if that doesn't command the greatest respect I don't know what does. I am thankful for all that you have done for me and all that you do for the local community of Luton & Dunstable. Thank you so much.

Visited in December 2017. Posted on 17 January 2018

Luton and Dunstable Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery at Luton and Dunstable Hospital a rating of 3 stars

Appointment review

I visited your clinic today and was fairly satisfied with the doctor who saw me. The doctor took the time out to explain and answer my questions.
However I was dissappointed with the behaviour of two Nursing staff, one of which appeared to be a Senior. They just pulled the curtain aside of the examination room and stated "is she still in here- "she" I assume was a reference to me which I thought was quite unprofessional. I knew the clinic was delayed but I was only in there for 6 minutes as I had made note of the time I came in. I then felt that I was unwelcome and a bother to them for unknown reasons to myself.

Visited in December 2017. Posted on 06 December 2017

Luton and Dunstable Hospital replied on 13 December 2017

Anonymous gave Geriatric Medicine at Luton and Dunstable Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Such Exceptional Care

My elderly mother has been on Ward 14 for a long stretch. The care there is extraordinary. Everyone, no matter their job description, has a smile on their face and words of encouragement. The doctors truly treat me as if I am part of the team and keep me well informed. I am treated with love and respect by all the staff. All these little details really help as you face very challenging times.

Visited in November 2017. Posted on 13 December 2017

Luton and Dunstable Hospital replied on 18 December 2017

G Stephens gave Neurophysiology services at Luton and Dunstable Hospital a rating of 5 stars

PALS support for patient with brain injury

Sent with help from my carer
I attend the L&D regularly and my husband cannot always come with me (as he works full time). I want to praise the work of the PALS team. Nothing is too much trouble. They are always kind, polite and supportive. They know I have a brain injury but they treat me with respect and never talk down to me. Although they are all frantically busy answering phones and dealing with patients who drop in.... they are always kind to me. On some occasions I have been upset when I have arrived for an appointment and on those occasions they have offered me tea and offered to share their own cakes with me (they had bought them to raise money for charity). When I finish an appointment they look out for me in reception and rush out to offer me somewhere warm to wait. They are Incredible. All the staff in the PALS office (and I really do mean all of them) deserve praise for the outstanding work they do day-in and day-out.

Visited in November 2017. Posted on 28 November 2017