Luton and Dunstable Hospital

01582 491166 Lewsey Road , Luton, Bedfordshire, LU4 0DZ

Anthony Golds gave Accident and emergency services at Luton and Dunstable Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Exemplary service at A & E

Having lived in the area for many years, as a result of an accident at my daughters house in Caddington, I made my first visit to your Accident and Emergency facility.
More specifically, my hand was severely cut whilst using my electric circular saw. As I was on my own and bleeding profusely, my neighbour very kindly offered to take me to the hospital.
On arriving, the receptionist took basic details before informing the nearby nurse/sister of my situation. It was then that a nurse, having heard the conversation having arrived early for her shift, offered to initially assess my wound and I was shown through to Triage accordingly. The nurse cleaned the wound, confirmed the severity would require internal stitches for the muscle and then some dozen or so external stitches to repair the hand. I was asked to return to the waiting area to be called - after only about 10 minutes, the nurse called me through again and said she would provide the treatment.
Her demeanour was exemplary throughout - she was kind but professional and honest in her description and execution of the work. She meticulously tried to stitch the wound as well as possible - explaining her actions to me as they progressed including preparing me for the pain of injections in the torn flesh and delicate stitches. She probably spent more than an hour to produce the best job possible, never rushing but diligently progressing.
I would like to say that this nurse's attitude and ability is a credit to your hospital and to her profession. As I did not get a chance to thank her properly as she had already moved on to the next patient in a busy waiting room, I would appreciate you passing on my sincere gratitude for her help.

Visited in September 2018. Posted on 05 September 2018

Luton and Dunstable Hospital has not yet replied.

Allan gave Accident and emergency services at Luton and Dunstable Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Fantastic care and service

After calling 111 I was advised to take my 87 year old father to my nearest A&E which is Luton & Dunstable. We were seen by a nurse within 20 minutes of our arrival and by a doctor within 60 minutes. I consider this to be great service from a busy department. We are very grateful to all who helped us from reception onwards.

My father was then admitted to Ward 4 with a suspected UTI and an X-ray confirmed some infection in his chest. After a 2 night stay he is back home and recovering well. I must say that the care from the staff on Ward 4 was 1st rate from the cups of tea through to the medical, therapist and pharmacist attention.

Thank you to all involved.

Visited in September 2018. Posted on 14 September 2018

Anonymous gave Luton and Dunstable Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Brilliant treatment

Thank you very much Luton and Dunstable Hospital for looking after me so well in the run up to my first surgery. Very thorough with the paper work and were very reassuring from consulation to recovery. Thank you also for informing and reassuring my parents of my progress and whereabouts after theatre.

Visited in August 2018. Posted on 01 September 2018

Luton and Dunstable Hospital has not yet replied.

Sophie Arnold gave General Surgery at Luton and Dunstable Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Operation day

I had my operation on the 9th of august 2018 i was extremly cared for and the waiting to go down to surgery wasnt long at all compared to lister hospital they kept me updated all the time andwhen i came out of surgery they were so lovely and caring then i was transfered to short stay and they were so lovely they stayed longer asthey were trying to find me a bed at ward 34 because i kept on being sick such lovely people will be coming here more often for surgery and follow up oppointments.

The staff are very caring and thoughtful andaskhow much pain your in they are very professional and keeping my mum and boyfriend updated was a bonus i cant thank them enough of how welcomed i am here

Truely rate this a number 1 hospital

Sophie Arnold

Visited in August 2018. Posted on 10 August 2018

Anonymous gave at Luton and Dunstable Hospital a rating of 3 stars

Didn't seem to want to listen very understaffed

I came into hospital on 10th Aug around 6am after my waters broke I was then put onto a ward once a space was free around 12 o'clock. In all this time I hadn't been examined to determine how far gone I was. When on the ward I mentioned this and still no one seemed to want to no. Hours passed and I told the midwife my contractions were now every 20mins this was at 4pm and again no examination to determine if I should have been transferred to delivery suite or not. Within the next hour my contractions were then every 3mins we had spoken to the midwife several times to ask for pain relief to be told yes once we have swapped shifts at 7pm. By this point the pain was so bad So yet again tried to find someone to get me gas and air . The midwife finally brought some over where she told me sorry there is only a little bit another lady has the new tank. I asked what will happen if no room on delivery suite as I had just been told it was full and the midwife said then you will have your baby here on the ward . Once again no one checked to see how far gone I was . I then said to my partner I need to push . He had to go and actually find someone as no one came once we have pulled the alarm . Finally at 7:30pm I got examined as I was screaming in pain only to find I was 9cm and the baby was on his way . I should have been listened to and taken seriously hours ago . I was then rushed to delivery in pain and no time for any pain relief. What should have been a calm relaxed experience following a birthing plan turned into a rush and lack of support. The lady who delivered our baby however was absolutely amazing and was so friendly and amazing at her job.

Visited in August 2018. Posted on 15 August 2018

Luton and Dunstable Hospital has not yet replied.

Margot Verdon gave Ear, Nose & Throat at Luton and Dunstable Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Care in the ENT Dept.,

I had an appointment in the ENT Dept at your hospital yesterday.
I was pleasantly surprised by the way that dept is run. Had occasion to meet the consultant who examined me. His manner was at all times most professional, friendly and he put me completely at ease. Nothing was too much trouble.

He has restored my faith in this hospital particularly after a not so good experience in the endoscopy dept.

My husband who was present during my examination was also extremely impressed by the friendly way we were treated.
I would have no hesitation in recommending this particular consultant to family and friends. Thank you

Visited in August 2018. Posted on 22 August 2018

Penny gave at Luton and Dunstable Hospital a rating of 5 stars

An amazing place with amazing people from start to finish

I had my baby at the L&D on 1st August 2018 and I have to say that the entire experience was amazing. Every single person we came into contact with was friendly and helpful and counldnt do enough to help us.

Thank you to the scanning department and consultants who kept an eye on me when they discovered that baby was bigger than expected. They were always friendly and helpful despite being over run with appointments and apologising hundreds of times when things ran late.

Thank you to the induction ward who looked after me so well during my attempted induction, making me laugh and distracting me when I didn’t like having blood pressure taken it was worried about what might happen.

Thank you to the delivery suite and in particular the midwives and students who worked with us to make labour as positive and as relaxed as possible. Our particular midwife, who I will be writing to the hospital about, went above and beyond the call of duty and stayed with me hours after her shift had ended!

Thank you to the surgeons who then took over when I needed an emergency Caesarian and was feeling very nervous. They put myself and my husband at ease and did everything they could to make me feel comfortable. They did an amazing job and visited me on the ward the next day to explain again what had happened and to offer a full debrief if we wanted one.

And thank you to the ward that looked after me when I had had the baby safely and answered the buzzer for a dozen different women hundreds of times a day or night. Nothing was too much trouble, no question was too silly and they were such a huge support.

A huge huge thank you to the whole trust. Please please pass on my thanks to all those involved.

Luton and Dunstable Hospital replied on 07 August 2018

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback. We are pleased your experience has been a positive one and will pass your comments on to department managers and team.

Elbowcrutch gave Accident and emergency services at Luton and Dunstable Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Lovely people

Took my wife to A&E this morning with twisted knee injury. Got triaged (Stream nurse) in 10 minutes. Seen by nurse practitioner, X-rayed, seen by doctor and given self treatment advice. Out in 90 minutes. Treated with great respect by genuinely concerned staff. Absolutely lovely people!

Luton and Dunstable Hospital replied on 07 August 2018

Anonymous gave General Surgery at Luton and Dunstable Hospital a rating of 5 stars

GENERAL SURGERY WAITING LIST

I have had to rearrange a surgery appointment due to an on-the-day cancellation by the hospital. Although this was very annoying, after a 6 hr wait, I understood about the difficulties the hospital is under. When I rang the waiting list clerk to discuss my needs for rescheduling I was met with a thoroughly professional and highly motivated employee who was very helpful to me. She had an understanding approach and dealt with my rescheduling very quickly and efficiently. I have spoken to the clerk before, when she contacted me to rearrange a previous appointment, she was just as kind and caring on that occasion too. I wanted to pass on my reviews about the waiting list procedure, as I don't think that backroom staff always get the praise they deserve. I can assure anyone needing to reschedule a general surgery appointment, that they will be very happy with the service they receive.

Anonymous gave at Luton and Dunstable Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Incredible care at L&D’s Women’s Health Unit

My husband and I attended our nuchal dating scan in July 2018. Unfortunately, our baby had passed away a few weeks prior and I had gone through a missed miscarriage.

We wanted to thank the whole team at the Women’s Health unit who helped me and my husband through a very difficult time.

Thank you to the team in Maternity who delivered the difficult news so sensitively during our scan and with compassion and who efficiently handed over the care to the Early Pregnancy Clinic.

Thank you to the team at the Early Pregnancy Clinic who saw us on the same day. Thank you for having a side waiting room available where my husband and I could privately wait to be seen, to take in the sad news we had just been told, and where we did not have to sit with other pregnant ladies. You gave us the time and space to take all the information on board and helped to make this process that little bit easier.

Thank you to the team at Ward 34 for helping me and my husband through our medical management a short while later. You gave us privacy and treated us with the utmost dignity and respect. You helped to walk us through some difficult decisions and dealt with all of this so sensitively. Thank you for the memories box and for helping us to grieve for him. Thank you for handling my little baby so carefully and allowing us time to spend together as a family of three before we had to say our goodbyes.

We felt that our baby and our loss as his parents were acknowledged throughout the process by everyone who cared for us at the hospital and cannot thank all the teams involved enough for their support and compassion. It is clear that they are used to working together as a team. Thank you for everything that you do for the patients like us that come to see you each day.

Visited in July 2018. Posted on 07 August 2018