Bristol Royal Infirmary

0117 923 0000 Marlborough Street , Bristol, Avon, BS2 8HW

Edmund Black. reviewed Orthopaedics at Bristol Royal Infirmary

Review of Surgery

To my Consultant.

On 4th October a fracture of my elbow was operated on. I reeived wonderful treatment at every stage,,skillful l and thoughtful. I me with the greatest kindness.

Please thank your staff on my behalf.

Yours sincerely,

Edmund Black.l

Visited in October 2017. Posted on 11 October 2017

Bristol Royal Infirmary replied on 12 October 2017

Thank you for taking the time to contact us. We are so delighted to hear about the wonderful care and treatment that you recently received. We appreciate your feedback and your comments and hope you are recovering well.

John Elms gave Stroke at Bristol Royal Infirmary a rating of 5 stars

Crucial Care and Commitment

We were visiting my daughter and two grandchildren in Bristol and we went on the afternoon of 2nd October 2017 to Tyntesfield National Trust grounds to see the woodland "den".
Whilst there I felt a loss of control of movement and fell to the ground. My wife realised that I displayed a lack of feeling on the whole of my right hand side ,signifying a stroke, and called for help.
The staff dialled 999 and kept me warm in space blankets whist we waited for the ambulance. When the ambulance arrived the paramedics quickly stretchered me to the entrance and reassured me .I was monitored and whisked away with my wife to B.R.I.
I was fast-tracked to a scan and given thrombolosis drip on ward 515.
Within 4 hours I regained the use of my right hand side to my immense relief!
48 hours later I was able to go home to Exmouth Devon.
Up until then I had never been overnight in a hospital before.
I am extremely grateful for all the care and attention of all the staff on the ward. Nothing was too much trouble for them. I continue to make good progress with my rehabilitation.

Many thanks to all of you! That was truly a team effort from the expert care and fore planning of the ambulance crew to all those who looked after me in a seamless operation.
Best Wishes
John Elms

Visited in October 2017. Posted on 13 October 2017

Bristol Royal Infirmary replied on 17 October 2017

Thanks again.

William Whiteley gave Accident and emergency services at Bristol Royal Infirmary a rating of 5 stars

Unstinting care from a professional team

Saturday night in the A&E Department was full of patients in traumatic situations. Each of the seven members of staff I saw was kind, helpful, positive, and fantastically competent. They were clearly overworked - more than one was working beyond the limits of their shift and therefore working voluntarily, and yet continued to give supporting and unstinting care to all the many patients they were dealing with.

It's a great service staffed by fantastic people.

Visited in October 2017. Posted on 16 October 2017

Bristol Royal Infirmary replied on 17 October 2017

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Bristol Royal Infirmary a rating of 4 stars

Excellent & efficient service

Given it was Friday 13th night staff were excellent,efficient & respectful.

Visited in October 2017. Posted on 13 October 2017

Bristol Royal Infirmary has not yet replied.

GMcL gave Intensive Care at Bristol Royal Infirmary a rating of 5 stars

ICU and Ward 800

My son recently spent 9 days in BRI following elective surgery. He is a young man with learning difficulties who has required surgery on many occasions. The hospital's willingness to allow me to stay with him throughout his time in ITU and Ward 800 meant that he was calm, relaxed and happy. ALL staff ensured he understood what was going on at all times and all staff allowed time to listen to him to ensure they understood his requests. Every part of his treatment was discussed with him so he was ready for everything that needed to be done and staff went out of their way to ensure he was happy.
When it came to discharge, all District Nurse visits were in place before we left and all was explained to my son in a way he could understand. That additional time spent with him means that he is confident about leaving with medical equipment still in use.
Outstanding care from all staff - doctors, nurses, HCA's and domestic staff.
Thankyou SO much.

Visited in September 2017. Posted on 30 September 2017

Bristol Royal Infirmary replied on 12 October 2017

Thank you for taking the time to contact us. We are so delighted to hear about the outstanding care and treatment that your son recently received. We appreciate your feedback and your comments and hope you are all doing well. We will pass your feedback on to the relevant teams. Best wishes.

JessK gave Dermatology at Bristol Royal Infirmary a rating of 1 stars

Still No Idea

I did not mind having a long wait to receive an appointment and had expected it; acne is not a life threatening condition. However after a good start and initial consultation, I received no news or communications at all for over 2 months, nor could I speak to someone on the phone (they did not respond to voicemails either). I had to physically go in to see them three times before I got a vague answer as to why I hadn't heard and still no definitive answer as to what the next stage of my treatment would be. This has lead to incredible stress that has made my acne worse and I have still received no treatment. The staff have been untruthful on multiple occasions promising to contact me with answers and never doing so, despite taking two different telephone numbers on multiple occasions. Still idea what is happening next regarding my treatment and I'm very disappointed having had only good experiences of NHS services in the past.

Visited in September 2017. Posted on 03 November 2017

Bristol Royal Infirmary has not yet replied.

Emily gave Accident and emergency services at Bristol Royal Infirmary a rating of 5 stars

Fantastic team at A&E BRI

I arrived at BRI A&E on Saturday 2nd Sept at 4am with an ankle injury- and I just wanted to say thank you to such a great team. The Triage nurse was fantastic, took great care to put me at ease and took me very quickly up to x-ray. The nurses there were also great, then whilst there was a wait to see the next person- I completely understand this due to the need to deal with more serious cases I was then seen by the consultant who was also fantastic. The consultant and the team put me at ease, explained what was wrong and how to treat it going forward. They also booked me in for a physio appt for a few weeks time and can't believe what a great service! Thanks BRI A&E team from early hours of this morning. I know you all work long shifts but your attitude and great treatment is a credit to you all and the NHS.

Visited in September 2017. Posted on 02 September 2017

Bristol Royal Infirmary replied on 06 September 2017

Alfredsegal gave Cardiothoracic surgery at Bristol Royal Infirmary a rating of 5 stars

In paient experience.

After a short stay for a heart problem I cannot say how wonderful all your staff was they
cannot have done more to make me more comfortable
All your nursing staff and doctors work so hard and such long hours
Right from the time the ambulance came to collect me after dialling 999 and being
admitted your help and service was excellent and could not ask for more
Thank you again BRI to all your staff involved
ASegal Bristol

Visited in September 2017. Posted on 10 September 2017

Bristol Royal Infirmary replied on 18 September 2017

Anonymous gave General Medicine at Bristol Royal Infirmary a rating of 5 stars

Radiology DXA Scan

Bone Densitometry DXA Scan

I would like to say thanks to the BRI's Radiology X Ray Dept. and, in particular, to the member of staff who dealt with my Bone Density Scan when I attended there recently (4th August). It was my first visit ever to an X Ray Dept., so I was rather nervous about it, but found the Radiographer's manner very reassuring. Not only did they succeed in putting me at ease, but was able to give me an indication of the probable result of my test there and then. Overall, I was very impressed by my experience of this Dept., which on a scale of 1 to 10 is definitely at the 10 end.

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 13 August 2017

Bristol Royal Infirmary replied on 22 August 2017

Thank you for taking the time to contact us. We are so delighted to hear about the wonderful care and treatment that you recently received. We appreciate your feedback and your comments and hope you are well.

PHR reviewed Bristol Royal Infirmary

Overnight stay in Urology dept

I had a recurrence of kidney stones, my GP sent me to ACU at BRI where the pain was controlled and I was sent home after a scan & abdominal x-ray to locate the stone.
On 2 days later I was again in great pain and rather than go to A&E, my GP arranged for me to go straight to the Urology Dept at Southmead where I had been treated for the same problem several years ago. I was admitted for monitoring and observation. My care was very good, the staff informative and always cheerful during my overnight stay in a very pleasant room.
The scan & x-ray results from BRI had to be chased up and probably delayed things. I was particularly impressed by the lithotripsy Dept, especially Una . Thank you to everyone involved in my care.

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 12 August 2017 using Care Opinion

Bristol Royal Infirmary replied on 22 August 2017

Thank you for taking the time to contact us. We are glad to hear about the good care and treatment that you recently received. We appreciate your feedback and your comments and hope you are recovering well.