Frimley Park Hospital

01276 604604 Portsmouth Road , Camberley, Surrey, GU16 7UJ

Anonymous gave Ophthalmology at Frimley Park Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Dreadful service, waste of time and money

Was referred to Frimley Park from Wexham on a Saturday late afternoon as was told it would be quicker to see an ophthalmologist there, having already waited 2 hours at Wexham for an assessment of a scary vision issue. Despite being told I was being referred across then had to go to the bottom of the list at Frimley Park and do the same tests and assessments again. Spent 7 1/2 hours in hospital and was finally diagnosed with a partially detached retina and sat in the chair for lazer surgery when it was discovered that the machine was broken, possibly a blown bulb? Since it was now well after midnight I was given an appointment at 11am the next day and told the machine would be ready and it should be a very quick and simple procedure to sort this out.

At 10.30 the following morning I arrived to find the automatic checking in machines off (possibly not working?) directions on walls were incorrect, doors not working properly and no staff to sign people in. It quickly became apparent that I did not have an appointment, but would need to wait in line again as this was another drop-in. Same tests, same waiting as the day before, totally ignoring my previous visit. After 2 1/2 hours was told the lazer machine was not working so they were unable to do the surgery and they were unable to refer me anywhere else to do this as it was a Sunday, however the ophthalmologist felt it was very urgent I received the surgery so gave me a handwritten letter for a named ophthalmologist having apparently spoken to the team at St Thomas, London and made an appointment for 10am the next morning. I explained that I was visiting family for the weekend and do not live locally so a trip to London would be difficult and expensive and suggested that Queen Alexandra, my local hospital have a good eye department, would it be possible to have the surgery done there? She looked on the computer and said this would not be possible, I had to go to London for my appointment. She also told me I would need to fast overnight and until I had the surgery in case they wanted to use a local anesthetic. I suffered a further bleed on Sunday evening which could have been avoided with more prompt treatment.

I arranged to have the time off work the following day, paid £150 train fares to travel peak time to arrive for my 10am appointment and fasted overnight. When we arrived at 9.30 at St Thomas London it became clear that once again I was to join the queue for a walk in eye clinic, I had no appointment and the receptionist said this happens frequently. It was very busy and I was there 3 1/2 hours for the same tests etc. Then I was asked if I could come back Thursday? I explained the situation and St Thomas were great, they did the treatment straight away (no need for the fasting) and referred me to my local hospital for a follow up appointment. They did not understand why I had wasted time and money being sent to them by Frimley Park instead of straight to QA.

What a waste of time and money!

Visited in July 2018. Posted on 02 July 2018

Frimley Park Hospital replied on 12 July 2018

Thank you for your feedback. I am very sorry to hear about your experience. Please can I ask you to contact our PALS team who will be able to investigate this for you.

Anonymous gave Gynaecology at Frimley Park Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Gynaecology Dept.

Outstanding care and treatment as an outpatient of the urogynaecology section of the gynaecology department over the past 3 years. Thank you for your expertise. From a grateful 93 year old.

Visited in July 2018. Posted on 04 July 2018

Frimley Park Hospital replied on 12 July 2018

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback. The team will be delighted to read your comments

Patient Experience Insight & Improvement Officer

Kenyan gave Accident and emergency services at Frimley Park Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Emergency Kidney stone A&E and surgery

Having never had kidney stones before I was completely bowled over by the pain. Everyone who helped me however grasped the situation with expertise, compassion and unwavering care. I was released after a day but unfortunately had complications which resulted in me being returned to the hospital for firstly more pain relief and then surgery. Once again through the pain haze I observed outstanding care and compassion and most important professional care. Frimley Park Hospital and it’s staff are outstanding and should be the blueprint for a successful NHS

Visited in July 2018. Posted on 14 July 2018

Tracy gave Gynaecology at Frimley Park Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Frimley Park nurses rock

Theatre nurses in theatre 2, PAC, and F15 were kind supportive and friendly. . Went the extra mile to treat not only myself but other patients with patience and kindness and did their very best. Couldn’t fault any of the staff in those areas. Way to go

Visited in July 2018. Posted on 17 July 2018

Frimley Park Hospital has not yet replied.

Nicky C gave Accident and emergency services at Frimley Park Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Exemplary Treatment in A&E

After suffering a minor electric shock & subsequent electrical burn to my hand early this morning, I was told by my local GP surgery that I needed to visit A&E. My neighbour, herself a retired nurse, drove me to Frimley Park Hospital and both of us were incredibly impressed by the A&E department.

I was seen by three different members of staff who were all equally fantastic. Not only were they very professional but they immediately put me at ease with their cheerful dispositions and fantastic bedside manner. I was initially assessed by the Nurse Practitioner, then a nursing assistant, did an ECG before the wound was dressed by one of the nurses on duty.

The nurse was very thorough and kept me informed of what was going on. He had even contacted the burns unit at Chelsea & Westminster Hospital to discuss with them about my hand. As all seemed fine with the ECG results and subsequent consultation with C&W I was advised that no further action needed to be taken, apart from I book an appointment with my local GP surgery to review the wound & dressings.

I would like to take this opportunity of thanking your staff and also the team responsible for keeping the hospital clean. My visit lasted less than 2 hours - very efficient.

Visited in July 2018. Posted on 17 July 2018

David C gave Urology at Frimley Park Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Thanks and gratitude to the staff of the SAU and Ward 11.

Just wanted to thank everyone in the SAU and Ward 11 and the Urology specialists who looked after my elderly mother last week when she was diagnosed and treated for a serious infection which turned out to be sepsis. Everyone who looked after her, made a prompt and correct diagnosis, treated her and kept me and my father informed during this episode did a fantastic job. Can't thank them enough. She came through it and is now at home recovering. So please pass on our thanks to all involved.

Visited in June 2018. Posted on 06 July 2018

Frimley Park Hospital replied on 11 July 2018

Thank you for your feedback,we will share your experience with the teams. The team will be very pleased to hear that you had a positive experience on ward 11 and SAU, and we are pleased that your mother is recovering well at home.

Many Thanks
Angela Ballard
Head of Patient Experience

Melissa D gave General Surgery at Frimley Park Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Day Surgery Unit 1

I’d like to thank all the staff who provided excellent care from start to finish when I recently visited to have a hernia repair. Every member of staff was professional and displayed a high level of empathy for the duration of my treatment. We are very fortunate to have such an outstanding hospital in our community ~ keep up the fabulous work!

Visited in June 2018. Posted on 07 June 2018

Frimley Park Hospital replied on 11 July 2018

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback. This will be passed onto the team.

Harpreet Rall

Carat gave Accident and emergency services at Frimley Park Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Excellent special needs provision in pediatric a&e again!

My 17 year old daughter attended a&e last night with a suspected apedisitus, this is not our first time and as ever the staff were amazing with her. She was given a quite space away from the busy waiting room and every member of staff from the nursing team to the surgeons treated he with respect and gave her the time to explain and process what was being said even though thay where under time pressure themselves. Treatment like this means so much to people with additional needs and their families. Thank you so much to frimly park staff.

Visited in June 2018. Posted on 13 June 2018

Frimley Park Hospital replied on 11 July 2018

Thank you for your feedback. The teams will be very pleased to read your feedback.

Anonymous gave Gynaecology at Frimley Park Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Upsetting early scan at EPU made to feel like a hassle:(

Hi there,
Unfortunately I feel I need to complain about the way I was treated this morning (18.6.18) by a Sonographer at my early pregnancy scan. I'm 6 weeks today and like many women I had an early scan to check everything was progressing as it should be and have my mind put at rest. However, no sooner did I have my legs on the bed, the sonographer whipped open the curtain and didn't even say "are you ready!?"
I was still quite exposed at the time. She told my other half and son "sit there!" In an abrupt manner and In what felt like a forever of silence she finally said she "could see the sac and yolk but still very faint". I've been following early scan posts on baby groups and know at around 6 weeks you can sometimes detect a heartbeat so I said "can you see the heartbeat!?" To which she scoffed "I can barely see the sac so I definitely can't see a heartbeat!" I don't know if I am being sensitive but I felt like bursting into tears :( I said to her "I'm here because I want to check everything is Ok, I'm not medically trained and don't know how it all works" to which she then responded "it might be too soon" like I was a hassle. I explained that I had seen others with a heartbeat at 6 weeks and she just said "everyone is different" abruptly. I completely understand that but feel she could of said it in a nicer way that didn't sound so abrupt. I then said calmly "thank you for explaining that to me"
This woman had a trainee in the room watching her work so from what I assume is she strikes me as someone who has done this job for a long time and forgotten how she can make people feel. I feel a refresher course on customer care may not go a miss!? I realise sonographers have an important job to do and need to concentrate but I wonder if they need to be reminded it's also such a privilege because I honestly don't know why you need to be so insensitive and brash. So many woman are there early for a reason and understandably anxious. I dread to think how she would make someone feel who had been trying to conceive for years and there first experience of being in hospital and checking their baby is OK, was this one :( I just don't understand why you would purposely start your day off by being so hostile.(our appointment was quite early, first thing) I got dressed and she shouted over the curtain "at your 12 weeks scan, you can't bring kids!" We don't plan on bringing our son to the 12 week scan but I didn't even bother explaining myself as I just wanted to get out of there. I'm paranoid now wondering if the pregnancy will progress :( I wish I never went to the early scan it's meant to reassure and it's just upset me and made me worry more. I wanted to voice my concerns for myself but also for women who made have been treated like this but felt like they couldn't complain. I don't know what will happen with my pregnancy but the last place I want to end up now is in the EPU, although that said all other staff I saw today where pleasant. Thanks.

Visited in June 2018. Posted on 18 June 2018

Frimley Park Hospital replied on 11 July 2018

Thank you for your feedback. I am very sorry to hear that you did not have a good experience. Please can I ask you to contact our PALS team who will be able to investigate this.

Karen Thomas gave Frimley Park Hospital a rating of 1 stars

A humiliating conveyor belt experience

This review is NOT about Frimley Park Hospital, it is about the Frimley Hospital Trust mobile breast screening service. *I have not been able to find an outlet for me to leave feedback anywhere specifically about the breast screening service.

I had a mammogram today at the mobile unit in Bracknell Sports Centre car park. The experience was awful; not the mammogram procedure itself but the robotic and frankly rude radiographer's attitude. There was no friendliness shown just blunt instructions and a bit of sarcasm too. This is the first time I have had an NHS breast screening. I had my very first mammogram last November (privately) due to a concerning lump, which thankfully was not anything serious. What a different experience that one was compared to todays.

Sadly when I went for my first NHS mammogram appointment in March this year...(.again in the mobile unit at Bracknell Sports Centre) I was informed by another very abrupt radiographer that I couldn't have it done as there hadn't been 6 months since the previous private one I'de had. I tried to explain that I had been told by the Consultant in November 2017 to attend my NHS mammogram in March 2018, but was told by the radiographer that 'Consultants have no idea how the breast screening programme works' and told to come back in June.

I therefore re-booked my appointment through The Parapet. The previous radioraphers attitude was really awful so when I arrived this morning and saw a different radiographer I was really relieved. Unfortunately this lady today was just as unfriendly with zero bedside manner just like the first. Whilst I appreciate that it must be very monotonous seeing a constant stream of women coming through the doors and having to say and do the same things repeatedly, I also feel that having a mammogram is a very intimate procedure, and for some women like myself who have had previous concerns it can be very scary. A smile and a friendly approach would be so reassuring, very much appreciated and costs absolutely nothing.

I came away feeling humiliated and nothing but a number. Whilst I was getting dressed afterwards I could hear the next poor lady being spoken to in the same condescending way that I had been. Clearly my experience is not an isolated one.
How sad that this vital and very often life saving service has left such a nasty taste. Some urgent customer care training needed I think.

Visited in June 2018. Posted on 25 June 2018