Whipps Cross University Hospital

020 3416 5000 Whipps Cross Road , London, E11 1NR

Anonymous gave Maternity services at Whipps Cross University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Wonderful experience

My daughter in law recently gave birth at Whipps Cross. From the moment she arrived in Triage to the day she took her baby home nearly a week later staff in all areas were brilliant. The Triage midwife was welcoming, empathetic and reassuring; when she was admitted to the antenatal ward the team were welcoming and made her feel comfortable, they listened to her concerns and acted promptly when she needed transfer to the Delivery Suite. On DS she was met with kindness and empathy, staff were efficient and friendly which made her feel very reassured. The midwife who looked after her during her labour was outstanding, and the doctors and anaesthetists were knowledgeable informative and acted promptly when issues arose. The midwife involved her in all decisions and also included her partner so that he felt he was of some use! She spent longer than planned on the post natal ward but the entire team midwives, neonatal nurse and midwifery assistants could not have been any better. A shining example of great care, there are too many names to recall individually but throughout her stay she felt safe and both she and her baby were extremely well cared for, advice was consistent especially related to breast feeding. Now the new family are at home and getting on with life much more confident than they might have been thanks to the wonderful care she received. Thanks to all.

Visited in October 2017. Posted on 10 November 2017

Anonymous gave Whipps Cross University Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Blood tests

Waited ages for my number in the queue for blood tests.

People were not happy about waiting for so long.

I assumed there were again just 2 staff as they were working at a snail's pace (as per usual).

When it was my turn, I went into the room and was surprised to see 4 staff (so why were they working so slow?).

The guy taking my blood seemed to be on a power trip. He told me not to again accept 'labels' from the hospital doctor (which is what the doctor had given me, to give to the staff at the blood tests clinic, which stated what the blood tests were for and my details).

Privately I thought who do they think they are? They are not at a senior level, to instruct me to refuse a label that the doctor had printed out. I have attended a few blood tests at this hospital before, and no one has ever made an objection about the labels before.

Interestingly enough, they did not inform me what alternative I should request from the doctor, for the next time.

Then they went away, leaving me anxious because by thenI had already waited so long, I was already late for another health appointment.

I asked their colleague to take my bloods instead. They refused, and said the other staff had gone to print the form for me (or whatever - I don't actually know what they were talking about).

I put back on my jacket and got ready to leave, when the staff member returned. I duly informed them that I was very late for my other appointment so please could they take my blood test right away.

They refused, claiming that they were trying to print out another label form, but it wouldn't print out. By then, I was panicking about my other appointment (which I would have been fined for, if I had got there too late). They then said they would not be taking my blood that day.

I was upset to hear this, but they did not care that I had waited so long, only to be told that I would not be getting a blood test that day. I am physically disabled, with other health problems, and it took a lot of effort to get there that day.

I was disgusted with the way they behaved in such an over-zealous way.

And I think the staff at the blood tests should spend less time gossiping and quickly get on with taking the blood tests. Making people wait for so long, especially when they are not well, is a total disgrace.

Whipps Cross need to set up a Patient Representative Group, to give power to the patients (and not simply signpost them to PALS)...!

Visited in October 2017. Posted on 04 October 2017

Whipps Cross University Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Endocrinology and Metabolic Medicine at Whipps Cross University Hospital a rating of 1 stars

calling for hours at a time no one picks the phone

i have been calling your hospital for days no one picks up the phone hours go by no one answers, passed around pillar to post days before you can talk to anyone, keep sending appointment out double joke

Visited in October 2017. Posted on 09 October 2017

Whipps Cross University Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Rheumatology at Whipps Cross University Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Not the best way to spend the day

I had a 9.30am appointment and wasn't seen by a doctor until gone 12.30pm. What I would expect to be a morning off work turned out to be an entire day, after subsequent blood tests and x-rays. I've had on-hold calls cut off when I've tried to contact the hospital.

Visited in October 2017. Posted on 13 October 2017

Whipps Cross University Hospital has not yet replied.

Francis gave Accident and emergency services at Whipps Cross University Hospital a rating of 4 stars

An efficient examination.

Today, feeling a little faint, and following a recent GP diagnosis of cardiac arythmia, I referred myself to the Urgent Treament department. I was seen in Majors ward. I was given various tests, and eventually seen by the doctor, who was kind and reassuring. The procedure all went through efficiently.

Visited in October 2017. Posted on 14 October 2017

Anonymous gave Urology at Whipps Cross University Hospital a rating of 2 stars

Ridiculous waiting time

Disappointed with my experience here for an operation. My appointment was due at 7.30am - I was sitting waiting for 6 hours (!) in a chair with no one giving me an update on my situation and despite there only being one other person in front of me. Why bring patients in at 7.30 if you know they won't be the first to be seen? The anaesthetist gave me an update at 1pm, the only person to do so, 5.5 hours after sitting there without any information.

This experience was unnecessarily stressful and unprofessional. Very disappointed in some of the staff's handling of the situation and clear lack of organisation - six hour waiting time for a slotted operation is terrible, even for the NHS.

Visited in October 2017. Posted on 18 October 2017

Whipps Cross University Hospital has not yet replied.

Paul Charlier gave Accident and emergency services at Whipps Cross University Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Waste of time - unsure of what to do next!

After having major spinal surgery a month ago I have been experiencing major pain in which cannot be explained or assisted by my GP or Physiotherapist. Post-op follow up is 3 months after the operation.

Came to the walk-in centre and had to queue up for nearly 1 hour 30 minutes. After explaining my symptoms the receptionist I was told to wait and see an in house GP.

After waiting another hour I saw the GP, who explained that they do not have the authority to order any x-rays or to refer me to majors in order to see a doctor that can properly examine me. Was told that I need to go back to my own GP in order to have a further request to my surgeon to bring forward the follow-up appointment. They also said that they would increase my pain medication. They then said that everything would be sent electronically through to my GP. Now 2 days after my own GP has yet to receive anything from Whipps Cross. However they have received information for other patients from the walk-in centre GP's.

I proceeded to call the walk-in centre and ask about my 'electronic' prescription. The nurse said to me that nothing is ever sent electronically and that it was for my 'own' GP to call them. I said okay - please can I have the name of the walk-in centre GP that attended to me - they said 'no - we do not give out names'. They said I will have to come back to the walk-in centre and wait to see a doctor.

What is this place coming to? I have increasing severe pain after a major operation. I cannot see the surgeon who performed the operation. I get seen to by a GP in the walk-in centre that clearly does not know how the system works, or has failed to even do their job properly. And receptionist staff who contradict themselves.

In summary a major operation with post-op problems. No way to go forwards and completely lost for answers.

Visited in October 2017. Posted on 18 October 2017

Anonymous gave Urology at Whipps Cross University Hospital a rating of 3 stars

8 hours waiting time

I received a letter showing time to arrive at Hope ward (7am) on 19th October.
Duly arrived at 7 am to find approx 20 people waiting at the door (for similar urology appointments).

We were let in at 7 am. I was sent to a waiting area at approx 7.15am. I was seen by a very nice registrar at approx 11am , and told that I was last on the list for the day! Next, a visit from the anaethetist shortly after, also a very nice person.

Next, I was taken to a single bed room in Hope ward to change, and then had to wait again until 3 pm when I was taken to the operating theatre for procedure.

Although the wait was unacceptable (Why are appointments not staggered ?) the Consultants ,Registrar , and team were excellent and very helpful and supportive.

Visited in October 2017. Posted on 20 October 2017

Maternity Unit review

We were extremely happy with our experience at the Triage and the Lilac Maternity units. We came in with my wife dilated 10 cm. The triage nurse was very quick to asses things and moved us to a birthing room very quickly. The mid wives then helped deliver the baby. They were professional and very friendly and made the whole process very smooth. Post delivery the midwives were accommodating and helped us navigate the rest of the processes.

Visited in October 2017. Posted on 25 October 2017

Anonymous gave Whipps Cross University Hospital a rating of 3 stars

Staff on phones!!

The only criticism I have is seeing some staff on constantly on their phones! During my visit, at the two reception desks I went to, at each there was a staff member behind the desk on their phone every time I walked past, just idly scrolling through with a look of total boredom. One member of staff in the rear breast clinic reception was even slumped and on it for the whole half hour I waited. It looks really unprofessional and rude, particularly when there are people trying to get your attention. Somebody needs to have a word.

Visited in October 2017. Posted on 28 October 2017