The Great North Children’s Hospital is designed to be a nurturing environment - a place where children and their parents can feel more at ease, however long their stay.
Staffed by world-class doctors and nursing staff using the very latest equipment and medical techniques, we are caring for young people with a huge variety of conditions.
However, all of our patients will definitely have one thing in common. Being in hospital is not top of their list of things to do! That’s why we’ve included a 50-seat cinema that screens the very latest films, while the designers of our new ‘penthouse’ area at the children’s hospital should have a good idea of what teenagers want - they’re teenagers themselves. And because we know that kids of all ages need their own space, three out of four of the hospital’s 245 beds are in private ensuite rooms. The bathrooms and sleeping area for parents are all part of a very distinctive environment to create privacy and positively enhance the experience and well being for patients, their families and friends.
The Services and Facilities include:
- Spacious and airy environment for our inpatients. There are 246 beds, with 75% in single rooms with ensuite facilities.
- The purpose built Teenage Cancer Unit with its ‘Penthouse’.
- Five dedicated paediatric operating theatre suites and two of these are state of the art laparoscopic theatres.
- First class facilities to allow parents to stay overnight.
- An ‘Amazing Interactives’ 3D system which aids distraction therapy (and gives fun) to children.
- MediCinema - a new 50 seat cinema to benefit children - blockbuster movies can be viewed with nursing staff, family members and carers in attendance.
- The Bridges School within The Great North Children’s Hospital provides accommodation, a classroom and ‘breakout’ space to support education of children within the hospital environment.
- Radio Lollipop studio - tremendous fun and entertainment!
See our website at www.gnch.nhs.uk