Liberty Bridge Road Practice

02084967000 40 Liberty Road, East Village, Stratford , London, Greater London, E20 1AS

Another wasted journey

This was my fourth visit to the clinic in a week because of the poor, uncoordinated way they organise patient treatment. I had been told by last week’s locum that if I wanted a mammogram (as I’m almost 52 and have a history in the family) I would need a referral which she didn’t have time to do. So I came back this morning, 0740, had to wait 20 minutes, saw another locum who didn’t know why I was there. When I explained I was told I needed to see him for a referral he said ‘no, just go online to the breast screening site’. I’ve been told three different things now by various people in the clinic, I’m still not scheduled for a mammogram, I’ve wasted an hour of my time and ten minutes of the locum’s. It’s a poorly run clinic with poorly informed gps, and no joined up service provision. The nurses and receptionists are generally lovely and do their best but their managers do not. It was great when it first opened but there has been a marked decline since the Hurley Group took over.

Visited in September 2018. Posted on 04 September 2018

Liberty Bridge Road Practice replied on 14 September 2018

I sincerely apologise for this poor experience which is not usual as we provide all doctors with details of local protocols and procedures for accessing external services. The first doctor should have explained that in Newham the breast screening service offers mammogram appointments to all ladies between the ages pf 50-70 on a three yearly cycle. If you havent received one yet then we must assume they will be in contact before your next birthday, but to make sure you are on their list would you call me on the number below so I can verify this for sure. Mid three year cycle, they will see patients where there are concerns and if this applies to you we can get an appointment arranged earlier.
May I take this opportunity to correct one aspect of your comment. The Hurley are the only provider ever to have been on this site as we started the Practice from scratch in 2013. I am sorry you feel there has been a decline in quality as we strive to provide a high level of care in a safe and welcoming environment. I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss your concerns, if you would be willing, or have you thought about joining the PPG and directly impacting our actions.

Senior Business & CQC Registered Manager
The Hurley Group

Doctor fails to turn up

Booked an appointment with a GP; upon arriving and waiting 30 minutes I chased the reception team and was informed that the doctor did not turn up for work.

When asked what was going to be done about the appointment I was told all other doctors are booked for the day.

How is a doctors practice unaware of one of their staff not turning up for work.

Visited in September 2018. Posted on 07 September 2018

Liberty Bridge Road Practice replied on 14 September 2018

Please accept our apologies for the issue that occurred when you attended recently. There are occasions when we get very short notice of a doctors non-arrival due to illness or family circumstances and we make every effort to accommodate affected patients when possible. However, we train our staff to keep patients fully informed of events which would seem not to have been your experience for which I further apologise. Unfortunately, as we have had a few no-shows in the past month I cannot identify which day you refer to and the staff involved without your assistance. Would you be so kind as to call or text the detail to the number below so we can investigate further.

Senior Business & CQC Manager for The Hurley Group

Anonymous gave Liberty Bridge Road Practice a rating of 2 stars

Arrived for appointment but then told it wasn’t happening

Had to have cervical smear but then after seeing the doctor also had to get some blood taken and see another doctor for a referral. None of these things could be combined so I have to come in for four separate appointments in a week. Arrived this morning for the cervical smear only to be told that the nurse is no longer allowed to do them. So I have to come back a fifth time in a week to have this done.

Visited in August 2018. Posted on 01 September 2018

Liberty Bridge Road Practice replied on 14 September 2018

I am extremely sorry for your experiences as they go against the grain of what we are trying to achieve. We have been exponents of the principles of LEAN for many years as it improves the patients pathway by reducing the number of different actions. We support non-clinical staff to train as phlebotomists so there are as many as possible available to take bloods opportunistically without second appointments, and encourage all doctors to apply as much of a "one-stop" ethos as is clinically safe and appropriate. Without being able to access your particular records I cannot investigate your assertions about the time frame as I know of no reason why the doctor who requested bloods couldnt do the referral, unless the content was dependent on the outcome of the tests. If you contact me I will look into this further, this also applies to the comment " nurse no longer allowed to do them" as I have no knowledge of any nurse working at the Practice who has lost their cytology accreditation.

The Hurley Group

Anonymous gave Liberty Bridge Road Practice a rating of 3 stars

RUDE RECEPTIONISTS AT THE MAIN ENTRANCE.

I recently visited the practice for my routine check-up. I checked in as usual using self service machine however I wanted to ask for something very simple and one of your receptionist was very rude at me. When I arrived the place was quiet and relaxed. She appeared to be annoyed that I approached her and she was not professional at all. The response was very negative and not helpful. She gave me directions rudely and aggressive. I was going to let go and keep quiet about it, but I thought this should not be happening. The practice general keeps changing receptionists, and when you call they appear unhelpful or impatient, sometimes hung-up before you finish speaking. I think they damaging the reputation of the practice.

When you ring, the receptionists seems not sure what to do and they keep you holding or going round the circles. I think things need to change or hire people who have caring skills and knowledge. Another thing is the receptionists are always laughing and appear not bothered about patients around. This is very unprofessional. Overall, the professionals were very good and listen to you. I have no concerns or issues with other professionals.

Visited in July 2018. Posted on 07 July 2018

Liberty Bridge Road Practice replied on 08 July 2018

I am very sorry your recent dealings with our reception team proved so unsatisfactory. We provide rigorous customer care training for all our front line staff and undertake secret shopper exercises to identify where they are not adhering to our code of conduct. That you have been subject to anyone rude or unhelpful is not acceptable and will be dealt with appropriately. However, without your help we cannot identify the people concerned, We know from feedback on this and other forums that many visitors to the building are very pleased with the reception team and we insist they wear name badges at all times so as to not criticise the many for the actions of the few. If you would be comfortable calling me on the number below, maybe we can establish who was involved.

Rina gave Liberty Bridge Road Practice a rating of 1 stars

worse service then ever

Very bad experience.after long waiting got appointment today. Dr she was so rude with me .i ask her about my repeat prescription and after I try to say one more problem she was saying how many problem I have got she can’t hear all of those problem together Cos she is running late .my question is if I can’t discuss my all problem that I have got do I need to book appointment for every single thing????And she’s running late not for me .At least 30 min for one patient they have to discuss all the thing and should ask the patient if they wanna ask them anything

Visited in July 2018. Posted on 14 July 2018

Liberty Bridge Road Practice replied on 30 July 2018

Thank you for posting this comment and I apologise if your experience fell below expectation, but without personal detail we cannot investigate your statements and act on them accordingly. If you contact the person detailed below we can establish which doctor you are referring to and establish the facts.

In general terms the slot allocation for an NHS GP appointment is ten minutes which is usually sufficient for one routine issue or two minor ones. Where a patient has complex needs the doctor will address them regardless of time scale but what we cannot facilitate is patients presenting with multiple issues to be covered at one appointment. This would be very unfair on patients waiting for allocated time slots.

Unlucky Patient gave Liberty Bridge Road Practice a rating of 1 stars

2 out of 2 bad experiences

Luckily I had to deal with this GP practice just rarely.
First time, a few months ago. The doctor refused to give me antibiotics because she didn't understand I had a violent infection ongoing. I had to go private and pay £300 just to have the antibiotics I obviously needed. Apparently the doctors are advised not to prescribe antibiotics, but in that case they were absolutely necessary and the doctors didn't even realize the situation.

Second time, this morning. I waited for more than half an hour, then I decided to ask for info. The receptionist just told me the doctor simply didn't show up this morning. HOW LONG DID I NEED TO WAIT BEFORE TELLING ME THAT THE DOCTOR WAS NOT THERE??? Appointment rescheduled (let's say, substituted with a phone call...) and morning lost.

I think you need decent doctors which (1) show up at work in the morning and (2) are able to recognize infection symptoms

Let's hope the third time won't be that serious because I'm a little concerned...

Visited in July 2018. Posted on 18 July 2018

Liberty Bridge Road Practice replied on 14 September 2018

Thank you for taking the time to post details of your experience and my apologies on behalf of the team that these have been negative of late. All doctors in the UK have been instructed to curtail over use of antibiotics as they are doing a lot of harm by creating resilient strains of infection that cannot be effectively treated. Many very severe infections are viral, so non-responsive to antibiotics, but they are whats known as "self-limiting" and the bodies natural resources will fight them off in its own time frame. It is often the case, therefore, that the timing of recovery mirrors the term of a course of antibiotics which gives the impression they were responsible for the infection clearing. That is not to say this was applicable in your case, but if your private doctor did take samples and establish a proven bacterial infection we could provide evidence to the doctor you saw here and ask for his reaction. All such episodes can prove learning points which we welcome.

As regards the "no-show_ doctor this can happen due to illness or family circumstances. In London it can also be traffic issues, but we do what we can to accommodate affected patients whenever possible. I am particularly concerned about the comment that you were not informed as this goes against our strict policy, so if you could make me aware of your appointment time I can investigate this further and take action to ensure it isn't repeated.
Senior Business & CQC Manager The Hurley Group

Anonymous gave Liberty Bridge Road Practice a rating of 1 stars

Impossible to get an appointment

impossible to get an appointment I’ve been try for a week because I’m worried about a breast abnormality. I got told there was an appointment in a week but that it had already gone. Then got told to call anytime for 8am at the weekend and ask for a doctors call back. I called at 10.30 and got told this was too late despite not being told this before. Told to call back another time and no appointments available. Terrible service what do I have to do to see someone? Receptionist just basically saying nothing they can do.

Visited in July 2018. Posted on 11 August 2018

Liberty Bridge Road Practice has not yet replied.

Monty Python's Surgery

This place is a joke. I see a different GP every time I go there and it takes them half of my 10 minutes to read everything about me. One GP is scheduling a blood test and the other one is surprised why was it scheduled. One is telling me they have to see me and yet there is someone else when I arrive and again: surprised why am I there, treating me like I'm an annoying fly. Waste of time and nerves.

Visited in June 2018. Posted on 13 June 2018

Liberty Bridge Road Practice replied on 08 July 2018

We welcome all feedback whether positive or negative as it informs our actions so I am sorry to read you feel we have fallen so far short of your expectations, you see fit to describe us as a joke. If you see a different GP each time that is your choosing for not specifying who you would like to see at your next appointment. We have five regular doctors and our sessional doctors have, for the most part, been with us for a number of years. In a facility that provides 75hrs opening hours over a 7 day period, the same GP may not be available at a specific time. Our receptionists will always offer the next available appointment but patients can elect see the same doctor as before by naming or asking the desk to book with the doctor from the last consultation. This provides patients with a choice of whether continuity or timing is most important to them. Different opinions can occur as to the scheduling of tests but without your detail we cannot investigate any of the statements made and provide you with a rationale. If you would like to take up that option then please call the mobile number below and I will be happy to look into your concerns.

Anonymous gave Liberty Bridge Road Practice a rating of 2 stars

Liberty Bridge Road Practice

I don’t understand why i have to call 10 times to the GP to make an appointment.. They never pick up the phone. Doesn’t matter if it’s working day or weekend. Appointment you will get after 2 weeks if you are lucky, if no, you will wait more. Every time different doctor... And receptionists like to give wrong information, thats way you need to call more times just to make sure. Even if u “got” appointment, You can not be sure that its booked for you, because receptionist may forget to book one for you.

Visited in May 2018. Posted on 20 May 2018

Liberty Bridge Road Practice replied on 11 July 2018

Thank you for taking the time to post details of your experiences and please accept our apologies that they have, of late, been quite negative. It may feel different at the other end of the phone but I can assure you our staff are answering calls 12hrs a day Mon-Fri and 6hrs a day on weekends. There is a huge volume of callers to the building as the number relates to all the other tenants providing NHS services not just the GP practice. Now it is fully occupied we are working with the landlords to customise the phone access to improve wait times and will keep our patients posted through our own web site, Our appointment wait times are audited regularly and last week showed routine appointments available in under five days. I appreciate timing is an issue for many of our working patients but we open as early as 7am through to 8pm and Sat/Sum so feel we have made every effort to meet that need.
If you always see a different doctor then that is of your choosing. We have five regular doctors and even our locums have been with us a long time. Staff are required to offer the next available appointment, it is for the patient to indicate if they want to see a particular doctor, either by name or reference to a previous consultation. Our extensive opening hours mean the same GP will not, necessarily, be available in the time frame requested.
Our frontline staff all receive regular customer care training but we follow that up with secret shopper reviews and always act when their performance falls short of our expectations. We insist they wear the name badges prominently and give their forename to any caller requesting it. Its unfair to catergorise all staff as failing, so we like to focus retraining and support where its needed. If you have an issue of this type please make the local manager aware, or if that is uncomfortable you can call me direct.

Constantly Poor Service

Having been registered at this Practice since April 2014 I have received constantly poor service. I have complex health problems but have never ever seen the same GP when attending for appointments (hence, no consistency of treatment or understanding).

Mostly managed by GP Locums.

I doubt if I am even registered as a Veteran!

Despite several requests to change my records to the correct name they have failed to do this .

There is minimal compassion or understanding of ones symptoms and concerns.

In general the service is extremely poor and how they managed to get a good from CQC is beyond me!

Visited in April 2018. Posted on 10 April 2018

Liberty Bridge Road Practice replied on 02 May 2018

I am very sorry for your dissatisfaction with the service we provide and am happy to meet up or telephone to discuss in depth. Although we always advocate patients using this forum to express their views it is anonymous so doesn't afford us the opportunity to investigate or challenge any of the comments made. If you always see different doctors that is from choice or because you request urgent or next available appointments. We have five salaried and three sessional doctos working here long-term and if you wish to always see one in particular it is your prerogative to ask for their next available slot. As for your name change, if it is supported by any formal documentation there is no problem and I will resolve this once I know your identity. NHS medical records are not owned by us but by the Secretary of State so there are some constraints on what and how we can effect alterations but I am sure we can sort it out. Likewise I will check if your records are READ coded for your veterans status. We did have a very positive outcome to our CQC inspection and I am glad to say that opinion is reflected in the feedback we get from many other patients on this and the other patient views forums. However, I accept this is not your view and wish to remedy that as soon as possible.

The Senior Business & CQC Manager