DOCKLANDS MEDICAL CENTRE

02075371444 100 Spindrift Avenue , London, Greater London, E14 9WU

Anonymous gave DOCKLANDS MEDICAL CENTRE a rating of 1 stars

Refused an appointment to do vaccines for my 6-month old son

I had an appointment with my 6-months old son at 8am to have the vaccines. As you may imagine bringing the baby this young cannot be done on a minute-by-minute basis – I arrived 15 minutes late (as the baby was crying on the way, wanted to nurse).

The member of staff at the reception desk refused the appointment and told me that my son cannot be seen today anymore. They said that the nurse took another patient already. Please note though that I stayed for almost an hour before leaving the centre and no patients left from the doctor’s/nurse’ office during my stay. When I asked the member of staff to tell the nurse that I will wait and if they finish with that patient earlier they can see me (obviously the nurse started with that patient supposedly earlier, if there ever was a patient!). The receptionist told me that they would. However I did not hear them call anyone. I went to a colleague-receptionist to ask whether the nurse accepted that I wait a bit, and that colleague told me that the nurse was informed by a text message and the nurse still did not respond. Some 40 minutes later, the first receptionist called me up and said the nurse will not see me. When I asked to see the response by text, the receptionist refused to show one and said the nurse replied by phone – however I was sitting there and did not see the receptionist talking over the phone! So quite clearly that was not a text as they first told me, and it could not have been a call because I did not hear one.

And my guess is that the nurse did not see anyone potentially till 8.50am and was never informed of me being there!

Please kindly note I asked the name of the receptionist, they wrote it on a piece of paper in a totally unreadable manner

Visited in October 2017. Posted on 03 October 2017

DOCKLANDS MEDICAL CENTRE replied on 05 October 2017

Although we appreciate all feedback on this forum, and thank you for yours, we also consider it appropriate to respond to any inaccuracies or misrepresentations by omission as is the case here.

As the events you related happened recently I was able to establish all the facts contemporaneously recorded which are as follows:

You recently registered at the Practice and although your history was transferred electronically, there was nothing for your baby who at six months’ has no prior NHS record. It was essential; therefore, we establish the current immunisation status and address any needs in that area, which is why a 30 minute appointment was allocated between 8-8.30am. You arrived at 8.23am thus leaving insufficient time to provide the level of service required in the best interests of the child. Although knowing our policy on late arrivals, the reception staff did ask the Nurse Practitioner (NP) if she could still see you, but having reviewed her appointment book for that morning she replied, she couldn’t fit a lengthy consultation in anywhere. What she did suggest was that you left the immunisation history with the desk, and she would enter all the details which would cut the need for the rebooked appointment down to 15 minutes, if that suited you better, or you could have a further 30 minute slot if you so wished. You declined both options.

At this point I must apologise for the delay in relaying the nurses’ response to you. The NP did send a screen message to the receptionists enquiry immediately, before calling in her 8.30 appointment, but a glitch in the clinical software meant it did not flash up on the desk screens downstairs. When the expected response hadn’t come through, the receptionist spoke to her and was advised as above. This delay, although regrettable did not, in any way, impact the outcome.
Your contention that no patients were seen by you "coming or going" can be disproved by the fact six consultations are recorded by various clinicians in the timeframe in question, including the one with the NP that started at 8.30am. The receptionist called the nurse so the phone wouldn’t have rung for that reason, but there were, in fact, numerous other incoming calls, as one would expect at that time of day. As for not showing you "the text" , as stated above, it was not visible until later but even if it had been we would never give patients access to our clinical screens as it could, potentially, compromise others confidentiality. As is our protocol, the staff member did provide you with her details. Given you made no comment about illegibility at the time, she had no reason to assume you could not read her name as written,

You verbally complained, of having been kept waiting for booked appointments, which I assume was at a previous surgery as you haven't had any appointments at DMC. However, it can and does happen here when the patients' needs over run an allotted time slot. It’s something we try to avoid, though never at the risk of a patients wellbeing. I am sure you would not want to have a consultation for either yourself or your baby curtailed just because the 10 mins allocated was up!

We always strive for good patient/practice relationships and hope we can put this behind us and continue to provide you and your family safe, effective care. As you haven’t yet rebooked for the necessary immunisations review may I suggest you consider the two options offered and contact us to make an appointment as soon as possible. On the day, you would have been offered one within 48hrs if you had agreed to the rebooking and we would always endeavor to get the baby seen on the earliest available date.

Myself and a senior Hurley manager are available to discuss this matter further if you contact me at the Practice.

selin karamizrak gave DOCKLANDS MEDICAL CENTRE a rating of 1 stars

everyone deserves to be responded decently

I had been trying to get an appointment for had a long time and for this medical center, you cannot get an appointment in two weeks. It is a miracle if you get one. It is always somehow full. When you get to the point to see the GP, it is very nice. The nurse that treated me was also very nice one time.

But : I have been registered to docklands medical center for more than 6 months now. I am educated, I am a working woman who moved to London recently. I can speak and understand English but obviously, I am not familiar with the healthcare procedures and I am also new to London I do not know any hospital or anything.

I had an appointment on Friday but I did not know that I should be checking in and I was the only one in front of them waiting and they did not even care to ask why I was here instead they were chatting with their coworkers. I waited there more than half an hour and I asked about my appointment after that they said that I should be checking in. This cost me an hour waiting and after that, I saw the doctor.

the doctor gave me a blood test form ( and they were a really great doctor ) and I should be giving my blood in the second day of my period. Today as soon as I was aware of it I called the docklands medical center to make an appointment for the blood test. They only responded that 2tomorrow is closed for blood testing and today is booked", I said that "but I should be giving my blood tomorrow this is specifically what my doctor required" and the responded with an angry voice and giving sighs " you can give your blood test in London hospital".

the service -if you call it service- that I am getting is not free, I am paying taxes deducted from my wages to get that service and someone who only cares about chatting with friends, is lack of giving any decent information about my medical support. and when I asked do you know the address of it, they said I should Google It! Whenever I talked to them, they were treating me like it is an extra energy to respond and I would not worth it.

I made a complaint to NHS as well and I will make this be heard to any authority that is responsible for the hiring process. I am not an animal I am a human being and I deserve to be treated decently. and you are responsible for making sure of that. there is surely a lack of monitoring!

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 15 August 2017

DOCKLANDS MEDICAL CENTRE replied on 19 September 2017

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback and raising your concerns regarding the service you experienced from our reception team.
We had tried to contact you before posting this response but to no avail.

You refer to two separate incidents, which, though involving different individuals based on your comments you believe it to have been the same person. I apologise on behalf of the team if you felt let down by the quality of our customer care, as we strive to provide excellent service from all our staff, as often endorsed by patients on this forum.

You mention being unaware of the need to either use the automated system or make your arrival known to the desk staff, which lead to you waiting 30 mins for one appointment. I am surprised at this as, since registration, you had visited on two occasions, prior to that Friday, and each time you checked in at the reception desk. There are numerous clinics running at any one time and the majority of patients do use the self check-in option so the desk staff are unaware who may or may not have arrived or even be a visitor accompanying a patient. On that particular day, the doctor was running late and I apologise for the wait, but this can occur depending on the severity of the clinical problems presented. As you know your own consultation ran well beyond the 10 minutes allocated, which is not that unusual as we do not want to rush patients, and risk missing a serious issue.

Our reason for wanting to contact you prior to this posting was to clarify your statement about a receptionist who ‘only cares about chatting with friends and is lacking in giving any decent information about your medical report’. We pride ourselves on customer satisfaction with our front line staff and would fully investigate if given more information on what occurred.

There can be odd occasions when we are unable to accommodate patients’ needs and in such situations they are directed to alternative services that will be able to help. I am disappointed reading you had been advised to ‘google it’, as this is an unacceptable response and not reflective of the standards we set ourselves and all our staff. I will raise this as a training issue with all the reception team.

I hope this addresses the concerns raised, however, should you wish to discuss further, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Anonymous reviewed DOCKLANDS MEDICAL CENTRE

Absolute disgrace

I have been with this surgery for a few years now. It was bad to start but has gotten progressively worse. The reception staff are rude and useless. There are always delays and they never apologise. Every time I need a prescription they screw it up. Every time. Without fail. Every time. It's unbelievable. And then they aren't even helpful or apologetic about fixing it.

They also don't have many permanent doctors and the wait for an appointment is regularly 2-3 weeks. One time I had waited my 2 weeks and got a phone call half an hour before I was due an appointment to say that the doctor wasn't coming in so I no longer had an appointment. Quite often you can't get an appointment with the same doctor because they don't know when or even if they will be back.

Then there are these ridiculous meetings that they text me about in the middle of the day in the week. Right. Now I have no idea what these meetings are as I've never bothered to look in to it. Because I can't go. Because like most people I have a job.

Today I went to pick up my prescription, I left work early, raced down and arrived at 6.28. I appreciate it's cutting it fine but it's really difficult for me to leave work early. And I needed that medicine. But as I arrive the receptionist is locking the door, looks me deadpan in the eye and says that now that they have turned the key there is nothing they can do. As I desperately plead with the receptionist that I need the medicine they then presses the shutter button on the other side bringing the shutters down in between us so that they can no longer see me. I have never experienced any such rudeness. There is one nice person on reception that I have dealt with and that is all. Well I will be re registering at a different surgery.

On a side note the nurse there is really lovely.

The surgery is probably fine if you rarely or never need to go to the doctor.

Visited in June 2017. Posted on 08 June 2017

DOCKLANDS MEDICAL CENTRE replied on 15 June 2017

Thank you for taking the time to post details of your experiences with the Practice. We welcome all feedback and use it to inform our actions.

Due to anonymity, I am unable investigate the specifics but have been able to ascertain certain facts which I would address as follows:

You have leveled criticism at the entire reception team but the reasoning behind it is unclear, especially as you go on to compliment one member of the team. We are very proud of the customer care provided by the non-clinical staff and the outcome of various independent surveys and other postings on this forum would justify this view.

The delays you mention, I assume, relate to GP appointments. Although every effort is made to run to time, the needs of the patient take precedence, so delays will occur when the level of seriousness warrants contacting third parties e.g. an ambulance and holding discussions with colleagues in secondary care. We try to dissuade patients presenting with a shopping list as that will also inconvenience waiting patients but if only told the most serious item at the end, our duty of care prohibits delaying taking action Whatever the cause we do try to keep delays to a minimum, and how long you were kept waiting on each occasion can be determined by an audit of the contemporaneous entries as too can your allegation we always "screw up" your medication.

We have clear evidence that refutes your statement that wait time to see a doctor is 'regularly 2-3 weeks'. Our average wait time for a routine GP appointment is 5-7 working days. Exceptions to this usually occur during school holidays which can prove challenging if a need to employ locums arises. However, even in those rare circumstances availability of routine appointments has not exceeded 10 working days. The exceptions to this are where patients wish to see a specific doctor or in a restricted time frame. When a doctor needs to cancel on the day, e.g. sickness, family crisis we do our very best to accommodate booked patients and fulfill their needs. We employ three salaried doctors and one long-term registrar offering hundreds of appointments between them each week. For planned absences we utilise the Hurleys own agency to provide replacement cover, in an effort to maintain continuity, but obviously the detailed records kept of all contacts allow any doctor to familiarise themselves with your records and address any needs.

The invitations you describe as ’ridiculous meetings' are intended to permit patients to feedback experiences which .may inform and benefit all patients. We have historically tried hosting the meetings outside of 'working hours' but the turnout numbers were insufficient to continue. To facilitate engagement with our working population, the text does ask for emails us of ideas/suggestions to discuss.

Your latest complaint relates to the events of Thursday 8th June when you turned up to collect a prescription only to find the front access locked and a staff member in the process of lowering the security blind. You state that this was before our closing time of 18.30 but that simply is not true. It was gone that time when the door was locked as can be verified by a visitor who made a point of saying to the desk staff that as it was after 18.30 they presumed the front door was locked and they needed to exit from the rear of the building. I fully appreciate how frustrating it must have been but we must adhere to a cut off point for reasons of safety as to how many staff are still on site. We try to assist our working patients by co-operating with all the local pharmacists re implementing electronic transfer of prescriptions, and posting out paper versions if patients (as many do) leave a stock of stamped addressed envelopes with reception.

If you wish to discuss any of the foregoing or wish to enable an investigation by releasing your personal details, then please contact me and I will be happy to assist.

Very pleased

I've been with the practice for about 4 years. I have had a few worrying health issues the past 2 years. I was always taken seriously and the doctors made sure I was referred to tests and specialists. I have always got appointments fast enough to keep me satisfied. Sadly I've now moved out of the area and have had to change my practice but I would definitely rejoin this practice if back in E14.

Visited in January 2017. Posted on 18 April 2017

DOCKLANDS MEDICAL CENTRE replied on 20 April 2017

Thank you for taking the time to reflect on your experiences at Docklands Medical now you have left the area. We hope your new GP proves just as satisfactory.

Anonymous gave DOCKLANDS MEDICAL CENTRE a rating of 5 stars

Nurses are the nice, sensible and helpful

I had 2 great experiences with the nurses and staff there. The first time (in 2015) I was too nervous. But the 2 nurses are nice and patience . They told me what they were going to do and try to make to feel relaxed. (the male doctor in different occasion was nice on consultation as well). The second time (in 2016) - I called for an appointment. The line was quickly picked-up and the staff was patiently listening what kind of help I need and arrange the booking for me. The receptionist was really a warm person.

Visited in November 2016. Posted on 01 August 2017

DOCKLANDS MEDICAL CENTRE has not yet replied.

Excellent GP and Medical

I was a patient of this surgery for 5 years (up to Nov 2016) and would fully recommend to anyone. I have always found the doctors, nurses and receptionists to be very friendly and have never felt rushed during an appointment. The nurses and doctors take time to listen and answer all questions in detail as well as consulting you on your preferred treatments. Appointments are easy to book and they run early morning appointments (7.15am) so I never have to take time off work for an appointment.

Visited in November 2016. Posted on 14 November 2016

DOCKLANDS MEDICAL CENTRE replied on 20 April 2017

Thank you for your positive feedback. We share all comments with the entire team and reflect on them good or bad. It is always a boost to hear from patients who appreciate our efforts to provide a good service.

Always helpful!

Wonderful team working at the DMC, they are always helpful and patient. One member of staff are wonderful and I would definitely recommend the facilities to anyone living in the area.

Visited in October 2016. Posted on 18 October 2016

DOCKLANDS MEDICAL CENTRE replied on 24 October 2016

Thank you for feeding back your experience with staff members at Docklands Medical Centre. It is always encouraging to know the efforts made by the team meet your expectations. Your comment has been shared with the whole team.

Anonymous gave DOCKLANDS MEDICAL CENTRE a rating of 5 stars

Very pleased with the service I have received

We moved back to E14 after 10 years away and were previously registered elsewhere. I had low expectations of this practice as my previous experience with my old GP practice was mostly disappointing. I have been very pleasantly surprised by the service I have received at Docklands Medical Centre and can only praise their staff. Following a recent bout of ill health I have encountered GPs, locums, nurses and reception staff on numerous occasions. Everyone has been kind, courteous and efficient and I am so pleased we decided to register here and can only recommend it to others.

Visited in September 2016. Posted on 21 September 2016

DOCKLANDS MEDICAL CENTRE replied on 24 October 2016

Thank you for your comment. We are pleased to hear your experiences with us have been positive and hope your stay with us remains to the same standards you describe.

Flexible and kind

I have been a patient at the surgery for approximately 9 years.

I was able to get an appointment quickly and without fuss. I required bloodworm and was able to get in swiftly.

All staff are kind and patient focused. They go the extra mile, all staff from the front desk to locum doctors.

Many thanks, A

Visited in June 2016. Posted on 13 June 2016

DOCKLANDS MEDICAL CENTRE replied on 17 August 2016

Thank you for taking the trouble to post details of your satisfaction with the service provided by Docklands Medical Centre.

We share all comments on this forum with the staff and use them as learning tools to both improve and sustain our care delivery. It is particularly satisfying, therefore, when a patient tells we are getting things right.

Resume

Not overcrowded
15 min average time waiting to get to the appointment
Helpful staff
Caring and welcoming professionals
Gentle nurses with the pacient and proceedings
Online booking system a bit disspointing

Visited in April 2016. Posted on 05 April 2016

DOCKLANDS MEDICAL CENTRE replied on 01 June 2016

Thank you for your feedback and experience at Docklands Medical Centre.

You mention you are disappointed with the online booking system. We would like to hear from you to clarify what the system may be lacking.
Please feel free to contact the surgery and ask to speak to the practice manager.

We look forward to hearing from you.