01469572058 Pilgrim Primary Care Centre, Pelham Road , Immingham, DN40 1JW

Truly appalling service

Rang up first thing for an appointment for on the day or nurse triage appointment for an eczema/dermatitis complaint recurring after pause of a year or so since last incident that required GP surgery input.

Spoke to a receptionist that was blunt to the point of rudeness. Described generalised weeping, itchy eczema to both hands, both feet, and patches on leg and abdomen. Described not resolving or improving post eumovate (moderate potency steroid) use from pharmacy.

She never asked for my name, so I assume never opened or brought up my records.

Refused nurse triage as it 'wouldn't be classed as urgent' in one moment and because 'they couldn't do it if I hadn't had it for a while anyway' in the next. Given that she asked no questions about my condition, duration etc., didn't take my name, didn't pause to ask a senior etc. and given the history above I don't believe that this was a clinically accurate or appropriate determination.

No 'on the day appointments' either, apparently. Offered me a single doctor appointment in a few days time. I couldn't make that one due to work commitments. No alternative was offered or available.

As a matter of necessity triage does start with reception (as they are the first point of contact) it should not end there.

There has been a steady, general decline in the surgery as evidenced (at least in part) by the recent Ipsos MORI conducted GP Patient survey.

Visited in August 2018. Posted on 14 August 2018

The Roxton Practice replied on 14 August 2018

Many thanks for taking the time to leave feedback on your recent contact with the practice. We are disappointed that your experience does not seem to be to the level we expect.

We would very much appreciate it if you would contact our Front of House Manager so that she may investigate your experience.

The Roxton practice

complaint

On Friday the 17th August at approx 1-45 p.m. , my wife Mrs Delta R approached you reception desk at he Immingham Health Centre , and requested a DS 1500 (Attendance Allowance ) Report to be Processed by her Doctor, the receptionist agreed to do so , on returning one full week later to collect same , Reception Denied all knowledge of such a request , my wife is very distressed of this course of events , and am now seeking to take this matter further

Visited in August 2018. Posted on 26 August 2018

The Roxton Practice replied on 08 October 2018

Thank you for taking the time to bring this to our attention. We are sorry for any upset that may have been caused. Please would you contact our Operations manager at the surgery so that we may fully investigate this matter.

Anonymous gave The Roxton Practice a rating of 5 stars

Roxton Practice

Just had my implant put in, amazing doctor and nurse, helped me so much when getting nervous, didn't even feel it because I was too busy chatting!

Visited in July 2018. Posted on 24 July 2018

The Roxton Practice replied on 26 July 2018

Many thanks for your wonderful comments. We are so pleased our staff were able to help make this procedure less stressful for you.

Roger Bucknall gave The Roxton Practice a rating of 5 stars

Roxton Practice Immingham

I have been a patient of the Dr for a number of years
Although I have not had to visit him very often, I can appreciate all his expertise & organisation when I have visited him
He is extremely knowledgeable & understanding of any symptoms, explaining these & willing to try different medicines
I can fully recommend him & the Practice
Roger Bucknall

Visited in July 2018. Posted on 14 August 2018

A steady decline

In my opinion I have had past positive experiences here. More recently I find reception staff to be rude/ dismissive , ineffective and unhelpful ( there are few exceptions to this) . The telephone repeat prescription line is extremely poor having had several attempts at this and latterly waiting almost 50 minutes for a response. Once this debarkle was resolved ie two separate calls to the surgery whilst on hold, I returned to collect said prescription only to find my confidential information has been shared with a pharmacy not involved in my care or treatment. The response, it wasn’t us!? The mind boggles. We’ll look into it and call you back today - no return call!! . Though I will be in direct communication about this.

The gps and nurses however are very helpful and we have never had complaint there. Shame about front of house.

Visited in March 2018. Posted on 22 March 2018

Anonymous gave The Roxton Practice a rating of 1 stars

Disgraceful most of the time

Over half an hour just to get through to a receptionist on the phone, nearly all the time. When you do finally get through they want to know all your problems, fare enough whatever, but then don't give you an appointment for three weeks if at all. Most of the time it's oh go to virgin care we're too busy. Well no I will not go to virgin care I can not get there, you're my doctor surgery you should be sorted it not another one. Bloody disgusting also very uncaring reseptionist whether your an adult or a child they couldn't care less

Visited in February 2018. Posted on 12 March 2018

The Roxton Practice replied on 26 July 2018

Thank you for your feedback, I am very disappointed to hear you have not had a positive experience. I am sorry you seem to have had a long wait on the telephone to get through to the practice, this is not a typical wait time and will be investigated. Please also be assured that any other service you were recommended to was to attempt to make sure you were offered an appointment at the earliest convenience with the most appropriate service for your condition.

As we have commented previously the challenges facing General Practice are national. The majority of GP practices are feeling the pressure of demand for GP appointments but have a lack of GPs. The Roxton practice has been extremely lucky and have managed to recruit a further 3 GPs within the last 12 months but still feel the pressure of increasing demand for GP appointments.

To complement our GP appointments and increase capacity we have also recruited other health care professionals at the practice such as clinical pharmacists. Our reception staff also has information on specialist services, Virgin Care is one of the services our staff are able to refer patients with certain conditions to, they are not another GP practice.

The role of our receptionists is to identify the most suitable staff member or service for the patient. This ensures the patient is seen at the earliest opportunity by the most appropriate health professional. This is the reason we ask our reception staff to ask questions. Our reception staff are not qualified to make clinical assessments or give medical advice nor are they attempting to by asking patients questions. They are trained and have guidance from our GPs as to which clinician or service is most appropriate to offer to patients for certain conditions.

Anonymous gave The Roxton Practice a rating of 3 stars

Rude reception staff

Reception/front of house staff have been rude and dismissive everytime I have visited the practice or spoken to them on the phone. The most recent time I rang up to cancel and rearrange an appointment and the receptionist didn't even say bye or conclude the call, just hung up as I was still talking. Absolutely no customer service skills. However I have never had any bad experiences with nurses or GP staff, all lovely, professional and attentive. Just a Shane about the lack of people skills and professionalism from reception staff.

Visited in January 2018. Posted on 08 April 2018

kevin houghton gave The Roxton Practice a rating of 1 stars

consultants report

received a letter from roxton practice telling me they had received a report from one of my consultants at hull royal and would i make a appointment to see them, this i tried to do and was told the first available was in two weeks unless it was urgent , my answer was i had not seen the report so did not know if it was urgent

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 14 August 2017

The Roxton Practice replied on 26 July 2018

Thank you for your comments. I would like to assure you that we do currently have an administration procedure in place for these circumstances. If a GP wishes you to attend the surgery you will be contacted, usually by phone. If we are unable to contact you by phone we will write to you and we will include an indication of the level urgency.

I apologise for any inconvenience you experienced and will be sure to raise the issue with our front of house team.

Anonymous gave The Roxton Practice a rating of 4 stars

Service good but automated appointment system inadequate

In general I am happy with the service received from the practice. Yes, there can be long delays for routine appointments but the option to attend and wait in the clinic on the same day after speaking to a nurse is useful and has been beneficial to me on several occasions.

On one occasion I made a telephone appointment with a doctor as this was sufficient for my needs and a face to face appointment was too far in the future. However I only received a text message response rather than the telephone call and would have preferred to discuss my particular issue relating to medication I was taking at the time.

I have tried to use the automated appointment booking system on several occasions (for both doctor and nurse appointments) but on each occasion as I get deeper into the system I am eventually told that appointment couldn't be made and I am kicked off the line! I have resorted to waiting to speak to the receptionists who are clearly busy due to the queue that is usually evident. If the automated system was reliable it would reduce the burden on the staff who could deal with more patients who require a conversation.

There are clearly issues with the number of people wanting appointments and the available staff but I have generally found that the service is as good as can be expected.

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 16 June 2017

This Practice, my view

Overall I think this is an excellent practice. I have always been able to see a GP when I need to, but not often the one I would like. I have always experienced pleasant and respectful treatment by all the staff. In the past I have found the emergency and small injuries dept very good. I am however not happy at all with the idea of having to resort to using the phone to describe symptoms etc. I find that threatening.I also find it best to go into the surgery to make appointments, it is quicker and more personal. The prescription dispensary is always especially helpful.The diagnoses of my husband`s problems has been early and spot on, thank you.

Visited in January 2017. Posted on 14 January 2017

The Roxton Practice replied on 26 July 2018

Thank you so much for your feedback. It’s important to celebrate positive experiences, lessons are learned from when things go well too.

We have commented on the national struggle all GP practices are experiencing recruiting GPs in previous replies and these are still valid. We monitor our appointment system regularly to make sure we are doing our best to deliver services to our patients but still feel the pressure of demand for GP appointments. To complement our GP appointments and increase capacity we also have other health care professionals at the practice such as clinical pharmacists.

The role of our receptionists is to identify the most suitable staff member or service for the patient. This ensures the patient is seen at the earliest opportunity by the most appropriate health professional. This is the reason we ask our reception staff to ask questions. Our reception staff are not qualified to make clinical assessments or give medical advice and are not attempting to by asking patients questions. They are trained and have guidance from our GPs as to which clinician or service is most appropriate for certain conditions. Our staff are also all bound by confidentiality.

I am sorry that you find booking an appointment over the phone threatening, please be assured that our reception staff are also trained that sometimes patients do not wish to disclose this information. This is perfectly okay; it just helps when it is possible.