GP Led Walk-in Centre New Cross

02030492370 Suite 3 Waldron Health Centre, Amersham Vale , London, Greater London, SE14 6LD

Brilliant walk in service

Used the walk in service. Called ahead to check opening times. Brilliant reception staff. Waited 1 hour to see GP which was much less than I had anticipated. The NHS at its best

Visited in October 2017. Posted on 29 October 2017

GP Led Walk-in Centre New Cross has not yet replied.

Brilliant walk-in

Attended late on a Sunday as both I and my baby were ill. There was very little queue and we didn't have to wait long to be seen. The clinician was extremely thorough and efficient. I felt we were both in very good hands. Excellent to have this kind of service available in the evening when you have a poorly baby but it's not serious enough to visit A&E.

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 28 August 2017

GP Led Walk-in Centre New Cross replied on 19 September 2017

Thank you, so much for your positive comments - regarding your recent Sunday visit to the Walk in Clinic. Glad to know that you felt the Clinician was thorough when treating you and your baby.

Take care

Very good experience

I understand that the clinic is incredibly busy, but the receptionists were clear and polite. They do not give out waiting times to anyone who requested for them (none that I have been to have done this either), but I was seen in order and in under two hours (it took an hour and 35 minutes for me), which I can say from experience was very impressive. This did not mean that they compromised on the time spent with me, I didn't feel rushed out. The clinicians were really nice and caring. I've never left a review for a clinic before because of previous bad experiences, but I felt the need to write a positive one. Thank you.

Visited in July 2017. Posted on 06 July 2017

GP Led Walk-in Centre New Cross replied on 24 July 2017

Thank you for your positive comments.

Its great that you have noted that we are a busy Walk in Clinic service and noted that we were successful in seeing and treating you in less than two hours.

Furthermore we are very pleased that you were impressed with our clinicians and Reception team.

We will relay your wonderful comments at our next meeting.

Hurley at Waldron/New Cross Gp Walk in Clinic

CVed gave GP Led Walk-in Centre New Cross a rating of 1 stars

Service failure and inefficiency

Today, I visited the centre due to a concern about my upper inner canthus of my right eye which has been sore, inflammed, throbbs when accidentally touched and has been affecting vision on the same eye Arrived at 8:15 and was instructed to wait. I waited for more than an hour and when i asked reception at 09:30, was told the receptionist has not marked me as arrived. They tried to speak with the allocated doctor and has refused to see me as I was deemed 45 minutes late!! No resolution offered, except for a reschedule of a telephone conversation at 11:30. The point that I visited is that I wanted someone to have a look at the problem and not chat about it as a telephone triage and only to be told they will need to see me and need to come in.

I have taken the morning off work so i can finally address the problem but it seems my time has been wasted. It was not in any way my fault to have been marked late or a no show so I think duty of practice has not been done in finding a resolution to what has occured. Nor did i feel anyone willing to offer any duty of candour was on offer as I was left in the dark as to how this all happened. I trully feel my patient experience has been one of the worst recently in this practice. I have for the last three years tried a few appointments in your centre and now feel i have been failed today just as it was on two other previous visits/occassions.

I have tried to speak to the Practice Manager but was told they were not in. i was then given a peice of paper to write my complaint in and said Practice Manager will ring me at one point. Was there not anyone who coordinates the palce in their abscence?

Needing some help and explainaition, I feel at a loss at how do I get better service?

Visited in June 2017. Posted on 06 June 2017

GP Led Walk-in Centre New Cross replied on 08 June 2017

Thank you for your comments dated 6th June.

I am sorry your visit on Tuesday was not a positive experience.

We spoke to the Receptionists who were present at that time, and they do apologise for not arriving you when they booked your appointment for 8:30. This was a mistake on our part and we should have offered you an appointment with the Doctor or another Doctor on site there and then.

As part of Reception Training we will make it clear from the outset that when a Receptionist books an appointment that they ensure they click arrive on the system.

I am sorry I did not get a chance to speak to you in person on Tuesday, I was on annual leave. My Deputy the Receptionist Supervisor was on site, who would have been able to assist, with a view to providing you with a satisfactory resolution. Learning from the events it is clear the line of communication and chain of command should have been more effective. I would like to reassure you that we have reiterated to all the Reception team that in my absence to always inform the Reception Supervisor whenever a patient is frustrated with the service they are receiving.

Once again on behalf of the practice I do apologise profusely for what had happened to you.

Anonymous gave GP Led Walk-in Centre New Cross a rating of 2 stars

Useless appointment

I understand this is a walk-in clinic so I guess waiting 1.5 hours was okay. What wasn't okay was that about 2 mins into my appointment, the we get interrupted by someone asking the doctor a question they don'teven know how to answer. Erm this is my appointment and it is rude to just walk in.
The doctor I was was the same one I saw a few months ago at my GP surgery. The reason o came here was because it was a Saturday and my surgery wasn't open. The same doctor saw me and was just as dismissive as in the previous appointment. Vaguely said something about IBS and wrote down some medication that they said would be available over the counter. Turns out one of them is prescription only. I was also addressed by my last name not my first name and felt I was not treated with any dignity as I was also slightly embarrassed by the problem I was going there with. Instead I was spoken to like a child and given minimum time. I was not properly examined and rushed out of the room. Not very happy at all, especially with being interrupted.

Visited in June 2017. Posted on 21 June 2017

GP Led Walk-in Centre New Cross replied on 23 June 2017

I am very pleased to note your positive feedback regarding the waiting time. We aim to see patients within 120 min, in your case we met that target.

I am sorry the rest of your experience had been negative. Without knowing the specifics, it is difficult for me to comment. There are occasions when other clinicians on site may urgently need advice or to cross check a prescription , which may involve the Dr’s opinion. I do regret that your consultation was interrupted, this is not satisfactory, and we will reflect on how this could have been better managed.

We note your comments regarding the GPs dismissive communication during your visit. We are sorry you found the Doctor unhelpful and made you feel embarrassed.

I want to reassure you that I am taking your comments very seriously, and in order for me to investigate your concerns more thoroughly, I would need more specific details. As your comment was anonymous, please could you contact me so that I can specifically investigate your concerns.

Hurley at Waldron/New Cross GP walk in Clinic

Anonymous gave GP Led Walk-in Centre New Cross a rating of 2 stars

Waiting time too long. Treatment fine.

When you ring at 8am, you need to ring a few times to get through and there is no answer phone message to indicate that you are actually ringing a doctors' surgery. When seeing a doctor at this surgery (as a registered patient) I have never been seen on time. My appointment was before 10am but I was seen at least half an hour late. Although the reception staff have always been polite to me, I have often observed them being, to put it as politely as I can, unhelpful to patients whose first language is not English.
The nurse has usually seen me on time and is very nice. The doctors are fine.
The waiting room could be better - it's hot, uncomfortable and uncared for.

Visited in May 2017. Posted on 08 May 2017

GP Led Walk-in Centre New Cross replied on 17 May 2017

Thank you for your comments. I am very pleased to note your positive feedback regarding the Nurse and Doctors and will share this with them.

We are in the process of installing a telephone queuing system, very soon, which will inform patients where they are in the queue. In addition the telephone system will enable messages to be heard in the background, whilst the caller is waiting (e.g. Online Access). Our telephones are very busy during peak periods, usually between 8-10am and 5:00pm- 7:00pm. We do encourage patients to make appointments via our online access or to call during less busy times if their call is for less pressing issues.

We are sorry to hear that you have, on occasion, not been seen on time for your GP appointment. Routine GP appointments are 10 minutes long and whilst our GPs try to consult within this time, there may be occasions when the consultation overruns. We do try to keep patients informed if there is to be a long delay.

We do offer a variety of ways to get help for medical problems:

• eConsults – an online consultation tool to get advice and treatment within 1 day
• Telephone Consultations
• Patient Access – enables patients to book appointments, order repeat prescriptions online. It’s quick, easy and your information is secure. If you have not already done so, please come into Reception, and we can register you for online access.

I note your comments regarding the Reception staff and I am pleased that you have found they have always been polite to you. Regarding Reception staff communicating with patients where English is not their first language, it is not the staff members intention to be unhelpful. Our team undertake annual Customer Service Training and do their best to be pleasant and informative to all patients irrespective of their level of English.

We are sorry to hear about your comments regarding the waiting room. The room temperature, is controlled by our estates team at approximately to 24 degrees Celsius all year round, and this is generally a comfortable temperature to consult patients. Since 24.10.2016 we did replace all the broken chairs with infection control compliant seating. The waiting room now has thematic notice boards – including photographs of all our staff members, and Walk-in Information Notices in Spanish, as this is key foreign language used by a proportion of our patients. We feel that these are positive improvements for our patients.

Regards

Hurley at Waldron/New Cross GP Walk in Centre

Anonymous gave GP Led Walk-in Centre New Cross a rating of 1 stars

terrible service- waste of time

will never attend this walk in again. after waiting for close to 3hours for the GP to see my daughter, i was told that nothing is wrong with her ( a child that has been ill for 3 days and stoolong for 2 days!). out of anger i went to see my actual GP ( i was given an appointmnet for 6pm that same day but couldnt wait for the time, the reason i went to the walk in) thank God i did not reject the appointment. my GP told me my daughter has infection and was prescribed antibiotics and some other medication to the same child the walk-in center GP said they cant find nothing wrong with her. it was an absolute wait of time

Visited in May 2017. Posted on 08 May 2017

GP Led Walk-in Centre New Cross replied on 16 May 2017

Thank you for your comments.

I am very sorry to hear your young daughter had a long wait and that you were not satisfied with our GP’s diagnosis. The walk in Centre operates primarily on a first come, first served basis, and as such it is a sit and wait service. We do prioritise medically urgent or emergency cases and we do our best to see patients within a reasonable timeframe of 2 hours. We always inform patients if there are to be any delays and we have introduced a notice to indicate current wait times so that patients can make informed decisions

Hurley at Waldron/New Cross GP walk in Clinic

Marta gave GP Led Walk-in Centre New Cross a rating of 5 stars

Walk in center of choice

Dear Patients,

I'm surprised and shocked by negative reviews left on New Cross walk in center.

It was my 3rd visit to New Cross over past 5 years. I only go there if I need medical help straight away (flu, really bad allergic reaction). Yes, you have to wait. Guess what ..it is walk in center. Waiting time is around 1.5 h which is reasonable for walk in center. Atmosphere in waiting room is usually quite tense (everyone is in pain and suffers) but reception cools their jets in tactfull manner.

Visited in May 2017. Posted on 15 May 2017

GP Led Walk-in Centre New Cross replied on 16 May 2017

Dear Marta,

Thank you for your positive feedback.

It is always good to hear from patients when things go well. We greatly appreciate your comments which reflect the nature of what a walk in clinic is and the expectations. Your sentiments reflect the majority of what patients say to us when they attend the Walk in Clinic, in addition over 75% of our patients are seen within the 2 hr. time frame.

I will pass on your feedback to our Reception team, once again thank you for acknowledging the hard work they do.

Anonymous gave GP Led Walk-in Centre New Cross a rating of 1 stars

Terrible walk-in patient experience

I had symptoms of a skin infection and was due to go away. So that it wouldn't be problematic I needed a prescription and further advice regarding lancing. Unfortunately I couldn't get a same-day appointment at my GP surgery so this was my only option. I hadn't been here before and I would certainly think twice before returning, even if I really needed the service.

Before I list the many reasons for the 1-star review, I will briefly say that the receptionists are doing excellent work remaining calm, polite, and professional, explaining processes for walk-in services clearly. On registering, it was explained to me that lancing was not available here but I could get a prescription and further advice. As my condition looked minor, I was happy that this would be sufficient. While I was waiting, one particular receptionist spent a long time patiently trying to communicate with several non-English patients and did an outstanding job. Sadly, that is the only good comment I have.

Firstly, the waiting room has to be one of the worst experiences I have ever had - this building is simply not designed for purpose at all. It's one of those modern buildings that manages to create echoes everywhere. Add to this: doors that slam shut very loudly, a rubbish bin with a foot pedal crashing shut, and children playing with one of those wooden clacking toys and you get the picture... Let's not forget - this is a GP service waiting room where you are bound to have conversations and restless children playing. It was a busy day, the room was full, and I had a long wait of over an hour. The room alone made me feel ill and I dread to think how patients with headaches or physical pain would feel!
On the day of my visit, the dot matrix screen for walk-in patients was out of order, so GPs were calling names from down the corridor. Unfortunately, with so much echo in the room from conversations, it was hard to hear names being called. If it wasn't for this, I would have used headphones and had a better experience, but I was anxious at missing my name being called.

During my appointment, I became increasingly concerned. I later learnt that they were a Nurse rather than a GP. They had an odd way of speaking, repeated themselves, and a vacant manner. My common English name was mispronounced. When I asked for advice on whether antibiotics would clear my skin and they repeated "Are you brave... I can cut it here?". The receptionist explicitly explained that they have a no-Iancing policy and I reminded her but they continued to offer. They recommended that I go to Urgent Care Centre (Lewisham A&E) who were very surprised at my referral (I had wasted 3hrs!) and later explained that antibiotics would be sufficient.
I was given a prescription and they asked about the date of my last period which seemed unrelated to my health complaint. What gave me serious cause for concern is that I was not asked if I was allergic to penicillin before being prescribed penicillin based antibiotics.

Visited in April 2017. Posted on 11 May 2017

GP Led Walk-in Centre New Cross replied on 30 May 2017

Thank you for taking the time to post your concerns and we apologise if your perception of our services fell below your expectations. Unfortunately due to the anonymity of this forum we cannot verify the details as declared by yourself. As a general rule we do not usually undertake lancing and drainage as it is done in a more controlled clinical environment. I am more than happy to fully investigate if you would contact me as this is the only way we can give an informed response.

As for the waiting area, this was just recently commented on favourably in our CQC report as being clean, comfortable and fit for purpose. We have to meet the needs of the many and that means a minimal approach, in a safe environment, which includes items such as lidded waste bins. We provide a range of information, including details of our team, as we feel that enables patients and carers to approach their consultations with confidence.

You are quite correct in saying that, if not having access to the patients records, it is good practice to inquire about allergies. This, too is something we could only verify from your actual notes. As for the inquiry about menstruation, I assume you are of child bearing age and there are antibiotics that are best avoided during the first trimester, so the clinician was acting in your best interests.
I am available to discuss this either face to face or during a telephone call as suits you

Hurley at Waldron & New Cross GP Walk in Clinic

Anonymous gave GP Led Walk-in Centre New Cross a rating of 4 stars

Treatment received was brilliant

I attended this GP practice as a walk in patient and I was seen on the sameday by a Doctor. The staff and Doctor were pleasant. The Doctor made me relax and I was thoroughly examined. I was diagnosed and I was given a prescription. The Doctor took their time and explained the problem and what i needed to look out for in case my situation worsened. The Doctor was well experienced and i was pleased with the service and treatment I received.

Visited in April 2017. Posted on 26 April 2017

GP Led Walk-in Centre New Cross replied on 11 August 2017

Thank you for your wonderful comments about the treatment you received during your visit. I will relay your comments at our next practice meeting.