Wilmslow Health Centre

01625548555 Chapel Lane , Wilmslow, Cheshire, SK9 5HX

redroofs5 gave Wilmslow Health Centre a rating of 4 stars

Wilmslow Health Centre

The surgery is generally well run and I have confidence in the expertise of the doctors and associated staff.
The prevailing negative is the lead time for appointments and this has become worse over the last year or so. Having said that, if your requirement is deemed urgent then you can normally be seen that day. It just seems to be a bit of a lottery when it comes to routine appointments and this must be a worry for patients who must make frequent visits to the doctor and particularly so for the elderly. A new development for sheltered accommodation for the elderly is currently being built immediately opposite the surgery. This will no doubt pile on more pressure for medical services.

Visited in June 2018. Posted on 18 June 2018

Wilmslow Health Centre replied on 19 June 2018

Dear Anonymous,

Thanks for your feedback. We are glad that Wilmslow Health Centre continues to provide medical services that inspire patient confidence. You are quite right in pointing out that access to routine NHS GP appointments across the UK has become increasingly difficult over the past decade. As everyone is aware, there has been a recruitment and retention crisis in General Practice for the greater part of a decade. In addition, the demand for appointments with clinicians has rocketed over the past decade. Our registered patient list size has also increased substantially as more patients move from elsewhere. NHS England forbid GP surgeries from limiting or closing their registered patient lists so we are unable to prevent patients from registering with us. It appears that successful surgeries that provide good care may be the victims of their own success. We share your frustration and urge you to hold your elected representatives to account.

Anonymous gave Wilmslow Health Centre a rating of 2 stars

Cancellations slots and receptionists

I rang up to see if my one year old could be seen by the doctor as she had a rash appearing on the corners of her mouth. It was afternoon and this was not apparent in the morning so I couldn't ring up at 8am like they want you to. I was told there were no slots. I asked if there were any cancellation slots available and was told no for today or tomorrow. I asked if one became available could they ring me back.. Answer was no we are too busy! I work within the NHS and also within a practice and I can assure you we are also very busy in fact busier than this practice, but we ask our receptionists to ensure if a slot becomes available to ring a patient back if they have asked so. It doesn't take much to make a note and communicate it to the receptionist sitting next you.

I would advise this practice to
1. Spread out there emergency slots throughout the day... So make a few available in the afternoon. I have rang even early morning but not 8am and have been told all slots have gone by 10am
2. Ring patients back if a cancellation slot becomes available. Its stupid to think they would rather keep that slot unfilled rather than ring another patient back and offer it to them because they are 'too busy'

The doctors are decent but it's getting past the receptionist which is an issue...they don't even seem remotely concerned that your ill or your worse still your baby is ill. Sometimes they interrupt half way through while your speaking to explain your illness and simply say '. DATE OF BIRTH `

Visited in May 2018. Posted on 16 May 2018

Dear Anonymous,

Thanks for leaving your feedback and your advice on running our appointments system. As you know, demand for NHS GP appointments has increased relentlessly over the past decade. We can assure you that we constantly monitor and adjust our appointments system to manage the unlimited demand for free-at-the-point-of-delivery GP appointments. As you know, up and down the country there is a recruitment and retention crisis in General Practice due to chronic government underfunding so access to GP and Nurse appointments is limited and appointments are limited. For further information visit NHSSOS.org.uk

It is difficult to comment further on your experience as you remain anonymous. Should you wish to contact the practice manager to discuss your experience further, please don’t hesitate to get in touch.
I shall comment on some of the specific points you raise.
1. Young Children are always given priority appointments and give emergency appointments on the same day when necessary.
2. Emergency appointments are spread out throughout the day as you recommend. This has been the case for almost two decades.
3. Cancelled appointments are filled within minutes of them being cancelled due to the high demand for appointments. No appointments are EVER unfilled.
4. Thanks for commenting on the communication skills of reception staff. We shall certainly look into this further and deploy further customer relationship training if appropriate.

Brilliant helpful receptionists!

I called up today to book an appointment and I was able to get one the same day as there had just been a cancelation!
Thank you!

Visited in May 2018. Posted on 18 May 2018

Wilmslow Health Centre replied on 18 May 2018

Thanks for your feedback which is consistent with the official independent NHS England led GP Patient Survey which can be found here. https://www.gp-patient.co.uk/

Helen Lister gave Wilmslow Health Centre a rating of 5 stars

My Appraisal of WIlmslow Health Centre

I have nothing but praise for this practice.
The staff are helpful and courteous, and the doctors approachable, helpful and friendly.
Most of all I feel that I am listened to, and treated with respect.

Visited in April 2018. Posted on 29 April 2018

Wilmslow Health Centre replied on 18 May 2018

Thanks for your valuable feedback which is consistent with the independent, NHS England led, GP Patient Survey which can be found here: https://www.gp-patient.co.uk/

Anonymous gave Wilmslow Health Centre a rating of 5 stars

Excellent Surgery for care and attention

Been at the practice almost 3 years and feel I get excellent care and attention. The doctors are caring and attentive as are the nurses.

I have had a number of health issues and cannot fault the care discussed and given.

keep up the good work and thanks to reception staff that are kind and caring

Visited in February 2018. Posted on 28 April 2018

Anonymous gave Wilmslow Health Centre a rating of 1 stars

Terrible Reception and Organisation

Firstly let me say the GPs themselves have been great.
The problem is getting to see one.

I can honestly say i've never come across such a poorly organised clinic with very defensive staff. After two years of service here's some of my highlights:

1. We needed the doctor to complete an insurance form. We had a two week wait for it as the GP was on holiday. No one else could sign it. We asked if the GP would need to see us about it as we would book an appointment for when they were back. We were told No and that the GP would call us.

Three weeks later we get a letter telling us to book an appointment as the GP wants to talk to us! We had to ring for an appointment.....3 week waiting list!

Finally getting to our appointment, the GP had no idea about the insurance document, our condition and our form was lost in reception somewhere.

Disgraceful waste of time and service

2. Following an accident we had to see a Physio. There was a 6 week waiting list. Upon going to the appointment the Physio made no attempt to physically assess or manoeuvre us and simply read from a leaflet. This is compared to Private Physio we paid for during the 6 week wait where we had acupuncture, stretches, exercises - you name it!

3. Rang to process a Repeat Prescription. Called 3 days later to see if it was ready. It wasn't. Called another 3 days later....still not ready. We went into the practice to ask what the issue was....apparently I'd been removed from their system and was no longer a patient!

4. Couldn't get an emergency appointment with a sever pain. Rang NHS Helpline who diagnosed us as needing immediate GP treatment. They rang this clinic themselves wad told they had no availability.. Ended up at hospital

5. Family member couldn't get an emergency appointment for their baby until late afternoon after calling at 8.30am. Turned up at 1pm as the baby was getting worse. Reception reluctantly allowed them to see a Doctor. Doctor then got angry at not having brought the baby in earlier as it was very unwell!
Doctor was very embarrassed when told Reception wouldn't book them in

We've never been to a clinic where the reception have been so rude and hostile. If you ring they are immediatly no the defensive and challenge your symptoms. We've even witnessed them have a full blown argument with a patient in the clinic when the issue wasn't his fault.

We're now at a new clinic outside of Wilmslow and so far receiving impeccable service.

Visited in September 2017. Posted on 26 April 2018

Dear Anonymous,
Thanks for leaving your feedback.
It is difficult to investigate your experience as you have chosen to remain anonymous but I shall try to address as many of your general concerns as possible.
May I start by saying that much of your feedback is regarding matters completely out of our control and that are nothing at all to do with Wilmslow Health Centre.

For instance, you complain that the free-at-the-point-of-delivery NHS physiotherapy service didn’t do as much as the private physiotherapy service you paid for elsewhere and that you had to wait six weeks to be seen. The physiotherapy service in the building has nothing to do with Wilmslow Health Centre other than it is in the same building. It is run and administered by East Cheshire NHS Trust and not by Wilmslow Health Centre.
You also comment regarding the repeat prescription process and being removed from the computer system erroneously. NHS computer systems are owned and are the responsibility of the Department of Health. We have noticed that the system does occasionally de-register patients with no obvious reason. Patients can also become de-registered incorrectly if they do not respond to letters sent out by the Health Authority confirming that they remain patients in the area; Wilmslow Health Centre has no control over this process as it is run entirely by other NHS bodies.
I am unable to comment on some of the experiences you outline regarding your family members but I can confirm that young children always get priority and are given same-day emergency appointments as appropriate.

I am sorry that you experienced a delay in collecting your insurance form. Such forms can only be filled when your GP has enough information. Often this means that the form can only be filled by a doctor who is familiar with you. Unfortunately, as doctors also get ill and also require annual leave, delays can sometimes be experienced in getting such forms filled. In addition, our doctors give priority to treating the sick and the filling of such forms isn’t a contractual obligation for NHS GPs surgeries. Nevertheless, our GPs make every effort to facilitate the filling of such forms and go the extra mile to do so when possible.

I am glad that you found the GPs themselves at Wilmslow Health Centre great and wish you all the best at your new GP practice.

Tell it as it is. gave Wilmslow Health Centre a rating of 3 stars

A surgery this is expanding too quickly losing its way.

Once a very warm patient centred medical practice.Now nothing more than a corporate exercise in production line patient care.
A dreadful shame.
But I guess that's the modern single track myopic medical model being copied across the country in education health and medical care.What ever happened to the common sense approach to medicine!

Visited in May 2017. Posted on 07 July 2017

Dear Anonymous,

Thanks for your feedback. As everyone is aware, there has been a recruitment and retention crisis in General Practice for the past few years. In addition, the demand for appointments with clinicians has rocketed over the past decade. Our registered patient list size has also increased substantially as more patients move from elsewhere. NHS England forbid GP surgeries from limiting or closing their registered patient lists so we are unable to prevent patients from registering with us. It appears that successful surgeries that provide good care may be the victims of their own success. I share your frustration and urge you to hold your elected representatives to account.

Anonymous gave Wilmslow Health Centre a rating of 4 stars

Great care and friendly team

I went to see one of the practice nurses for a standard appointment. While I was there the nurse politely enquired how I was and I briefly mentioned I felt a little unwell (unrelated to the reason I was there). The nurse took time to listen and asked me questions and felt I needed to see a doctor straight away, just to be on the safe side. The receptionist arranged an appointment less than an hour later with a Dr who was also concerned so sent me to A&E. It turned out I had appendicitis and had to have surgery.

If the nurse hadn't asked how I was or hadn't insisted I see a doctor, I could very likely have ended up with a ruptured appendix.

Thanks to the care of the team I was seen promptly at A&E and there were no complications.

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 04 September 2017

Wilmslow Health Centre replied on 18 May 2018

Such feedback shall be fed back tot he staff involved. We are glad we could be of service.

My doctor gets my vote

I just wanted to take a moment to say how much we appreciate everything you guys do for our community. I've lived in the neighbourhood for the last 18 months and have unfortunately needed to use the practice twice in that time (not something I want to make a habit of). Every time the one particular doctor time has assessed me, they have shown kindness and proficiency and taken the necessary steps. I am sure their colleagues are equally as good, but I can personally vouch for this doctor.The reception nursing and healthcare assistant teams have also been top notch too. Online booking of appointments really helps those of us who are unable to easily phone during working hours. Please keep on on doing what you are doing, you provide an invaluable service. Thank you.

Visited in January 2017. Posted on 16 January 2017

Wilmslow Health Centre replied on 21 January 2017

Dear patient,
Thanks so much for your feedback which has been forwarded to all members of staff at Wilmslow Health Centre. At a time when GP resources have never been under so much pressure, comments like yours do much to raise morale for hardworking nurses, doctors, secretarial and reception staff who are striving on, in very difficult circumstances, to maintain high levels of care for their patients.
There are always going to be areas of our service that we need to improve so please do not hesitate to contact us with any suggestions you may have.

Carol Harte gave Wilmslow Health Centre a rating of 1 stars

I will be moving to another surgery

I contracted pnuemonia in Sept 2015 was hospitalised for 3 days and have had 5 chest infections since and now have asthma. I tend to pick up chest infections whilst travelling with work I was away last time i got a chest infection and by the time i got home and got an appointment i was terribly poorly. I tried to get an appointment to speak to a doctor to get some emergency anti bitoics ( i know this can be done as my father has them who also has asthma) i left a message with reception and was called back to say the doctor had refused my request. I doubt they even looked at my records. I also need my steroid inhaler whilst im away which is on repeat perscription. I called the pharmacy and now i have to visit the doctors to get my repeat perscription which takes 2 days then a further 2 days at the pharmacy. Im not even going to bother asking if they can rush it through, so i will also be without my inhaler whilst away. Im 45 and no idiot i know by now the difference between a chest infection and a cold. It will cost me well over £1,000 pounds to get travel insurance for my condition so im just going to have to hope that i wont get an infection which is unlikely. Will be changing doctors when i get back

Visited in January 2017. Posted on 20 January 2017

Wilmslow Health Centre replied on 21 January 2017

Dear Carol Harte,

Thank you for your feedback.
It would be inappropriate to comment on particular details of specific patients but we are more than willing to discuss this further with you in more appropriate setting that would respect your confidentiality. Your new GP may also be able to clarify some of these issues for you also. We cannot prescribe antibiotics for patients to take abroad with them just in case they become unwell.
We have taken great strides in trying to simplify the repeat prescription ordering system and patients are now able to order repeat prescriptions 24 hours a day, from anywhere in the world. We endeavour to process requests within 48 hours (though the vast majority are processed much more quickly than this). If the prescription is authorised by a doctor, it is sent immediately and electronically to a pharmacy of your choice. We cannot be held liable for any delays on the part of any pharmacy in providing the medications to you (Please note that the pharmacy located next to Wilmslow Health Centre is run by a completely separate private corporation and not by Wilmslow Health Centre). We have always been a practice that has encouraged patients to be empowered to take responsibility for their own health and we encourage patients to plan ahead and order repeat prescriptions in a timely manner so that they never run out of repeat medications. Whilst we try to accommodate extenuating patient circumstances and often go the extra mile to "rush it through" as you put it, patient safety and safe prescribing have to be paramount and the appropriate checks and balances need to be in place to ensure this. For the same reasons, we need to ensure that patients are receiving optimal care and that were are not missing more serious medical conditions when patients ask for prescriptions without a medical assessment; in such circumstances we often ask patients to attend the surgery for a face-to-face consultation where clinicians are able to delve deeper into the medical history and examine patients. Antibiotics are prescribed responsibly and only when appropriate.
We are sorry that you felt disappointed with your experience this time and, should you decide not to register as a patient elsewhere, we hope that we can provide you more satisfaction in the future.