Abbey Grange Medical Practice

01132951844 The Abbey Medical Centre, Norman Street , Leeds, West Yorkshire, LS5 3JN

Anonymous gave Abbey Grange Medical Practice a rating of 2 stars

Rude uninterested receptionist ,

I found the experience of dealing with receptionist at abbey grange appalling , I think when you take on a job role in a caring profession then at the very least they should care , I'm not referring to getting a appointment, because the practice protocol is not to everyone's liking , it's the disinterest and dismissive attitude of this particular staff member , when the reception is the first point of contact with the surgery the impression and attitude makes a difference to the opinion you create which reflects on the whole GP. Practice ,

Visited in November 2018. Posted on 14 November 2018

Abbey Grange Medical Practice replied on 22 November 2018

I am sorry you have had cause to share a poor experience with our reception team. If you would like to contact the practice with more details & a name, if you have one then we will look into your concerns further.

Anonymous gave Abbey Grange Medical Practice a rating of 1 stars

Moved to another surgery!

This surgery has been on he decline for a while now. Getting an appointment within a week is highly unlikely. Booking online is pretty much a 3 week wait! They have begun to bring in freelance doctors. Not helpful when they have no idea of your background. Always found the receptionists very rude. Just received a phone call from them. The person was extremely rude and put the phone down on me! Now moving to another surgery.

Visited in July 2018. Posted on 29 August 2018

Abbey Grange Medical Practice replied on 22 November 2018

I am sorry you have had cause to feedback about a poor experience with our practice. Our appointment system is not to everyone's liking but from our patient survey, we feel that the majority of patients are happy. We have more than 50 GP appointments which open each morning ( except Monday morning when our GPs triage each call & offer a same day appointment where necessary). Our forward book appointments do get booked in advance & we have recently changed the way we open these to try & improve access. We use locum GPs very infrequently & only when absolutely necessary to provide an adequate number of appointments. We understand that locum GPs do not provide the same continuity of care as a regular GP & that is why we do not use them unless necessary. I am sorry you have found our reception team rude, I will share your feedback with our practice team & we will discuss any ways we feel we could improve our service.

Absolutely appalling!!

When already suffering from anxiety the last thing you need when trying to make an appointment is someone being rude, dismissive and totally unhelpful! I shouldn't have to discuss my medical issues when making my appointment, but feel I have to merely to demonstrate my reasoning for an appointment, and end up in tears on the phone trying to book. I find myself putting off important visits to see my doctor just to avoid the stress of dealing with reception. Very rarely I see my actual doctor, and seem to see a different one every time I visit. Just this week a prescription was written by the doctor for something that's been discontinued for over 12 months! (And that was after she used her iPhone to google the symptoms)
I've been told by one person that there were no appointments when literally 30 seconds later I was being booked in by someone else.
I don't visit often, really it's only when I absolutely have too, and expect to be treated with respect- especially when asking for help!
Really poor service.

Visited in May 2018. Posted on 15 May 2018

Abbey Grange Medical Practice replied on 05 June 2018

I am sorry that you have had such a poor experience when accessing services at the practice. In order to try & signpost patients to the correct clinician/service our receptionists are instructed by the GPs to ask for a brief indication of the problem when booking appointments; I am sorry if you have been upset by this approach, I can assure you this is not our intention. Our appointment system is not to everyone's liking, I understand that but we do try to accommodate any patient who has an urgent problem on the day of calling & forward book slots are available for anyone who wishes to see a particular GP for continuity (although we can not guarantee a same day appointment with a GP of your choice). I would be happy to deal with you concerns more personally if you make yourself known to us. Once again, I apologise for your poor experience & assure you that all feedback is shared with our whole team & any actions necessary are implemented including any training issues identified.

Anonymous gave Abbey Grange Medical Practice a rating of 1 stars

Register with the medical practice

I had called up to ask about registering with the practice even though I was not in the catchment area. I was simply told by the receptionist that I was in the wrong catchment area. I asked about the Patient choice of GP practice but was again told I was in the wrong postcode area. I then asked if the practice was not participating in the Patient choice of GP and once again was told I was in the wrong postcode area. I finally asked if the Patient choice of GP practice was simply not real and doesn’t exist. The receptionist was very dismissive implying that this was the case.

I have no problem with Abbey Medical GP choosing not to take patients outside the catchment area but I do take offense on how choices that are set up by the NHS to offer a wider service is simply dismissed as not real. What does this say for your practice and all the other services you provide.

A reasonable explanation such as “No as a practice we are not currently looking to register people outside our catchment area” or whatever stance the Practice has decided to adopt would be more acceptable than being offhandedly dismissive.

Visited in May 2018. Posted on 29 May 2018

Abbey Grange Medical Practice replied on 16 July 2018

Thank you for taking time to submit your feedback, we welcome all feedback & use it as part of on going training to try & improve our service & patient experience. We are very sorry that you encountered such a poor response from our reception team who should have been aware of the patient choice scheme & our practice decision that at present we are not registering new patients from outside our catchment area. The reception team have been issued with a memo regarding this & your feedback has also been shared. Once again, please accept our apologies for your poor experience.

Anonymous gave Abbey Grange Medical Practice a rating of 5 stars

Follow up visit following initial consultation.

Tried to book an appointment on the morning at 8.08am and told no appointments were available that day as all appointments had been taken for the day.
Within 30 minutes I recieved a call to say that as a result of the number of early morning calls they had recieved and were unable to offer appointments, the practice doctors were prepared to add additional appointments by starting earlier.
This is typical of the professional, caring, supportive and helpful approach this practice offers by all its staff.
I would recommend it wholeheartedly as what a GP practice is all about.

Visited in February 2018. Posted on 21 February 2018

Abbey Grange Medical Practice replied on 27 April 2018

Thank you for taking the time to give feedback on your experience of our Practice. Your positive comments are very much appreciated & will be shared with the practice team. We do try to react when there is increased demand on appointments & offer either extra face to face or telephone triage for urgent cases.

Anonymous gave Abbey Grange Medical Practice a rating of 5 stars

Follow up visit following initial consultation.

I would recommend it wholeheartedly as what a GP practice is all about.

Visited in February 2018. Posted on 21 February 2018

Abbey Grange Medical Practice replied on 27 April 2018

Thank you very much for your positive feedback which I will share with all the team. We appreciate that on some days the available appointments are booked very quickly once the telephone lines open & while it is not always possible, we do try to react to demand on the day & offer some extra face to face appointments or add some triage telephone calls for urgent cases.

Anonymous gave Abbey Grange Medical Practice a rating of 5 stars

Fantastic surgery let down by one receptionist!

I would recommend this surgery to anyone moving into the area. The GP’s and nurses provide 5 star care! Nothing is ever too much trouble...
Clock watching is not an issue at this surgery? You are seen until the Dr feels you are ok to leave ....
This may mean appointment times run over sometimes? But your care will be A1
However, one receptionist lets the team here down. I find her nasty, rude and quite frankly can reduce you to tears on a bad day ?
If however you can get past her? The rest of the office team are lovely and you will receive the best care here :)

Visited in January 2018. Posted on 24 January 2018

Abbey Grange Medical Practice replied on 27 April 2018

Thank you for taking the time to feedback your experience of our Practice. Apologies for the delay in replying which was due to our Patient Services Manager leaving the post. All feedback whether positive or negative is appreciated & is always shared with the whole practice team & thank you for the very positive comments you have left. I am sorry that there is one aspect of your experience which is letting the practice down & this will be discussed at our staff meeting with any training needs being addressed.

Disgusting Service

I have been registered at Holt Park Surgery for over 15 years but now the surgery has merged with Abbey Medical the service is disgusting every time I contact the place I am made to feel like a time waster I work two jobs everyday to support my family and would not ring the place and take the battering from the receptionists if I did not feel it was necessary I asked for some information on my daughter the receptionist was very rude and hostile towards me so I ending my phone call and will not be returning to that horrible surgery disgusting is the only word I can use to explain how I feel last year I had low iron levels and the nurse could not even find my records and I had to waste my time explaining my hospital visit and the procedure before she found the records.

Visited in October 2017. Posted on 02 October 2018

Abbey Grange Medical Practice replied on 22 November 2018

I am sorry to read that you have experienced problems at the practice. It is 3 years since Holt Park & Abbey Medical Centre (which were the same practice ) merged with Moor Grange Surgery & over a year since Holt Park closed. In that time we have tried hard to make sure Holt Park patients have been able to access services from one of the remaining sites. I can only apologise for your poor experience, if you would like to contact the practice we would be happy to investigate your concerns in more details. I will share your feedback with our practice team in the hope that we can learn ways to improve our services.

Inconsistent and poor service

I have been registered at this surgery all my life and the standard of care is now so poor. I feel stressed when having to visit. I need to book an appointment and in all honesty I really don't know which doctor would be best to see. I was told I needed my blood pressure monitoring for 24 hrs and I'm still waiting for it to be arranged despite chasing it. My husband also had to wait 12 months and to chase it.

There is no follow up care. My parents are also with the service and the surgery have frequently not actioned recommendations by the consultants and we have to chase it, My father suffered a terminal illness and was cared for at home and was supposed to see his gp every other week. After 4 weeks we had to chase this.

The care my parents have received from the hospitals and consultants has been exceptional and the staff have been supportive and caring. The only weak link has been this GP surgery.

The reception staff are hit and miss. There are a couple who are lovely and as soon as they answer you feel they care and are trying to help. However there are others whose level of service is the opposite.

I hope this surgery is able to pull itself back to the exceptional practice it used to be many years ago.

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 23 October 2017

Abbey Grange Medical Practice replied on 30 October 2017

Thank you for taking time to provide feedback on your experience with the practice. I am extremely sorry to hear that you & your family have encountered problems & feel that the service provided has not been up to previous standards. As this is an anonymous review I would like to invite you to discuss your individual concerns with our team if you feel that would be helpful. I will just mention that 24 hour blood pressure monitoring can be booked at reception & can usually be undertaken within a week or two; I am sorry that that has not been your experience.
We do strive to provide good quality care for all our patients but recognise that we can always improve & welcome feedback & suggestions from our patients both positive & negative.
I will share your comments with the whole practice team & also with our patient participation group.

Thankyou

My sister has severe health anxiety. The care she has received from 2 particular senior partners has been nothing but exemplary.
The NHS is undergoing a current crisis, overworked doctors can only do what time allows them and these doctors are a credit to the profession
These particular doctors always go above and beyond the care of duty.
They took time to reassure my sister on numerous occasions. They treated her respectfully and nothing was too much trouble for them.
In an age of complaints I think we should focus on things that are right and say thankyou more to people that provide a wonderful service.

Visited in July 2017. Posted on 21 July 2017

Abbey Grange Medical Practice replied on 30 October 2017

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. I am delighted that you have had a positive experience & gone the extra mile to let us know. I will share your comments with the practice team.