Burton Croft Surgery

01132744777 St Michaels Court, 1 Shire Oak Street , Leeds, West Yorkshire, LS6 2AF

Anonymous gave Burton Croft Surgery a rating of 2 stars

Very hit or miss

I've been a patient here for almost 15 years but will be leaving shortly due to my recent experiences. Whilst usually the doctors are excellent (and a specialist in sports rehab has been useful), the waiting times for appointments are far too long when there's a serious issue (but not an emergency issue). I routinely have waited two weeks for appointments and up to a week for repeat prescriptions. They refused to give me prescriptions to cover my time working overseas, which resulted in serious flare-ups and very expensive medical bills overseas (and sometimes being unable to get medication abroad). They sent correspondance to my previous address instead of using my email address, then penalised me for that, despite informing them that I would only be contactable by email. On one occasion, a doctor laughed at my medical issue and refused to offer me further help. The car park never has spaces and a private parking firm patrols and fines you for parking in the "extra spaces" advertised. For these reasons, I would not recommend joining Burton Croft.

Visited in November 2018. Posted on 28 November 2018

Burton Croft Surgery replied on 11 December 2018

We are sorry to hear about your experience in booking an appointment and receiving your medication.
It is difficult to comment specifically when replying to the issues around your medication without knowing the full details behind your request. Please contact the surgery to discuss this and we can explore the reasons why your medication was delayed or not covered for work overseas.
In reference to appointment times We are working with our Patient Group and our GP’s to improve the balance between On the day Walk In appointments and routine appointments. However, our recent survey did demonstrate that the on the day walk in service is valued by our patients.
You have stated some issues in this review which should be dealt with directly, especially if you feel that a Doctor has laughed at you.
Again, please contact the surgery to discuss this issues directly and we can look into them for you.

Anonymous gave Burton Croft Surgery a rating of 4 stars

Patient Review

The reception staff are helpful and some of the more experienced staff extremely helpful. When dealing with my elderly in-laws, they are always patient with my questions and ask a doctor to call me to give me the information I require. For the elderly, I cannot fault the service and kindness they give.

It is sometimes difficult to get an appointment when you want one but there is the drop-in mornings if you have an immediate problem.

It is a friendly practice and I would recommend it to friends and family.

Visited in August 2018. Posted on 27 September 2018

Burton Croft Surgery replied on 01 October 2018

Thank you for your very kind comments.

It is great to hear that you feel we are providing a good service for our elderly patients including your in laws.

We are very appreciative of the positive feedback you have given.

TJ gave Burton Croft Surgery a rating of 3 stars

What a falling off was there!

I visit the surgery for health reviews to see a nurse practitioner for routine checks and for which (with only one exception) I am grateful to receive friendly, helpful and professional service. However, I had a minor accident some months ago which was dealt with at an A&E department. A walk-in appointment regarding supplementary difficulty proved unhelpful so I resorted to private physiotherapy. Three months later, I asked for a designated appointment with a specialist practice doctor, but must wait another two months to see one of the two available.
What was once a brilliant practice with family doctors, one of whom probably saved my young son's life, seems to have changed so much and 'managed' even beyond recognition. Although I am aware of current problems in the NHS, it is alarming that unless one books an urgent appointment, it is impossible to be seen in a reasonable time frame. Might there not be some in-between designation? My condition is not, in my view, urgent apart from it being painful, debilitating and limiting. I hope that it does not become permanent because I am unable to see a practitioner who might understand what is wrong.

Visited in August 2018. Posted on 31 August 2018

Burton Croft Surgery replied on 04 September 2018

We are sorry to hear about this experience.
We are currently looking at the appointment system and proposing some changes that we hope will help to balance the urgent on the day need versus the availability of less urgent appointments.
If you have not already done so, you may want to register for online appointment booking as this will show you the availability of pre-bookable appointments and may help you to see what the availability is for a particular GP.
We hope that the improvements we make over the next few months will help with the issue you have raised.
Once again, please accept our apologies for the experience you have had.

Anonymous gave Burton Croft Surgery a rating of 5 stars

great surgery with outstanding care

I have been a patient at this surgery for about 25 years and have had 3 children under the surgery's care. In this time I have always recieved excellent and timely care - with easy access to consultations both in person and over the phone. Where care of babies and children are concerned they are first class and no problem is ever dismissed. Both the doctors and the nursing teams are committed, professional and always friendly. The pharmacy under the surgery is really helpful too.

Visited in May 2018. Posted on 04 September 2018

Burton Croft Surgery replied on 04 September 2018

Thank you very much for your kind comments.
It is good to know that you feel we are providing a good service to you and it is always nice to receive good comments about the service we provide.

Caroline V gave Burton Croft Surgery a rating of 5 stars

Great Service

Been a patient at this surgery here and at its previous location for 20 years.
Doctors are great so there can be some delay in getting an appointment but you can normally get one quickly if you are prepared to see any of them.
Ive recently needed to seek advice from my GP there and was able to set up a telephone apppintment that dealt with my issue appropriately.
My wonderful GP even chased me to ensure I got my smear test done. I went to see the nurse for my thyroid test to be done and she said “while you are here we can get your smear done”. They really care.
The walk in surgery every day is a lifesaver.
Just remember that all GP surgeries are busy. If you can get an immediate appointment in a surgery you are either very lucky or it’s not a great surgery. This is a great surgery.

10/10 here. They have really cared for all my family through very hard times.

Visited in March 2018. Posted on 06 September 2018

Burton Croft Surgery replied on 10 September 2018

Thank you for your very kind comments.

It is great to hear that we are getting your care right and we are very appreciative of the positive feedback you have given.

Anonymous gave Burton Croft Surgery a rating of 5 stars

great service

I have unfortunately had the occasion visit the surgery a number of times recently with urgent and non urgent problems. Work is a problem but the walk in service is excellent. Reception staff are between a rock and a hard place, they are the brunt of patient's frustrations and have a job to do. With the system under strain, come on people stop moaning please.

Visited in December 2017. Posted on 19 December 2017

Burton Croft Surgery replied on 21 December 2017

Thank you for your kind review and also your insight and understanding into the challenges in General practice.

The Reception team work hard, as do all the doctors, nurses and support staff at the surgery and it is good to know that patients appreciate the strain on the system, as we get to see this on a daily basis.

Kind Regards,
Simon Beer - Practice Manager

Joanne Sykes gave Burton Croft Surgery a rating of 5 stars

Staff are friendly and professional- I would recommend

As a family, we don’t visit very often but when we do, we are extremely happy with the service.
The walk in service is ideal because I can get there for it opening and still get to work on time (there has never been a long wait when you arrive this early).
When we have rung with recent emergencies, we have been told to come straight down and have been seen quickly.
I do not understand the negative comments the surgery is getting at all.
The receptionist are always polite and it’s lovely to still see the original Burton Croft staff.
Please pass on my thanks to everyone at the surgery. Wishing you all a peaceful 2018.

Visited in December 2017. Posted on 26 December 2017

Burton Croft Surgery replied on 02 January 2018

Thank you for your kind comments. We are very pleased that you have been happy with the service you have received.
It is great to know that the hard work is appreciated.
I will ensure that your comments are shared with all the staff and clinicians at the surgery.
Simon Beer
Practice Manager

Anonymous gave Burton Croft Surgery a rating of 1 stars

Rude reception

The reception is extremely rude and you can tell they hate their job so much. Impossible to get an appointment as well.

Visited in November 2017. Posted on 16 November 2017

Burton Croft Surgery replied on 30 November 2017

I am sorry that this has been your experience at the surgery.
I would appreciate it if you could provide more detail on your experience, especially in terms of the date you attended the surgery and who dealt with you at reception.
This is certainly not the experience that we want our patients to have but also accept that we are very, very busy on some days and cannot always get it right.
More detail would certainly help in understanding your experience on the day you attended or called the surgery for an appointment.

Mr. Simon Beer - Practice Manager

Anonymous gave Burton Croft Surgery a rating of 4 stars

Burton Croft

As a GP receptionist I understand the difficulties of the job. Although appointments are sometimes hard to obtain I have always been able to speak/see a GP as an emergency (the reception team have offered this). Reception get a lot of stick off patients regarding the appointment system when people can't get in, not knowing that there are alternative ways of being seen e.g.:HUB appts, walk-in centres, minor injury units and A+E for emergencies.

The clinical and admin staff are friendly and helpful and have always helped me when I needed their assistance.

Patients need to be aware of the restrictions within the NHS rather than blaming the staff.

Visited in November 2017. Posted on 29 November 2017

Burton Croft Surgery replied on 30 November 2017

Thank you for your comments and also your insight and understanding into what is currently a very difficult and challenging job within the NHS. I can see that you have experience and can understand the pressures that are on GP surgeries at the moment.
I am glad that you have had a positive experience and have taken the time to comment.

Mr Simon Beer - Practice Manager

Anonymous gave Burton Croft Surgery a rating of 1 stars

Worse than it's ever been.

I am so frustrated with this surgery. I've tried ringing today to make an appointment, and the first time gave up after 35 minutes on hold trying to get through, I'm now currently 20 minutes in on a second attempt and still unable to get through.

The surgery never used to be like this.

I called early May to see a GP ( any GP, because if you ask for a specific one, the appointments can be weeks away) and it was a whole months wait to just get a booked appointment! 4 weeks wait to see a GP.

The receptionists push the walk in, but who has time to sit in a waiting room for hours waiting to see a GP?

It's really, really poor and has been getting worse and worse since the drop in service began.I've no idea how the surgery has been rated as outstanding because these waiting times to see a GP are a disgrace.

And that's if you can ever get through on the phones.

Visited in April 2017. Posted on 22 May 2017

Burton Croft Surgery replied on 22 May 2017

Dear Patient,
We are very sorry to hear that this has been your experience.
We have recently been told by our CCG that due to NHS budget challenges we will have 78% less funding for the Extended hours scheme. This has meant that we have had to look at service redesign both for our own appointment system and also collectively with other practices in terms of the Weekend HUBS. Ultimately this means less money for appointments.
This is certainly not and ideal situation and we find it disappointing that we have been put in this position after spending the last 2 years building this service.
We had this information confirmed in January 2017, so have spent the last few months thinking about how we can combat what is effectively a £240,000 approx. reduction in funding.
We are constantly working on our appointment system and continue to do this to improve the current situation.
Despite the cuts we continue to invest in staff and have recently taken on a Pharmacist to help with the workload at the practice.
We will be meeting again soon to look at the next phase of our appointment system planning and we are also investing in technology that can better inform us of our appointment statistics so we can look at improvement within the service in what can only be described as a very challenging environment, both in terms of patient demand and from a financial perspective.
We hope that this helps you to understand the current situation.
The Partners and Management of Burton Croft Surgery