Birchington Medical Centre

01843848818 Minnis Road , Birchington, Kent, CT7 9HQ

I went to surgery at 8am to book aptly for my son on same day

I waited at 8 am outside on Monday to req appt at the surgery for my son after 4 on same day due to his work as he is a key holder. He had been unwell for couple of days but wasn't getting any better so was going to work to let them know was hoping for gp appt in afternoon was able get back by 4.00pm is not local. I explained this and was told could not book a later appt offered 12.15 i called my son who said had to wait to hand keysover so could not get here before 4.00. I called back and explained this and was told it could not be urgent if he had gone to work and call back after 2. I said was urgent poss chest infection and he could not just leave work that easily. I find this really upsetting my son rarely sees go and I don't think its up to receptionist to say if my son's appt is not necessary. It's very difficult if you work out of than st on building site to just leave work. That's why I tried to organise appt that I new he could get to. And still none the wiser if he get appt or will be seen later. Maybe best to just go to hospital but that us not what A & E is for.

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 14 August 2017

Birchington Medical Centre replied on 21 August 2017

Good Afternoon,

I would first like to apologise for the delay in my response.

We are sorry to hear that you feel that you have been let down by the practice. We are also sorry that you felt you could not approach the surgery directly to discuss these issues with our practice manager. She is more than happy to meet with patients and try to resolve any issues they may be experiencing.

I am sorry for any upset or frustration caused and we welcome feedback positive or negative to help us improve on our services here at the surgery.

If you would like to discuss these issues or any other problems please do not hesitate to email us at birchingtonmcpm@nhs.net so that we can then look into the matter further for you.

Birchington Medical Centre

Wendy Stribling gave Birchington Medical Centre a rating of 5 stars

Excellent care

I joined this practise three years ago and the care and professionalism of the staff have been absolutely fantastic. When I joined I was worried because of the negative reviews it was getting. I can only say that my old GP surgery could learn a lot from here. I think this practice is brilliant.

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 10 March 2017

Birchington Medical Centre replied on 13 March 2017

Thank you for your kind feedback.

Anonymous gave Birchington Medical Centre a rating of 2 stars

Unbelievable !

My mother belongs to birchington medical centre & received a call from them today asking her to state her name and then asking if they could speak to a woman she hadn't heard of before and apparently they were most insistent.
I phoned the medical centre to see why they had phoned as my mum didn't understand why they were asking for this other person and when they looked in to it they said the person they were trying to contact was a lady who lived in my mums road (gave me the address) but they couldn't reach her & were a bit concerned as not well, so decided to ring anyone who lived in the same road & it was understandable my mum was confused!
A) my mums not confused
B) I've never ever heard of anyone doing such a thing in all my life
C) surely this is against the law of something, especially if the said person didn't want their business spreading to all & sundry..especially as we don't even know the person!
Not impressed with the conduct of this surgery.

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 22 March 2017

Dear Patient/Carer

Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry to see you did not feel you could not raise this matter with us/me directly in order for us to explain the situation to you. We were dealing with an emergency situation and my staff member acted in the best interest of one of our patients. I have listened to the telephone call from my staff member to your Mother, and can confirm that no personal information was passed to your Mother, we simply wanted to ascertain if the patient concerned had been seen by any of their neighbors. I would be very happy to play the call to you or your Mother or to discuss this matter further if you would like to make contact with me directly. My email address is birchingtonmcpm@nhs.net or you can phone on 01843 848818.

I can only apologise for the concern this caused you and your Mother, but would like to assure you both that we were acting in the best interest of one of our patients.

Rachael Black gave Birchington Medical Centre a rating of 5 stars

Thanks BMC

Rang this morning as my 4 year old has an ear infection. The phone was answered promptly and I spoke to a really polite and friendly receptionist who gave us an appointment.

The surgery was busy when we arrived but was made aware on signing in that there would be a 30 minute delay. Noticed the new wooden activity block straight away and this made the wait so much easier with my son.

The doctor we saw was very cheerful and welcoming to my son. The doctor used the new electronic system to transfer a prescription to the pharmacy next door.

Many thanks Birchington for the help and excellent service on a miserable Thursday morning!

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 23 March 2017

Birchington Medical Centre replied on 29 June 2017

Thank you for your kind feedback.

Just terrible

On the one hand I feel sorry for this surgery because everyone complains about the service they receive from them. I do not envy their job at all especially as I've been a receptionist in a health care setting so I do understand just how soul crushing it can be.
On the other hand though the service that I have received repeatedly for about the last 20 years has been disappointing.
The latest being that I have had to wait about 7 weeks for the result of a test which I was told would take only about 4 weeks to receive. I do understand that this is NHS and there are many other more important things for the surgery to deal with but the way it was handled was very poor.
When I finally got through on the phone I was told by the receptionist that the member of staff who deals with the test results would maybe be in the following day and that there was no way I could know the results that day, I would have to speak to them. Fair enough.
The next day I called the receptionist I spoke to first of all told me that I speak too fast and that they couldn't understand what I was saying but then was able to just click onto my file to tell me the results, which I found slightly odd as I was told the previous day that I had to be put through to a member of staff who dealt with the results?? The receptionist then when onto tell me that the test was a failure and it had to be repeated in 3 months......when were they going to contact me and tell me this?
I couldn't even book the test in for 3 months time either as its too far into the future.

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 24 March 2017

Dear Patient.

Thank you for your feedback, however, I would be most grateful if you could contact myself directly at birchingtonmcpm@nhs.net or by telephone so I can look into this for you. Based on what you describe, your results were looked at between your two contacts with the surgery, and the clinician who has viewed your results as requested a repeat. With regard to the booking of a follow-up test in 3 months time, we do not have our clinics set up for that far ahead, which is the same for most GP surgeries. I would be very happy to look into this for you further if you can make contact in person with me directly.

Many thanks

Reg Jezzard reviewed Birchington Medical Centre

Prompt service

Went to surgery with a painful condition,explained my ailment to receponist and asked if it was possible to see a doctor,was asked to wait while they made an enquiry--after 10mins was called by doctor diagnosed in 2 mins and the necessary medicine was ordered electronically,(no paper )we picked it up from Courts and we're home in 40mins---what service.I have given this surgery some stick in the past but the service today was impeccable well done ! ---the N.H.S gets some unecessary critism from the Media but hey well done,keep it up

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 17 February 2017

Dear Patient

Thank you for your positive feedback. We very much appreciate the time taken to feedback to us and your kind words.

Kindest regards

Anonymous gave Birchington Medical Centre a rating of 5 stars

We would like to say a well deserved thank you to the Head Receptionist at Birchington Medical Centre today.I needed a very important implant for my husband and had already booked the District Nurse to come to do it.He was still in the hospice though and I needed to take it there.Although short notice once again they sorted it all out.We are so lucky to have this receptionist and all the staff at our surgery.Once again thank you,we think a lot of you all.

Visited in January 2017. Posted on 03 January 2017

Birchington Medical Centre replied on 13 March 2017

Thank you for your kind feedback. I shall ensure your comment is shared with our staff.

Anonymous gave Birchington Medical Centre a rating of 5 stars

I would like to take this opportunity to thank the staff at Birchington Medical Centre for all their hard work. Special thanks goes to a particular person on reception who was exceptionally caring and listened to my problems and helped me in a very lovely way. They didn't rush me through, had a lovely bedside manner and took their time and patience with me so again thank you very much. All the staff including the practice management are a credit to the town of Birchington and we should be so proud as patients to have such a wonderful service on our doorsteps.

Visited in December 2016. Posted on 09 December 2016

Birchington Medical Centre replied on 04 January 2017

Thank you for your kind review. I shall ensure your message is shared with the member of staff concerned. Hannah Price, Practice Manager

Anonymous gave Birchington Medical Centre a rating of 1 stars

i have been waiting on the phone for over half an hour,

This practice is diabolical, to wait for a reply when you have been hanging on for over half an hour is ridiculous, what are you doing, surely the phones should be answered, what on earth are people got to do to get through, your practice is a shambles.

Visited in October 2016. Posted on 08 November 2016

Birchington Medical Centre has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Birchington Medical Centre a rating of 4 stars

Good Service

I have always received good service, whether it be from the ladies at the sharp end, or the Practice Manager who has solved several issues for me. However, I must comment that it's best to treat those with whom you come into contact as you would wish to be treated. A friendly smile goes a long way. Try it.

Visited in September 2016. Posted on 16 September 2016

Birchington Medical Centre has not yet replied.