Alwoodley Medical Centre

01133930119 Saxon Mount, Moortown , Leeds, West Yorkshire, LS17 5DT

Disappointed

I had an appointment today at 9:30 and went there at 9:20. The touchscreen for chek in wasn’t working and I didn’t see the second one so i seat in and was waiting as everyone else who didn’t do the chek in. Some of the doctors come out to call their patients. I waited for my doctor and he didn’t come. When i saw the other touchscreen I tried to chek in but the sistem didn’t let me. So I went to the reception and explained what happened. They said to me that my doctor was in other appointment for the moment and didn’t had time for me today,and it was my fault because I didn’t check in. What about the doctor not come out to see for me as all the other doctors? They said that the next appointment was for 19 th July,and is ridiculous because I have pain from my kidney and rhey should attend me. I have paid for my healthcare when I applied for the visa so I demand to have it. Very disappointed.

Visited in June 2019. Posted on 27 June 2019

Anonymous gave Alwoodley Medical Centre a rating of 1 stars

Very difficult to contact or get appointments

Very difficult to get appointment. No consistency of medical care. I had a major operation and there has been no back up consultation.

Often the only appointments you can get are a month later than your request date.

Staff training which appears to take place every Thursday does not improve patient care. What do they do!

Trying to communicate with the practice is appalling!

There is a need for an inspection of the way the practice is run and organized!

Visited in December 2018. Posted on 14 March 2019

Would not recommend

Wouldn’t recommend unless desperate... Slow to act on requests, painfully slow to set up online services (which rarely work), poor customer service and a practice manager who refuses to speak to patients when there is a problem.

Visited in December 2018. Posted on 12 May 2019

Anonymous gave Alwoodley Medical Centre a rating of 2 stars

Wrong Referral

Visited GP having had to wait for a routine appointment.

Agreed with GP referral was needed to be seen in hospital.

Had to wait two weeks for referral letter to arrive only to find I had been referred incorrectly.

So had to then speak to GP to get the referral sent to the correct place.

Its a good job it wasn't urgent !!

Visited in November 2018. Posted on 09 November 2018

Harrogate Hospital Clinic at Alwoodley Medical Centre, Leeds

Alwoodley Medical Centre is best accessed by car or by walking (if you live locally). It is clean and there is a lot of car parking space (including a bike rack).

I was referred here by a Leeds-based GP for an appointment with a consultant who was visiting from Harrogate Hospital Trust. On route to the Medical Centre (cycling 60+mins) I took a wrong turn. I phoned to let the clinic know that I would be 10-15mins late. The Alwoodley Medical Centre receptionists were reluctant to pass a message onto the consultant (even though he was in the same building) stating that Harrogate Hospital Trust was a separate entity. I was in Leeds, travelling to a medical centre in Leeds, but told to phone Harrogate Hospital trust. I arrived 15-20 mins late. The nurse told me that the appointments were 15mins long and the consultant had to leave as he was on-call and needed to get his lunch (an unfortunate turn of phrase).

I appreciate that I was 15-20mins late for the appointment. I had waited 8 weeks for the appointment and so I was keen to get there on time (unfortunately I got lost cycling there). The Nurse at the centre advised that I go back to my GP in Leeds and ask to rebook (either with a Leeds-based centre or again with Harrogate Hospital Trust clinic in Leeds). A frustrating and unhelpful experience given I had travelled for over an hour to get there.

It is worth noting that if you visit a Harrogate Hospital Trust clinic at a Leeds-based GP or medical centre you can only be referred to a Harrogate Hospital. Tricky if you live in Leeds :)

Visited in October 2018. Posted on 26 October 2018

Expect Long Waits for Everything

Found it difficult to get a routine appointment with a doctor, was told the next appointment would be a month away !

I told the receptionist although my appointment wasn't urgent but felt I needed to be seen before a month, she put me on the list for an urgent telephone call back the next day by a doctor.

Dr was a bit off with me when I spoke to them and told it wasn't an urgent call but she booked me an appointment that week.

Seems only way to get a routine appointment (apart from waiting a month) is to request an urgent call back and then you get an appointment that week. Why can't the reception staff book into these appointments and save the time of the doctor ringing me back !

Thought I would speed things up and sign up for online access (so I could book my own appointments).

Still waiting for this two weeks later and when I enquired how long it would take, was told at least another eight weeks. Why something so simple can take so long is beyond me.

So now I'm back to ringing reception to get an appointment, to be told no appointments for a month, but can put you on urgent call back for doctor to ring you........ and so it goes on!!

Visited in October 2018. Posted on 09 November 2018

Terrible Management

If I were a partner at this surgery I’d be very concerned about the attitude of the managers to both patients and staff.
It’s so difficult to get a routine appointment, other local surgeries with bigger lists have far more availability. So why doesn’t this practice explore what they are doing and learn from best practice.
I feel they are probably delivering the minimum they can get away with compared to other practices, who are future proofing and modernising.
Having previously made a written complaint, I received no acknowledgement from the Practice Manager.

It’s such a shame the management of this practice is so poor, because most of the doctors and nurses and reception team are outstanding.

Ps Like another reviewer I also waited months for online access.

Visited in August 2018. Posted on 09 August 2018

Emily gave Alwoodley Medical Centre a rating of 5 stars

Excellent.

Had an consultation and unhesitatingly was booked in for that afternoon.
Dr I saw was brilliant with me. Patcient, understanding, kind and reassuring but most important listened to what I was saying and never made me feel silly or a nuisance and went the extra mile and requested me to leave a message in a few weeks.
Definitely such a pleasant surprise for a surgery as many GPS have a bad name to them socially but not here.

Visited in August 2018. Posted on 13 August 2018

Alwoodley Medical Centre replied on 17 August 2018

I am so pleased you were happy with the Doctor you saw its always a pleasure to get a positive review.

horrendous staff, great docs

After fighting my way through the absolutely appalling untrained reception staff I was given a referral. the doctor in question was great, but the staff demanded to know 'why' I wanted a doctor. I wasn't aware I was obliged to give my confidential medical information to an untrained receptionist with a shocking attitude and indeed the doctor at the same practice told me not to give any information to the receptionist! decide between you which one it is!

the referral never happened, they lunched it completely and I moved.

Visited in August 2018. Posted on 26 August 2018

Alwoodley Medical Centre replied on 10 September 2018

I am very sorry that you feel let down by the reception staff but as you have left your comment anonymous I am unable to investigate or speak to the reception staff involved and also look into what happened regarding your referral.

Sam Kyle
Operations Manager

Anonymous gave Alwoodley Medical Centre a rating of 1 stars

Wish we had read reviews before moving here!

My father has advanced Parkinson's Disease and dementia and amongst many other problems he can hardly walk. When I went to register him with this surgery I had ID and the completed forms with me but forgot his proof of address. It was a struggle getting my dad there in person as they require so I asked the receptionist if she could register my dad while he was there and I would return 15 minutes later when I had dropped him off and picked up the address ID. She barely let me speak before telling me absolutely not then watched me struggle to get him out of the surgery and back into the car to pick up the ID only for me to drive back to the surgery and have to get him out of the car and back into the surgery 15 minutes later. He was understandably exhausted and upset after this unnecessary episode and was astonished about how unhelpful the receptionist had been.

Since then our experience has gone from bad to worse with the surgery telling us we needed to get a copy of my dads prescription from his old doctors as they cant access his notes for several weeks. The old doctors told us that they no longer have access to his notes as he is not registered there so we were left with no way of ordering his repeat prescription. Eventually we ended up taking in the numerous pill packets so that the pharmacist could work out what should be ordered and he thankfully cobbled together a prescription.

The pharmacist told us to reorder the prescription on line but despite registering for online services the day I took my dad in we still don't have a password for him. We have chased twice since then only to be told there is a backlog (7 weeks and counting). We were told a month ago that they would prioritise the request but clearly haven't. My own surgery printed my a password there and then when I registered so I have no idea why this surgery is so slow!

None of this would be quite so bad if we weren't faced with rudeness every time we try and get anywhere. Its awful trying to care for someone so ill that they can do nothing for themselves anymore and to have life made even harder by your GP surgery is terrible.

Visited in August 2018. Posted on 01 October 2018