Armley Medical Centre

01134677499 Armley Moor Health Centre, 95 Town Street , Leeds, West Yorkshire, LS12 3HD

Anonymous gave Armley Medical Centre a rating of 3 stars

New appointment

i enquiried about signing up as a new
Patient, I explained this on the phone and the receptionist asked me to wait and she hung up on me- I then had to wait ten minutes to get back through to reception
The nurse which took my blood did not wash their hands, did not put gloves on and did not wipe my arm or wash their hands after. They also did not wipe the blood pressure machine down before or after either - very very poor adherence to hygiene and safety standards

Visited in October 2018. Posted on 20 October 2018

Armley Medical Centre replied on 22 October 2018

Thank you for entering your comments on NHS Choices. I would welcome the opportunity to speak to you directly should you wish to do so, please contact me on 0113 467 7499 and I will be happy to arrange a convenient appointment for us to meet.
Please accept my apologies that you were not happy with the service received from both reception and the nursing team. With regards to reception staff, please be assured that unless a patient was abusive to a member of staff the receptionist would not purposely hang up on patients and then only with a warning. I am sorry that you had to wait for the call to be answered, this is due to the sheer volume of calls coming through to us, we have a number of reception staff answering calls throughout the day, however particularly on a monring patients may have difficulty in getting through, we do our best to answer as soon as possible.
With regard to your new patient check with one of my nursing team, I can confirm that any decontamination of equipment would be done prior to or following a patient consultation not during. Hand washing or using antibacterial gel is again done prior to calling in a patient and collecting any equipment together from within the consultation room. Cleaning the patients skin is not necessary unless visibly dirty and the wearing of gloves for this procedure is not a requirement unless the nurse had any open wounds on their hands. Please be assured that my nursing team following the aseptic techniques for hand hygiene and our infection control policy is followed by all clinical staff. Infection Control was recently subject to assessment by the Clinical Commissioning Group which was passed.
As previously mentioned I am happy to discuss this in person should you wish to do so.
Linda Thompson, Practice Manager.

Charley gave Armley Medical Centre a rating of 3 stars

Routine appointments

Wait for routine appointments getting longer.
I have today 5 July tried to book a routine appointment. The next appointment with any doctor is not until 30 July. Over 3 weeks. This is ridiculours, the waiting time earlier this year was 10 - 14 days, to have to wait this length of time is simply silly.

Visited in July 2018. Posted on 05 July 2018

Armley Medical Centre replied on 06 July 2018

Thank you for taking the time to register your comments on NHS Choices. Firstly, please accept my apologies that you have had to wait over 3 weeks for a routine appointment to see a GP. We do have appointments with our Advanced Nurse Practitioner within 2 weeks and if your needs are of an urgent nature, we offer same day appointments.
We continually review our appointment system however the demand on GP time is ever increasing; there are services that patients can utilise prior to making a GP appointment where appropriate such as Pharmacy First and NHS 111 for advice.
Our reception staff may ask you what your appointment is regarding, so they can book you in with the appropriate clinician and we also have available our online appointment booking service which you can register for by asking at reception.
You may recall we offered a service between the hours of 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. up until last year when Leeds West Practices had a significant amount of funding cut by Leeds West Clinical Commissioning Group, this funding had supported the practice to employ more GP's and offer more appointments for our patients thus reducing the waiting times for a routine appointment however without that vital funding appointments are not as readily available.
However, the good news is we have recruited two more permanent GP's who will start with us towards the end of August and two of our GP's who are currently on Maternity leave will return in December therefore I would hope to see a significant improvement in the waiting times to see a doctor.
Please be assured that we are working hard to reduce the waiting time and I apologise once again for any inconvenience that this may cause however stress that if your appointment is of an urgent nature you are able to phone on the day at 8 a.m., to be seen the same day (Monday – Friday). We also offer appointments through our HUB service at Priory View which can also be booked through calling the usual surgery telephone number.

Laura gave Armley Medical Centre a rating of 2 stars

Let down

Needed an on the day appointment and phoned in at 8am. Was told that I was not registered with the practise anymore, which was news to me as I have been registered here all my life. I had given a change of address back in February using the online form. However it did state at that time that if I was outside of the catchment area I would be contacted and told what to do next. I had no contact from the practise so was shocked to find I had been de=registered without being informed. I had attended the chest x-ray clinic back in February at Seacroft Hospital and the receptionist at the practise said there was nothing on the system regarding this visit or the results! I had phoned in for the results of the chest x-ray to be told they had not got them but by this time I was feeling better so just put it down to a chest infection and thought if it was anything serious I would be contacted but I was actually de-registered instead, scary if there had of being anything wrong with the results. I attended the surgery and re-registered and saw a Doctor I then could not get an emergency gynaecology appointment as requested by the Doctor to be booked at reception as was told there is a problem with your registration and was told I would be contacted by the hospital. I have little faith in the surgery now and am worried I will not get an appointment for the hospital.

Visited in June 2018. Posted on 19 June 2018

Armley Medical Centre replied on 22 October 2018

Responsed directly to the patient concerned. There was a misunderstanding for which I apologised, the patient was happy with the outcome of our conversation.

Fiona gave Armley Medical Centre a rating of 5 stars

Would Highly Recommend

I do not access the surgery very often but when I do I am always treated with dignity and respect. Sometimes in the face of adversity, reception staff always remain calm and caring.
As with most surgeries and listening to family and friends it can be very busy on the telephone at 8am and getting an appointment is not always easy. Despite this, I would recommend this surgery.

Visited in May 2018. Posted on 20 June 2018

Armley Medical Centre replied on 21 June 2018

Thank you for taking the time to complete NHS Choices with your feedback. It is always lovely to hear positive feedback regarding the practice and the GP’s and staff. I am sorry that you have difficulty getting through on the phones at 8 a.m; it is always a busy time and the demand for same day appointments is increasing however I do have as many staff as possible taking the calls at that time and they do their utmost to answer them as efficiently as possible. I do hope that in time we see this improving. I will share your feedback with all the practice staff; they will be pleased to hear how much they are appreciated Thank you again.

Best Surgery in Leeds

In all honesty I can say I have been with this practice since it re-opened and even before. So about 20 years!!
Me and my family have always been treat with respect by the staff and especially the Doctors. I listen to friends and family that have problems with other surgery’s and I think how blessed we are.

Visited in May 2018. Posted on 07 June 2018

Armley Medical Centre replied on 07 June 2018

Thank you so much for taking the time to enter your comments and feedback on NHS Choices. For the team to receive such favourable comments is fabulous and I have made sure this has been passed on to every member of the team today!

Anonymous gave Armley Medical Centre a rating of 1 stars

Never Returning To This Surgery

I am so angry after todays visit.

If i didn't feel bad before i went today i certainly do now. I felt that i was been interrogated and what i said was ignored. I spent the afternoon passed from pillar to post and still came away without the medication that is needed.

Patient confidentiality - whats that? , totally disregarded

moving to a new surgery

Visited in March 2018. Posted on 09 March 2018

Armley Medical Centre replied on 13 March 2018

I am sorry to hear that you are unhappy with the service you received from the surgery on Friday 9th March and would welcome the opportunity to discuss this with you in person. I am concerned that you feel patient confidentiality was potentially breached and that you were passed from pillar to post and would like to fully understand the situation. Please feel free to contact me to arrange a mutually convenient time if you wish to discuss in more detail.

great care not rushed

Ever since I've been seeing this nurse I feel I have always been listened too. I know its been difficult to sort all my ailments out but after goodness knows how many years she's helped me do it. She asks me what I think rather than telling me what to do and I feel I can ask her anything. In the last few years I have learned so much about my diabetes and that's all because she cares. The only criticism is you have to wait a long time to see her

Visited in February 2018. Posted on 14 March 2018

Armley Medical Centre replied on 16 April 2018

Thank you for providing your feedback through NHS Choices in relation to our Diabetic Nurse. I have shared the feedback with the whole practice team and of course the nurse in particular whom I am presuming is Jo. Encouraging self-management of long term conditions is an important part of the nursing role within our surgery so I am very pleased that this has worked well for you and you have given such glowing feedback.
I am sorry you have to wait a while for appointments with Jo, she is currently undertaking her advanced nurse practitioner qualification which has reduced the number of nurse appointments she has through the week, however to compensate for this we have just employed two new practice nurses. We do also have other nurses who are trained on diabetes management however Jo will continue with the more complex patients moving forward.
Thank you again for taking the time to enter your feedback on NHS Choices, it is appreciated.
Linda Thompson, Practice Manager.

Ecellent Service as always

Never any problems here, can always get an appointment or the staff will try their best to fit me or my family in. Very pleasant and friendly. Doctors are great too.

Recommended you to others having difficulties at there surgerys too.

Visited in January 2018. Posted on 22 January 2018

Armley Medical Centre replied on 02 March 2018

Thank you for taking the time to enter your comments on NHS Choices. It's lovely to get such positive feedback, I will pass your feedback on to the whole team. Thank you again.

Anonymous gave Armley Medical Centre a rating of 1 stars

I rang for a routine appointment this morning at 8 am, was in the queue for about 10 mins only to be told that on the day appointments are urgent appointments only.

I have this afternoon tried to book a routine appointment on line, the next available appointment is 13 March 18. That is nothing short of a joke. A routine appointment could easily become an urgent appoint in this 3 week period.

I notice on the surgery web site that the surgery is still accepting new patients, how can this be when there is such a long wait for routine appointments.

How do you obtain a routine non urgent appointment without this long wait?

Visited in December 2017. Posted on 19 February 2018

Armley Medical Centre replied on 22 February 2018

Thank you for entering your comments on NHS Choices and for the valuable feedback.
We offer a variety of appointments bookable up to 4 weeks in advance, on the day appointments for matters that need to be seen that day (i.e. urgent), telephone appointments, appointments with our nursing team, GP's and our Nurse Practitioner. The GP and Nurse Practitioner appointments can be booked online and the Nurse Practitioner can prescribe and refer the same as a GP.
I am sorry that you were unable to access a GP appointment prior the the 13th March, we did have nurse practitioner appointments available on the 5th March and again I apologise if the reception staff did not offer these to you when you phoned.
We are still accepting new patients into the surgery however our list size remains fairly stable as patients move in and out of the area. As I am sure you are aware there is a shortage of GP's across the country and in the last year the numbers have reduced by 1000. We are recruiting at the moment and have one confirmed GP to start in August and two GP's returning from Maternity Leave later in the year, so this should ease the situation however in the meantime we continue to work hard to meet our patients needs.
If you feel you wish to discuss in person, please feel free to contact me at the surgery either by phone or face to face. I do hope you have now booked an appointment with us, if not please do contact us and we will do our best to arrange a suitable appointment for you.
Practice Manager.

Anonymous gave Armley Medical Centre a rating of 2 stars

Not too pleased with service

1. Had an appointment at 8am, sat in the waiting room waiting to be called in. The GP that I was seeing strolls in at 8.05am then I get called in at 8.10am. To be that shows a lack on professionalism, lack of care for the job and the patients. The GP took my blood pressure and just said that it was all fine, I'm the one that had to ask what the reading was. And even when they gave it to me and I must say I didn't feel confidence in the reading they gave.
2. Reception staff very helpful but can be quiet rude and not very friendly at times.
3. Wait for an appointment is usually 2 weeks, very rarely can you get anything sooner than that.
4. Majority of the GPs I have seen are absolutely wonderful and take their time to listen attentively to your problem. However, I do feel that many others can dismiss what your saying about your concerns and symptoms very quickly, saying its nothing serious. I know they have all the knowledge but it doesn't help that many a time patient have been misdiagnosed for something minor only to be told otherwise later. I feel especially when symptoms go on for a prolonged time and to the patient its a concern then the GPs should take it a bit more serious, rather then giving someone a post-it note with a website where they can get information.
I have considered leaving the practice and already searching to find some where else.

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 01 August 2017

Armley Medical Centre replied on 02 August 2017

Thank you for leaving your comments on NHS Choices. Firstly, please accept my apologies that you are unhappy with the service that you have recently received.
I would welcome the opportunity to discuss with you in more detail, so please do get in touch with the practice if you would like to do so.
Without specific information I am unable to feedback to the individuals concerned however I will give general feedback to GP’s and staff regarding the points you have mentioned.
With regards to appointment waiting times, we have a wide range of appointments available. As well as appointments bookable in advance we have appointments available to book on the day and telephone appointments. We also offer a sit and wait surgery for urgent problems that cannot wait. The doctor on call will also call patient back for urgent matters.
The demand is very high and we do our utmost to monitor the demand for appointments however funding was considerably cut from the 1st April and therefore we have lost a large number of appointments over the course of a week which is why patients are now having to wait longer than the 3 to 4 days for a routine appointment that they were doing previously. This is of course not helped by people booking appointments and then not attending.
Please be assured that we are giving our appointment system our urgent attention and will try and rectify the situation however this will not happen overnight.
Once again, please accept my apologies that you have had cause to be unhappy with our practice, as mentioned previously, please feel free to give me a call if you would like to discuss in more detail.